Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Does anyone live in a house under 1000 sq. feet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Does anyone live in a house under 1000 sq. feet Next Topic
Page: of 2

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  08:30:30 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
We moved from a 12 x 65 foot house trailer to a 2 bedroom home that's still under 900 square feet. It's more than enough for the two of us, in fact, I have a long, narrow living room and half is going nearly unused. Our house was built in 1963, so closets were at a minumum. He uses the one in the master bedroom, and I have the larger one in the guest bedroom. We use two rods so it doubles our space - shirts on top, pants on bottom. Mine is a half rod on the bottom for hanging dresses on the other end. I bought bed stacker thingies (don't you love my terminology?) to raise the bed frame in my extra bedroom. At that height - just an extra 6 or 7 inches, I can slide under file boxes and tons of rubbermaid for out of season clothes, etc. I keep mini-file cabinets as tables - cut a round top and cover with fabric. Extra out of sight storage is always good.

Moving in with my husband gave me a new philosophy I've stuck by for the 17 years we've been married. I try to purge my house about twice a year - once really good in the summer, then again over my Christmas vacation (I'm a teacher.) My rule of thumb is - if I haven't seen it, used it, or worn it in 6 months, get rid of it. Exceptions are made for out of season clothes, but they must still fit and I must commit to wear them.

I am not a pack-rat, but was raised by two. I've minimized my magazine subscriptions and sort through them every month - discarding or passing along those of interest to others. I only buy books I've read previously (from the public library) and will read again. The Kindle helps! Trial sizes and samples of cosmetics, toiletries, etc., are passed along to friends or co-workers, or donated to our school nurse who passes them to needy children, if appropriate. As far as my kitchen, I try to multi-task items. I see no need for a quesadilla (sp?) maker if I can do the same thing with two skillets. It may not be as "pretty", but it's still melted and crispy! I've weeded through my plastic storage and even serving platters, etc. I'm in the process of thinning china I've never used and miscellaneous cake pans, etc.

I find it very liberating to live in a clean, unclutterd home. It makes me feel more productive and even a better steward of how I manage my money and time. Now, I'm not perfect - sometimes things pile up on me, but one thing about living in a small home, you can't hide it for long! You've gotta face the music!

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Kay
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Tina Kay
Deary ID
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  3:33:41 PM  Show Profile
My home is 1100. I love small homes! We live in every part of it. All of it gets used.

"What we see depends on what we look for." ~John Lubbock
Go to Top of Page

PaddyLynn
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Patti
Anaheim California
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  4:19:12 PM  Show Profile
I am moving soon from a 3000 sf house to a 900 sf house, I am really going to go through and read these posts, I have some big planning to do!! My bedroom is a loft with a skylight over the bed and it seems like the best place ever!! Small yes but feels like home!!
Go to Top of Page

nh.farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Barbara
New Hampshire
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  7:20:13 PM  Show Profile
This probably doesn't count since I don't live there, but last August I bought a tiny waterfront cottage across the lake from my house. The cottage is only 144 square feet! :(( Because it is so small (8x18) what I am doing is 1.) I bought an antique Hoosier cabinet at an auction, and the Hoosier will be my kitchen. I got a small refridge that I am putting inside a bottom cupboard of the Hoosier - will have to remove a shelf for the refridge to fit, but that's fine with me. I also got a gas stove - not a cook stove, but a heater stove - very small, maybe boat size.

Let's see, what else? A twin bed is too small, a double bed is too b ig for the cottage, so I got an antique three-quarter bed. I am cutting down a double bed size mattress (have thought through the entire process and know I can do this), and I will sew adjustments on full size sheets.

Another thing: I got an old mahogany card table to use as a kitchen table. The table folds into half the size when not needing it square for cards - so folded in half, it's still fine for morning coffee, toast and an egg with hub. Anyway, maybe there's some little thing I'm doing in my itsy bitsy cottage that will give you an idea for your small space. Good luck! :)

Barbara

"If I could say it in words there would be no reason to paint."
- Edward Hopper
www.newhampshirefarmgirl.blogspot.com
Farmgirl Sister

Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  06:43:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to every one for your input. Cathy

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  12:47:58 PM  Show Profile
I love small homes/cabins too Barbara - you waterfront cottage sounds wonderful.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Twinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Debbie
Wyoming
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  07:25:51 AM  Show Profile
Barbara,

Your cottage sounds wonderful.

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

chickenladycris
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Cris
Prairie Farm WI
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  5:21:47 PM  Show Profile
I just had to add my two-cents worth! I have a small cottage, about 900 square feet, that was originally a small barn. I have one "real" closet, which functions as my clothing storage, pantry, laundry, and guest linen/luggage rack area. I did build a sort-of closet upstairs in the old hayloft (where I sleep under slanted eaves!), where I dry my herbs and store extra canned goods and winter squashes. It's not very big, but great for drying and storing things like that. I have discovered the beauty of underbed storage, coffee tables made out of old suitcases (storage!), and skinny bookcases that I attach casters onto so I can slide it next to the sofa (it rolls out whenever I need a particular book). I love small houses, and I was so lucky to find this one. Someday, I do want to convert the leaky sunporch into a permanent livable space (more kitchen for me!), but that would only be another 50 feet or so. Small houses are great for ease of cleaning, low heat costs, and you just can't beat the charm! Check out my blog for pictures, and to find out what you can do with a small 3/4 acre lot, too. Good luck in your downsizing!

www.chickenladysgreatadventures.blogspot.com

"A farmgirl can never have enough chickens!"--me
Go to Top of Page

Sweet_Tea
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Tara
Newberry SC
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  09:44:02 AM  Show Profile
our house is small.. and it's been added onto a few times before we bought it. I do not think it is over 1000 sq. ft. But, I try to throw away anything that we aren't using.. And I have one room dedicated to "stuff" and I have packed it all in a closet in those big plastic containers. but, I need to go through and get rid of more stuff we aren't using. It is hard to keep a small house not cluttered.. I have no idea what to do with dvds and cds and things like that. The bedrooms are tiny, My bedroom set didn't fit into the room. the dresser is out in this hallway type thing, its not really a hallway because it's almost the size of a room just oddly shaped.
The only picture I could find right now is a pic from this winter. but, I love the porch.. "the stuff" is definitely the problem. but, There is also less to clean ;)

~ http://notsosweettea.blogspot.com/

"The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Does anyone live in a house under 1000 sq. feet Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page