Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Does anyone live in a house under 1000 sq. feet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Does anyone live in a house under 1000 sq. feet Next Topic
Page: of 2

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  5:19:14 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone live in a small house? We live in a house of 1250 sq. feet, but are wanting to downsize even more. Any hints, tips, or ideas about living in a small space would be appreciated. I want a lot of ideas before we build or find a place.

Edited by - Catherine L on Dec 05 2010 5:20:10 PM

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  12:30:33 AM  Show Profile
We lived in a very small house trailer. I would suggest that if you build, be sure to check with several different companies. Most companies are not used to dealing with small spaces. The storage of things is the biggest issue, but it can be done in a well planned space. I lived in a very old trailer, so it was designed for storage and I moved to a much larger house only to be disappointed. I can hardly get all my stuff in the kitchen. I hate the way the cabinets are designed and nothing works right for my usability. Even my children gripe that the trailer was better cause they had places to put their stuff.

Shelving can help with the problem, but it can get very expensive and takes up lots of floor space. A truly good interior designer can rework a small space for storage and comfort, but is quite expensive.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  05:46:52 AM  Show Profile
My DH and I are looking for land and when we find it we may build a small house on it (under 1000 sq ft) Here is a website that has lots of information http://smallhouseliving.org/ and another one...http://tinyhouseblog.com/ There seems to be a new movement toward small homes.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  08:07:16 AM  Show Profile
I live in a nice mobile home that is 16x77 and it is a challenge! especially when both of us are pack rats =P always always consider storage! and then, what possessions you truly need to be happy =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  08:14:51 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the ideas. I am a packrat, but I am getting tired of managing all my stuff. I am in the process of considering what I really need and getting rid of the rest.

~Catherine~

Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  3:34:22 PM  Show Profile
Annika, thats a big mobile home. I bet it is beautiful! I live in a house thats about 1150 sq. ft. I love it really, it is cozy and homey and well laid out. It is an open floor plan where the dining room and living room flow together. It's nice because we have a wood stove and you can see it perfectly from the DR LR and kitchen. The only trouble I have is when I start getting just too much stuff for the space I have. When that happens it is time to get rid of stuff. That is going to be my new years priority. Getting rid of all the extra things and clothes I don't use anymore. I have a zillion Christmas things that I don't use anymore. What I really want is everything easily able to get at, things organized better and to make our home really easy to function in. You want something you know where it is and no tearing everything apart looking for it! A place for everything and everything in it's place I guess. Wow, I got carried away here! lol! But, small homes are very enjoyable they jus need organization.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  8:09:44 PM  Show Profile
We live in a very small house. It is about 900sq ft. My DH says he wants to build on when we buy. I say I am fine with it the way it is. As I am getting older I dont want to have to clean a larger house. So I am good with the house being smaller. I am also a pack rat and am getting better with getting rid of things and not buying more. And with the economy as it is and probably wont get any better anytime soon. I cant buy things even at thrift stores like I use to. We dont even have central heat or air. We heat with radiant heaters and cool with window units. Mary Jane I have a LOT of Christmas stuff and only use 1/4 of what I have. I gave my daughter the stuff I use to decorate with on Halloween...We dont have any children that come to our house. To far down the gravel road. But I would love to have some of those bags that suck the air out of them so they are REALLY flat....that would be great for storage...We do have a nice storage building I have things stored in...And I do need to go through it to get rid of more stuff....But we are comfortable and I love it...The up side is that we have 10 acres and 3 fenced pastures. We dont utlize the land though...not yet that is...But we are still happy.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  11:22:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi, one of the biggest differences between the USA and the UK is the size of the houses - how I would love space to store a wall tent or glam up an old trailer but here that is simply a dream!!

I live in probably the most standard design of house for the UK and it is just over 900sq ft - my daughters house is only 720 sq ft - not unusual here. As others mention it is storage that is the big issue. We have no garage or outbuildings other than a shed for the bikes and no space to put any more and like most UK houses no cellar or basement. It really does mean making use of all the space you have - we keep things like xmas decorations or equipment for preserving food etc that you only use at one time of the year in the attic, and utilise every area such as under desks and beds to store camping equipment, arts and crafts materials etc.

I don't know if you have Ikea in the US but if so they are good to look round to get great ideas for storage (you don't have to buy from there - we often make our own version - but it is good for ideas)

I have a couple of friends who live in identical houses to mine with husbands and 7/8 children and another friend lives with her husband, 3 children and her elderly parents and all live very happily and comfortably. The houses are remarkably tidy and don't really seemed cluttered. You just have to accept there is a limit on how much you can actually buy and own!

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  07:18:16 AM  Show Profile
I have never been in an IKEA, but have wanted to. Now, might be the time to check it out. I must get out of the thinking pattern "if one of something is good, two must be better."

~Catherine~

Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  07:42:13 AM  Show Profile
I do! My house is under 1000 square feet (995 to be exact). And it seems like MORE than enough for two adults, one infant, 4 dogs and 2 cats. We have very little closet space, as it's an older home (built in the 1920's), so we've had to be very creative about "where" we put things.

