True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  08:29:43 AM  Show Profile
Question,
I've always kneaded my dough by hand but along with the mill I got a bosh mixer. Should my dough have the consistency as if I hand kneaded it or should it be just a little sitcky?

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  11:37:45 AM  Show Profile

Finished the first batch of bread and ate one loaf then gave the rest to friends. I found a Pita bread recipe in the Bosh book trying it next

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

mywunderfullife
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amanda
Douglas WY
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  12:16:19 PM  Show Profile
Love the picture Pamela!! My downfall is fresh bread with butter. YUM!! There are so many recipes that sound so good that I want to try. Awww, the weight I may gain!! :)

"don't outsmart your common sense and never let your praying knees get lazy"

Farmgirl #2424!!
Go to Top of Page

mywunderfullife
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amanda
Douglas WY
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  12:17:56 PM  Show Profile
As far as the kneading with the mixer and how the dough should look...I have no clue, hopefully someone will get on here and be able to answer that, I would like to know as well!!

Farmgirl #2424!!
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  2:24:52 PM  Show Profile

it's hard to see, but that is Pita bread baking in the oven. It was made with the Hard Red wheat berries.
I flavor is sooooo, I am hooked on my own milled flour now. Can't see myself ever buying store bought bread again. I'm looking forward to trying Rice, beans, and anything else I can find a recipe for

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

mywunderfullife
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amanda
Douglas WY
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  03:56:35 AM  Show Profile
Pita Bread!! YUM! It looks really neat in the oven! That is something that I would like to try as well!! I see that I am going to need to get some Hard Red wheat berries coming! Thanks for sharing all your baking!!

Farmgirl #2424!!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  06:06:08 AM  Show Profile
I have a Magic Mill "Assistant". It's a heavy duty mixer with the paddle and roller arm and big stainless steel bowl. When I first started out grinding my grain and making this bread I tried a few other things, thinking they'd be cheaper and would work. Well, yes, they were cheaper. But did not work with this fresh ground flour that needs lots of kneading to get it where it needs to be. SO I bit the bullet and bought this machine. It also came with a plastic mixing bowl and a flaker which I absolutely love for flaking fresh oats.

Anyway, what I was told is that this whole wheat fresh ground flour needs at least 12 minutes of hard kneading to get all the natural glutens to make it soft. I use the Bread Beckers recipes. I also went ahead a few years ago and bought the Zojurushi bread maker. I like it ok but do not bake the bread in it.It was about $200.00.

I hope this helps.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Jan 06 2011 06:40:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

mywunderfullife
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amanda
Douglas WY
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  06:38:28 AM  Show Profile
I like my bread machine for mixing the bread but not for baking! It seems to dry out so fast, and the texture is a bit off. But for mixing...Yes! Thanks for the info, I have been reading that it does take alot of kneading to get the glutens going and make a nice bread.

Farmgirl #2424!!
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  06:39:43 AM  Show Profile
The Pita bread was super simple. Almost too simple to make. The issue was that my smoke detecors in the house were NOT happy. You have to preheat the oven and bake them at 500. I had to run around the house and pull the batteries before the fire department showed up LOL. I already had a baking stone and that really helped a lot.

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  06:42:50 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kristin sherrill

I have a Magic Mill "Assistant". It's a heavy duty mixer It also came with a plastic mixing bowl and a flaker which I absolutely love for flaking frsh ots.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Now that sounds interesting. Because I don't see where I can do anything with oats in the nutrimill. (I'd have to check again but the manual said not to put oats or any oil seeds through the mill.)

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  06:45:00 AM  Show Profile
I learned something new. That you make cornmeal from popcorn kernels. I may have to find some colored popcorn and try that out.

What have all of you milled besides standard wheat flour?

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  06:56:42 AM  Show Profile
Pita bread from the Bosh mixer book

3-4 Cups freshly milled wheat flour
1TB yeast
1 1/4 C water
1/2 tsp salt

Place water, 2cups of four, yeast and salt in "Bosh" bowl with dough hook. Start on speed 1 Mix 30 seconds. Add additional flour 1 cup at a time until dough makes a sticky ball. Let knead 3-4 minutes.
Using oiled hands remove dough from bowl. Divide dough into balls approx. the size of tennis balls. Using a floured surface roll balls into 5-6" circles about 1/8" thick. Pick up circle and flip over onto a clean dry towel. Repeat with remaining balls. Place dry towel over them and let rest for 20 minutes. preheat oven to 500 (preheating is the key and have the stone in the oven if using that) When ready to bake, pick up pitas and flip over again onto a baking stone or steel cooling rack. Place in oven and let 4-5 minutes. Remove and let cool then stuff with your favorite filling

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  07:31:05 AM  Show Profile
Lets see here I have milled-
Hard White Wheat
Red Hard Wheat
Soft White Wheat
Kamut
Barley
Rye
Buckwheat
Corn
Black Beans
and I am sure there is more.....

As far as the Oats go, if you have whole oats then you need a flaker. If you already have oatmeal then you just throw it into the blender to make oat flour.

Kneading- I knead mine with my Kitchen Aid and it usually takes about 10-15 minutes depending on what I have used in the bread. My kneaded dough does not look sticky.

