Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  8:10:42 PM  Show Profile
oooh...I am looking for Wedsnesday sisters...sounds good!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  8:29:42 PM  Show Profile
Darlys, The Wednesday Sisters is on my to-read list! And I have heard of Adriana Trigiani. I'm Italian, and I love to read books by Italians/about Italian families.
Right now for school I'm currently reading The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. Even though it's a 'school' book, I'm really enjoying it and highly reccommend it! It's a memoir (even though you wouldn't know it if you just started reading it) about Jeannette Walls growing up with her parents who were very loose when it came to parenting. They were always leaving off on a 'new adventure', when in actuality, they couldn't pay the bills on time. I'm enjoying it so far, and I'm almost done.
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  9:10:14 PM  Show Profile
ThankYouThankYouThankYou Girls....now I have some leads on, what sounds like "Good Reading!" I'm so grateful to you. It helps to hear a little about each book so I can decide.Thanks again!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  10:36:59 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jenny! I usually get my books from Amazon.com. (I know they have Wed. Sisters) and our big-box Barnes & Noble where my husband and I go and load up a couple of times a year. It does sound like we are on the "same page" (ooooo, I couldn't resist that!) when it comes to reading material. I loved Spider Web and, of course, it's description of the "cane fu" expertise of the sisters - specifically though, by Dove. You GO, grandma!

I'm going to get Sugar Queen, too, soon. Let me know what you think of Water for Elephants.

Megan ... You sound very mature for a young sister. I am impressed with your writing ability and style. Well, if you like books with an Italian flavor ... you are going to enjoy A.T.'s books. besides her Big Stone Gap books, a must read for your book list should be Lucia, Lucia. Set in New York - a young woman visits her elderly neighbor and suddenly you are in the midst of a loving but traditional Italian family and the daughter's aspirations to have a "career" in the 50's. It will pull you in.

Judy ... I will probably inundate you with "must reads" .. just give me the high sign if you are liking what I'm putting out there. I'm thinking you might like the Benni Harper books - that Jenny and I both read - by Earlene Flowler if you haven't already discovered them. She always thanks God along with all the people who help her at the beginning of each book. It's nice and I always look for it. Each of the books is named after a quilt block. Benni is the curator of the local quilt museum. They are good, clean mysteries - you've got the ranch with horses and chickens, the (make me laugh out loud) feisty grandma (Dove) who I adore, the small town, the best friend, and the police chief (Gabe) who Benni meets while tossing rocks at his police car. In the first book of the series, Fools Puzzle, Benni was upset over discovering a body during a gala at the museum and Gabe wasn't being very sweet to her while investigating the murder. I've read the entire series - in order.

Tammy, I just recently saw a review of The Help and put it on my "to get" list. It looked good.

Now that I am here I am only a little bummed out about passing along - or donating - so many really wonderful books without first listing them somewhere. I've forgotten so many. I will pay a lot more attention now. But I am thrilled to have a great source for going forward. Bless you all!

oxox - Sister #3284 - Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  11:21:17 AM  Show Profile
Darlys...do you have a website(besides Amazon) that you go to to find books and read the reviews on them, or do you just have other folk who tell you about all the books you find? Just curious. Thanks for all the good ideas. This will keep me busy for awhile.
Hugs Sister!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  12:39:53 PM  Show Profile
Hey Judy ... Amazon is just easy for me. But I've been to Barnes & Noble's site as well. Mostly, I just searched online for authors whose work I already knew, followed the breadcrumbs ... and sort of checked out what they were saying about other authors and their books. That's how I found out that JoAnn Mapson (Bad Girl Creek, etc.) was a teacher/mentor to Earlene Fowler (and other stuff). By the by ... have you heard of The Covington ladies? If not, I've gotta fill you in. Three seniors who come together in a "home" and strike out on their own when one inherits an old house in Covington (that needs a lot of work). Sweet reading that you can really get into. (And not so much as a "dang!" in the series.) I'm just lovin' you, sis. Extra oxox ..

