herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  5:59:02 PM  Show Profile
Jenny...I still love your Signature as much as I did almost 2 years ago, when I found MaryJane's! Cracks me up every time I read it!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  11:30:04 PM  Show Profile
I keep thinking about changing it, but never found one that suits me better!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  8:48:07 PM  Show Profile
Started reading "A Dirty Life" last night, really enjoying it!

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  10:39:47 PM  Show Profile
Has anybody read The Pact by Jodi Picoult? I saw it at the bookstore and I was wondering if it was worth a read. I also really want to read My Sister's Keeper.
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  4:52:56 PM  Show Profile
The Pact WAS a good one. I like all her books. I liked My sister's keeper the book WAY better than the movie.
Tanya...I really like A Dirty Life alot.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  9:45:57 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jenny! The description made it sound really good. It'll definitely go on my list!
Today I finished The House on Mango Street. It was a really good book. It was so descriptive, and I enjoyed it. It's about a Hispanic girl who lives in Chicago, and it's told in vignettes. It's not really a story; it's more so a description of different things in her life. It's worth a read!
Megan

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  02:46:54 AM  Show Profile
I just started "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown. My brother has all his books and this one twice so he gave it to me to read. Love it sofar :) I never "got into "The DaVinci code" yet, but will give it another go after this one :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  07:59:19 AM  Show Profile
I've been reading the "Sisterchicks" series by Robin Jones Gunn. They are a lot of fun as they take trips all over the world and discover their inner strengths and weaknesses. Then they ask God for His help and renewel in their lives. I can see a lot of my Sis and Me in these books! They're fun!They have a deffinition of (US) in each book:Sisterchick:n:a friend who shares the deepest wonders of your heart,loves you like a sister,and provides a reality check when you're being a brat! hahahaha Yup! That's Us!
There's a Glenbrooke series of Robin's,that I might start next.Smalltown life, women sharing, heartwarming, rich in truth, my kind of girl-stuff. Refreshing!
Hi Dutchy, haven't seen you for awhile. We must be hanging out on different threads. Good to meet-up with you again!
Well, make it a great day girls!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  12:14:35 PM  Show Profile
Judy, I've been away for a month, visiting my brother in Thailand :)

I love Jody Piccoult, I have read a lot of her books lately :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  3:58:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh...that's right, Marian, I remember reading that on your blog when you were talking about your haircut.I couldn't read a word of it but I enjoyed the pics. lol Looked like you had a great time too. Good for you!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!

Edited by - herblady55 on Jul 12 2011 4:01:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  8:59:41 PM  Show Profile
Marian, glad to have another good recommendation for Jodi Picoult. I'm thinking of reading a couple of her books.
Megan

Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  5:05:46 PM  Show Profile
I just finished reading The Boy who came back from Heaven by Kevin and Alex Malarky (sp?). Amazing testimonial about how great God is.

I highly recommend reading it.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  5:24:01 PM  Show Profile
Thanks AnneMarie....Might just have to look that one up!I like your signature about foot imprints.How's the weather up there in Alberta?

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  3:46:00 PM  Show Profile
Tanya (Turtlemoon), Thanks for recommending The Dirty Life by Kristin Kimball. I just finished it and loved it. I have a new appreciation for anyone who farms! Dianne in the Hudson Valley

Sister #749

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  11:05:04 PM  Show Profile
I just finished reading A Walk to Remember. Definitely a good read. I've seen the movie, and so it was nice to see the things they changed in the movie to what the real book was like.
Megan

Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  11:45:04 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by patchworkpeace

quote:
Originally posted by njaw09

I am reading "The Journals of Louisa May Alcott".

I was looking at this book. What do you think so far?

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington

Sorry for the delay patchworkpeace. Had some emergency on my end.

I enjoying the book so far. It has some pictures (few pages) included and that's a plus. I am still reading it though.

I did finished reading "Little Heathens" by Mildred Armstrong Kalish.
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  8:30:14 PM  Show Profile
I got some great ideas for more books to read, thank you! I have read the Yada Yada series and the follow-up series House of Hope. The Elm Creek Quilt series, it not only shared with me how wonderful it is to have close women friends to go thru life with but also the history of quilting in America. Currently I have still been reading whatever new books are out about autism and aspergers for my youngest son and also everything I can get my hands on about self suffiency and farming. A good book always settles me down no matter what problems are going on, everyone needs qa break once in a while.

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  11:22:50 PM  Show Profile
Judy, reading is definitely my way to escape into another world!
Megan

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  6:56:29 PM  Show Profile
Reading Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison something...jeesh. I should know. I am loving it. She wrote the Peach keeper, and several others that I like alot. Just finished reading Spider Web..the newest Benni Harper mystery by Earlene Fowler...it was really good too.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

buggysmum
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Shelly

110 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  03:00:04 AM  Show Profile
Just finished "On the Divinity of Second Chances" by Kaya McLaren. LOVED IT!!! And it even has a main character who finds her true farmgirl nature (and farm) in it!
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  07:50:02 AM  Show Profile
Some of these books sound good but can you give a little bit of info on them too, so I can see if I'd like it ....please...*giggle*

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  1:10:59 PM  Show Profile
I see some of my farmgirl sisters from the over 50 group here -- yea! I was just checking out other forums and clicked here and it clicked with me.

