shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2010 :  6:43:47 PM  Show Profile
As we come to an end of 2010 my husband and I will sit and write in our couples journal. We will fill in what we each hope to accomplish this year individually and as a couple. The couple part has become easier as we have now been married for 5 years. We talk about where to Holiday and what projects big and small we will take on for our home and community. For me I find a bit of a struggle in my personal goals- I am winding down in the professional world. Oh, I do need to be more organized, and to loose the extra weight but my goal is to lead a simple life. Get rid of the clutter,that would include stuff, people, noise and just get as lean as I can. I feel like I spent the first part of my life obtaining things and now I need to spend some time getting rid of some stuff. I feel like if I share/speak it-it will happen. Whats your goal for 2011?

Passive people do not lead passionate lives.

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2010 :  6:10:50 PM  Show Profile
Cheryle, I have a few goals for 2011. One is to stay on top of my schoolwork. Being a freshmen in high school has been easy for me so far, but hopefully once second semester starts I'll be able to keep the streak going. I also want to become more organized. I would like to just become simpler overall. I want to participate in more charitable works. I also want to raise my college savings to at least $300. Maybe putting this on forum will help me accomplish them:)
God's and Holiday's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2010 :  6:29:29 PM  Show Profile
Megan-those are really great goals for someone so young. I admire your enthusiastic goals towards your school work,and think that it is wonderful that you still want to make time for charitable works...just keep putting away little amounts towards that college fund it will add up quickly. I appreciate your taking the time to share your goals and hope that you will take time often to drop back in and let me know how you are doing. Happy Holidays.

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2010 :  7:28:09 PM  Show Profile
It's my pleasure Cherlye, and thank you:) I'm really ambitious, but sometimes my goals can be a little ahead of myself, so I want to keep it simple this year. Merry Christmas!
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2010 :  9:19:56 PM  Show Profile
One of my goals for 2011 is to attend a writer's conference and look into applying for grad school to pursue a Master's in creative writing. And of course, to work on my book. And to make life simpler, spend less, save more, and volunteer more with the community groups I'm involved in. And to grow more things in my garden next year.
Cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  9:36:12 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, that would be so cool! What's your book about? I think I would like to continue my writing as well. I just write book reviews and short stories, but you have to start somewhere right?
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  11:19:25 PM  Show Profile
Megan--I guess you could say my book is a modern day myth. Keep writing, maybe someday you'll write a best-selling novel!
cindy

Edited by - prariehawk on Dec 19 2010 02:14:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2010 :  07:50:00 AM  Show Profile
My dad does talk radio but I think he is really a writer. He paints pictures with his words and is very talented at it. Cindy do you write everyday? Tell me what has stopped you for achieveing your goal in the past? If you could take one postive step this year to achieve that goal and let one go of one thing that was keeping you for achieving your goal what would those two things be? Also because I am a gardener I am interested in what else you would like to grow? Good luck and please as you take your steps would you check back in and let us know what you have done?
Missy aka Cheryle

Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2010 :  7:40:44 PM  Show Profile
My New Year wishes/goals for 2011 is to watch how I spend my money & to save more. No more splurging on books, clothing and etc if it is not necessary. To exercise more. Cut down my soda. And to do more crafting and sewing. To organize the house once for all (I don't want to be the next hoarder...laughing).
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2010 :  8:23:30 PM  Show Profile
Cheryle--I'm not sure what has kept me from submitting my work in the past, probably lack of confidence. If I could take one positive step towards my goal this coming year, it would be to learn all I can about writing and getting published. and of course, to write. What's kept me from it in the past is depression and the feeling that I don't deserve to be successful. But almost every writer I know (not many) struggles with the same issues. As for my garden, I plan to add a bed to the front yard (more sun) and plant some ornamental edibles. Your dad sounds like a neat guy, I'm not a good enough speaker to ever be in radio. I can give a prepared speech, but when I speak off the top of my head, well, it doesn't always come out right! But I admire "word artists".
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  5:39:40 PM  Show Profile
Cindy-Thank you for your honesty. Although it is hard to hear harsh words over something that you have spent time on...you must remember the end goal is getting published. But also keep in mind there are many folk who send books to publisher after publisher and get turned down only to finally find one have have a huge hit. Why shouldn't you be a success, if you work hard and study your craft then you do deserve to have success my friend. Period.
My dad is wonderful...I did not get any of his talents but I love and admire him to death. He has reached out to so many for so long in such an amazing way I love to see him work.
Hummm ornamental edibles sound really interesting to me...I'm going to have to google them and see what I come up with. See you got me right there with your writing! Keep moving forward each day, one step, one paragraph at a time, talk to writers, printers anyone. You deserve to be a success simply because you don't know that you do! Keep writing even if its only to me.There is a book out there somehting writer market. I know theres one on my shelf somewhere. Start small if there is comfort there. Then go for the big novel.

Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  5:49:54 PM  Show Profile
Annie,
I too am trying to take a look at saving a bit more this year. I just up'd my 401K today another couple of percentage points. I am thinking of doing away with the cell phone and saving that money every month. We have to keep the land line as we have a home based business no sense in having both. I am a book buyer too boy that would be a hard one to give up...do you plan on using the library more? Let me know if you think of other ways to save everyday...I would enjoy any help there. Please stay connected and thank you for sharing your goals for the New Year.

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  6:00:18 PM  Show Profile
Less time on the computer (I've already done away with Facebook and another paying site I lost too many hours on on a daily basis), more reading, sewing, crafting, learning to crochet or punch needle, decorating our farm house, LOSE WEIGHT (back to our 3 mile walking routine), more attention to my DH, and the list goes on......

OH, and planning our garden and flower beds!
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  6:08:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karen,
Excellent Goals. I agree the computer can take up alot of time. I love to punch needle, I figure if I watch less TV the rest of my crafting goals and Bible reading will fall into place. How much weight would you like to lose? Please tell us about your garden too. Is it new or do you change it every year? Do you plant annuals in your flower beds?Please share more if you can. Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2010 :  09:17:42 AM  Show Profile
my wish/goal for this year is to finally get this families finances under control. I need to find someway outside or inside the home to make extra money and then manage it better. I am tired of living on the edge, always stressed about money. There has to be a better way to do this and I am going to find it, my family deserves it.
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2010 :  10:21:53 AM  Show Profile
Hello Patricia!
I grew up not far from where you live in Bath,Ohio! Yes, I couldn't not agree more. I read a disturbing statistic that said that most families were one paycheck away from a major disaster. I think you can find a few ways to make some extra money both ways. Talk to as many people as you can and tell them about your goal. Sometimes you can pickup extra work and work from home.I have sold things on Ebay, picked up some extra money stuffing envelopes(for a local company) once, one time making scripted cold calls for an insurance agent, I even picked up a small part time job at the local hardware store. Just try to tuck even the smallest amount away and try as hard as you can not to touch it.I hope you are successful and let us know how you are able to do it as I think this a goal for many of us this year!!!!

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2010 :  11:51:45 AM  Show Profile
I only have one goal I need working on. Being happy and STAY that way...longer than a week or so anyway

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2010 :  12:09:51 PM  Show Profile
You all have really good realistic goals. That's important. They all are attainable if they are important to you and your families well being. If they are just something that will distract you from taking care of yourself and your family then I'd re-think them.

My goals for 2011 are to keep as healthy as possible. My blog this year was about reducing stress which makes you happier. My blog for 2011 year is all about keeping life simple and keep focused on God's promise of a paradise earth!

Planting a spring garden. Fall and summer plants didn't live. Getting rid of things I've collected through the years that I don't need. I'm selling them on my etsy shop.

Do my bible reading daily. That is such a challenge for me. I start off with a daily text and then go make breakfast. I need to just go ahead and do the reading and I'll know I've accomplished a great thing at the start of my day.

We started a saving plan by taking out everything over a set amount that we can live on and saving the rest. We've learned to live on less and less over the past two years and surprisingly, we've adjusted and know what our rock bottom amount is we need each week to pay for all the necessities.

I've applied for ssi so if that goes through that will be a huge blessing. Since I'm homebound I have to do something to keep me sane and making things to sell on my etsy is what I find brings me a feeling of worth. Even though I don't sell very much, just making things brings me satisfaction. And, when I do get a sell I feel really good and pleased. I make sustainable things so it's things I can feel good about.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
www.sunshinefarmgirlcoop.com
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2010 :  12:11:55 PM  Show Profile
hi Cheryle...
i have more than 600+ books at home my own private library. I am making sure I am not buying anymore books for few years (not to buy it for at least 3 years). That's including magazines of any kind. I do read my books but I buy it faster than I can read. Hopefully after 2014 I will able to catch up all the books I purchased and than I will able to visit the library in my neighborhood.

In the past I have my cell and twice after I cancel it things happen and I couldn't reach my family. First time 9/11 and the second one is the blackout at the east coast. I lived at nj but works at nyc. so I must have my cell. I don't want too but it is better to be safe than be sorry.

I am hoping next year to grow my own vegetable...ex. eggplants, tomatoes...to save me some money. I was planning to plant it this year but due to extreme heat most of my plants die so I didn't. Hopefully next year the weather will be nicer.

We use to buy lots of paper towels. Instead I used old clothing, linens, socks (all wash) cut it to square/rip it and use it to wipe or clean. It save me few bucks...I could either wash it again or trash it (depending).