Popcorn- When I first recieved my mill I made a trip up to Bob's and was looking at all of the goodies they had. About my third trip around the store (a bit overwhelmed) I ran across two women. One was shopping for herself and at the same time teaching her sister what everything was and how to use it. So I promply jumped in and explained that I had just purchased a mill and needed some help and would they mind if I listened in on the lesson. They were happy to have me along and it was a truley wonderful experience. Any way that was one of my questions-can I mill popcorn? Her answer was yes but it doesn't taste as good as regular corn. Because of that I have never tried it and am truely happy with the regular corn. I have heard that it can be done though. Cornbread made from freshly milled corn is absolutly wonderful! You will never go back to that stuff they call cornmeal in the store.

The picture of the pita bread is great! I made brownies yesterday and they had absolutly no white flour in them and once again they turned out great. This way I get to call them "healthy"!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  3:34:01 PM  Show Profile
I have ground about the same as Lillian except beans. I have made cornmeal with whole dried corn. But with my grinder it's very fine. And I like a courser corn flour.

My flaker came with the mixer, Pamela. Not the grinder. It comes with alot of attachments but they are all separate and quite pricey. I'd love to have the meat grinder. maybe someday. But I really do love the flaker. I buy whole oat graots and grind about a quart at a time and put it in the freezer for oatmeal or cookies.

I am so frustrated right now with Bosch. Ihad to order a lid for my Whisper Mill grinder because my old one started craking. I'd get flour dust all over the place. So my friend ordered it for me. She gets it and I go pick it up. Well, it didn't come with the little filter. So she ordered that. I get it. But still when I ground the wheat I'd get dust everywhere. It finally dawned on me that the little white cup that goes inside the lid was missing. I threw the old one away thinking that a new one came with everything. So I call and order a cup. It's like $4. plus $a5.oo for shipping. I just thought that was a bit outrageous. So I asked about that and they said they could just send it parcel post alot cheaper. Like $10. cheaper. Good grief! So it cost about $10. So I got it last week. It's not the right one. It does NOT fit my lid. So I just called and she knows exactly what I am talking about. Then she says they don't have that cup. But that she'd talk to someone tomorrow and call me back. Thsi is getting crazy already. Has anyone else had to deal with stuff like this? I mean, this has been going on a few months now. I'll have to put a wet washcloth over the filter to keep dust from flying if I want to make bread now.

But I did find some hard white wheat today. So I will try to make some tonight.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  4:47:47 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kris
I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Even though I did order my Bosh online there is a Bosh dealer in the next city (75 miles)next time over there I plan on stopping in to see what else there is.
So if a person uses dried corn for cornmeal and not popcorn where do you get the dried corn from?

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  5:20:01 PM  Show Profile
We have a 7th Day Adventist store nearby. They have lots of grains and have dried whole corn there. Do you have anything like that? Or maybe an Amish store? I plan on growing Hickory King corn to dry this spring. It makes great cornmeal.

I just looked at the shipping label on the mail envelope. It says $1.56. And I paid about $6.00. I will let them know about that when she calls back. That's not right. I did look up Bosch online and found the exact one I have. I may end up ordering from them before it's over.

I have another question. I just bought all new yeast, gluten and lecithin. Does anyone know how long they should last for the best results? I have some dough rising right now with all new stuff. I hope it turns out this time. I threw all the other stuff out.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

mywunderfullife
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amanda
Douglas WY
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  5:14:44 PM  Show Profile
Pamela, Thank You so much for the pits bread recipe! I can't wait to try them.
Lillian, I think that I may have to find some corn to grind after reading your post about the cornbread being so good. I love cornbread anyway!!

Farmgirl #2424!!
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  6:16:00 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, I have a really good sandwich bread recipe and a cornbread recipe at my blog with photos of the step-by-step if you are interested. Go to the link below, click on the blog button and on the list of posts you'll see "breads". Just hoping they can help you. Have great fun!!
:-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com

The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  07:58:33 AM  Show Profile
My only addition to the cornbread-If you have a castiron skillet bake it in that! It doesn't get any better than that!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  11:05:18 AM  Show Profile
I never did get a call back from these people. I'll call them back Monday. And my bread turned out great! Just like when I first started making it. It is so good. I also made rolls for hubby. He takes them with him in his truck.

Mary Beth, I have saved your post for your recipes. This is my resolution this year. To olny make my bread. No store bought. Although I will miss the good sourdough from Greenlife. And no, I cannot make it like them. Or MJ, either. I did see someone's recipe for buttermilk sourdough that I am going to try soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  08:40:06 AM  Show Profile
I milled and made some bread yesterday. Still learning to "read" the mixer for kneading and working with glutens. First batch went in the compsot pail the second truned out yummy. Talked for awhile with one of the ladies at the local country store and she told me if I want to try with course ground flour to let it soak in hot water for a couple of mintues first. I may try a course bread next. PS my seed catalog's are showing up and this year I'm going to try and grow flour corn.

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  11:37:59 AM  Show Profile
Amanda how is your milling coming along?

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Fresh ground flour Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page