mywunderfullife
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amanda
Douglas WY
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2010 :  1:22:15 PM  Show Profile
I got a grain mill for Christmas and now I need some help.

I have some Prairie Gold hard white winter wheat berries from Wheat Montana.

My question is: How do I go about substituting my fresh ground wheat flour for regular flour in my recipes? I'm sure that I am gong to have to make some changes but I am not sure what I need to be doing.

So, I just need some help figuring out how to make the best of my new grinder! Does anyone else grind their own flour? Do you substitute straight across? Half and half? I made dinner rolls for Christmas with some flour that I ground, but I used 2 cups fresh wheat flour with 2 cups unbleached white flour. They were wonderful!!

Thanks for the help!

"don't outsmart your common sense and never let your praying knees get lazy"

Farmgirl #2424!!

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2010 :  6:13:19 PM  Show Profile
amanda i find if i use pure ground wheat it is too strong a flavor and a little heavy. so i use some store unbleached bread flour and add my fresh ground to it. about like you are doing. i also use a red wheat that i like for bread also. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2010 :  9:08:10 PM  Show Profile
Amanda,
We grind our wheat both with a Nutrimill and also with a stone grinder, the Little Ark. I love stone ground flour and cornmeal, however, if I'm making a bunch of bread, the Nutrimill's speed is a necessity. Anyway, I have cooked both with total whole wheat and with half and half with all purpose unbleached. My husband likes the half and half better. One thing that I have found with using all whole wheat flour in my breads in any amount is that sifting is a must. I sift the heck out of mine - 4 times - to add air to it before measuring. Flour that you get at the store is presifted and so when measuring you aren't really adding as much as if the flour weren't sifted. That makes your breads lighter. The sifters that have the handle that you squeeze don't work for whole wheat. Only the type with the handle that turns works. You can see one like I am talking about on my website at http://www.oklahomapastrycloth.com/shop/product/8TQNRFB33MJDE/11/3

I have also found that kneading is of utmost importance and so I now knead my doughs with a kitchenaid mixer using dough hooks for 8-10 minutes. Another must is 'dough enhancer' or lecithin which is a powder and which makes your dough have a more uniform texture. Experiment with your flour and see if you like the results using all whole wheat and if you don't, add reg flour and see how you like that.

And if you are looking for a good recipe using the prairie gold freshly ground flour, you can go to my blog at http://www.oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog/?p=608 for a wonderful sandwich bread recipe. I just made two loaves last night and sliced and served them today for our extended family Christmas get together, using it to make ham sandwiches and tuna sandwiches. That bread always gets me rave reviews. Have fun with your new toy and let us see a picture of your results!! :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com

The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

mywunderfullife
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amanda
Douglas WY
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  06:59:20 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Mary Beth so much!! I was actually going to email you after I saw the blog post for the Jum-Jills and I saw that you were using fresh ground flour! Can't wait to try the bread recipe and will do that today as we are nearly out of bread. I made chocolate chip cookies yesterday with all whole wheat flour. They weren't too bad, a bit different, but definetely worth eating! :)

I am so excited to have a grinder and to be able to experiment with new recipes and trying to change our old favorites. Thank you both for all the help. I only have the prairie gold wheat at this point, once I get things figured out I want to try out some of the hard red wheat to see what the flavor is like. Luckily my family has always eaten wheat bread so it's not going to be a huge change for them.

Farmgirl #2424!!
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  07:24:22 AM  Show Profile
Amanda-Congratulations! Welcome to the world of awsome flour! I would first like to reccomend a book "The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book" by Laurel Robertson. This book will help you understand working with whole wheat in bread making. There are many different grains out there so give them a try. For my main staples I use Red Hard Spring Wheat, it give me that stronger wheat flavor that Sherrye was talking about. Hard White Winter Wheat, is what I mostly use the flavor is a bit milder to me. Soft Winter Wheat is going to be your pastry flour for cookies and cakes. When I make cookies or cakes I use half of my pastry flour and half unbleached white and haven't had a problem. As far as bread goes I make whole wheat all of the time and never have had to use the dough enhancers or lecitin. The most important thing to know is that kneading is what whole wheat needs! You will want to knead your bread for 10-20 minutes. I just throw my ingredients into the Kitchen Aid and let it do it's job. Also use milk instead of water and this will help you get a better rise.

If you mill up extra flour to have handy make sure you store it in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer to prevent spoilage. I put mine in gallon ziplocks and keep in the freezer.

