Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Am I crazy or adventureous?...you decide :-D
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Am I crazy or adventureous?...you decide :-D Next Topic
Page: of 2

hsmommel
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Melissa

61 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  12:40:51 PM  Show Profile
So, I haven't been on here since I joined because about the same time my husband got called for a job interview in VA (we live in NE WI), and well, a tenative job offer (hopefully the call with his start date this week), and as such, we have working our frannies off trying to get stuff done around the house to sell it.

So, as we've been working we've been talking, researching and we want land! We want a place to garden, a place to have animals, etc...so, we decided that we want to buy a few acres (3-5) in VA and if we have to camp on it until we can build our yurts...yes, I said yurts (www.pacificyurts.com). Our kids are completely onboard, and well we are definitely not afraid of adventure. So would love to know what anyone else thinks. More so because I'm looking for feedback, insight (maybe someone else out here has done something similar), things we may need to think about, etc. I'm excited about doing this, and I know I'll forget to consider something, but ... well, I think you get the idea. :-D

TTFN!!
Melissa

"What you do speaks so loudly I can't hear what you are saying." -- Benjamin Franklin

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  1:00:32 PM  Show Profile
IF I remember correctly someone here lived in a Yurt?? I don't know if she still posts here, but she might.

Sounds real interesting.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  1:03:09 PM  Show Profile
I say adventurous! It sounds like you are up for the challenge!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  1:34:48 PM  Show Profile
Melissa, sounds adventurous to me too! My DH (that is Dear Husband) and I have researched Yurts and think they are awesome. Good luck in finding your land and moving.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  1:55:19 PM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
I see and have read about yurts in the mother earth mags. They say they are good but I would not know. Remember Virginia like many other states has very changable weather. So research the area you plan to move to after doing some real hevay research on yurts. Just goggle and go from there. Good luck Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

hsmommel
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Melissa

61 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  2:28:28 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Lilly -- and from what we have researched thus far we are amazed! People live in these things year-round in Alaska, which just blew our minds. We are having fun researching, and so far the more we research the more doable it looks. :-D

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone! I would love to talk to someone (who happens to be a part of the sisterhood) who lives in a yurt. That would be wonderful!

"What you do speaks so loudly I can't hear what you are saying." -- Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  2:53:18 PM  Show Profile
Melissa- It sounds like you are well on your way to success. Continue to research and search out people who live/have lived in a yurt and I am sure you will do just fine!
Good Luck to you and keep us posted!
Smiles,
Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  4:18:44 PM  Show Profile

The sample yurt looks beautiful. I'm glad to hear you are researching and checking out other people who live in them.

How high are the sides? It looks like the lower side walls aren't a probem with the interior, but do you have to duck to go through the entry door? How is it anchored to the ground? Would a heavy wind be hazardous? Will it be on a cement slab or wooden foundation? We live in MN and have a basement under the main octagon but added rooms on for bedrooms that have a crawl space under them. You will want to insulate under the floor for sure or have heated floors if you won't have a basement.
We debated about building a round or octagon house and decided on an octagon. It was a tremendous experience building it ourselves. We did move in before there were real windows, just plastic over the holes so we could save a couple of months rent and put in more time working on it. We had too small a wood stove that first winter and it was "bath time" when we could geet the heat up to 45 degrees. But that was before kids and we were up for the adventure. I am wondering about the insulation, if someone is living in one in Alaska it had better be well insulated or they would pump tremendous amounts of heat to survive and be comfortable.
It sounds like a great adventure, but you want to be sure it will be permanent and comfortable.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  5:31:34 PM  Show Profile
I hope you find the land that is perfect for ya'll. And a good spot for a home. From what I hear, Virginia can be really cold. I wish you lots of good luck and happy hunting! Can't wait to see pictures of your own yurt soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  5:35:07 PM  Show Profile
I would think that living year round in a yurt is very doable. Didn't yurts evolve from the Mongolian nomadic horsemen? It gets very cold in Mongolia so there has to be ways of keeping it warm. I think it sounds very sustainable and hope you don't run into any bureaucratic problems.
Cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

hsmommel
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Melissa

61 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  05:55:53 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Susan -- great questions, and most I already have the answers to, and no, you don't have to duck to get through the door, it's a standard size door. The walls height standard is 6', but we have a son that tall (and two more right behind him) so we will upgrade to the 7'walls. Then it will taper up to 30' at the center. Agree completely about insulating the floors, we figured that right off, but I have to say, I am impressed with the insulation that you can get with it. It's the same stuff that NASA uses for the astronauts, and based on the blogs we have found of people living in the yurts, they haven't had to do any additional insulating with the right size stove. :-D Because we would be in the SE (along the coast) of VA, we are digging more into wind standards with them.

And yes Cindy -- they are evolved from the mongolian yurts!...or gers as we have learned they are also called.

Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  9:06:48 PM  Show Profile
My mom and I spent the weekend in a yurt on the Oregon coast, they had them for rent in the campground.
If I remember correctly we walked up some stairs to go in the full sized doorway, and it was quite roomy
inside with electric and heat. It was nice and comfortable. I'm a tent camper so the yurt was a real treat!
Adventureous!
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  04:44:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi Melissa,
Thank you for including a link to yurts. I never heard of them and find them very intriguing. A yurt may be the answer to our seasonal housing need. I sent for information and need to find out if there are any zoning restrictions or special needs for the township we want to have a seasonal home in. Do you know if the manufacturer can supply any names of people with yurts in different parts of the continent? I would like to talk with someone who has one near where we would be.

Congrats on your move and upcoming adventure! Please keep us posted.

