LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  2:25:22 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone heard that the flu vaccine this year will also include the H1N1 vaccine?
I am concerned about this, for those who have already had H1N1 itself.
I know with the Spanish Flu epidemic in the early 1900's, those who had the vaccine after suffering from the flu, were the most severely hit when it began its second round. I believe that the flu had mutated at that point and that's what was so deadly.
I will try to find my reference for that, it might take me a couple of days, but I know I for one will not be getting a flu shot this year.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. "~ Mary Pickford

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  2:48:52 PM  Show Profile
We decided many years ago to not get the flu shots and I have not regretted it. We also chose a different way for our children to get their immunizations. Just giving the kids mass immunizations was not for us.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad!
Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  4:19:55 PM  Show Profile
I have never gotten any kind of flu shot and never will. I am too afraid of them. I heard on the news that our local hospital is asking it's employees to take the shot and if they don't they have to wear a mask while working. I would take the mask over the shot any day please. I have never had flu or pnuemonia either. So never plan on getting any shots.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  4:56:56 PM  Show Profile
Kris, you are lucky. I'm definitely getting the flu shot this year. I have had the flu for the past two years, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I don't want my body to go through that again.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  5:13:10 PM  Show Profile
Yes, the H1N1 is included this year: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/

I do not personally get the flu shot, but I do get one every year for my oldest daughter. She had gotten the flu for 2 years in a row because I kept on forgetting to get her one. :0( Not worth it, in her case. I probably will also vaccinate my youngest again this year, since the oldest is in public school.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  06:13:44 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I am on the fence this year. We live in an area that has lots of people that are questionable if they are legal. So I know darn well that they aren't up to date on any injections. So I am seriously thinking about us all getting it this year. We have had strep and a nasty stomach thing already.

I had to get it when I worked at the hospital. I had it when I was pregnant with Bri.

So I think all of us are going to get it this year. Even the doctor on Fox news advised it for this year. Something he normally doesn't do.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  07:08:00 AM  Show Profile
just my opinion, i just would never inject or take something so new and poorly researched and offered by a big org.thoughtfully sherrrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  1:25:42 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I both got the flu shot this year. Funny I usually get an itchy feeling in the spot for a couple days. But this no itch nothing. I honestly even forget that I had gotten it. I have never had a bad reaction to the flu shots and have had them for years and years now. I had the flu one time and that was more than enough for me!! It was horrible. Since then shot every year. Just my experiences.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

vintage saver
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

oleta
wheelersburg ohio
USA
323 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2010 :  05:43:23 AM  Show Profile
Wal-mart had a table set up here in the store for flu shots. When I stopped to get one, they said people on Medi-caid couldn't get one. I knew this was wrong! mY Medicare card was in my big purse at home.(I have both.)Then I remembered why I don't buy my meds at Wal-mart. Years ago, I only had Medicaid to pay for my meds after a spendown and Wal-Mart wouldn't take Medicaid, so when Medicare part D came in for meds, guess what? Wal-Mart didn't get my business! I spend my money at Krogers and that's where I'll get my flu shot. You have to have a contract with Medicaid for a store to fill your prescriptions. Why doesn't Wal-Mart?
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2010 :  4:49:53 PM  Show Profile
I am a teacher, and have had pneumonia twice in the past, so I always get the flu shot. I had it about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and it seemed about the same as any other year - almost no reaction at all.

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2010 :  5:00:32 PM  Show Profile
The hospital that I work at has the same thing take the shot or wear the mask. If you are not wearing the mask then you can be terminated. I have taken the shot last year and this year - but I do get the preservative free. The last time I did not get preservative free I was very sick from the shot.

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9327 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9327 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2010 :  05:03:22 AM  Show Profile
Every year my parents who are in their mid 80's get the flu shot and every year they get the flu. I don't see the advantage to it.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2010 :  06:28:50 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I took the flu shot a couple of times, both years I worked in a nursing home and thought I probably better. Both years I got the flu. haven't had it when I don't take the shot. I refuse to take the H1N1 and I refuse to let my kids have it. I just don't feel that it has went through enough testing and I'm not one to play Russian Roulette.