I also hoping to sell what I have at home...less stuff...less headache.
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2010 :  3:44:03 PM  Show Profile
Cheryle,
thanks you for the pep talk ! keep it up, I sure can use it, I do have a couple of ideas to make some income from home, just need to flesh out my ideas a bit more...and how neat that you are familiar with the area! Bath is not that far away
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2010 :  9:51:55 PM  Show Profile
Annie that is a goal I should work on as well! I just bought a book today, and I buy faster than I read! So my goals for 2011 so far are:
1)Stay on top of my schoolwork
2)Become more organized and simpler overall
3)Get my college savings up to at least $300
4)Do more charitable works
5)Work on writing more often
6)Don't buy books (I'll use my Christmas gift cards and then it's it!)
Cindy, you'll do great! You deserve to be published, everyone who has great stories to tell does! Good luck!
God's and Winter's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  07:30:02 AM  Show Profile
It's certainly smart to have obtainable goals..that way, there's not very far to fall off the wagon, and you can get back on easy enough :)

My goals for the New Year include:

revamping the raised garden beds to produce better crops

buying more local foods

eating less meat, but the meat we do eat, quality local and humanely raised

saving money. Period. We never have enough TO save, but this year, I'm making sure there is something set back, regardless of what's leftover.

Doing things on the weekend. We're terrible for putting things off--and there's a fabulous picnic basket sitting on top of my fridge, just waiting to be utilized.

Taking vacation days randomly...I always seem to be worried about taking a day off work--that I'll miss something, or that they'll need me. Tough. I need to spend time with my family, and I have 3 weeks vacation this year!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  08:31:22 AM  Show Profile
I started thinking about this in July - I tore a muscle in my calf on a camping trip and the first thing I thought of was "how am I going to do inventory at work on Monday morning?". I realized I needed to make some changes in my priorities so,
1. I need to either find a different job or change my approach to the one I have. I love my actual job but am increasingly frustrated with the other stuff.
2. I need to pay better attention to what my body is telling me - eat better, good exercise.
3. Get out of debt and put money in savings.
4. Spend as much time as I can with family and make sure that it is quality time.
5. Give of myself more - I don't feel like I am making enough of a positive impact in the world.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  11:48:53 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
A Job will more than 6 hours a dang week!

FarmGirl Sister #123

Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  6:21:52 PM  Show Profile
Ladies,
There has been so very many posts and WOW we are some really awesome women of purpose! I need to address you all instead of each tonight as my computer time must be short. I work for a local company but we are a John Deere dealer and it is not only the end of the month but the end of the year. I am working late and hard right now and my anniversary is on the 30th it is my 5th which is wood so I decided to make my gift (call me thrifty girl)this year thinking it would be more meaningful. We are getting close to New Years and we all have very good realistic goals. Now my challenge to you each within the next 30 days is to take atleast one step and report back. Not a baby step ladies be bold as you can be one the first one I double dare you. If you bank offers Christmas savings accounts that is a good way to start savings without extra fees. They usually require a weekly or monthly commitment but there is no fee. I've upped my 401K -to 10% my company matches but talk to and investment advisor-you can not get at this money without consequences, since I have direct deposit I've also directed for $50.00 each two weeks to go to my savings account. This will build my personal saving by $1300.00 each year. For those of you wanting time that can be a really hard one. I work full time and we run our own business from home and we are busy. I get up everyday one hour early - my first hour is strictly for me. If I don't put my self first ain't no else going to! I read my bible and once done step on the treadmill(when it is warmer I have the bible on CDs and walk outside). Your health is really important, take care of it and invest in yourself. If you need to have a frank talk with your doctor be bold its just the two of you. Many of you have spoken about writing or achieving other really excellent goals- please write each day even if is just a paragraph to us right here we'll cheer you on- I promise! Study what you want to do or become.If you want to loose weight, write or save money then learn about it, tell others about your plan and get too it! So lets start checking back in by the 27th of next month and sharing what has happened- Good luck ladies My wish is for EACH and for you ALL to reach your goals in the comming year! Happy New Year may 2011 be a blessed year for all of us. Thank you Mary Jane and staff for bringing us all together may you contintue to come into our homes and bless us.

Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  6:37:01 PM  Show Profile
Dutchy- I have a special wish that you find happiness this year. Do you think that you can find one simple way each day to have a small peice of happiness? Can you sit and have a special cup of tea in good china or wear a ribbon in your hair or get in your car and drive someplace pretty to eat your lunch, maybe try to call someone each day that you haven't spoken to in awhile something that would make you feel good. What wouldn't cost alot that you would enjoy? Do you cook? Do you shop? Do you read? If you had a new best friend and you both didn't have a)alot of money and b)alot of time together what would you do? How would you enjoy that limited time with that special friend? Write back and let me know.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Holidays: Previous Topic New Years Wish/Goal Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page