For example, in our kitchen, I just recently purchased a chimney pantry cabinet from the 1930's to eliminate the need to put pantry goods in our cabinets, thereby taking up valuable space for dishes, mugs, etc...Moved all my pantry items, spices, cracker boxes, etc. into this cabinet and it's been a godsend. Totally reimagines my space, and makes me work more efficiently! Not to mention, food doesn't fall out on my head anymore! We also have an antique plate wrack on the wall that allows me to free up cabinet space as well, moving dinner plates to the wall for easy access.

As for our bedroom, which has no closet, we have chiffarobes and very little else. I like it that way--it forces us to have only what we need and anything else is excess and goes out to charity.

Also, I feel like our living space is "quiet". It's not full of bric a brac and things that take up valuable space or time to clean. I do have some things displayed--favorite things that I never tire of. I used to buy things all the time, decorative things, but I've long stopped that.

If you have the luxury of building a small place, I would strongly suggest built in's in bedrooms, under stairwells, bathrooms, etc...these types of closets/storage cabinets are invaluable to a small space. If you are thinking of a kitchen space, I've also toyed with the idea of a "nook" type scenario, with a bench and table, and the bench is utilized for storage as well.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  10:59:22 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
our house is about 600-700 square ft. it is a one bedroom one bath(converted from the porch). but it has interesting features like a wood burning fireplace with a very rustic mantle. an ample pass through from the kitchen to the living room and french doors. it has a tiny annex for a spare bedroom or office with two outside doors to nowhere. the bathroom used to have a door to nowhere, but my dh built a walkway so it would connect back to the kitchen. our house , when we moved here had a screened in porch that surrounded the house and was actually bigger than the house, which i loved, so for a while we called the house the inside out house.
it has been a treat living here, although it hasnt been easy. we are on 16 acreas though so when it seems a little crowded you can always go outside to the woods, or the pond.
at this point i love "the farm" and i cant imagine being any where else.

love
frannie in texas
farmgirl sister#807
home of "green"crafts,
where no scrap is left behind
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  11:42:47 AM  Show Profile
Our first house was a 950 sq. foot home. Onebedroom, one bath anda finshed attic room. Knee walls and all.
We raised 4 girls there and finally added on when the youngest was a baby. We just went out the front and moved things around. And the house looked the same. It had a large kitchen and very open living and dining room. So with the upstairs room we had 4 bedroom and 1100sq. feet. try to think of 4 teenage girls in one bathroom. We all did fine. We lived on that little farm for 36yrs until progress forced us out. I still miss it. It is gone now.
As for storage the other half of the upstairs was all attic. Perfect.
So small surely is very doable. Go for it. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  12:18:24 PM  Show Profile

I romanticize about building a small, customized house with my own hands. I dream of building a writer's get-away--but with amenities. I'd like a claw-foot tub, a porch, a cozy loft and lots of natural light.

My grandmother was one of 13 children. Their farm had only a very small, hand-hewn log house. No indoor plumbing and no electricity. Of course, the older children were off on their own by the time the youngest came along but still--this lifestyle was the norm for many. And here I think of a house about this size (with indoor plumbing and electricity) as a challenge for just myself and my husband!

Has anyone here built a small house (or any buildings)?

I appreciate all the wonderful blogs, websites and good stories in this thread. So much to see and dream about...

Karen
Go to Top of Page

Twinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Debbie
Wyoming
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  3:16:35 PM  Show Profile
Our home is small. Storage is usually the issue, but I have downsized alot. Our children have the majority of stuff in the house! I live by the thought that more is not always better! I can see my children play with their toys while I am cooking and I love that. America I think is wearing themselves out thinking they need more and more. I like to live simply!
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  5:26:11 PM  Show Profile
Our house is about 1100 square feet and two bedrooms and one bath two-story. I went from a 2000 square foot 4 bedroom. God, do I miss my house in Pittsburgh so much. I am all for small living, but storage is such a huge issue for us. I have to pack everything into every corner. I would probably give my left arm for a basement.

Sorry to be a damper on the subject of small houses but it drives me up the wall. I could see how small is appealing but I need my own space, seeing my DH 15 shelves of books "he can't live without" drives me crazy!

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  06:54:07 AM  Show Profile
I love small homes sooo much!! I moved a year ago from a rural home to a suburrban city apt of about 920 sq ft. My daughter and I share the apt. I love the downsizing part, but it is hard with 'the stuff'. I think the problem here in the U.S. is we have tooooo much stuff!! How did we all get like this?! It has gotten a bit crazy!! Anyway, I too, am working on getting some of the extra out, it is not easy. But I love smaller spaces and want to make it work. I hope eventually, maybe, to rent one of the very tiny older 1 brd homes that are so common out here. They are soo cute and homey!! Blessings, Linda

http://www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  10:41:24 AM  Show Profile
Emily - I can feel for you but I'm the culprit. I have 5 book cases that are crammed full and I still purchase more. I'm thinking about getting a Kindle or Nook to help with this issue but don't know since I adore books so much. If we could enlarge our kitchen (which still would keep it under 1000 sqft) I would have no issues with the house. What frustrates me is that he has taken over the library/computer room as his and I have no place to call my own until my youngest moves out and I can take over his room.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  10:58:59 AM  Show Profile
My husband & I live in an old schoolhouse with 2 wings added. We have only about 1000 sq ft. It is definitely a challenge! It teaches you to do without all the stuff! There just is not room for any extra.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  11:34:24 AM  Show Profile
I love books as well. I have books everywhere. I bought a Kindle and my husband said that will take the place of the bookcases. I don't think so. The Kindle is nice, but nothing will take the place of the books. Looking at the shelves sort of tells the story of my life. I can look at my books and remember what part of life I was in or I can think of the person who gave it to me. How could I get rid of that?
I am thinking with small living that built ins are a must, so I am planning to try to get my husband to catch the vision and start building.

