Previous Page | Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic What are we reading? Next Topic
Page: of 13

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  06:58:33 AM  Show Profile
I have just finished a book by Nicholas Sparks, called *Safe Haven*. It is SO good, highly recommended by me :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

ShilohsHaven2011
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Rachel
Crossville TN
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  09:58:50 AM  Show Profile
I am a big fan of Karen Kingsbury! I just finished her newest book, Leaving. I loved it! Now I am reading Somewhere to Belong by Judith Miller. Found it in the freebies on my Kindle, so far a fairly decent read.
Go to Top of Page

TeresaJ25
True Blue Farmgirl

975 Posts

Teresa
Medford NY
USA
975 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  5:55:08 PM  Show Profile
Having spent most of the summer reading classics that I haven't read in years, I needed to read something different. So I "discovered" the first book in the Elm Creek Quilt series--the quilter's appprentice. I fell in love immediately! I haven't been able to stop reading the series! I am currently reading The New Year's Quilt, but my favorite book is The Runaway Quilt. LOVE the series!

Megan---I am ALWAYS biting off more than I can chew as far as books are concerned!! Don't let me anywhere near a book store, and the absolute worse is when I'm reading a magazine that has book reviews....I want to read them all! When I am done with the quilt series, I have a huge line of books just waiting for me! I'm contemplating buying books on CD so I can have my reading "fix" while I'm driving!

~Teresa
Farmgirl Sister #1348

*Anyone can criticize and complain and predict doom and gloom.
Be the person who fills the room with sunshine!
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  7:53:07 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Teresa, it is very dangerous having me in a bookstore! I vowed to not buy books this year, but it seems that I just check out more from the library then!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  02:58:33 AM  Show Profile
I just finished so many good books. Here are a few: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels--A Love Story by Ree Drummond (The Pioneer Woman). I loved it so much I read it twice! Just finished reading her cookbook The Pioneer Woman Cooks (yes, I read cookbooks like other people read novels--cover to cover). Also read Clara and Mr. Tiffany by Susan Vreeland. It's the story of a woman who designed Tiffany windows for Louis Comfort Tiffany, and the story of woman's rights at the turn of the century. Dianne in the Hudson Valley

Sister #749

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  06:40:45 AM  Show Profile
Fox Fire books! 1,2 &3. I think I read them too quickly when I was younger. This time I am taking my time. I just read/learned about the old wood stoves. Just like the one that was stored in my grandma's basement. We grandkids played house on it after she got her new stove. I think she used cobs in her stove. Now, I love knowing how it operated. Also, read about making soap with lye.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  5:51:52 PM  Show Profile
just finished the union quilters, the new elm creek book, very good read. My daughter just gave me one to read,me being a history major, called mr lincolns spy
Go to Top of Page

weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  6:11:12 PM  Show Profile
Just finished "The Crossroads Cafe" by Deborah Smith couldn't put it down. Loved the moral of the story, beauty comes from within! Now reading "Cowboy Trouble" by Joanne Kennedy.

gerri
Farmgirl #1197

Happiness is in the comfortable companionship of friends.
-Pam Brown
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  07:33:55 AM  Show Profile
I just finished the last Mary Higgins Clark mystery(my guilty pleasure) and am now starting "A Discovery of Witches".

~ Elaine
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Farmgirl sister #2882
http://embchicken.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

kiminca
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Kim
Ontario CA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  4:56:53 PM  Show Profile
I just finished Fedelity by Wendell Berry--which I really enjoyed. And I just bought Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion by Greg Boyle. He is a remarkable, fearless priest who works with the gangs in East LA. It's personal for me as my sweet children were born into that neighborhood, and their biological parents were helped by Fr. Boyle. I can't help but wonder if I will find them in these pages.

Kim
Farmgirl #2164
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  12:16:23 PM  Show Profile
I am reading:

True Grit
Genetic Roulette
and a few devotionals daily

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  12:54:01 PM  Show Profile
Just finished Black Heels to Tractor Wheels. Anyone want it? I'd be willing to barter. It is hardback, brand new with dust cover intact. Read once.
I'm reading lots of free books on Kindle. Mostly classics. Reading Uncle Tom's Cabin right now. I never read it in school. What a shocker it is. I'm from the south but gee whiz! I can hardly stand the bigotry and ignorance of that time. I would have been burned at the steak for sure if i lived back then.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  12:22:33 AM  Show Profile
Connie, I just sent you an email.

http://theprairiemaid.blogspot.com/

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  7:28:57 PM  Show Profile

Went thrifting today and picked up "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" by David Wroblewski.

Not a bad price for a mint condition hardback at only 1.59-

The setting is in Northern Wisconsin (late 50's) and he mentions Superior, then Door County, Dog N Suds and on and on names and places that I can totally relate too!

