1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  8:14:17 PM  Show Profile
I'll be back Cheryle!
God's and Winter's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

CalamityAnnie
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Carrie
Byron NY
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  11:00:34 AM  Show Profile
My goal this year is to stop making excuses!! I figured out the only thing that keeps me from getting or doing the things I really want to do with my life are my excuses for NOT doing them....so I'm done with excuses! :)
I want to drink less soda...so I will make sure there is just less of it to drink around here.I will "forget" to buy a case at the store.
I want to expand my herb garden and get back to my writing, plant more varieties of raspberry and strawberries, declutter my basement so I can make a cat friendly play area where I can foster cats from the shelter, learn to spin and make soap....so I will stop using the excuse about not enough time and make time even if it's a few minutes a day.

It seems like a simple goal but it might be the hardest one I have ever made. I want a life that is more peaceful but I grew up in a house where only "real" work was acceptable. Any moment not spent "working" was lazy...

Carrie ~ New Farmgirl #2435
Maybe I'd be happy to let it all go and dedicate my life to making jelly molds, Learn to cook, learn to sew..I'm a happy homemaker" ~ Melanie Doane
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  3:10:51 PM  Show Profile
Well, we have only just finished the first week of the year. I have just completed my 2 vacation days in which I shread a bunch of old papers. Now before you go mad on me I had previously gone through a divorce and had to keep said paperwork for a lawsuit and it had alot of personal information. Just the act of shreading feels like a 100 pound weight has been lifted. I wrote out all of my balances - savings and debits. I talked with my broker and he had a program that shows me how to most efficiantly pay down my debits. He told me to take the money out of my savings and quickly pay two small ones and then work on the visa, mc, and medical bill. I up'd my 401k cleaned up my office/craft room and took 7 bags to the goodwill from my closet and Christmas items that I no longer use. I am reading my bible and pack a weeks worth of lunches on Sunday night to a)save money and keep to my diet. The one thing I seem to be stuck on is that it has been so long since I have had to oppertunity to dream about what I want to do when I retire- I just don't know what that is anylonger? I haven't allowed myself or haven't had the time to pursue anything. And things have changed with the economy, I just don't know if what I once wanted would work now but I also don't know what else I would be good at? Does anyone else have this problem? Please let me know how you are comming along. I feel like I have taken several positive steps towards my New Years Goals how about you?

Love will make a way out of no way. -Lynda Barry

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  08:46:28 AM  Show Profile
Wow Cheryle - you made a fabulous start. My goals are so long term I have to be very patient. I have started though by only buying things I really need and have found that even though we are on the tightest paycheck to paycheck budget we have ever been on that I had money left over at the end of the week - weird huh? I feel super-postive about that.
I also made a contact with a friend in the industry I work in to let me know if she hears of any jobs - I'm not planning a change till after my son leaves for college in September but if the right thing came along.......

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  10:35:07 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the positive feedback! I really want to meet my goals this year. I applaud your Patience. I took my credit cards out of my wallet and froze them in a block of ice. No small thing for a gal who has never carried cash! I only get $50.00 a paycheck ($25.00 a week)mad money and when its gone its gone. I hope you will continue in your efforts to reach your goals and let us know each month what you are doing to reach those goals. Also let us all know how we can cheer you on I would just love too. Happy New Year!

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

CalamityAnnie
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Carrie
Byron NY
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  11:19:20 AM  Show Profile
I think I'm off to a good start.
I have already cut WAAAAY back on the caffine/soda intake. I now try to limit myself to only one serving a day and have gone some days with none. This coming from a person who can and did drink up to 4 or 5 a day. I have moved to water with lemon or with spearmint. The caffine depravation makes me a little crabby some days.I'm so glad I don't smoke so I don't have to try to "quit" anything else :)
I am also working through my "no more excuses" goals.
I grew up in a home where my mother was VERY particular about how the house was decorated (I was not even allowed to really hang up posters or anything in my room growing up) and so I grew up sort of "afraid" to decorate. Consequently I have about a million paintings, photos and "things" that have been waiting for years (as in a DECADE or so...) to be hung up because I get so stressed about how and where to hang things that I just give up. So in the past week I went out bought frames and some scrapbooking supplies and got all of the pictures all fancied up. Then I cut out paper bags the same size as the frames and taped them to the wall where I wanted them to go. Now I have been able to see where the pictures will be and move them around into a pleasing fashion before I hang them up. I have become used to seeing the paper bags on the wall now and it should be much easier and less stressful for me to ACTUALLY hang something nice up.
It seems weird I know but..... :)