Some other options to try are Kamut, it has a great flavor. I mix it half kamut and half Winter wheat and make into bread. Barley is a fun one to play with too. Of corse you can always mix up a batch of whole wheat flour and white flour, it makes a great tasting bread too!

It will take time to get used to making whole wheat bread and you will have some loaves that turn out like a rock, but in time you will understand how it works. I really do reccomend the above book, it helped me to understand how whole wheat works. Enjoy.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  09:07:55 AM  Show Profile
Lillian, we are two of a kind! I package my wheat in ziploc bags too and keep them in the freezer. I use the soft white wheat for my cookies, pie crusts, etc and use a 7 grain mix for some of my breads, as well as all purpose mixed with whole wheat. I love home baked bread. It is my biggest downfall! No bon-bons for me. Just hand me a slice of freshly baked bread and a slab of butter and I'm done!! :-)

Amanda, have fun with your baking! Isn't it fun learning something new?! Yayyy.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com

The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

mywunderfullife
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amanda
Douglas WY
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  09:41:54 AM  Show Profile
Lillian, I got that book ordered and on its way to my house!! Thank you for the suggestion. I always like getting new books, so this is a great excuse to buy a new one!! :)

I too love homemade bread. The heal especially!! And with butter!! There's nothing better to me. Thanks again for all the great suggestions. I think that I will have a good time experimenting with the mixing of all-purpose and whole wheat for different things. And nothing better than whole wheat bread!

Farmgirl #2424!!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  10:01:05 AM  Show Profile
I finally got the lid I had ordered for my Whisper Mill. And I just bought 60 pounds of soft red wheat from S. Ga. SO I am making the Grandmother Bread from Chickens In The Road blog. I love that bread. I have made it with just plain AP flour. Then used half WW flour. Today I am using mostly the soft red wheat with a little AP flour. It's in the 2nd rise right now. I'll let y'all know how it turns out in a little bit. If you've never tried that bread, go the CITR blog and check out her recipes. Lots of good ones there.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  11:36:53 AM  Show Profile
Mary Beth-You are so right there is nothing better than warm bread and a slab of real butter!!!! I forgot about using 7-grains. I usually pick up the 7-grain cereal in the store (I go to Bob's Red Mill)and mill it up at home, it makes great hambutger buns!

Glad you ordered the book Amanda there is so much information in it! What kind of mill did you get?

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  1:18:15 PM  Show Profile
I grind my own wheat, usually a mixture of hard red (for the taste) and hard white (to make a lighter dough). When I started using whole wheat flour I did add some white flour or may family wouldn't eat it. I now make my bread with only whole wheat flour and I don't use dough enhancer or lecithin. I agree with others that you have to knead it a lot. I found I just had to try out my favorite recipes to see if I could use whole wheat or had to add whiite flour. Most cookies worked well with wheat but my family prefers cinnamon rolls with white flour added.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  3:47:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi Amanda,
I am lucky to have a Wheat Montana here locally. I grind my flour fresh and use it the same as I would other flours. King Arthur flour has a no-fail, 100% whole wheat bread recipe that I use all the time and LOVE. I use all Prairie Gold in that recipe.

"Women are angels...and if someone breaks our wings...we fly on our brooms...we're flexible like that!" -Unknown
Go to Top of Page

mywunderfullife
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amanda
Douglas WY
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  08:55:15 AM  Show Profile
Lillian, I got a Kitchen Mill from Blendtec. My mom picked it out for me as my Christmas gift. She liked the warranty on it. So far, so good. I am just excited because it is electric. The first one I got wasn't and it took FOREVER to get a cup of flour. That really bummed me out because my mom had gotten me a 25lb sack of wheat berries while she was in Montana. So I am very excited to have it!!

Kelly, when my mom was in Montana she went to Wheat Montana to get me some wheat. Mom wound up calling me because she wasn't sure what I wanted and then I talked to one of the ladies that worked there. Such a sweet person and so very helpful too!! I was very impressed with the service through them and hopefully I will get up there to one of the stores someday soon. I have a King Arthur Whole Grain cookbook so I will look up that recipe and give it a try. I didn't get any bread making done yesterday as I had to go to town. So today is the day!!

Thanks so much, you ladies are AWESOME and so very helpful!!