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  12:45:24 PM  Show Profile
A boat load of library books - renovating old barns, tatting, crocheting, dried foods and uses, dyes, saving seeds, and a lot more.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  12:51:52 PM  Show Profile
P.S. Judy -- I should also mention that my sister-in-law just retired after a gazillion years as a librarian in Benicia. She isn't really a source of my selections -- but we do chat books sometimes. She has different taste from me ... and someday I'll have to read one of the cat mysteries that she loads my mother-in-law up with every Christmas. I pass books along to my mother-in-law, too. (She's 91 and still sharp as a tack.) She really, really liked the Ladies' #1 Detective Agency books I gave her. More oxox

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  10:26:53 PM  Show Profile
Darlys, thank you very much! I'm humbled to be here with everyone:) I can't wait to start read A.T's books! I always love finding new authors.
Usually I find good books on my library's blog, and I also find a lot on goodreads.com. They have lists, groups, and all sorts of neat ways to find new books. Also, for anyone looking for a great bookstore, check to see if there's a Half Price Books around your area. I love it, and they usually have things that you wouldn't normally find at some of the larger stores. Not that I'm not a fan of all bookstores, because I definitely am!
Megan

Go to Top of Page

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Pam

USA
502 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  08:27:18 AM  Show Profile  Send coaloha an AOL message
I see that others have mentioned the Outlander Series by Diana Galbadon. I have been reading the series this summer and I am just about to finish the last book. I have enjoyed these books very much. I've become interested in some of the historical events that were mentioned, enjoyed the descriptions of daily life/home-keeping, thoughts on medicine/healing....and really came to care about the main characters. I have read that a new book in the series will come out next year and I am looking forward to it.

Pam Barnes-Palty
Phoenix, AZ
Farmgirl #1075

Be distracted by joy
Go to Top of Page

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Pam

USA
502 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  08:31:42 AM  Show Profile  Send coaloha an AOL message
I read a book by Adriana Trigiani a while back. It was Lucia...I don't think that it was part of a series of books. It was sweet, entertaining, funny, and I enjoyed it very much. So many books, so little time!

Pam Barnes-Palty
Phoenix, AZ
Farmgirl #1075

Be distracted by joy
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  11:00:41 AM  Show Profile
Miss Megan, my 'lil Sis, thanks for the goodreads.com idea. I'll check it out. Some sites are so BIG and intricate that you can go round'n round all day and never really find what you went there to find. That's frustrating!
Hi Pam, Welcome to the "Book-Worms!" Not that we eat them, but we sure do devour them! I like books that talk about herbs, healing and medicine.Years ago I read the Jean Auel series, "Clan of the Cavebear," and learned a lot of herbs and what the female character used them for & where she found them. My (then boyfriend/now hubby) gave me the first one and that's all it took. I was hooked.
I might have to check out "Lucia," since 2 of you have mentioned it now!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!

Edited by - herblady55 on Aug 11 2011 11:01:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  11:53:26 AM  Show Profile
Just started reading a book for pleasure but still can't get my dreams out of my mind. I ma locing it so far, "A Can of Peas" by Traci DePree. Between that and MJF ideabook (both from the library) I have plenty to read.

God bless,

Judy

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  3:36:51 PM  Show Profile
Anyone want to hear about A Year on Ladybug Farm? I did enjoy the "farm" and the 3 women who bought it. Looking forward to the next book in October (I think).

