Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 What to look for when looking for property
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What to look for when looking for property Next Topic  

simplefancies
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Tami Lynn
Longview WA
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  7:53:29 PM  Show Profile
Evening ladies.
After 7 1/2 years of talking and dreaming, it looks like 2012 will finally be the year that we purchase land. I suppose asking questions now may seem a bit like jumping the ball but I like to be thoroughly prepared. We have our list of "requirements" (I'm guessing that after doing more research that list will alter a bit) and we have our mapped out area of where we'd like to purchase. We won't be moving to the property right away due to my husbands job but, the land will be there, be ours, waiting for us. For those of you who have purchased raw land, would you be willing to help a sister along? I'm wondering the ins and outs. What to look for, what to ask for. Any and all suggestions/input would be very, very appreciated. We've purchased homes so I know what I'm looking for, the things to ask and so on when it comes to an established place but raw is completely new.

www.theporcelaindesk.blogspot.com
1 Tim. 6:8 But if we have food and shelter, we will be satisfied with that.

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  10:58:23 PM  Show Profile
The actual land is the first step. Be sure to look it over very well. Look to see that things are growin in a healthy fashion. Be sure there aren't a lot of swampy areas or places that hold water. It is a good idea to look at the property in full sun, in a rainstorm, and the day after a rainstorm. I have seen many family members of mine get into trouble with land that was swampy after rains. You can't build on it.

I'm not sure about much else, but there's one tip for ya.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

simplefancies
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Tami Lynn
Longview WA
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  12:35:40 AM  Show Profile
Thanks. We plan on doing the initial looking during the rainy season. We're currently in WA and will be buying in TN. We lived there and know the area but are in WA for my husbands current job. My husband bought his first house during the summer. So not a good idea! He bought 2 acres on a hill and let me tell you, the property was underwater during the winter! Ack. We weren't even at the bottom of the hill.

www.theporcelaindesk.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  02:06:16 AM  Show Profile
I would also suggest you really think of drainage and placement of buildings. Like is the barn going to be washed out every time it rains? Where does the rain water run and where does it pool? Also, with TN. there is going to be flood ins. if your buildings are close to a stream or fall or whatever. My DH's aunt had to tear down and move a barn due to the flood ins. It is like 100ft, all buildings have to be away from water to not have insurance! I am sure this varies from company to company, and maybe even county, but really something to think about.
Good luck and God Bless you!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

Alix2050
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Hoquiam WA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  11:50:51 AM  Show Profile
I don't really have experience in buying raw land myself, but in having heard stories over the years (usually with laughter), I can tell you a couple of things I would be paying attention to: Is the land cleared? How much would be the cost to prepare a homesite? Are there any utilities on the property? If not, and you want them, how far away are they? - 'cause you have to pay by the foot to get them in... What is the water situation? If you have to dig a well, how far down? (again, pay by the foot). How is the drainage situation? Where could you put the house, septic system and drainage field? What the roads to the property like? Busy? Rarely used? Well maintained? prone to flood, landslide, huge drifts of snow?
Who would be your neighbors? We're all friendly here, but it doesn't mean that everyone else is - especially in an emergency! Are they farm people? Are they drug manufacturers? It's a real problem in some rural areas. Are they a commercial chicken factory? Pig farmer? Large dairy and from June to September the wind blows just right... Talk to people in the immediate area (stop to buy some eggs if you don't know anyone), and ask away. There aren't a lot of secrets.
What about emergency services? Where do the fire districts draw the line? Being from WA, I'm sure you've heard of people whose home was just over the border so the fire department stood and watched it burn to the ground.
What type of community is it? Insular? Welcoming? Active grange or other community group? Church group? Are people trying to make a go of their farm or is everyone working in a nearby town/city? Are there a lot of properties for sale in the area? Why?
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  07:05:33 AM  Show Profile
Here's one thing we just learned about 4 days ago...make sure the owner isn't in bankruptcy somewhere. If he is, he can't sell without the court's okay. If he does, he's in big trouble and you might be without land or money. Don't just take his word on it, do your due diligence. Glad we did.

Yep, this is the land we've been looking at and were going to wait till Spring when the snow melts (if I even made it that far, see other posts for my snow adventures).

