countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  07:32:43 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I want to move our family to western Montana, although personally I like the eastern part of the state just as much as the western half.

The main problem we have is living in Wisconsin we have not been able to find him a job that would remotely support us. The only job we found for him so far is about 800-1,600 a month.

The other problem we are having is housing/land. I would be fine living in a wall tent until we were able to live in a house (I mean the pioneers did it, right?) My husband does not want to move his family and live in a wall tent even though I told him I would be fine with it. I understand why he does not like that idea.

We have a horse, two goats, chickens and a cat. I do not want to sell them in order to move we would want to bring them with us so renting in the "city" is not an option. Living off the grid is totally fine with both of us as long as there is a water source on the property.

So far the only property we found is high priced lots for city people wanting a vacation home. As of yet we have not found property for sale for normal people wanting to re-locate.

Does anyone have any advice or leads for us for a job or property or both? My husband used to work in the Mission valley and I visited him once and I fell in love with it out there too!

Alaska is also on our list but Montana is our first choice. Thanks in advance for any advice on how to finally get out there!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  5:16:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Krystle- I would recommend the Billings area. There are lots of Farmgirls around here that are absolutely wonderful. There are a lot of small home-town communities within driving distance of Billing (ranging in size and distance from Billings) The housing around here is still much cheaper than in other parts of the state and the job opportunities are much better. What type of work does your husband do?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  05:42:37 AM  Show Profile
Alee, he has over 8 years experience as a mechanic but right now he is working as a field service tech for building,installing and fixing packaging machines. He also guided hunts out there for a couple years too. We haven't looked into Billings yet, I really should, especially if there are a lot of farmgirls in the area! So far we have been looking in the Mission valley, we have a grandpa living in Trego so we were looking into there. We actually found a super nice property, but no jobs within an hour drive that almost borders Canada. Either we can find him a job (he had a job offer but at the time it was less than what he was making as a mechanic here) and no housing/land, or we can find a house/land and no jobs at a distance remotely close to what a reasonable commute would be. He drives about 60 miles here in Wisconsin to get to work which is pretty normal for people who live in the Northern part of the state. Thanks :)

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

Twinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Debbie
Wyoming
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  07:17:16 AM  Show Profile
Countrymommy85,

Western Montana is very expensive. I agree with Alee, you might want to look around Billings. There is a little town outside of Billings called Shepherd that has small farms and more resonable priced properties. Great Falls is also another area, but areas around Billings will have the more resonable priced properties and greatest amount of jobs.

Eastern Montana does not have a lot of jobs, unless you want to live in the Eastern part and travel to North Dakota, where there is some jobs with the mines. A lot of people from MT and Wyoming are traveling there for jobs. You could check out Sidney, MT and towns around there.

Let me know how I can help.

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  07:30:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would recommend doing a job search state wide on the state job search page:
https://jobs.mt.gov/jobs/login.seek

Most jobs are listed here, though not always. I always start here and expand the search from there.

I am not sure what the cost of living is where you are at, but around the Billings, Laurel, Park City area you can find a 3 bedroom house with property for rent usually in the 900-1200 a month range. If you are okay with smaller then you can usually get cheaper. There recently was a place out in Pompey's Pillar that was 3 bedroom, allowed a horse and was only like 900.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  07:37:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingwizard/layouthtmls/coll_metrodetail_18.html#moving

This calculator kindof gives you an idea of the comparison between areas. Montana is going to pay less but usually housing and such is less too.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Twinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Debbie
Wyoming
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  08:28:50 AM  Show Profile
I also have a friend that just recently moved back to Montana from Alaska, if you decide on Alaska. I could hook you up with her. Just let me know.

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

KatrinaMT
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Katrina
East Helena MT
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  07:00:06 AM  Show Profile
I grew up in Lewistown, it's smack-dab in the middle of Montana but it's beautiful and a very ag-centered area. When we bought our house in Helena last year, the prices in Lewistown were WAY less than in Helena so you might find it more affordable.
Go to Top of Page

kairosdreaming
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Melissa
Pineville North Carolina
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  10:44:52 AM  Show Profile
I'm kind of late to this but thought I'd add some comments. I actually just moved back to Ohio from Montana. We went out there 3 years ago hoping to find land and start raising kids and a hobby farm, but it just wasn't feasible. If you're near where the jobs are, the land is too high priced. We were in the Western part of Montana near Bozeman, and while it was beautiful, it just didn't work out for us. However, there's some areas around Ennis that have some cheaper land (and in Eastern MT too) but its harder to find jobs there. If you want to stay near a bigger city, Clarkston has some plots for sale (but its HOA, even 10-20 acre plots) but its within an hour's drive of Bozeman and very pretty.

Melissa

http://checkeredchickens.blogspot.com/

They sicken of the calm that know the storm.-unknown
Go to Top of Page

Graycat
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Grayce
Great Falls Montana
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  1:28:41 PM  Show Profile
Dear countrymommy85,
As a new farmgirl living in Great Falls, Montana I just had to put in my two cents.
I have a friend who lived with her family in a wall tent in Sun River for 2 years. The past 2 winters have been pretty cold with many nights having below zero temperatures. They lived thru it, but very challenging with the below zero stuff. At least you don't have to worry about the pipes freezing in a tent! Great Falls and other central Montana areas frequently get whats called a "chinook winds". It will be freezing cold for days and then a north wind will come wailing in with warm air and all the snow melts in just a few hours. It helps with the long winter to have a few chinook winds to ease the pain. However, not everybody likes the wind. Western Montana does not seem to get the wind as much as central and eastern part of the state.
Have you considered around Libby. Now, don't get me wrong, I realize that this place is a superfund site. But with a little moxy and research you may find just what you are looking for. Also, Troy seems to have quite a few listings that are reasonable. The winters are mild, and the folks I know have cherry and fruit trees that are blooming and producing by June. Not so in Great Falls.... It is part of the Western Montana "Banana Belt". Missoula and areas around it are also in the Banana belt. The temps don't have extreme changes that the central and eastern folks seem to get. They do get below zero temps, but not as extreme. Western Montana tends to be more humid and moist and the further you go east the dryer. With the warmer air you trade being able to see the sun. I lived in the Flathead Valley for a winter and didn't see the sun for more than 20 minutes (downside if you like sunshine).
Billings, now you can grow grapes in this area! There are many jobs, and as a mechanic it would def. be something to consider. Just be sure to get land with continuous water or a well. The Billings valley water table is shrinking and folks are having to drill further...
If I had the chance to live in a small town, with benefits, my favorite town in Montana right now is Phillipsburg. It is an old silver mining town outside of Missoula. About P-burg as the locals call it, it has the benefits of Western Montana weather, mild, but without the overcast skies that stay all winter! Anaconda and Butte are a 30 minute beautiful drive to commute to a job. Heck, in the small communities, they need mechanics too! Just a thought - hope this helps. Sorry so long as I get carried away!
A Big Hello to all the farmgirls in Montana!
ta ta,
Grayce
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Montana Advice Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page