vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  8:16:37 PM  Show Profile
DH and I thinking about relocation to Kentucky or Tenessee farm for a better growing season. Any of you farmgirls want to chime in about pros and cons of these states? Looking for country! Old fashioned values and friendly neighbors. Any information you could give us would be helpful. Don't need to be close to the city amenities but I teach at the community college level and one of those would be great!

simplefancies
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Tami Lynn
Longview WA
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  10:04:45 PM  Show Profile
I'm not certain what to tell you but the south (TN!!) is gorgeous! We lived in Crossville, TN and had to move back to WA for my husbands job. Next year we plan on heading east on vacation to purchase property in TN. Prices are phenominal compared to other areas of this country and let me tell you how my garden grew!!

www.theporcelaindesk.blogspot.com
1 Tim. 6:8 But if we have food and shelter, we will be satisfied with that.
Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  11:49:04 AM  Show Profile
We have been looking in western to middle TN. We found a place with nice rolling pastures, about as flat as middle TN gets, but they are wanting $3200 an acre. We are in sticker shock.
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  2:27:12 PM  Show Profile

Thanks! We have heard good things about Crossville and the area.
I would love to have more tomatoes, peppers and eggplants. Somewhat hard to grow well where we live now! Anyone live in Oregon county Missouri? We have seen some places there on the internet that look interesting.
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  3:32:26 PM  Show Profile
Victoria, We live in Blue Ridge, GA which is about 7 miles from Copperhill, TN and 20 Miles to Murphy, NC. I'll be glad to mail you Georgia's Farmers Market Bulletin. Also, land ads from our little newspaper. You might even be able to go online at the News Observer, Fannin, CO. GA for info. If you'd like me to send you the FMB, e-mail me your address and I'll be glad to put it in the mail to you.
We love it here - we are not farmers, but there sure are many of them in the area! Tennessee has no State Income Tax! There are several community Colleges in the Tri State Area (GA/TN/NC)
Very friendly people too!
Where are you in Vermont? I'm originally from Scituate, MA!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  5:28:58 PM  Show Profile
Victoria, We live in NW GA. as small town called Plainville. About 1 hr from Atlanta and 1 hr from Chattanooga Tenn. The towns we go shopping are Calhoun and Rome Ga. And they are about 12 miles from us. We love it here. and you can really get a good deal on a farm here. Look on craigslist and you can find quite alot in the places you are looking at.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  5:39:11 PM  Show Profile
I am in Ga. Just a few minutes South of Chattanooga. Now that's a great place to live near. So much to do and lots of jobs opening up all over. Of course I think Ga. is the best place to live. Good luck on your hunt.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  6:18:35 PM  Show Profile
I live in northeast area of GA.. Toccoa, Stephens County... Don't come here! Don't get me wrong.. but this area is dead.. nothing here... no jobs.. notta. It is beautiful but not practical in any sense.

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  2:39:23 PM  Show Profile

Thank you ladies for you kind suggestions. We had'nt thought too much about Georgia but it sounds like its got some great things going for it. Ruth we live in Southern Vermont in Chester. Its a small town ; our closest bigger town is Brattleboro.Massachusetts is a beautiful state. We dont make it down there that much. DH ancestors are from the Lunenberg area. We have had fun looking into the history here! We are having some our usual weather today; snow, rain and sleet on top. Challenging to shovel!I will look on the internet at properties in your areas! Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  01:57:50 AM  Show Profile
I love Kentucky and Tenn. I have visted often. You will love it, it is my dream someday to go south. I am so far north it is not funny!I wish you all the luck in the world!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

thehatlady
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Lola
Doniphan Missouri
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  4:48:42 PM  Show Profile
Hey Vermont v, and greetings from southern Missouri, I live in the county next to Oregon Co. I have several friends that live there, they have beautiful homes, but the only real big drawback is the Drug problems in the rural community. Plus the fact of 'The Good Ole Boy' mentality. There is a lot of poverty, and not a whole lot of jobs. I know this sounds like doom and gloom and I don't intend for it to be. Just be sure of any area you are thinking about. I have lived where I am for 11 years and we do have a lot of drug problems here, and at times it is scarey. I am retired and don't have youngsters to think about or to have to worry about.

The area is beautiful though, and if you come this way I would welcome you with open arms. Good luck on any decision you make. Lola

Every day, in every way, I become better and better.
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  1:51:29 PM  Show Profile

Thank you Lola. The countryside does look beautiful in your area!
I wonder if there is any rural areas in the US that have not been affected by the drug trade?We enjoy being a part of a community where ever we are. We do love the neighbors we have now!
Go to Top of Page

SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  6:05:48 PM  Show Profile
I am excited for you. I am stuck in a city which will not let me have even one chicken let alone a full garden in the front yard. Good luck in your search and take a vacation to the area and do a road trip to find property you like. I was in Harrisonburg, VA a few months ago and just rode around for hours on all the dirt/gravel roads and saw lots of beautiful property for sale. Take your GPS and just go.
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Moving South Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page