My mom told me that years ago, I think it was back in the 70's, they had an outbreak like the H1N1. A lady that she knew had worked her whole life, saved her money and planned to spend her retirement traveling the world. She got her passport and all that gathered and then found out she had to have this flu shot before traveling abroad. She got sick, the shot left her paralyzed and she never did get to travel.

Last year my dad's girlfriend's grandson got the H1N1 vaccine with his family. His brother got sick, but this poor kid got hit hard! Not only did he get an awful case of the flu, he became paralyzed from the waist down. He was sent to up north to a more advanced hospital- Riley's. Riley's Hospital is known for some great things, but theycould not help him. They transfered him to St. Louis to see a different doc. I think that doctor has made some progress with him, but he's still struggling the last I heard.

So no flu shot for us this year.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ Etsy~http://www.etsy.com/shop/theflourishingfinch

Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  9:30:08 PM  Show Profile
I don't know what to do this year. We almost always get a shot but something about this one strikes me as fishy. Last year they had the normal flu vaccine then said you needed to get one for H1N1 also. And all you heard was everyone that got the flu it was the H1N1 strain. Even after the flu season they kept urging everyone to get the H1N1 vaccine. Never heard a vacine shoved down the public like this one. And the last several years there have been shortages of vaccines and they were even limiting who got the shots last year. Now all of a sudden they have more than enough vaccine to give to every man woman and child and then some and they've had it available since this summer? And this vaccine covers 3 types of flu, 2 regular and the H1N1.

There seems to be one strain of flu that goes around seasonal and they don't revaccinate for that the next year, they come up with a new vaccine. Since everyone who got the flu last year got the H1N1 strain, wouldn't that have made it the seasonal strain? And if so, why are they continuing to vaccinate people for last years seasonal?

Like I said, it all sounds fishy to me. Why are they so bound and determined to give everyone the H1N1 vaccine?

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  10:25:21 PM  Show Profile
They are bound and determined because sometimes H1N1 hits suddenly and hard and takes down otherwise healthy folk, sometimes killing them. Doctors might not be right, but they do tend to try and stop their patients from dying lol. Enough victims have had life-threatening issues that continue even after getting over N1H1....I have heard some scary stories from first hand accounts in these parts. The vaccine is the only way they know of stopping it. While I am not convinced that they are right that the vaccine is harmless, I see nothing fishy in trying to save lives. Most folk who get the flu after the shot get over it quickly, and those with compromised immune systems benefit no doubt.....which is sadly a growing percentage of folks too. Having said all that...I am not getting it. I get the flu once every 5-8 years and I work retail and now I have RA so I guess I don't get sick easily. If I did, or had young kids to take care of, I might think differently.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  10:28:03 PM  Show Profile
In published studies Elderberry has been shown to not allow the flu virus to enter the cell. that is if taken in advance of being exposed to the virus. Once exposed and then starting the elderberry it will not allow the virus to replicate. It has been shown to be as effective as Tamiflu.
Here is a link to one of the studies- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19682714

I take an herbal formula that has elderberry, olive leaf, echenacea, and royal jelly. I take it every morning of the winter season and have not had a cold or flu or ANYTHING like that in three years. I do not take flu shots. I have clients that have done this program too and they have also stayed well and not missed any work all winter.

Such a great thing!

Farmgirl Sister #758
www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com
http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/
http://healthtalkcafe.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Windsong on Oct 20 2010 10:31:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2010 :  07:40:30 AM  Show Profile
I did a paper on the Great Pandemic of 1918-1919 when I was in college and since then have steered clear of any type of flu vaccine.

Does anyone remember the flu scare in 1976?
I remember going to the local high school for inoculations and becoming extremely ill afterwards.

You are right about the flu strain mutating.It is hit or miss as far as vaccines and frankly, I just don't think it is worth the risk.

I think it's the pharmaceutical companies out to get rich quick and forget about the consequences-

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com

Edited by - melody on Oct 21 2010 2:07:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2010 :  8:37:47 PM  Show Profile
Melody, I remember the '76 flu scare, wasn't it also a swine flu? I know back then they made the vaccines out of live viruses and soooo many people actually got the flu from the vaccine itself. I guess now it's not a live vaccine so you're not supposed to get the flu from the vaccine but so many people say they do, you have to wonder.