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  3:18:10 PM  Show Profile
I am the anti keep woman, I love to give it away, sell it anything, once we are done with it I have to get rid of it. My husband wants to keep everything, hence his book problem. I think Rose that you and him have the same memory issue, he wants to keep everything so he can remember that he went X-place and did X-things. Also I am guilty of keeping a book or two for those purposes also but to be honest 10 of the shelves are comic books!

Karla, your house sounds amazing, I have always wanted a historic home that was once a school house.

Catherine, I got a kindle for Christmas and I love it, but I hate spending money so I still will order books on Paperbookswap.com which then up in the donated bag when I am done.

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

kathyjane
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kathy
Doniphan MO
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  2:19:51 PM  Show Profile
I live in a 900 sq foot house that was built in the 1950's by my grandparents. I raised and schooled my 4 children here with two bedrooms and one bath. Years ago there was a country music song that said:
Love grows best in little houses
With fewer walls to seperate,
Where you even sleep so close
together
You cain't help but communicate
Oh, and if we had more room between
us think of all we'd miss
Cause love grows best in houses just
like this.

It speaks such truth and is still one of my favorite songs!

Kathy Jane
Farmgirl # 2565
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  2:39:08 PM  Show Profile
My husband, 4 year old and I live in 851 sq feet. Currently not using all the house as we are working on it. The mother fixer upper but it's paid for. We have a woodstove, a working bathroom, and one bedroom. We also have a bedroom in the living room, and our current kitchen is in what will be the master bedroom. Kitchen is currently a plywood floor and I do have a kitchen sink in there to wash dishes. Kind of urban homesteading. It's a tight squeeze but we are living with it.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

RedGateGal
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Danielle
Watertown TN
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  6:47:22 PM  Show Profile
We live in a 1929's small farm house of about 950 square feet. It's just my husband, our 3 dogs and myself...but we are all inside this one bedroom/one bath cozy home. There are times when I'd given anything for more storage, but then I'm reminded of how nice it is to not have "stuff" in my life anymore.

If I don't use it within 6 months, it's gone. Recycled or given to a better home. I grew up in the "burbs" of Atlanta. Never thought I'd be perfectly content in this SMALL, OLD, SAGGING, DRAFTY, GLORIOUS HOUSE!

Sister #2574
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  4:26:50 PM  Show Profile
I was in TX somewhere, just recently, and saw where someone is building small houses to sell. They looked portable. Not like a trailer though. It was getting on to dusk and kinda cloudy so I didn't see them very well...that, and driving by at 65 MPH!! They must be legal because there were plenty of them sitting out.

A couple of weeks ago, I went by a place that builds the little sheds and gives them cute exteriors, like an old storefront, and they had a building that could have been a small house. I wondered if they could build a small house to our specs and everything be legal. I'll have to stop in one day to ask.

The real cabin I'd like is gorgeous and way tooooo expensive for us. But if I were rich, that's what I'd buy.

As for the books, you can never have too many books!! I love the paperbacks. I can download books onto my phone (Kindle and Nook) but I get eyestrain and it's just not as satisfying somehow. The local used bookstore is kind of worried about ebooks and they'll have to adapt probably, but I'm a paperback girl! Always will be!!

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com . Now with pictures!!

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  7:20:57 PM  Show Profile
I live in a mobile home. I have found that I have to really decide what I want in it to be able to utilize the most of my space. Things like baskets and shelves are a huge help. In our closets we have shortened the hanging space and put in shelves. Places like until the bed, I have baskets of things lining the outer edges underneath. It hides what I need hidden, but also keeps it nice and neat.
My bathroom has room for one cupboard in it so we have two cabinets on the wall and shelves. Lots of shelves. :)
can you tell I addicted to shelving? lol We don't have much floor space, open or otherwise and with belongings for two adults and 3 toddlers, we have to be as stinjy with our space as we can. :)
hugs
jessie

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  5:15:47 PM  Show Profile
We are in about 864 feet. It is a challenge. Right now the only room with walls in the bathroom. It was going to be a garage and well.... we have lots to do but have ideas that I hope will help.

Because of the great economy our youngest daughter is living with us as she graduated from college and can only find part time work. When it is the 2 of us only will be a bit better but it is working. (feel bad for her)

Hubby built a big island/cupboard type think which is awesome. We are going to get cabinets to hang from ceiling above it. Will also be more of a divider between kitchen & living room.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Does anyone live in a house under 1000 sq. feet Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page