CountryGirl2
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Trisha
Longview Washington
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  6:47:13 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the great book suggestions. I have a list of books to find and check out from the library. Think I will start with Winter's Bone. Farmgirl Blessings, Trisha ~ farmgirl sister #2982
Go to Top of Page

JennyJKerr
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Jenny
Kenosha Wisconsin
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  06:08:32 AM  Show Profile  Send JennyJKerr a Yahoo! Message
I'm in the middle of a bunch of books right now Growing Up Green, Lily Dale, Mr. Darcy's Daughters and I promised myself I wouldn't start The Bucolic Plague until I was done with at least one of the others' but I couldn't help myself and I'm about 1/3 of the way through with that. lol. I am having a hard time making it through Mr. Darcy's daughters. It's not such a thick book, but the words are tightly packed on the pages and seem to really really ramble. lol I'm about halfway through GUG and I try to read a couple chapters of Liliy Dale every day. I have a few on my list that I want to get to soon. I won a copy ofDarcy Takes the Plunge and I just ordered a copy of Farm Fatale from Paperback Swap. I also got a copy of The Backyard Homestead for Christmas that I haven't gotten around to reading yet and I'm itching too!

My Blog ~ http://www.kerrfect.com
My Etsy ~ http://www.etsy.com/shop/beletvieux
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  12:13:07 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, it sounds like you have a lot on your reading pile! It's okay, I do too! I really want to read The Bucolic Plague, but I have so many books right now, that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to add more!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  1:17:19 PM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
I've finally finished the Bride Quartet by Nora Roberts and The Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning. I just started the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child and I'm HOOKED! I don't know who to compare him to - Jack has no comparison... - sort of a James Bond-ex-military-man who got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, but stuck around to take care of business. And, boy, did he. I love to live vicariously through action adventure books. This was more action, less adventure, but I did figure out parts of it before it was revealed. That makes me feel good. If your man likes these kind - I'd recommend them.

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  1:57:31 PM  Show Profile
just finished the soul of a horse, very interesting and touching makes you look at our animals a bit differently
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  6:05:24 PM  Show Profile
Hmmmm The Bucolic Plaugue..will have to look for that one too. Thanks Megan. Yep....always a pile!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

foreverbooks
True Blue Farmgirl

514 Posts

Carole
Tombstone AZ
USA
514 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  07:16:42 AM  Show Profile
I am reading the new Amanda Quick book "Quicksilver". Am having a hard time putting it down!

Carole
Arizona Farmgirl Sister #2556
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  8:06:29 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, I absolutely love the Beekman Boys, and if the book is as good as the series, then it's a must-read for me!
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

justbe
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Kris
Garland Texas
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  04:30:18 AM  Show Profile
I am reading Farm City by Novella Carpenter. What a fun read and it so fits along where I am right now being an urban farmer and all.

Kris
www.krishundt.com
Farmgirl #1761

“Not all those who wander are lost.”
- J. R. R. Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  11:12:22 AM  Show Profile
Okay...nearly done with Bucolic Plaugue...love it! I really liked Farm City too Kris. Very good

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  11:25:34 AM  Show Profile
I just finished reading The Walk and Miles to Go, books by Richard Paul Evans. This is volume one and two of a series. Volume three will be out April 2012. Really left me hanging and wanting to know more.

Betty In Pasco
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  2:08:25 PM  Show Profile
I have been reading the Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear. I love the feeling of history, even if every book makes me cry at some point....overactive tear ducts maybe?

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  8:55:06 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, that was really fast! How'd you like it? Is it worth a read?
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

Catherine
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Catherine Ann
Temple TX
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  6:22:54 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by justbe

I am reading Farm City by Novella Carpenter. What a fun read and it so fits along where I am right now being an urban farmer and all.

Kris
www.krishundt.com
Farmgirl #1761

- J. R. R. Tolkien

I really enjoyed Farm City, too! :)

http://stillroomherbs.blogspot.com
http://lovelivingsimply.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #1801

Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant. ~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Catherine
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Catherine Ann
Temple TX
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  6:25:18 PM  Show Profile
One-Block Feast
The Dressmaker of Khair Khana
Walking on Alligators

:)

Farmgirl Sister #1801

Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant. ~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Chickadoodle_KM
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Kate
Babylon Village NY
USA
89 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  2:28:48 PM  Show Profile
I've got about 5 pages left of "Nature's Little Wonders: Bees" by Candace Savage! It's funny, I didn't expect it to be so enjoyable! The book says you'll never look at bees the same, and I was like yeah right, next time I see one I'm going the other direction! Well, was I wrong! My tree in my back yard is in full bloom and smells amazing! The "little wonders" must agree because I opened my gate and there in my face is a bee collecting pollen and nectar! And did I run! Yes! But only to grab my camera! I was up close and way personal with at least 4 of the bees, them going about their business, me taking a dozen photos! It was amazing and the whole time I was in awe! The book is an eye opener!

Farmgirl hugs & kisses,
<3 Kate

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

foreverbooks
True Blue Farmgirl

514 Posts

Carole
Tombstone AZ
USA
514 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  08:05:09 AM  Show Profile
Just got done listening to "The Spy" by Clive Cussler. A bit violent especially when you are listening to it rather than skipping it when it is the written word. But I really enjoy his books. Am now listening to "Truth or Date" by Jayne Anne Krentz.

Carole
Arizona Farmgirl Sister #2556
Go to Top of Page

RedGateGal
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Danielle
Watertown TN
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  7:01:33 PM  Show Profile
I'm just finished "Same kind of different as me", great book with a wonderful ending. Also finished "Water for Elephants" and "Amish Peace", a documentary on why the Amish live the way they do. Simple living never looked so appealing.

Farmgirl Sister #2574
www.redgategal.blogspot.com

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." ~ Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  08:47:31 AM  Show Profile
I am reading "The Journals of Louisa May Alcott".
Go to Top of Page

letpeoplewonder
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Leslie
Greensboro NC
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  11:07:18 AM  Show Profile
LOL! i LOVED this book. it wasn't this utopic fantasy life, but an honest, ugly, and beautiful representation of what farming can mean and accomplish in places deemed undesirable. i've recommended this book to several people who are curious about WHAT i'm doing and WHY i'm so weird...hehe...

quote:
Originally posted by Catherine

quote:
Originally posted by justbe

Kris
www.krishundt.com
Farmgirl #1761

- J. R. R. Tolkien

I really enjoyed Farm City, too! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1801

why can't i be more conventional? people talk, people stare, so i try. but that can't be, because i can't see, my strange little world just go passing me by...so let people wonder...
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  05:48:15 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by njaw09

I am reading "The Journals of Louisa May Alcott".

I was looking at this book. What do you think so far?

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  05:52:05 AM  Show Profile
I'm reading Dr. Zhivago for a reading group and for fun, a collection of Robert Frost's poems.

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6655 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6655 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  05:54:40 AM  Show Profile
I am reading The Last Letter by Katherine Shoop one of our farmgirls out of PA, it is her first novel, and it is a wonderful read.
Farmgirl Hugs,
Debbie

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  06:57:09 AM  Show Profile
I just finished The Dirty Life: A Memoir of Farming, Food, and Love by Kristin Kimball and really enjoyed it. She was a New Yorker who was use to coming home at 4 am from parties who fell in love with an organic farmer and now gets up at 4 am. Her boyfriend/husband's dream was to go beyond CSA farming and produce everything themselves that their clients would need; meat, food, milk, etc....

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  1:54:55 PM  Show Profile
Just finished Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. Fast food is OUT of my diet. Yuck !
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Reading Room: Previous Topic What are we reading? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page