Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  10:02:16 AM  Show Profile
Most of you know we moved in the country on our small farm
Problem:
Cows, deer , etc.
We only have 1 cow now seeing that we had to trade 5 of our cows to BIL for work on our old city house ( which by the way hasn't sold been 2 years now !)
We have an eletric fence up.
mind you in ain't the best
But, it should be enough to keep out the dang cows right.??
Wrong
Frustration ; with hubby's brothers.
Years, and years ago Hubby brought a new tractor.
We weren't even down here yet.
He hardly ever got to use it
Both Brothers have used it and about worn it out.
Anyways.
Son, and I get frustrated about the cows,
Our yard is almost gone to pot because of them,
Dog Question;
We don't have a any pets
What breed of dog would you farm girls suggestion that would chase and keep the cows out of the yard.
The deer haven't been up for awhile
I know there isn't much you can do about them
I have seen them jump the fences !!
Any ways ;
What kind of dog would you suggest? hugs sheila

http://www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com/

http://www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  12:57:29 PM  Show Profile
A Big one!!!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  1:10:45 PM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
Australian Shepherd or Border Collie - even a Blue-Heeler. These dogs are all bred to manage cows. They won't "run" them unless commanded, and they are highly intelligent (although my husband says he's never seen a more hard-headed dog than a blue-heeler - no offense to any owners...) They are decent sized dogs, great with kids and other animals, good watch-dogs, and our shepherds even learned to spell. We had to keep changing the word for "cookie" as they would tear the door down when we mentioned their favorite treat - vanilla wafers. I don't have a "yard" dog anymore. I have a cat that just barely allows me to live at my house...you know cats and their "cattitude..." My husband keeps catahoulas for hunting purposes, but when something happens to Sassy Meow, then I want another Australian Shepherd. They are truly special animals.

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  1:32:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree with the breeds that Holly mentions, however the heeler breeds are more designed for cattle as they will nip to get the cows moving, however they are more apt to run off. They are more independant than the Shepherd dogs.

As for Austrailian Shepherds, I have seen lots of Aussies be very timid which is fine around flightly sheep but cows take come bossing. So you have to be careful and get one that has a good strong attitude.

Also to make sure your dog doesn't become a livestock problem (getting into pastures and running them for fun) I would make sure to either buy a trained dog or hire someone to train the dog for you.

Are the cows busting through the fences or just wandering in from the road?

I personally love the Australian Shepherds, but if you do get an Aussie, make sure it has a good solid attitude on it- like I said- sometimes they can be pretty timid.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  1:45:00 PM  Show Profile
Karla
Lol, One of hubby's brothers who lives in the old family farm house has a huge ger- man shepared dog.
He is old very friendly if he knows you and huge .
Holly, I like the sound of the blue heeler
Alee
Yep, BIL mended the fence 2 times this week and so has hubby.
I haven't mention the dog in a while
He really doesn't want one ; but we have to do something
I love cats and small lap dogs.
I love the white dog on the commerical . hugs sheila

Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  2:42:32 PM  Show Profile
I just thought it was funny! We have always had mutts & they were the best! I am glad you thought it was funny too!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  3:55:16 PM  Show Profile
LOL! Karla - you made me break out in laughter! You are just too funny! LOL!

Shiela - I haven't ever owned a farm, but my aunt and uncle always had a big ol' hound dog or two on theirs. They always had "mutts" and they always were the best - Karla's absolutely right! I did have quite a few experiences with shepherds, though; each and every one developed liver and/or pancreatic disease and hip dysplasia, and, sadly, died "young." We were told that this is one of their hereditary traits. They were some of the most loyal and loving dogs, though. :) Good luck in choosing!

Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  4:03:04 PM  Show Profile
Hay Ya'll Sheila, one cow is not very content. Is it a "She"? If so, get her breed and that will settle her down some. Dogs tend to run the cows right thru the fences around here so we have a rule that you keep your dogs at home. The best bet is a good tight fence. Hog wire at the bottom and 2 or three strands of barb wire at the top, spaced out about 3 inches. The barb wire is so when she reaches to the other side her neck gets pricked (not cut) and it is uncomfortable to her. So she stops thinking that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. Tee Hee. Be sure to use a come-a-long to make the fence tight or you could make use of the "family" tractor to pull it tight. Is it a bull? Get him a girlfriend and babies will soon follow. Is it a Steer? then a friend of either sex will help. Winter is a good time to find an inexpensive cow since grass is not growing and ranchers may be selling cows that don't look really good but will bounce back when green-up happens. That is just around the corner. Hope this helps. Love and Prayers, Daizy

PHR Farmgirl #1093
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  09:14:28 AM  Show Profile
Nibini
thanks for the suggestion
Daisy,
it is a female cow. We sold 2 of her "buddies" this past fall as they started the whole thing.
We sold this cow to his brother, so she is no longer ours.
thanks for the suggestions hugs sheila

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  09:39:34 AM  Show Profile
Well, if brother is not around all the time then she could come up "missing" and then you could invite the family over for a big cook-out....Just a suggestion.... Love ya Daizy

PHR Farmgirl #1093
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Farm Dog Question; Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page