And, after doing a little research on the author I discovered that Tom Hanks will be making a movie based on the book (the author's first novel) and it will be due out in 2012!

I am trying to take my time reading it because it is sooo good I don't want to rush through it.

Love, love, love a good book find!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kiminca
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Kim
Ontario CA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  4:40:50 PM  Show Profile
Melody, Who was Edgar Sawtelle? What is his story? I used to live in MN, and vacation up high--I love that whole area. Tell us more. Kim
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  5:04:43 PM  Show Profile
I read earlier this year The Walk by Richard Paul Evans. It was printed last year and his next volume called Miles to Go was printed just this month. He writes the most wonderful books, but this last one left me hanging and I can't wait until the next one comes out April 2012.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  8:29:48 PM  Show Profile
Kim,

Here is one review by Margot Livesev...

"In this beautifully written novel, David Wroblewski creates a remarkable heroe who lives in a world populated as much by dogs as by humans governed as much by the past as by the present. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle is a passionate, absorbing and deeply surprising debut."

And a review posted by Amazon...
"It's gutsy for a debut novelist to offer a modern take on Hamlet set in rural Wisconsin--particularly one in which the young hero, born mute, communicates with people, dogs, and the occasional ghost through his own mix of sign and body language. But David Wroblewski's extraordinary way with language in The Story of Edgar Sawtelle immerses readers in a living, breathing world that is both fantastic and utterly believable. In selecting for temperament and a special intelligence, Edgar's grandfather started a line of unusual dogs--the Sawtelles--and his sons carried on his work. But among human families, undesirable traits aren't so easily predicted, and clashes can erupt with tragic force. Edgar's tale takes you to the extremes of what humans must endure, and when you're finally released, you will come back to yourself feeling wiser, and flush with gratitude. And you will have remembered what magnificent alchemy a finely wrought novel can work. "--Mari Malcolm
The author grew up in rural Wisconsin not far from the Chequamegon National Forest where the story is set and this is his first novel.

I don't normally "gush" about a book and I tried very hard not to pick it up to read today prolonging the journey of reading a very well written book, but I know from other reviews that this will be a difficult read emotionally. I am tender-hearted and the thought of going through a roller coaster of a book has made me a little timid at the moment. It amazes me how some books can affect a person...and this is one of them.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

Chickadoodle_KM
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Kate
Babylon Village NY
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  12:07:36 PM  Show Profile
I'm currently reading Little Bee by Chris Cleave. However, ever since I put it down last week, I just have not had the desire to pick it back up. So, I think I may put it on hold and begin reading “Bees: Nature’s Little Wonders,“ by Candace Savage, that way I can work on earning my intermediate Secret Life of Bees Badge (I'm currently finishing up earning the beginner level).

<3 Kate
Farmgirl (Bookworm) Sister #2958

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-Eleanor Roosevelt

Edited by - Chickadoodle_KM on Apr 20 2011 12:08:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl2
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Trisha
Longview Washington
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  6:55:08 PM  Show Profile
I just started reading Pick Your Poison: A Yellow Rose Mystery By Leann Sweeney.. I really enjoy reading. Blessings, Trisha ~ Farm Sister #2982
Go to Top of Page

SylviaE
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Sylvia
Wichita KS
USA
350 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  8:03:23 PM  Show Profile
I am reading The Knitting Circle by Ann hood. Pretty good so far with lots of emotion.

Sylvia E
Farmgirl Sister #2871
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  9:23:53 PM  Show Profile
I am right in the middle of "The Master Butchers Singing Club" by Louise Erdrich.

It takes place during the depression in Argus, North Dakota....

Can't put it down!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.co
m
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  04:18:20 AM  Show Profile
Kate (Chickadoodle), I read Little Bee and loved it, though it is disturbing and graphic. It is well written and the message is a good one--ultimately uplifting. Dianne in the Hudson Valley

Sister #749

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  4:38:00 PM  Show Profile
I read Little Bee also. I agree it is disturbing and more than once thought about putting it away. But I enjoyed the authors writing style so I persevered. I was so glad I did.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  9:31:26 PM  Show Profile
I bought Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult yesterday, very good sofar.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  11:09:33 PM  Show Profile
That was a good one Marian. I like all her novels. Alot.
I just finishes "The Best Advice I ever Got" by Katie Couric. Very very good!!! Lots of short chapters by celebrities, sports figures, political people and business people about good advice they have recieved or lived by. Very uplifting!
I am reading a book of my daughter's right now...Hunger..the second in the Gone series. Pretty good. There are three. It is about a nuclear thing happening and suddenly there is no one over 14 left..and what happens. My daughter raved about it. I read a couple books between the first and second book in the series if that gives you any idea. I recently read a book called "Garden Spells" that I really liked as well.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Reading Room: Previous Topic What are we reading? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page