Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Is this NUTS . . . or what?!?!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Is this NUTS . . . or what?!?! Next Topic
Page: of 2

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  09:53:54 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I am my mother!! She made us hang clothes out in the dead of winter, freezing cold and I thought she was nuts!!!! Now, look at me . . . I'm doing the exact same thing!!!!!

For years all I would use was the dryer, but then in last couple of years started hanging things out again, pretty much all the time.

We have been BURIED in snow and I could hardly get out the door, not to mention getting to the clothes "fence". (It is an 8 ft. game fence that encloses the orchard and runs not far from my house and it's PERFECT for hanging clothes).

Well, I bit the bullet this morning and shoveled a path across the deck and the front yard and along the fence so that I could hang things out again. And, it's SOOO Cold that everything instantly started to freeze!!! But the sun is shining!!
I'm hopeful!!!!
CJ

P.S. And this is after a few days of snow "settling", some sunshine and shoveling and plowing a TREMENDOUS AMOUNT of snow.

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3319 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3319 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  10:04:46 AM  Show Profile
This is going to sound really DUMB CJ....but what do you do when you bring them in all stiff? Do they revert to being all wet again? LOL!

Gosh that has to be hard on your hands wet and cold....

Mel
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  10:47:10 AM  Show Profile
how brave you are!!

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  11:05:36 AM  Show Profile
I was just telling my DH that I should hang some stuff out on the line today! Very cold but the sun is shining. Our yard looked like that until Thursday and Fridays 51 degrees and rain. I would rather have the pretty snow.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  11:25:11 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Melody, your question isn't dumb. When we did it when I was a kid, we brought them in and hung them again all around the house till they were dry. Because our climate is quite dry, things usually freeze dry after a while. We'll see . . . those things don't need to come in anytime soon.

Diane . . we had the same thing happen before Christmas. Got snow and then it warmed up and rained for 4 days and we became a mud bog. If it had been snow then would be more buried than we are now. We got about 2 feet in 2 days but the last 3 days have been clear and COLD, COLD, COLD!!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6614 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6614 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  11:29:48 AM  Show Profile
Only a farm girl would brave the elements CJ to hang their wash. I too love to hang my laundry out but I must admit I have not done it in the winter. Only summer my laundry will be kissed by our Colorado Sun. You are amazing!

Hugs,
Debbie
If you are lucky enough to live in the mountains you are lucky enough.
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  1:14:11 PM  Show Profile
i too was wondering what you were gonna do with "stiff" clothes!? but i will say, the view is absolutely beautiful!! you are lucky to live in such a pretty place!
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  1:54:30 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
Here we always have a breeze, as long as it's dry and not raining, nothing gets stiff.

FarmGirl Sister #123

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  3:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Thought I'd let you all know . . . the laundry is all dry and brought in the house . . .:)

By the way, the mountain in the background is the Mesa Verde (you can't see the far east end which is where you go up to Mesa Verde National Park). It IS a BEAUTIFUL place to live!!! It is where I was raised and grew up . . . on a farm!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  3:35:22 PM  Show Profile
I grew up in the city, so we didn't hang laundry out in my childhood, however my mother did as a child.

We hang the laundry out in the snow too. Today I put my daughters sleeping bag on the line and there were icicles at the bottom of it. LOL! Most days they dry completely too.

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  3:52:30 PM  Show Profile
Just be careful with your sheets especially....they'll break if you're not careful! LOL

"Women are angels...and if someone breaks our wings...we fly on our brooms...we're flexible like that!" -Unknown
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  4:34:29 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Broken sheets . . . hmmmmmmmm!!!!
Just what are your sheets made out of anyway, Kelly?
CJ

Edited by - ceejay48 on Jan 02 2011 4:37:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  5:12:50 PM  Show Profile
oh ceejay, i guess they would break if frozen and dropped. LOL this is fun reading. you farmgirl you happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  8:56:11 PM  Show Profile
CJ...hahaha...seriously, frozen cotton sheets will break if they're bumped/dropped on their way into the house. Speaking from experience here. My mom still "freezes" clothes in the winter. I admit, I use the dryer method when it's so dang cold! LOL