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  12:32:42 AM  Show Profile
Judy, my pleasure! It's also a good way to keep track of what books you want to read.
Darlys, I just looked up A Year on Ladybug Farm, and it sounds good. I would love to hear more about it!
Today I finally finished The Glass Castle. Jeannette Walls is such a good storyteller, and she made me feel like I was with her and her family at every major turnpoint. I couldn't help but feel sorry for all four of the Walls children. It was such a good book, and I was rooting for Jeannette the entire book. It's really sad near the end (I won't give away any details, I promise!). Jeannette is about to move off to New York, and since she and her siblings were little, her father (who is a raging alcoholic), has always talked about building the perfect house, the glass castle. Her dad tried to convince her to stay by telling her that he would finally build the glass castle. It was a good book, and it was an example of how alcohol can ruin a relationship.
Megan

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  04:46:18 AM  Show Profile
I just started with a new to me series, called MAGYK by Angie Sage. A little like the Harry Potter books...only different lol. So far not too bad.

Have some books waiting for me at the library, will pick them up Tuesday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3323 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3323 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  06:09:40 AM  Show Profile

The Art of Mending
by
Elizabeth Berg

What's it About?
A woman's grown sister makes allegations about abuse she claims to have suffered at the hands of their mother when they were growing up. The book is about the way that everyone in a family has a different experience of it. The narrator must decide if what her sister is saying is true, and what her obligations now are-to her family of origin as well as to the family she has with her husband.
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  09:13:56 AM  Show Profile
Megan - I'll give you a bit about Ladybug Farm just as soon as I have time to sit and "think" about it. It's hard for me to "keep it short" but if I have time to ramble and write - I am pretty good at editing my thoughts before I put them out there. I can tell you this ... it's truly a friendship book and fun to read. The mishaps while making the farm livable (sweeping out the ladybugs and fixing the place up) - while you can imagine frustration - are laugh out loud funny.
I just can't do Glass Castle -- I grew up with and had a marriage ruined by alcoholism. It's too painful.

Melody - The Art of Mending sounds like a powerful read.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  2:19:34 PM  Show Profile
Just finished Water for Elephants. It was good...hard to read in some parts because of the cruelty to both animals and people..but loved the ending!
Reading the Last Letter now, and have The Wednesday sisters "on deck" after that.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  9:21:54 PM  Show Profile
Melody, The Art of Mending sounds good!
Darlys, I think Glass Castle could definitely bring back bad memories if you have been affected by alcoholism. It was a powerful read, though, and it gave me a glimpse (never going to be as powerful as personal experience, of course,) of how terrifying it is and how unstable life with an alchoholic can be.
Megan

Go to Top of Page

DeniseMGM
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Denise
WI
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  07:40:53 AM  Show Profile
Mary Janes recommendation of "The Soul of a Horse" was a great read about bonding with horses and keeping them natural. I recommend it!

Denise - Farmgirl #1976

www.lionsdaughter.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  4:23:19 PM  Show Profile
Can't believe how busy I've been. Still have Blessings of Mossy Creek sittin' bedside. I know I'll love it - it's just that I've been so tired when I turn down the covers lately.

Fannie Flagg fans ... (or anyone curious about her books) I'm not crazy about everything she wrote but! there are a couple that are "must reads." Can't Wait to Get to Heaven - and - Standing in the Rainbow .. in that order. Fun, funny and definitely worth reading.

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3323 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3323 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  8:48:45 PM  Show Profile
Just finished "Postcards" by E. Annie Proulx and started

Revenge of the Radioactive Lady by Elizabeth Stuckey-French

This taken from the NY Times Book Review:

"The title of Elizabeth Stuckey-­French’s latest novel is playfully retro, hinting that the radioactive lady’s revenge will be nutty and kooky, not dark and messy. And if the lady in question is 77, how dangerous can she be?"

...I know, I know....from one extreme to the other, but after reading "Postcards" I needed something a little lighter!

Lovin it!

Melody Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  10:00:12 PM  Show Profile
just finished The Help. Great story!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  12:52:16 AM  Show Profile
I have recently read The Help, Heaven is for Real, Farah Faucett's story, and currently Water for Elephants. All are great books...would recommend all of these!

Hoosiermom
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Reading Room: Previous Topic What are we reading? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page