ramonaj
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

rhonda
gibsons british columbia
Canada
118 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2010 :  5:32:18 PM  Show Profile
My book club is reading The White Masai by Corrine Hoffman. I'm also reading the Cake Boss recipe book. I can't wait to make his pecan wedges for Christmas!

happiness to all sentient beings
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2010 :  5:58:01 PM  Show Profile
Oh Rhonda, I love Cake Boss, and being Italian, I really want to learn how to make some of his recipes! That seems like it would be a fun book to read!
God's and Holiday's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2010 :  7:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
Not sure if you have already got an answer to this but here goes.. friday night is the 1st book, knit 2 the 2nd, knit the season the 3rd. Comfort food is not related to the other books. I read it and Loved It!! Love the Knit books as well. Hope it helps.
quote:
Originally posted by Aunt Jenny

I just finished KNit Too, the second book in the Friday night Knitting Club series. I am starting the Knit the Season one, which I think is next in the series..got them used and I could be a little out of order. Does anyone know if Comfort food or Knit the Season comes first? Anyway..starting that one today if I get time to read. Trying to knit every spare minute on Christmas things.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2010 :  7:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
Has anyone read the Arcane Society Novels by Amanda Quick/Jayne Krentz/Jayne Ann Castle? I'm reading them now.
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  05:44:56 AM  Show Profile
I just finished The Prairie Girl's Guide to Life - How to Sew a Sampler Quilt & 49 Other Pioneer Projects for the Modern Girl and just started Mary Jane's Idea Book. I also have Anne of Green Gables bk 1 partially finished (reread).

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2010 :  9:57:27 PM  Show Profile
Just bought a book called How to Bake a Perfect Life. It's pretty good so far, I think I'll enjoy it. But one of my resolutions is to not buy anymore books for the next year! I want to get my library down to something manageable. Then maybe next year I'll start buying again or start a system where I can't buy until I read!
God's and Winter's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  06:43:37 AM  Show Profile
Megan I wish you well with that resolutions. I'd never be able to do it. Its one of the reasons I'm considering an IPad or Kindle - so I can store books electronically and reduce the size of my library or at least make sure it doesn't get any larger. I love the feel of books though which is one of the reasons I haven't broken down and gotten an IPad or Kindle yet.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  8:18:02 PM  Show Profile
Tammy, I could never use a Kindle, Nook, E-reader, etc! I told that to my Nana and she said she almost bought me one! She was glad that she didn't! I just have so many books to read, and they are mostly my clutter problem. I want to get rid of them as I read them.
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  8:44:01 PM  Show Profile
I feel the same way Megan. I could never use kindle, nook, e-reader and etc also. I must feel the book and can't face another screen of any sort. I have 2 computers at work, 1 computer at home, and blackberry and I feel as though I am going blind. That's what I am doing also...read and get rid of.
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  08:24:47 AM  Show Profile
There are definate problems with using any type of ereader including the fact I like to read in the bathtub and it wouldn't be good if I accidentally got it wet or dropped it into the tub. The IPad draws me as it can be used for more then just reading so its multifuctional. The idea of having so many books immediately accessable intrigues me though. It will be at least a year or more before I could budget it so I have plenty of time to figure out if I'll actually like one or not.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  4:30:44 PM  Show Profile
I was listening to this podcast yesterday and it said that some people who have not been big readers in the past have read more since they got an e-reader of sorts. But I already read all of the time! I just like the feel of a real book, and a book, you can just throw in a bag and go. With an expensive e-reader, I would be so worried about damaging it anywhere I go.
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  6:03:52 PM  Show Profile
Still reading
Continuing reading More Readings From One Man's Wilderness: The Journals of Richard L. Proenneke, 1974-1980...I am 3/4 way done.

Starting to read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. I think I could finished this within 10 days.
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  11:46:11 AM  Show Profile
Annie - what is More Readings From One Man's Wilderness about? I assume there's a prequil to that book, so did you read that one also?

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  11:58:53 AM  Show Profile
Don't laugh...I'm currently reading "A journey Across America with the Rolling Stones". I bought my husband the newly released live concert dvd from Texas, 1972, in which they somewhat redeemed themselves with the American fans afte a particularly disastrous concert three years prior at Altamont where the Hells Angels killed someone at their show.

The concert footage is fabulous, and my husband recommended I read the "road journal" that goes along with the tour, written by a (then) 25 year old report for Rolling Stone Magazine. It's completely irreverent, scandalous and so intoned with drug references that it's often over my head, but it's a bit a good romp and I'm making it through, bit by bit. I try to broaden my horizons every now and again from Anne of Green Gables and Jane Austen..