"Women are angels...and if someone breaks our wings...we fly on our brooms...we're flexible like that!" -Unknown
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  9:14:06 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I'm glad I got my sheets in before the sun went down and they froze!!! After we got back from our Christmas trip I did a LOT of laundry and had to use the dryer because it snowed for 2 days and I could hardly get out of the house . . . didn't even consider hanging it all out. But today the sun was shining!!
My sheets are unbroken and safely dried, folded and put away in the linen cabinet . . WHEW!!!!
Yeah . . .just in case you're wondering, there ARE CLEAN sheets on the bed!!!! Thankfully, I have more than one set . . .:)
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  9:38:29 PM  Show Profile
LOL! Oh, CJ! When I saw the picture, I thought, "Wow, those'd be some mighty cold bedsheets and towels to snuggle and wrap oneself in!" I like slipping into crisp, cotton-cold sheets as much as the next person, but those would be a little over the top! LOL! Brrrrrrr - chilly! Thanks for the fun posts and giggles, girls - you all are just too cool! Beautiful view, by the way! - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  10:51:58 AM  Show Profile
Too funny. I hang, but am not as brave as CJ. I have a place set up in my laundry room. Since I didn't get a dryer I have a rack for clothes. There's also a bar in the nook by the shower I can use. I think the builder used it for chin-ups. Sheets take over the dining room chairs over night, but fortunately they are usually dry by morning.

Laurie
p.s. laugh about broken sheets. Never imagined that!

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  6:40:59 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I do have a drying rack I use in the house but it can accommodate only so much. Do use it a lot, but I don't have room to drape sheets in the house.

And, the visual I have of "broken sheets" . . and how it must look just has me laughing!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  3:04:01 PM  Show Profile
Bump...
I saw there was another thread started about hanging laundry out in the winter so thought I'd bump this up!

"Never regret something that once made you smile." -Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  5:29:45 PM  Show Profile
That looks really cold. Been wanting to move up north but after these 2 really cold winters here in central Florida I am not so sure I want to move now!! Love the picture. The snow and mountains are awesome.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  7:07:16 PM  Show Profile
I've hung clothes out in thick fog, we get that here in Central California.

When I bring them in hours later, they are just as wet! So I use the dryer.

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

My blog, http://hiddenacre.blogspot.com/
Our Organic Jewelry, http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaelicForge
Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  7:11:04 PM  Show Profile
I just wanted to add, I really like your laundry photo!

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

My blog, http://hiddenacre.blogspot.com/
Our Organic Jewelry, http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaelicForge
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  7:23:59 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Well, girls, most of that snow has melted and I can get out there more easily. However, we NEED more snow, so we're waiting for more. Then I'll have to dig out again.
We live in a BEAUTIFUL part of SW Colorado and have mountain views out all of our windows . . and they are not far to drive to get to.
CJ

Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  07:15:24 AM  Show Profile
Here is one of our outdoor lines. A typical laundry day for us.

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  10:06:20 AM  Show Profile
Ok, now I know I will have to be careful with my sheets :) haha! I am going to get my clothesline hooked up outside (Since we moved in, there are clothesline posts but no line!) I am going to be letting my clothes freeze dry too! Once we got our dryer hooked up, I had been using that because I don't have enough places to air dry my clothes here in the house. Our electric bill went up $100. That is just not ok with me. I want to become as self sufficient as I can get. Paying $100 to dry my clothes in the house isn't worth it one penny. I would much rather let them dry outside and from the looks of it I can totally dry them outside!

When our washer breaks again I want to get that manual one from Lehman's magazine. From the looks of it, it really doesn't seem like it would take any longer really to do the laundry. Once my kids get older they can help on laundry day too! Being self sufficient is so much more satisfying than paying any money for convenience. I've noticed modern conveniences tend to rob us of the joy of a job well done. Thanks for posting this so people like me can find out we too can be self sufficient! :)

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  10:08:16 AM  Show Profile
Lol
My Mom use to do the same thing when we lived in the county on the farm
I was to little to help
she didn't have a regular washer
she had a wringer washer and she got her hand caught in the rollers one time.
Any ways
She use to change our clothes ; being 4 kids , 3 brothers, and I am the youngest
Any ways
When we went to school the teachers sent home notes telling her not to change us into new clean clothes every day that she was killing herself which was true.
Mother is 81 now.
my brother that is next to me in line ; ha lives with her now.
She doesn't have to work now.
I am thankful for that
I told her ; she worked her self out when we were growing up !! hug sheila

http://www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com/

http://www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Is this NUTS . . . or what?!?! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page