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com . Now with pictures!!

Go to Top of Page

simplefancies
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Tami Lynn
Longview WA
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  09:55:29 AM  Show Profile
Wow! I never would have thought about that

www.whisperingoakacre.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  2:44:42 PM  Show Profile
Another thing to be aware of are easements. It is fairly usual for utility companies or the railroad to have an easement along an edge of a property, but pay attention to whether another landowner has the right to pass or maybe has utilities or (the worst) a water line that runs across your property. It will be shown on the map that is filed with the county, but perhaps NOT the one the seller shows you.

almost sounds like I speak from experience . . .

Good luck!

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

simplefancies
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Tami Lynn
Longview WA
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  2:48:16 PM  Show Profile
Maryanne,
My husband had that experience one time. Only he was the one with the rights and the guy who wanted to build across the gravel road had to pay for the right to the easement. Excellent point!

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  3:10:59 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like you two will be well prepared when you get there to start the search. Any idea when you might make a trip to TN? The pressure of doing it "out of a suitcase" is tough. We have made many moves with a three-day buying trip. It is so much easier now with the internet. I remember when fax machines were such a god send for us one move! Sheesh, sounds like the dark ages!

Best of luck to you!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

simplefancies
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Tami Lynn
Longview WA
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  4:22:56 PM  Show Profile
We plan on making the trip next May (happy 30th and Mother's day to me!!!) Thunderstorms and rain. :-) Since we lived in Crossville and he worked in Knoxville, we know the area fairly well and have a general area pinned down on the map. To our way of thinking, May truly is one of the better times to look at land over there. With the spring rains and all. The kids and I were over there in April of this year and happened to be attempting a flight out on May 1st...the day of major flooding in Nashville.
I've made 1 attempt at contacting a real estate agent. She had an 8acre parcel for sale and I was hoping for some info. She replied to the general email to give her a call. I sent her a long email explaining what the plans are and never heard back. :-( Oh well. I put that option in the email. We too have made purchases (2) out of suitcases and both have been very rash choices. While the first one has worked out (still have the house in TN and helping friends out), the one we're in right now was a mistake that we're trying to turn into a positive. :-) This go around, especially since it will be for our land, we have our criteria laid out on paper. Initially my husband was willing to waver a bit on the minimum amount but after talking it over a bit we both are now firm (he seems like it at any rate) on the minimum.

Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  09:36:21 AM  Show Profile
Don't deal with a realtor who doesn't return your emails or calls! In this market, she just isn't who you want. Others have given you great advise. My big thing is drainage, access in bad weather, neighbors (and what their place looks like), quality of soil (drainage, again), and proximity to services like hospital, fire department (usually volunteer in rural settings), stores. Once those things are settled, I look at the area for things like factory chicken houses and hog operations. If you're on the wrong side of them, it can be horrible. Anyway, happy hunting.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  11:11:34 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I are also looking for land and plan on moving on to a piece in the next 3 months! It's very exciting. We've been planning for about 4 years. One thing I have found enormously helpful are soil surveys. Most counties have to have them done as a basic part of land surveying. When you know the property you think you want. Look it up on Google maps (the satellite imagery has been invaluable to us this winter). Do a general Google search on the soils so if you wanted a place in Tipton, Indiana for instance, find out what county it's in, the search "such and such county indiana soil map"

You should get a few selections on where to see a map of the official soil surveys. Find your piece of land on the map, look and see what the soil type is (i.e. Volusia clay loam or Honeoye Loam). Do another Google search for that specific soil and voila.....it will tell you: how well-drained it is, the best crops to grow on it, the quantities of clay (very water holding), sand (very dry) and loam (great organic matter content that typically drains well but also maintains adequate moisture) within the soil etc. You can do a lot of research in the cold months this way. It takes a very long time to hunt; (we've been looking for 3 years) and find the best place for what you want so don't be surprised if you take many months to find it, you may not end up on the best place if you rush it and try to fit your purchase into a certain timeframe.

Also: research plant indicator species. I'm a horticulturist so when I survey a piece of land I see all that the plants have to tell me but I'll bet there are books you could use or online resources to tell you about indicator species. It's a simple concept: plants only grow where the conditions are naturally right for them. If you are looking at a piece of land and it is covered in red-twig dogwoods, willows and cattails.....well now that's a pretty wet property and unless you have the money and energy to install some serious drainage, you definitely want to look at another piece!

