Greenwoman
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Michelle
Oregon
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  08:07:23 AM  Show Profile
Valerie, I took an entire semester Shakespeare class in college, and it was wonderful--and nowhere near long enough to cover all his work. The best part about that class was that we read the plays, and then we watched productions of the plays. The professor had been involved in a lot of Shakespearean theatre and always had a lot of stories about different ways she'd seen the play performed and interpreted by different directors. This really helped the plays come to life. After all, they were written to be WATCHED, not just read. I'd say, read them for sure, and then go see as many of them on the stage as you possibly can, or watch many of them on DVD. There are some brilliant cinematic adaptations.

But read them first--get a grasp of the language and plot, because otherwise when you watch you will be LOST!!!!

Michelle
http://greenwoman.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  03:49:13 AM  Show Profile
Oh,I love Elizabeth Gaskell's Cranford! It's charming and funny. And the book Radical Homemakers sounds like something I should read. Dianne

Sister #749

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  08:01:46 AM  Show Profile
Diane,

Have you seen the series from Masterpiece Classic Theatre? It is really good. They actually have the first one called Cranford and then another one called Return to Cranford. I am not sure if just the first one is based on the book or both of them are, since I am still reading the book. If you get Netflix they have both of the miniseries available to rent.
Go to Top of Page

kymomma4
True Blue Farmgirl

516 Posts

RoDonna
Frankfort Kentucky
USA
516 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  7:35:50 PM  Show Profile
I love reading the Romancing America books. It's Christian romance and each book is based in a different state. I also love reading anything by Beverly Lewis. My favorite classic that I reread a lot is "Pride and Prejudice"

Farmgirl #2361
"Blessed is the farmgirl who helps make the world a better and healthy place" ~ Me
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  4:57:55 PM  Show Profile
Have you seen "Lark Rise to Candleford" on PBS? Its based on Flora Thompson's book and its very similar to Cranford - a couple of the same actors - but mostly new. Its very good too.

I like lighter mysteries - nothing too gruesome, but make you think. I like Susan Wittig Albert, who wrote the China Bayless series. She and her husband wrote a series set in England in the late 1800s under the name of Robin Paige - also very good. Now she has a new series called the Darling Dahlias series - set in Alabama in 1929. I just got the first one (I think that's all that out in this series)and its very good. I like British mysteries too...

I could go on and on about mystery writers - any other mystery lovers out there?

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  9:02:48 PM  Show Profile
Just finished Reapers of the Dust by Lois Phillips Hudson about a North Dakota family during the depression/dust bowl who pack up and leave their tenant farm and become migrant workers.

This writer is phenomenal!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  9:25:57 PM  Show Profile
Lorraine,

No I haven't seen Lark Rise to Candleford, but have had it on my netflix list for awhile.

Valerie
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  04:54:57 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Farmgirls. I've seen both Cranford series and Lark Rise to Candleford on Masterpiece. It's probably the only TV I watch. If I don't catch it when it airs I order it on Netflix. Dianne

Sister #749

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Sue
Woodbine Maryland
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  6:55:27 PM  Show Profile
I just finished The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. A wonderful book that entwines 3 generations of women. Highly recommend it!
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  9:03:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! Today at my school library, I found a book that I saw in a magazine, and it looks like a good book. It's called Winter of Disconnect, and it's a journal of how one woman and her three teenage children spend six months disconnected from all techonology. It looks good, so I thought I'd share!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  10:13:44 PM  Show Profile
Uggh....I am waiting for 3 books to come in through an inter-library loan program at my library so I am between books at the moment-

Feeling a little jittery-LOL!

Ever get that way where you pick up a book, put it down and then pick up something else only to put that one down??

Last week, I did try an attempt at Carl Sandburg's one and only novel, "Remembrance Rock" (Over 1,055pages long) but it was just too too much for me. I felt like I was drowning in a sea of very long sentences....

I was on a good stretch for quite a while picking up very good "reads" but lately no luck here.

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  9:22:30 PM  Show Profile
Awww, Melody! I hate when I can't get into a book!
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

TansyShy
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Joanna
Wasilla AK
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  06:18:27 AM  Show Profile  Send TansyShy an AOL message  Click to see TansyShy's MSN Messenger address  Send TansyShy a Yahoo! Message
I am currently reading Flappers and Philosophers by F. Scott Fitzgerald. It's a collection of short stories about, flappers and philosophers lol. It was written in 1920 and I was lucky enough to find it at the local library. I'm almost done with it, and so far I really like it. I love reading old books like this, because you really get an insisght into the daily lives of the people of that era.