Maybe I'd be happy to let it all go and dedicate my life to making jelly molds, Learn to cook, learn to sew..I'm a happy homemaker" ~ Melanie Doane
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  4:35:55 PM  Show Profile
Yea Carrie- I am raising my hands in the air for you farmsister! What a GREAT start you have made. My my, they say actually that caffine is really hard to quit so I really admire you for that one. I think it would be hard for me to give up my coffee fix. What a great idea about the pictures...I would not have thought about that. It seems like it is a great way to sort of see the layout and get a feel prior to making a commitment. I had an EX that never wanted anything on the walls = people always thought we had just moved in! You will have to post a picture when you have made one final decision. I would just love to see it. Keep working on your "no excuses" goal and let us know how best to cheer you on. GREAT JOB!

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  8:15:32 PM  Show Profile
Okay, so I've been doing pretty well. I spent my Christmas gift cards for books, and now I'm going to be reading, reading, reading, all year long! I have definitely been staying on top of schoolwork, and first semester exams are just winding down, which I think I did really well. I now will have time to write more. I have almost $100 ready to go into the bank. I have also picked the three charities I want to give money to this year. And I also have books prepared to sell. That pretty much covers all of my resolutions!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  5:27:55 PM  Show Profile
Megan, I can't believe you have already save a hundred bucks! Wow, that is really great. If you keep going at that rate you will save a minimum of $1200.00 squeek out alittle extra and who knows?! Well done girlfriend. So I would like to know if you would like to share a couple of things - Ok? What good books did you buy? What were the Charities? Will you write everyday? I think you are off to a superb and thoughtful New Year! Ok-Its also remarkable your doing really well in school too!!!!!!

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  9:02:43 PM  Show Profile
Cheryle, I can answer those questions! I bought some young adult books: Ice by Sarah Beth Durst, Bullyville, and Book of a Thousand Days. They all look pretty good, so I'm excited to read them! I have decided to donate to the following charities: The Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation (it runs in my family), The Wisconsin Humane Society (all of our dogs have come from there), and The Next Door Foundation. The Next Door Foundation is a charter school in the Milwaukee Public School system that tries to educate underprivileged kids who would otherwise just be lost in the regular school system. I'm really excited! I also do hope to write some everyday.
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

CalamityAnnie
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Carrie
Byron NY
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  04:15:09 AM  Show Profile
I loved Book of a thousand days! I also read young adult fiction since those are the writing I would like to get published someday. I think that as one of my "excuse items", getting back to writing will be the hardest thing to do. I thik it's the thing that scares me the most.....

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  9:04:49 PM  Show Profile
Glad it's a good read Carrie. It looked interesting, and it's different from what I usually read. That's also what I like to write (seeing as that I'm a teenager, it's easiest too!)
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  6:58:04 PM  Show Profile
I am always looking for new books to read! I admire your choices in charity work...I think it is really a thoughtful thing for you to do. I am glad you will write everyday! Sounds like you are off to a very good start. Tell me to you volenteer your time, tallent or funds?

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  11:08:52 AM  Show Profile
Checking in Ladies and you should too! Happy February everyone. We have just gotten a ton of snow and now its super cold here in the Windy City. I'd like to say I am holding my own on my goals. I am glad my employer takes my 401K money out and getting the "free money match" is extra incentive to deposit as the market climbs. I also have money taken directly put into my savings, this is just a small amount but I don't even have to think about it and it done each and every two weeks. Paying off the credit cards as quickly as possible and not charging anything new! Still reading my bible-this one I will occasionally miss the morning but I loaded it on my Ereader and now I catch up on my lunch hour. Trying to grow my Farmgirl chapter this month, sent out 3 press releases. Purchase 2 new books (awesome) need to retire two but parting is such sweet sorrow and I ve been snowed in. How about you? What are your goals this month?