Sorry this is a book! We're just going through this right now. We looked at a piece recently and the owner said there was no standing water on it but when we walked the property, I used my boot and dug under 10 inches of snow only to see about 1-2" of solid ice and this amongst willows, red-twig dogwoods, cattails, new england asters (can grow in very wet soil), sedges, rushes (swamp plants)......so unfortunately he was not being very honest.

Good luck to you and if you need anymore advice or have any, I'd love to keep in touch!
Patty
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  12:20:24 PM  Show Profile
I agree wholeheartedly with Patty about the soil surveys and plant indicators. I'm speaking from experience - we bought an acre of loamy clay with a fairly high groundwater table. Our sump pump runs frequently - even during droughts in late summer. Also, the lots (5 acre parcels) to the south of us are at a higher elevation - not a lot, but enough to make us wetter. I'm embarrassed to tell you my undergraduate degree is in soil science and my husband is a hydrologist. We dropped the ball - big time. We love our house and property and all is well - no flooding - but we have utilized a lot of native plants to help with the excessive moisture in the soil. When we buy next time, we'll do things differently. We bought our lot ~ 16 years ago - and after my husband retires (in ~ 5 years) we plan to move again. So definitely review the soil survey - they should all be viewable online.

Patty and Tammy Lynn - I'd like to keep in touch with both of you - to hear about the things you encountered and how you finally decided.

Patty - you're less than 2 hrs east of us and we've thought about that area. My daughter's in-laws live in Valpo.

Lots of good info here... Best of luck to both of you.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  5:27:23 PM  Show Profile
Wow Lorraine, small world. I'm actually looking for a place out east where my husband is originally from. The land out here is actually way way too expensive. Most of it is farm fields and those who set the price are used to big companies coming in and buying huge chunks so they can build a million cookie-cutter houses on postage stamp pieces. I'm no snob, I live in a situation just like that but I don't have to like how it drives the price of the land up! Or that it's eating away at any natural areas we have left in NW Indiana. *steps down off soapbox*

That's too bad about your land selection! I have to admit I chuckled when I read what you and your husband do for a living. I don't think anyone has never made that same kind of mistake before! I hope you have better luck with your next parcel!
Patty

A little red, attempting to be The Fearless Farmgirl www.fearlessfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  08:52:33 AM  Show Profile
How far down is water? What is the deepest well around? Not to mention title. Do a title search for sure. Out in Chitna AK a Chitna title is one with so many people liening it that nobody can get a clear title.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

simplefancies
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Tami Lynn
Longview WA
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  09:51:20 AM  Show Profile
Okay,
So these responses bring up another question. Wells. Admittedly, I have not begun to research wells. Where do I begin? How deep should a well be? Is it better for the well to be deep? Shallow? Can we talk about wells for a bit. I know absolutely NOTHING about them. :-)

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  3:31:19 PM  Show Profile
Everything depends on the ground. I think the most non-biased person to answer questions would be the local well-digging company. There are usually a couple and they don't have a reason to lead you down a path with a bunch of nonsense. Deeper isn't always a sign of a great well. It just means that's when they hit water. No one can guarantee how long a well will last. But, you should be able to get a general idea from someone local.

Good luck.

marianne
Go to Top of Page

earth mama
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Anna
Hendersonville TN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  5:56:23 PM  Show Profile
I don't have a well as we built on top of a hill outside Nashville close enough to the burbs to have city water, but I'd make sure the land is perked for septic and check how many bedrooms etc you can put on it. The septic field may also dictate your house site, it did for us. There was only one place we could actually build and it was towards the back of our land (just shy of 3 acres), so we have to put outbuildings and such more to the side than the back, but since we're just doing chickens right now, that's fine, and we have space down-wind and down hill of us to add a run in shed for goats later on. I love where we live and if we can eventually purchase the five or so acres behind us, then we'll have enough, but if I'd had it to do over again, we'd have bought more land further out (of course, I was commuting into Nashville when we bought, so there was a reason we did what we did), but it sounds like you've already got that covered...