Farm girl Sister #907

http://joannasmusings.blogspot.com/

Crayola skies for a thousand miles.
~Charmed Life~
Uptown Girls Soundtrack
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  8:15:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh Joanna, that sounds like something I might like! I read The Great Gatsby, and I really enjoyed it.
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  8:48:21 PM  Show Profile
Just finished Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell...It was stunning!

A MUST read.

Melody Farmgirl #525
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ladyfarmer29
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Tina
Delta OH
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  10:50:21 AM  Show Profile  Send ladyfarmer29 a Yahoo! Message
I feel like an odd ball. LOL Most of what I read is urban fantacy...I am currently working on book 12 of the dresden files....awesome series. I just got a couple more books on my kindle that I had preordered and can't wait to read them. :)

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  12:29:50 PM  Show Profile
These past few months I love reading diaries.

I started reading this few days ago...The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath [Unabridged] [Paperback]
(isbn 0385720254)

Go to Top of Page

TansyShy
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Joanna
Wasilla AK
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  05:35:37 AM  Show Profile  Send TansyShy an AOL message  Click to see TansyShy's MSN Messenger address  Send TansyShy a Yahoo! Message
Megan, you can find it on google books or search your local libraries for it.
The book is wonderful and I am almost done with it. I think Amazon has it too.
Joanna

Farm girl Sister #907

http://joannasmusings.blogspot.com/

Crayola skies for a thousand miles.
~Charmed Life~
Uptown Girls Soundtrack
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  07:19:04 AM  Show Profile
Just finished Driftless by David Rhodes. Wonderful! Takes place in rural SW Wisconsin. We take a lot of road trips to this area. I will definintly look for another of his books next.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  07:54:03 AM  Show Profile
Lately I have been reading a lot of cook books and self sufficiency books. I have been reading "The Commonsense Kitchen" by Tom Hudgens . What a wealth of information!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Gandhi

farmgirl sister #2822

embchicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lindsay C
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Lindsay
Rogersville AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  10:20:42 AM  Show Profile
I just finished reading The Diary of Mattie Spenser, by Sandra Dallas. Stumbled across it at our library and absolutely loved it!!

Lindsay
Farmgirl Sister #1452
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  05:23:35 AM  Show Profile
Melody - I am picking up "Winter Bone" from the library today - can't wait to start it!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Gandhi

farmgirl sister #2822

embchicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  07:55:15 AM  Show Profile
Since getting my Kindle as a gift for Christmas, I have devoured a few books. "Summer on Blossom Street" by Debbie Macomber, love her series on her little knitting shop on Blossom Street. Read "Mossy Creek" by Deborah Smith, loved it about small town people. It was short stories about some of the characters that live in Mossy Creek. Some of the stories were very funny and very sad. Loved it! Found the recommendation here on this forum! "Summer at Willow Lake" by Susan Wiggs. Great book, easy reading, about a girl who's grandparents owned a camp in the Catskills of NY. She went there every summer as a child and returns years later to refurbish the camp for her grandparents 50 wedding anniversary. Absolutely loved it! "Life from Scratch" by Melissa Ford. About a woman who goes through a devorice (sp) and reaches a network of followers thru a cooking blog. It was ok!
Now reading "The Crossroads Cafe" by Deborah Smith. She is the author of "Mossy Creek". This story takes you to a small town also. I'll let you know how it was.

I enjoy seeing the stories that everyone else is reading.
Happy Reading!

gerri
Farmgirl #1197

Happiness is in the comfortable companionship of friends.
-Pam Brown
Go to Top of Page

hiscountrypumpkin
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Debbie
Myrtle Creek OR
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  8:44:01 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE Debbie Macomber's books..Read Blossom Street Series and most Cedar Cove series..Right now I'm reading "The Cowboy's Lady"..It's pretty good so far..
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  6:07:03 PM  Show Profile
I'm reading too much right now to even keep up! I love reading, but I may have bitten off more than I can chew! Do any of you guys ever do that?
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Reading Room: Previous Topic What are we reading? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page