patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  07:06:14 AM  Show Profile
I just started reading The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott and am enjoying it. It's a nice curl up and read book, great for a cold, snowy winter!

Annie, have you seen the video from one man's wilderness. Our local library had it. It was interesting to see where he was, etc.

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  5:34:24 PM  Show Profile
Hey chickies I have not been on this forum in ages.. Right now I am getting ready to read the Forgotten Garden. I popped on to see if anyone has read the Dirty Life.. I loaned it to my mom it's a great farming story..

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
Klamath Falls "Charming Chicks Chapter" Mother Hen
Be sure to check us out
http://www.Klamathfallscharmingchicks.blogspot.com and my personal
Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Grandmas are mom's with more icing.
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  5:45:29 PM  Show Profile
Judy, my hubby just got me A Long Fatal Love Chase by Lousia May Alcott. So good and very different for her, but I loved it. I highly recommend it if you are a fan.

Currently am reading The Road to Yesterday by LM Montgomery. Very good collection of her short stories.

Sarah
Curly's Quilts
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  6:47:39 PM  Show Profile
Right now I am reading The Bones of Plenty by Lois Phillips Hudson. This takes place in Eureka, North Dakota depicting a tenant farmer, his wife and two small daughters.

It's hard for me to sum up so far but reading it is kind of like getting the wind knocked out of you-

Here is what the New York Times review said:

"It is possible...that literary historians of the future will decide that The Bones of Plenty was the farm novel of the Great Drought of the 1920's and 1930s and the Great Depression. Better than any other novel of the period with which I am familiar. Hudson's story presents the frightful disaster that closed thousands of rural banks and drove farmers of their farms, the hopes and savings of a lifetime in ruins about them."

It's very well written but at times a difficult book to read-because it is so frustrating and disheartening-Reminds me of Steinbecks Grapes of Wrath.

When I finish this I want to read Reapers of the Dust-A Prairie Chronicle also written by her.

Melody
Farmgirl #525

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  8:18:26 PM  Show Profile
Next semester for school we are reading Their Eyes Were Watching God. Has anyone read it? I'm also still reading my pre-emams books because I haven't really had a chance to read the past week or so But now I have more time to read!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  05:32:18 AM  Show Profile
Sarah, thanks for the recommendation. I never knew she wrote a book by that title! Now I have to see if I can find it. When I was kid I'd read Eight Cousins and Little Women almost every year. I love those stories!

Melody, what you're reading sounds like my kind of book. I love overcoming hardship stories. I'm going to check and see if the library has it.

Judy
Farm Sister 932

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

gentlewoman farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Judy
Bakersfield Ca
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  5:54:29 PM  Show Profile
I have just finished two books, on The Reciepe Club, they are reading it on the DO you want to form a book club on this section. I didnt like it too much. The best book I have read in 20 years is the one I just finished. UNBROKEN A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand. (She wrote Seabiscuit.) This is a true story of a man that ran in the Olympics just before the war, was shot out of a US AirForce bommer in the the middle of the Pacific Ocean, and spent years in a prisoner of war camp, you would think that would be enough of a story for a book, but what happened to this man and what he did after the war is just unbelievealbe. He is still alive and is in his late ninetys. If you can get it, it is food for thought and it csn impact your life. I got mine off Amazon.com as a used book so it wasnt much.

Be good to yourself and be good to this earth.
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  9:04:40 PM  Show Profile
Judy, I'm going to start the Recipe Club as soon as I get it from my library!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  8:08:03 PM  Show Profile

I can hardly wait to read the Unbroken. I loved Seabiscuit! Right now I'm reading a book By Charlotte Gray called the Gold Diggers about the Alaskan Gold Rush ,specifically the Klondike. She writes well an there are lots of interesting characters in the book; all true including Jack London. I really like non fiction.
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  06:56:37 AM  Show Profile
I finished the Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott and enjoyed it very much. Now I'm listening to the audio version of A Thousand Splendid Suns by K. Hosseini. It's setting is Afghanistan and it is about an illegitimate girl who is married off to an older man when she is 15 because her father's 3 wives don't want her in the house.

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  12:17:19 PM  Show Profile
I had my son pick up O Pioneers by Willa Cather today-Isn't Willa Cather a wonderful writer?

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  1:59:36 PM  Show Profile
I love Willa Cather!! I just finished re-reading "No Time on My Hands" by Grace Snyder - autobiographical book about homesteading in Nebraska, it's really good and two of her neighbors were relatives of Willa Cather, which then reminded me I should reread her books.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  3:55:40 PM  Show Profile
I am reading "Fireflies in December" by Jenifer Erin Valent. It is a WONDERFUL book, the first in a 3-part series. Hope to be able to read the other 2 after I finished this one. Not sure because our library doesn't carry them.

http://www.jennifervalent.com/

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  9:17:24 PM  Show Profile
I finally finished reading about "more readings from one man's wilderness-the journals of richard proenneke 1974-1980".