Blog: http://wayfaringartist.com
Photography and Design: http://dailyikon.com
Go to Top of Page

dprovence
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Debbie
Little Rock AR
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  10:35:28 AM  Show Profile
I would try and look at the land in the winter months when there is no foliage on the trees to block your view of potential problems like low areas and such. Trees and grasses can hide lots of things that can only be seen in the winter when all of the ground cover is gone. I agree with after a rain as well. You will be able to see where water stands on the property without the grass to hide it.

Huggs and Smyles,
Debbie
Farmgirl Sister #2636

Edited by - dprovence on Feb 25 2011 10:36:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  12:56:14 AM  Show Profile
that is a good idea!

marianne
Go to Top of Page

simplefancies
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Tami Lynn
Longview WA
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  7:02:07 PM  Show Profile
Great idea Debbie!
Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Brenda Isom
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Brenda
San jose ca
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  12:45:44 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for sharing, I don't know where to get started, your post helped greatly, not sure what state I want to move to, just want quiet country life, a small farm with fertile soil, maybe a small animals.

quote:
Originally posted by Littleredd

My husband and I are also looking for land and plan on moving on to a piece in the next 3 months! It's very exciting. We've been planning for about 4 years. One thing I have found enormously helpful are soil surveys. Most counties have to have them done as a basic part of land surveying. When you know the property you think you want. Look it up on Google maps (the satellite imagery has been invaluable to us this winter). Do a general Google search on the soils so if you wanted a place in Tipton, Indiana for instance, find out what county it's in, the search "such and such county indiana soil map"

You should get a few selections on where to see a map of the official soil surveys. Find your piece of land on the map, look and see what the soil type is (i.e. Volusia clay loam or Honeoye Loam). Do another Google search for that specific soil and voila.....it will tell you: how well-drained it is, the best crops to grow on it, the quantities of clay (very water holding), sand (very dry) and loam (great organic matter content that typically drains well but also maintains adequate moisture) within the soil etc. You can do a lot of research in the cold months this way. It takes a very long time to hunt; (we've been looking for 3 years) and find the best place for what you want so don't be surprised if you take many months to find it, you may not end up on the best place if you rush it and try to fit your purchase into a certain timeframe.

Also: research plant indicator species. I'm a horticulturist so when I survey a piece of land I see all that the plants have to tell me but I'll bet there are books you could use or online resources to tell you about indicator species. It's a simple concept: plants only grow where the conditions are naturally right for them. If you are looking at a piece of land and it is covered in red-twig dogwoods, willows and cattails.....well now that's a pretty wet property and unless you have the money and energy to install some serious drainage, you definitely want to look at another piece!

Sorry this is a book! We're just going through this right now. We looked at a piece recently and the owner said there was no standing water on it but when we walked the property, I used my boot and dug under 10 inches of snow only to see about 1-2" of solid ice and this amongst willows, red-twig dogwoods, cattails, new england asters (can grow in very wet soil), sedges, rushes (swamp plants)......so unfortunately he was not being very honest.

Good luck to you and if you need anymore advice or have any, I'd love to keep in touch!
Patty

Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  8:22:43 PM  Show Profile
I've bought and developed two pieces of bare land. Both times we've had to clear the land and put in all improvements. Water, power, septic, fences, garden areas, and had to improve the soil to get anything to grow.
Both times we've spent more money doing these improvements than what we could have bought the developed property for.
We've also run into permitting problems and expenses sometimes taking many years to resolve. Also remember you usually can't do traditional loans for bare land. Most lending companies won't lend without a full foundation, regular sized house with permits. We've incurred a lot of cost with the private loans and the inability to mortgage or refinance for development costs.
So in my mind I would see the dollar signs in any improvements I could buy.Especially if a bank was willing to loan on it, ie: it has a house. I like everyone else's feedback about the soil and drainage and even the well drillers is a good idea.But each time I developed I could not have imagined all the costs and the loads of energy.
Our current property we are five and a half years into and we've done huge things, but my husband is a wizard on a piece of equipment and we went into this property with some equipment. He also is a major scrounge and hates to spend money, so we've managed to not go broke on this property. But we are tired and still are not even done with the next level of pastures and fences.
Good luck, http://www.rosemancreekranch.com
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What to look for when looking for property Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page