It will be so great to get book recommendations from like-minded sisters. I've done pretty good "winging it" but it will be such an upper to share and to read what others are enjoying.

When I started reading the forum I noted that someone else has (I'm NOT going to try to check back to see who it was - that would be a disaster) read Adriana Trigiani's books. I've read them all. I have read every Earlene Fowler book and enjoyed them all. I liked JoAnn Mapson's Bad Girl Creek, Along Came Earl & Owl and Moon Cafe ... but I couldn't get into the others that she wrote. Easy reading and fun are the Mossy Creek books that a number of women co-authored and blended seamlessly. So far there are 6 books and I am on the fourth - Blessings of Mossy Creek. A couple of memorable books that I would read again are Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.

I'll be back! I need to check bookcases and make notes! So gooooood to find you all.

I am jazzed -

oxox - Sister #3284 - Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  1:52:33 PM  Show Profile
Well Hello again Darlys! Could you tell what some of those books are about...just a line or two. I love good clean mysteries with, cooking in them and recipes, Christian cowboy novels, Amish novels, clean books like that! I bought one book at Borders going out of business sale and I'm glad I only paid a couple of bucks for it, because it was trash! I kept whiting out words and whole sentences, fnally I just threw it out!(I read them and pass them along to my Sister and Mom. We all white out bad words) It was called "High Tea" by Sandra Harper. I thought it was going to be about a group of women meeting at this ladies tearoom and sharing their interesting life stories. That's what the back of the book led me to believe. But it was just trashy from chapter one. Sorry to carry on, but I just don't need to throw good money away on bad literature! ....No matter how cheap!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  2:58:15 PM  Show Profile
Oh Darlys...we for sure have the same taste in books. I just read Earlene Fowler's latest book recently...loved it..like them all. I am reading Water for Elephants right now..just started it. Just this last week I read Unraveled by Maggie Sefton too...a knitting mystery one in a series I like.
Judy..you would like Maggie Sefton's knitting mysteries always patterns and recipes at the end and they are good clean mysteries..same with Earlene Fowler's Quilt Mysteries series.
I love those Amish novels and Christian cowboy ones as well. I just seem to like alot of different types of books.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  3:34:47 PM  Show Profile
Hey Judy! guess what I'm doing ... Laundry! Either I'm very clean or very dirty.

Back to the books ... I'm with you on trash. I just abandon anything that I start reading by "mistake." It just doesn't sit well with me. An occasional "Point" - well, I can deal with it. But some of the garbage out there is just that ... not fit to wrap carrot peels in. That is why I got so excited to see what was going on in this forum. I'm thrilled to share ... and will a lot more. I just have to watch the clock a bit more as I have really gotten "into" the farm and need to pace myself.

Adriana's books are so clean they squeak - some have even called them boring - but I don't think so. I like to pass along books, too -- so I may have read some terrific ones that have faded from memory and moved on to another reader. The Big Stone Gap books -- I actually gave them to a former boss's wife. They are both retired Lutheran pastors. She's not stuffy but wouldn't read anything offensive either. It's been a while but I'll give this a go .... Big Stone Gap, Big Cherry Holler, Milk Glass Moon and Return to Big Stone Gap .... (I've also read other books by her but I'll start here.)

The first one, Big Stone Gap, is set in 1978, in Big Stone Gap, Virginia. Ave Maria is the town spinster (at 35!), and is also privy to the whole town's business since she is the town Pharmacist. She is like so many of us seeming to have confidence in herself one minute then confused the next. Helping others often neglecting herself. Although there are many threads throughout this story (and a hilarious, and reality-based, incident involving Liz Taylor and an unfortunate chicken bone!), the theme of this novel is relationships - including good girlfriends and good men friends. The story continues into (if I recall right) 3 more books.

I would read this again if I were without new material. Wednesday Sisters. It begins "The Wednesday Sisters look like the kind of women who might meet at those fancy coffee shops on University --- we do look that way --- but we're not one bit fancy, and we're not sisters, either. We don't even meet on Wednesdays anymore, although we did at the beginning." Being a mother is the first thing they had in common when they met at Pardee Park in Palo Alto, CA in those early days. Soon after, the 5 women discovered that they all shared a love of books (and Miss America pageants.) After a bit of getting to know each other, they begin to write and critique each other. They forge a strong bond while helping each other through life's ups and (very significant) downs. It's a terrific women's friendship book. (And it is also "clean")

More later, sister!

I'll have to tell you about others later -- but that's a sample.

oxox - Sister #3284 - Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Reading Room: Previous Topic What are we reading? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page