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  8:48:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Cheryle! I have fallen off the wagon a little bit with my writing, but that'll be my thing to work on this month! I have $185 in savings, so I'm over halfway to my goal for the year! I also got my first semester report card, and I have first honors. So far, I think I'm doing fairly well in the second semester. I also haven't bought any new books, but I haven't really worked on reading old ones. I did find some though that I can give away or sell to make way for new ones that I have stowed away. I'm also participating in the Farmgirl Philanthropy, so that's my charity for the month! I think that covers everything Cheryle!
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  5:05:43 PM  Show Profile
Megan good job, I think we will always have some off times and thats ok but golly sounds like your doing just fine. You have set some excellent goals for yourself...and honors! You go girlfriend! Don't lose sight of your writing. Do you have a special place set up to write or do you have a writting ritual. My dad does talk radio but he will tell you he conciders himself a writer. Most of his shows are written well actually typed on large index cards. Anyway I tell you this because he has a writing ritual. He gets up does his devotions and makes a pot of hot water (for tea)and heads to his office. He writes as the sun rises with tea. I would wake always to the sounds of a typewriter and still do when I visit. I share this in hopes that I can encourage you to start or begin again your ritual. Megan good job and stay connected I love so much to hear about young ladies making a difference.

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  7:03:18 PM  Show Profile
Awww, Cheryle, you are so sweet! I should start to have a writing ritual. Even if it's only a couple of times a week, it should be something that I do everytime. Your dad sounds like an interesting man!
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  11:51:19 AM  Show Profile
Yes, hearing the sound of a typewriter is very comforting to me. Funny thing is he still types with two fingers just wicked fast! My dad is terrific and so is my mom! And I am blessed with a set of bonus parents (they have both remarried). I use the term bonus mom and bonus dad instead of step parent(s) as it has such a negitive connotation to it.
Megan try to find a comfortable chair in a sunny spot, get a pretty pillow or throw or even if you can make your desk (if you use the computer)pretty, use aromatherapy or quotes that inspire you. Close the door, make yourself tea or play music whatever gets you into the mood to write. Try to recreate it in your special spot. But most important give yourself atleast the first 10 or 15 minutes each day -after that the day can get away from you. Good luck and I just know you will be fine. Blessings.

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  6:16:34 PM  Show Profile
So I achieved my first goal - new job, thought it might happen and it's a great opportunity. It will also allow me to achieve the other things on my list as I will be a.making more money so we can get out of debt, b. have a better/more regular schedule so I will have more time for things like spending time with family, doing volunteer work and a regular exercise program.
I did a lot of praying about this and I feel like things are really working out as they should.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  6:38:34 PM  Show Profile
Congrats! And praise God. Sounds like the first and hardest part has come to pass. A new job is certainly exciting and more time to better prioritize your goals sounds just great. Boy getting a new job in these tough time is really an excellent acheivement so really a huge pat on the back and way to go girlfriend becuase it small thing you've done. So what will you be doing? And what will you take on next? Keep us informed will you and really fantastic way to start and its only Feb.

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  8:35:11 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the words of encouragement Cheryle!! I'm so glad you started this post, it reinforced what I had been thinking about as far as making changes in my life. I will be working as a broker for a company that represents natural and organic foods and body care products - so glad I get to keep working with organics too!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  12:29:22 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Kudos that sounds just fantastic. A job that really makes a difference. Good going you should be veru proud of yourself. You set one goal and reached it and It seems like it was a really important one which will allow other goals to now be worked on. Yep, we need to just keep cheering each other on.
Heres what I did today...saved money on material and got to one of those projects I said I was going to do about 2 years ago. Instead of purchasing a Spring jacket I made one, it is also part of my reuse, recycle, repurpose motto for the New Year.

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  12:36:49 PM  Show Profile
Amy Grace, congratulations! What a great thing to cross off of the list! And it sounds like a great job, too!
Karen, that jacket is so cute, and perfect for spring!
I still need to establish my writing routine, but I have been a hard saver since the last time I posted, and I now have close to my $300 goal! After I reach that, I will be able to set my goal even higher!
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  12:52:25 PM  Show Profile
Megan,
That is terrific. You have almost reached your savings goal. Yea...way to go girlfriend...keep reaching for a higher goal.

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  7:08:35 PM  Show Profile
Cheryle, I will always be reaching for a higher savings! My parents always tell me "Megan, we love you, but you will be paying for your college." I'm okay with that, because I went to private grade school, and I'm going to a private high school. Paying for my college education is the least I can do!
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Holidays: Previous Topic New Years Wish/Goal Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page