vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  07:37:11 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone read "Arcadia Falls"? started it last night and stayed up waaaaay too late.
Contemporary, about a widow and her daughter who move to upstate NY to teach in a private school. Lots of fairy tales woven into the story.
So far, so good.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

TexBetsy
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Betsy
Princeton TX
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  10:23:32 AM  Show Profile
I just finished "Life Without Limits" by Nick Vujicic. Nick was born without arms or legs, but that did not slow his tremendous, positive outlook on life. I would highly recommend his book. His stories of how he rose above his disability really inspired me to quit whining about my petty little troubles!

Betsy

"God does not command that we do great things, only little things with great love" Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  10:42:08 AM  Show Profile
I just finished "Light on Snow" by Anita Shreve-Never read her before and it was good. I think I might have a couple more of her books in my stacks so I will be pulling those.

Just grabbed "John Adams" by David McCullough and I am LOVING it! I started it once, but put it down so I just blew off the dust and re-started it.

Don't you just love David McCullough's voice?? He does a lot of PBS documentaries...

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  7:04:08 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad that everyone's busy reading! I love reading so much, and I just picked up a new one from the library, a teen chicklit, called Confessions of a Triple Shot Betty. I'm only 40 pages into it, but it's good so far!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

mgary
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Mary
Marion IN
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  1:18:07 PM  Show Profile
I just finished reading Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver. It is a great book about how everyone and everything is intertwined and subject to the laws of nature. Loved it!
Go to Top of Page

J.F. Brown
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Jamie
Beaverton OR
USA
130 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2010 :  1:18:58 PM  Show Profile
Yes, to "Arcadia Falls"; just read it and I enjoyed it, too. And YES to 'Prodigal Summer'! I read it days after my husband passed away, and found it such a salve to my spirit. I have read it at least twice since, and I love it!
Currently just finished a formula mystery, and jumped into another... and am trying a Martin Amis novel called "A Pregnant Widow" set in the early 1970's. Not getting a lot of joy,there, though. Also got one on bonobo apes waiting in the wings. We do a big library run every week!
Go to Top of Page

canyonwren
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Alisha
Reno NV
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2010 :  4:19:45 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I LOVED Prodigal Summer too!
I'm rereading Life of Pi by Yann Martel right now because we will be discussing it in class next week.
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  6:00:09 PM  Show Profile
Bumpin!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  2:28:25 PM  Show Profile
I'm reading Time Was Soft There about the famous Shakespeare and Co. bookstore in Paris. I definitely want to read Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver and Arcadia Falls. They sound great. Dianne

Sister #749

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2010 :  09:17:48 AM  Show Profile
Just finish reading "Dear John" by Nicholas Sparks. A beautiful story, yet so sad. Now started reading "The Carousel" by Richard Paul Evans.

gerri
Farmgirl Sister #1197

Happiness is in the comfortable companionship of friends.
-Pam Brown
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2010 :  10:33:46 AM  Show Profile
Dear John IS good but sad indeed. The Carousel is great too. YUP I am a real fan lol.

I am now reading Trial by Fire, again by Terri Blackstock. Part 4 in the Newpointe 911 series. I have them all except book 3 Word of Honor , and can't find that anywhere here duh.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Edited by - dutchy on Nov 21 2010 10:34:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2010 :  10:41:40 AM  Show Profile
I just finished reading (in one day) a book called PROMISE ME by Richard Paul Evans. I have enjoyed his work for several years and I see I have a few works to get caught up on. The books are never very long, but just grab your heart until you finish. I hope someone else enjoys them as much as I do.

Betty in Pasco

Edited by - Betty J. on Nov 21 2010 10:42:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2010 :  12:27:29 PM  Show Profile
That is his latest book, isn't it Betty?? HOPE to get it one day too.

I just checked his website and see I am 4 books behind! The Promise, The Gift The Christmas List and The Walk...anyone read these ??
ONE day....some day.....lol

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Edited by - dutchy on Nov 21 2010 12:32:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2010 :  12:40:19 PM  Show Profile
Betty, started reading "The Carousel" by Richard Paul Evans this morning and haven't been able to put it down. Of course, that means nothing else get done. But that's o.k. today is Sunday, a day of rest! If it wasn't for a birthday party for my nephew and niece this evening I'd probably have it done.

Again, thanks Dutchy for referring me to Richard Paul Evans!

gerri
Farmgirl #1197

-Pam Brown
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2010 :  07:27:07 AM  Show Profile
Just finished The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Morton and loved it! Now, I'm reading A Secret Kept by the author Sarah's Key. Has anyone else read it?

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2010 :  5:02:01 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I just started read Texas Brides by Cathy Marie Hake. It is so good!
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Just a small town country girl, farmgirl,loggergirl, trying to live her dreams. :)

P.s. I've been playing around with the spelling of my name ( weird I know) and I've decided that I will stick with Hannah for good. Sorry I got you all confused. Hugs!!
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  6:04:40 PM  Show Profile
I just started reading Half-Broke Horses. All I can say at this point is YEE HA!!
Cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  12:34:43 PM  Show Profile
I have finished a few books over my vacation, and I plan on getting A Walk To Remember by Nicholas Sparks from my library today. I have read The Lucky One by him, and I loved it to pieces! Very good writer.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  08:03:09 AM  Show Profile
I just finished KNit Too, the second book in the Friday night Knitting Club series. I am starting the Knit the Season one, which I think is next in the series..got them used and I could be a little out of order. Does anyone know if Comfort food or Knit the Season comes first? Anyway..starting that one today if I get time to read. Trying to knit every spare minute on Christmas things.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  08:59:41 AM  Show Profile
I finished reading One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey. (Richard L. Proenneke)

Continuing reading More Readings From One Man's Wilderness: The Journals of Richard L. Proenneke, 1974-1980
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  10:06:55 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I just finished the book Texas Brides! It is soo good!
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Just a small town country girl, farmgirl,loggergirl, trying to live her dreams. :)

P.s. I've been playing around with the spelling of my name ( weird I know) and I've decided that I will stick with Hannah for good. Sorry I got you all confused. Hugs!!
Go to Top of Page

TexBetsy
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Betsy
Princeton TX
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  10:52:21 AM  Show Profile
I just read Mary Beth Chapman's book, "Choosing to SEE". If you don't know, she is the wife of the Christian singer, Steven Curtis Chapman. Their five year old adopted daughter was hit by a car last spring - a car driven by their teenage son. Let me tell you - I needed the box of tissues reading the first page! But, it is a very powerful story of a family's love for each other, their devotion to God, and their realization that it is all in His hands.

Betsy

"God does not command that we do great things, only little things with great love" Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  12:45:27 PM  Show Profile
Finished "The Carousel" by Richard Paul Evans, wonderful story. Now finishing up "Back on Blossom Street" by Debbie Macomber. It is one of a number of books in a series following the original story of "The Shop on Blossom Street". Also read "A Good Yarn" in the series. The characters come alive and if you have ever been part of a knitting group you can relate to all the ups and downs that these women experience. You feel as if you are an actual participant in the knitting group.

gerri
Farmgirl #1197

-Pam Brown
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  5:45:09 PM  Show Profile
I recently began reading a fiction book about a teenage knitting group, and now I want to read more knitting group books! They are so loveable, it's like comfort food in the form of books!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  6:01:50 PM  Show Profile
I just finished "Homestead" by Jane Kirkpatrick. I am now on the fourth book in her Dreamcatcher Series "Mystic Sweet Communion"

~Catherine~

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Reading Room: Previous Topic What are we reading? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page