Lida
Go to Top of Page

hsmommel
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Melissa

61 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  8:41:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lida -- this link (http://www.yurts.com/how/yurt-vacations.aspx) can point you to where you can find commercial ones in your area, but as for personal, I'm not sure. We have not taken that step yet, but I would imagine, from all the research we have done thus far, that if you contact pacific yurts that they may or may not have a list of people who are willing to talk to others interested in yurt living. There is also a book out "Yurts Life in the Round" (this is the website of the author, http://www.yurtinfo.org/). We are planning to order this soon to add to our research. Based on what we have found on this website, the book can help you with zoning as well. I hope this is helpful. :-D

Melissa

Go to Top of Page

Chris
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Chris
Maumee OH
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2010 :  06:37:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message
Just go for it, In the end it will enrich your lives, change your attitudes and give everyong great memories. Life is short, Live it!

Simple Life Urban Farm gals, Toledo, Ohio group
Go to Top of Page

KDFH
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Karen
Chesapeake VA
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2010 :  1:12:45 PM  Show Profile
Wishing you the best. Are you nearthe coast or the mountains? I am in Chesapeake. I think your biggest concerns in this area would be northeasters and hurricanes. Don't buy land that is low and floods easily. My daughter is in the mountains os SW Virginia. This is the area of Christiansburg, Blacksburg and Roanoke. I am sure there are nice folks in that area who could advise you.
Go to Top of Page

hsmommel
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Melissa

61 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2010 :  1:55:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karen -- thanks bunches! Right now we are in WI, but anticipating a move soon (I'm praying not while it's snowing), but we are looking in the Surry area. We don't know much about the area, but we would agree about hurricanes, not sure about northeasters. We get those here and yes, they are awful, but don't know how they compare to them there. :-O

Thanks Chris! We tend to agree -- go for it! We tend to be an adventureous family anyhow. :-D

Be blessed!
Melissa

Go to Top of Page

child in harmony
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Marcia
Middleboro MA
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  2:13:02 PM  Show Profile
Go for it! Life should be an adventure! I would LOVE to live in a yurt !

~marcia

www.harmonywoodsfarm.com
www.childinharmony.com

"Enriching,nurturing and inspiring Life with nature,animals
and the arts .. for the child and the child within"
Go to Top of Page

Ann2144
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

USA
106 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  4:25:56 PM  Show Profile
I have priced out the yurts, and all the accessories, and I long for a piece of land to go with!! I am praying and squeezing eyes shut tight for you to get your dream!!

Love Each Other
Go to Top of Page

countrified_city_gurl
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

najia
heidelberg
Germany
27 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  11:40:51 AM  Show Profile
Definitely NOT crazy because if you are crazy then so am I. I cannot wait for my DH to retire from the military because we are buying a little chunk of paradise and plopping a wonderful yurt right in the center!!! <3

Najia, the countrified city girl! #2221

Maybe a person's time would be as well spent raising food as raising money to buy food. ~Frank A. Clark

Go to Top of Page

DyaLynn53
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Dianne
Roseburg Oregon
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  2:22:20 PM  Show Profile
Those Mongolian nomads are still using yurts to this day. I think it's a super-fantastic, exciting, wonderful awesome adventure and I'm adding my "Go for it" with all the others.

Farmgirl Sister #682

"Life is a great big canvas and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye
Go to Top of Page

Chelley
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Mesa AZ
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  7:13:00 PM  Show Profile
Melissa,
This sounds like a wonderful adventure. At one time, several years ago, I had looked into yurts (in order to purchase a few acres), but then bought a house in a development instead (I realized I just could not handle all the work of a small farm myself and settled for a nice garden). I still think it would be fun to live in one. Here's wishing you all the best.

--chelley.

Farmgirl Sister #2323

...returning raw foodist....new knitter...happy 1st time homeowner...Wisconsin FG currently living in the desert...
Go to Top of Page

CountryThymeLady
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Wanda
Lakeville Nova Scotia
Canada
3 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  06:56:46 AM  Show Profile
Wow! This sounds like an exciting adventure to me and as for the Yurt I'd love to try it ....not sure hubby would think so ,but ya just never know with men ! I'm looking forward to all your news with the Yurt ...it's getting close to Christmas .....any plans on how and where you'll celebrate ? I envy you this special time in your travels along life's highway .

Hugs from the Nova Scotia newbie ;

Wanda (Country Thyme Lady )
Go to Top of Page

hsmommel
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Melissa

61 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2010 :  6:14:30 PM  Show Profile
Update!!

Wow! So much has happened where do I start? Well, how about the job in VA fell through -- who would have thought that having vision correctable to only 20/22 instead of 20/20 would disqualify you for a job?!?! That news came the end of October. The blessing though, is the week before Thanksgiving, dh got called back to the job he was laid off from and whew...what a blessing!

As for the yurt...this plan is currently on hold, but is still a definite desire for our future. We are now expanding our research to determine how well it would work in WI (where we currently reside) and any and all options with that. Finding land is the first step. :-D Right now, while we get our barrings back in order the yurt is on hold though. :-(

You are all such wonderful, amazing and adventurous ladies! I love it!! Thank you so much for all the wonderful support and encouragement. It's so nice to know I'm not the only slightly wild woman out there! :-D hee-hee
Melissa

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  11:30:02 AM  Show Profile
I think it would be totally cool to live in a yurt. I have thought about putting one out on our land away from the house as a guest cottage.

Hope you old house sells quickly.
I have looked into stone houses as well. Stone is very abundant around here.

Holly

Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  5:28:05 PM  Show Profile
Adventurous by far!

I have friends in Adams County PA that live out of yerts and they are so happy. When you switch lifestyles like this is makes you realize how important certain things are and how unimportant things like malls are.

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Am I crazy or adventureous?...you decide :-D Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page