Now I am starting "beatrix potter-a life in nature" by linda lear.
Go to Top of Page

Lindsay C
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Lindsay
Rogersville AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  07:33:56 AM  Show Profile
I am in the middle of reading The Elm Creek Quilts series. I'm hooked! It's different from what I usually read, but they're nice pleasant reads that don't require a lot of extra thought. I sure wish I knew how to quilts, but that's a skill I never picked up myself.

Lindsay
Farmgirl Sister #1452
Go to Top of Page

Greenwoman
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Michelle
Oregon
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  12:17:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh books, my fave topic. I have sort of schizophrenic reading tastes--I read a lot of farm/environmentalist type books, and then . . . a lot of urban fantasy.

I just finished (and by "just" I mean a couple of hours ago) Robin McKinley's Dragonhaven. I think Robin McKinley is probably my favorite fiction author, or one of them.

At the same time, I'm reading Gaia's Garden--a Guide to Homescale Permaculture, and All About Love by bell hooks. And I have a collection of Native American folktales waiting for me. I like to think of myself as well rounded . . . and I don't JUST mean my hips . . . ha!

Michelle
http://greenwoman.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Lindsay C
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Lindsay
Rogersville AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  12:43:58 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Michelle. You really do have diverse tastes!

Lindsay
Farmgirl Sister #1452
Go to Top of Page

Greenwoman
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Michelle
Oregon
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  2:37:34 PM  Show Profile
Lindsay C, sometimes it makes for strange mental gymnastics. I once dreamed that I was a superhero farmer, blasting evil marauding faeries off my land with light rays from my hands. I can't even remember what I was reading at the time . . . LOL

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  6:43:33 PM  Show Profile
Michelle, that's too funny! But I too have diverse tastes in books.
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  7:48:37 PM  Show Profile
Ok, what an amazing thread . . . I have now compiled a book list that will last quite a while! I work part-time and homeschool my 3 children, so don't have nearly as much time to read as I would like.

I'll cast my vote in the thumbs up column for e-readers. I was one of those who said I'd never like one, need a real book in my hands. My dh bought me a nook and I fell in love! It can hold something like 2000 books. I got a cover for it that opens and closes like a book and keeps the nook snug and safe. I can add new books right then and there from the nook (ok, yes, this is a bit dangerous for us bibliovores!). Also, you can get tons of free public domain books on e-readers. With the nook you can go into Barnes and Noble and read free from thousands of books while in the store.

I'm halfway through "Trials of the Earth: The Autobiography of Mary Hamilton" in real book form. It's "a Mississippi Delta woman's wrenching memoirs of love, courage and survival". Loving it!

On my nook I'm currently reading "Angel Time" by Anne Rice (of Interview with a Vampire fame, converted back to Christianity) and this book is amazing!

Theresa in Colorado
Proud Farmgirl Sister #124
www.thegypsysdaughter.etsy.com
www.thegypsysdaughter.blogspot.com

"I see skies of blue, clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night, and I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World!" ~ Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  7:27:39 PM  Show Profile
Ooh Theresa, the memoir sounds good!
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  3:06:21 PM  Show Profile
I love reading and also love to watch Masterpiece Classic Theatre miniseries based on classical literature. I decided this year to finally start reading some of the books which I liked the miniseries on PBS. So right now I am reading Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell.
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  8:26:33 PM  Show Profile
Valerie, I would like to start reading classic books as well. At my high school, we actually have a class dedicated to Shakespeare, so I would eventually like to take that as a junior or senior.
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  8:47:00 PM  Show Profile
I remember my class read Romeo and Juliet when I was in high school. They have different english language books of it, but my teacher made us read it in the shakespeare english. That was a little hard to understand.
Go to Top of Page

Greenwoman
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Michelle
Oregon
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  08:03:15 AM  Show Profile
I've just started re-reading Radical Homemakers by Shannon Hayes. The subtitle is "Reclaiming domesticity from the consumer culture". It's about people who choose home making as a method of working for social justice and ecological sustainability, and who endeavor to return the household to a unit of production more than a unit of consumption. I read it last year in a big ole hurry, and now I want to read it again more slowly. I highly recommend it to anyone who is trying to live a more sane, land-honoring, community-centric life.

Michelle
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Reading Room: Previous Topic What are we reading? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page