Farmgirl #2424!!
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  1:46:55 PM  Show Profile
OOOH! I Love that KA cookbook! In fact I love all of the KA cookbooks. Have fun in your adventure and keep us updated.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  07:16:25 AM  Show Profile
i learned so much from this thread. all this knowledge right here for us. i was saying this on another thread. each day i come and learn something new. i am going to make bread today. trying your ideas too. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

mywunderfullife
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amanda
Douglas WY
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  7:24:42 PM  Show Profile
So, yesterday I made Mary Beth's bread recipe from her blog. Turned out very nice. Not sure I got enough flour into it, I kinda lost track! :) Anyway, it is very nice and sliced up beautifully this morning for sandwiches for my hubby's lunch. Now I can't wait to try the Grandma's Bread. I think that may be tomorrow. We are expecting a storm so we are going to be holed up at home. As long as the power stays on, I think I will try some new things!!

This thread is awesome Sherry!! I have learned a ton of info! Can't wait for my new cookbook to get here. At least it shouldn't be here by Friday, I would hate to be snowed in at home, knowing that it was sitting in my mailbox!! We only get mail 3 days a week so going to get the mail is very exciting around here!! So that cookbook better hurry up!!

Farmgirl #2424!!
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  12:39:23 AM  Show Profile
I ordered my nurtimill on Monday so it should be here anyday and I just logged into the forums looking for help as to what to do first when my mill arrives the library didn't offer up much help. There were some great pointers here. Looking forward to milling my first batch of flour

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

mywunderfullife
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amanda
Douglas WY
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  09:50:37 AM  Show Profile
Pamela, Have fun! I know that I have. I have alot of wheat berries so I am going to mill some to give to my friend for part of her Christmas present. We've haven't been able to get together yet, but will on Sunday and I know she is going to love it. I may have to start trading her eggs for flour!! :)

Farmgirl #2424!!
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  07:10:30 AM  Show Profile
I just read in the paper this morning that wheat prices are about to go through the roof. The title is "Weather woes send wheat prices soaring" So I plan on ordering all the wheat I will need for a couple of months before the price goes up

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  07:27:09 AM  Show Profile
Pamela, that's why we ordered several hundred pounds of wheat berries. They should be here sometime in Jan. The prices we paid for the red and white wheat are the same now as they were when we first started making bread this way. $13.50 for 50 pounds. kamut is still about $35-40 for 50 pounds. But really not too bad. I ordered enough to last at least 2-3 years. But a few years ago we heard the same thing and wheat was about $35. per 50 pounds. You just never know what it will be or what the weather will do.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  2:39:10 PM  Show Profile
I'm so excited!! My nurtimill showed up today.... I wish the bbooks I ordered would show up so I can mill some flour and bake something

I just checked with Azure and they are selling 50lb sack of hard white wheat berries for 24.85 Is there a better location to order from?

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  5:53:18 PM  Show Profile
Pamela I buy from Bob's Red Mill in Milwaukee Oregon. Yes I am fortunate enough to drive there and pick up my berries so I don't know what shipping is, but you should check them out.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  6:03:15 PM  Show Profile
Lillian, the good news is that our town(550) has a small store run by mennonites. I just went in this evening to check and I can get a 50 bag right here in town fo $22. They have several types. The "men" were in the store this evening and sai I should come back tomorrow and talk to the ladies about which ones to purchase. David (one of the owners) said they mill all their own flour each morning to bake bread. So tomorrow I'm going back in the AM and by afternoon I should have my first batch of bread

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

mywunderfullife
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amanda
Douglas WY
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  06:30:34 AM  Show Profile
Well, good to know about wheat prices possibly going up. I think I will get some more wheat coming. I noticed that since I started to grind it, my wheat berries are really going down. Which is great!! I'm making bread again today and some hamburger buns so I get to grind some more. I even ground a gallon size ziploc bag for a friend so that she could try it.

Pamela, how fun to have a mennonite store near you. Some of our hunters get alot of stuff from a local Amish store and his wife sent me a cookbook which I love. I am fascinated by that lifestyle and hope to someday visit Amish country. Would love to visit a store!

Farmgirl #2424!!
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  07:07:37 AM  Show Profile
Amanda,
Hamburger buns sound great. I plan on running up to the store and get the Prarie Gold, and Bronze Chief in just a few minutes I'm so glad the carry Wheat Montana product. I'm so excited. I'll let you know how my baking works out today. I did pick up some dough conditioner, but my recipe also calls for Wheat Gluten so I'm getting some of that too. I'll be posting several time today I'm sure. :-)

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  07:20:46 AM  Show Profile
I just found out yesterday that our big wheat order won't be here til March now. So I am off to find some hard white. We have a 7th Day Adventist country store on the other side of the mountain. They have it there so I guess I'll be going today. I also need yeast.

What kind of yeast do y'all use?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  07:59:24 AM  Show Profile
I don't know what my brand is. Just got back with my berries. :-) I'm off and milling.

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Fresh ground flour Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page