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

foreverbooks
True Blue Farmgirl

514 Posts

Carole
Tombstone AZ
USA
514 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  12:11:12 PM  Show Profile
The new Jayne Ann Krentz' book came out yesterday (Thursday, December 28, 2010) -- In Too Deep. Hopefully, Hastings has it in stock.

Carole

In light, love, and friendship!
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  12:25:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi Tammy-
Yes I finished reading One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey (ISBN-10: 0882405136).

The other book More Readings From One Man's Wilderness: The Journals of Richard L. Proenneke, 1974-1980 (ISBN-10: 0160729947). is the last book.

It is about Richard "Dick" Proenneke living at Alaska for 30 years. He also built a cabin all by himself. It is an amazing book. I truly and so far enjoying it.
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  9:01:39 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing the info on the other book More Readings From One Man's Wilderness. I read the first book and had no idea there was a second one so I will have to watch for it or reserve it from my library.
I am currently reading Harmony by Prince Charles and have enjoyed the first third of the book. I better get reading since it is a library book and I would like to finish it. So far I would highly recommend it to farm girls.
Happy Reading!

barnagainkristin

"Others Before Self"
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2011 :  12:37:46 PM  Show Profile
My DH got me a Kindle for Christmas and I absolutely LOVE it! Right now I am reading "Mossy Creek", it takes place in a small town in Georgia. It is full of short stories about the towns people and the happenings that go on. It was on the Kindle Top 100 Free Books list. I take mine to work with me everyday. DH bought a protective case for it and I just slide it into my backpack and head off to work. It makes makes my backback lighter to because I always buy hardcover books. I like knowing I can switch books in the middle of my lunch break with one of the gazillion books on my Kindle. I wasn't sure if I wanted one and I was going to really check them out at tax time, but he beat me to it and I am really enjoying so far. Happy reading girls!

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2011 :  1:46:18 PM  Show Profile
Melissa, you give good pros for getting an e-reader... Maybe I might change my mind. Well, today I just finished a school library book. Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts. It was such a good book, and I loved it just as much as I loved the movie! Now on to How to Bake a Perfect Life and The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.
God's and New Year's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2011 :  6:58:00 PM  Show Profile
I just finished The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings--I have The Sojourner----and have read and re-read that a dozen times, but I have never read The Yearling-LOVED the movie with Gregory Peck. I couldn't put The Yearling down...one sentence in the book and there were many that touched me, but this sentence described the sunset as the color of his mothers gold wedding band---I thought that was beautiful!

I plan on picking up more of her books at the library on Monday and read every last one of them-

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  10:04:33 AM  Show Profile
Currently reading:
Quilts from Heaven
Source of My Strength
The Bible

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  02:55:40 AM  Show Profile
Just finished The Blueberry Years by Jim Minick, about his 10 years as a blueberry farmer in VA. Very well written and honest. Listening to Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible and loving that. I could drive around all day just to have someone read to me, but it's snowing here today. Dianne in the Hudson Valley

Sister #749

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  08:30:56 AM  Show Profile
About every ten years I read "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury (written 1950). Always makes a huge impact on me. I just passed the book on to my oldest granddaughter. She just got a kindle for Christmas. Next I will rent the movie w/Roy Scheider and Julie Christie. The book was scary to the first time I read it, and still is. (about destroying books). I understand a new version of the film will come out in 2012.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  05:12:47 AM  Show Profile
I have so many books to read ! Plus the books for my spring semester classes. good thing I love to read. Been reading the Dry Creek stories by Janet Tronstad, a mystery called a Marked Man in which the main sleuth is Abigal Adams and in this one she is trying to rescue wrongly accused Henry Knox. I also found a book called Hard Air, flying adventures...many moons ago I used to fly single engine planes and every once in awhile still get the itch to take off. Someday I'm gonna get my license back up but until then I fly off in a book. thanks to all of you who recommend good books, I am always looking for new reads
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  04:03:36 AM  Show Profile
Just started Enrique's Journey for a book club. It's the story of a teenage South American boy who travels "the train of death" through Mexico to America as an illegal immigrant to reunite with his mother after many years. She had left the family when he was 5 to work in the US. The story is interesting but the writing is very stilted. I don't know if the author (a reporter) knows how to write a sentence more than 5 words long! Dianne in the Hudson Valley

Sister #749

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Reading Room: Previous Topic What are we reading? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page