I also wonder how they figure out what flu is going to be the seasonal flu for the coming year. Are they looking into their crystal balls or what? I think the only reason they included the H1N1 this year is because they had so much of it left over from last year! No sense in letting it go to waste.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2010 :  08:26:48 AM  Show Profile
Audrey--

'76 was a long time ago, but I can still remember how ill I became afterwards- I was newly married and you have no idea how much I wanted to go home to mother to have her take care of me!

Has it become so casual a thing to be given a flu shot? People need to rethink about what they are getting injected with and really, really weigh the benefits/risks.

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2010 :  08:41:57 AM  Show Profile
Every one I talk to gets the flu shot, and they are pressured into doing so. My own doctor just won't give up on telling me how I need to get one. but cannot answer my questions about exactly what is in it. And no, we do not have the preserative free injection. People need to be informed, we all know that, but it is much easier to just watch Diane Sawyer and learn from her what you need. UGH. I get a little fustrated about how casually it is available. Oh well. I'm going to go pull some weeds and calm down.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad!
Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2010 :  1:40:01 PM  Show Profile
It was good to read everyone's opinion on this, whether the flu shot has or doesn't have the H1N1 part in it this year, I won't be getting one.
Prior to last winter, I had been so sick every year. Twice in 2008 I had had emergency room visits, and was just constantly getting colds, flu, bronchitis, etc.
I was counseled to make sure I had my flu vaccine every year by my doctor. On my own I started a pro-active program on improving my health. Between getting rid of chemicals in my home, leaving windows open and lower heating temperatures, and getting outside and taking extra vitamin D(somedays I would take mega doses.) I also changed the way I did things when I was out in public. I have not been sick in almost 18 months. Not even a sniffle. Last fall, I went crazy trying to find somewhere to get a flu vaccine- my drs. office accidentally forgot to call me both times they had clinics, and I couldn't seem to find anywhere else to get one(this was a bad area for H1N1 flu). I finally gave up, deciding I was just not meant to have a flu vaccine last year. I have never had one before either.
Well. As I said, I have not been sick in a very long time. I know it has a lot to do with the changes I've made and how I'm taking care of myself. If I get the flu this year, at least I know I'll have done everything I can to NOT get it, lol!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. "~ Mary Pickford

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9327 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9327 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2010 :  2:03:04 PM  Show Profile
I agree on the elderberry.
you don't have to worry about side effects. I take it everyday year round.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  03:52:56 AM  Show Profile
LaVonna,

Does the formula you take have a label and a brand that can be located via google search?

I'm interested.

Our work offers free vaccines, but this year I missed out.

Only got a bad cold last year. I use hand sanitizers after shopping and tend to stay away from large concerntations of people, mostly b/c we live so far out
Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  07:38:57 AM  Show Profile
Nature's Sunshine Elderberry Defense. I have an affilliate site you can order through. www.mynsp.com/NaturesPathC-LGates.
I have done business with them for years.

Farmgirl Sister #758
www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com
http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/
http://healthtalkcafe.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

hwright95
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Heather
Murfreesboro TN
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2010 :  07:34:30 AM  Show Profile
I know this topic is a bit old, but for the past 11 years, since I had my first daughter I have gotten flu shots for myself and children. My husband never does, he smokes, and he has heart problems, but never seems to get colds/flu ect. I don't smoke and am doing better with my walking, and I catch everything that comes around. To get on with it I am sitting here with the flu, I feel awful my fever has just broke so I have a moment of relief but OH man this sucks. I'm missing my 6 yr old daughter's Christmas program this morning
I think a great deal of this all come down to genetics. I'll be getting a flu shot next year

Heather Wright~ Farmgirl Sister #2187 Plant your own garden and decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers. ~Veronica A. Shoffstall
www.vintagekarmajewels.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2010 :  10:09:52 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I have never gotten the flu shot and never will. I've never gotten the flu and it seems that all my friends who do get the flu shot got the flu. One of my friends got the flu shot and she got the flu 3 times. Not worth it if you ask me.
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Just a small town country girl, farmgirl,loggergirl, trying to live her dreams. :)

P.s. I've been playing around with the spelling of my name ( weird I know) and I've decided that I will stick with Hannah for good. Sorry I got you all confused. Hugs!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic The new flu vaccine Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page