Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  1:47:15 PM  Show Profile
Interesting to know, Kris! I had read about broody chickens but your experience tells me a lot more, thank you!

www.theaprondiaries.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Egg Lady
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Debbie
Pittsburg Kansas
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  2:07:29 PM  Show Profile
I have a small flock of chickens and a cottage style chicken coop. I sell my eggs to friends. Love my chickens and my grandkids love collecting eggs!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  2:43:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi Debbie. Welcome to the forum. Have you been to the Welcome Wagon and introduced yourself there yet? I would love to see a picture of your coop. It sounds cute.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Egg Lady
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Debbie
Pittsburg Kansas
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  4:41:23 PM  Show Profile
Sorry I missed the welcome wagon. Will send pics soon.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  06:02:53 AM  Show Profile
I let the 2 mommas and 5 chicks out of the coop yesterday. I thought they might go back in toward evening. So I was up front cutting weeds and vines off the wooden fence and as I was coming back up the driveway I saw the chicks but no mommas. Stupid hens had gotten up in the cedar tree to roost and the chicks were running around looking for them. So I got them down and herded them all back in. What a fun job! But it worked and they are all back inside now. I will let them back out later this afternoon. I think I am going to just get the mommas out soon and keep the chicks penned up for awhile at least til I know what they are.

And I stuck 8 eggs under Miss Broody Hen. They are all Buff eggs and since he's the only roo right now fertilizing them I figure they will all be pure Buff. Then I will put her and the chicks out where the others are. They should hatch Nov. 5th. I always do this. I know. But I can handle 1 hen like this. The rest have stopped the broodiness for now.

I hope everyone else is having fun with their chickens. Grace, how are your chicks? I bet they have grown really big by now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  10:31:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies - The chicks are doing great and growing like weeds. I put some new pictures of them up on my blog. They are getting their tail and wing feathers and a few are working really hard to get themselves out of the tub. I will soon be moving them to the coop but I really want them to be ready.

I do baby my hens, I have fans for the warmer months, heat lamps for the colder months and I do place place a blub on a timer to keep egg production going. I am still considering my layout in the bog coop because I have one hen left and she has never shown any mothering side so I do not want her to hurt the little ones. She is so lost without her other grown hens and so I am not sure of her right now. I might just put them in at night and then sit in there with a book and watch while reading... I know - Kris is rolling her eyes - I am a worry wart with all my animals...

Welcome to the group Debbie
Have a Clucky Good Day All

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  10:54:16 AM  Show Profile
Ha Ha, Grace! No eye rolling but laughing! That is too funny. I can just see you all cozy in your jammies with a thick robe in a nice cumfy chair with a blanket and lamp and a good book with a nice cup of warm tea. Very nice picture. Did I give you any ideas? I am going to look at your babies right now. I am so glad you can post pictures so we can see them. Thanks.

My 5 babies are doing pretty good. Not growing as fast being penned up as they would being out eating grass and bugs. But very fluffy.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Sep 16 2010 10:54:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  11:26:48 AM  Show Profile
Kris I was kidding about the eye rolling!! You got everything right but the clothes - it is my heavy barn chore clothes because the temp is dropping at night. I might place a little something something in the tea thermos (wink, wink) and might even bring in something to hand sew or my drop spindle. It is what I do when I wait to babies so there is nothing new about watching chicks. Maybe even put on the headphone and listen to a book on CD while my hands are kept busy - you know me queen of the multi tasking..

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

lilangelacres
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Leslie
Newton Iowa
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  3:19:25 PM  Show Profile
Kris,

I did gently shake the eggs and there were about 4 that sounded like they had water in them. I removed those and so now she is setting on about 9 eggs. There aren't more being added each day like before and these don't make that sound when I GENTLY shake them. I am going to give her the next two weeks and see what happens. If none of them hatch then I am going to throw them away!

thanks for the information - now if she can just hatch a few:)

Leslie

Ah Farm Life - Wouldn't want to be anywhere else!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  3:46:24 PM  Show Profile
Grace, sounds like you have a good plan there! I am that way too. I am doing several things at once most of the time. Why waste time when ya can do more.

Leslie, how many does she have now? It's good you found the rotten ones. If they happen to get broken in the nest it's horrible! That's THE most nasty smell in the world. Let us know if any hatch.

I checked under the hen awhile ago and there were 2 small game hen eggs already. That's where this particular hen always lays her eggs. So I got them out. Still 8 under her. So I guess I'll have to check every day now for extra eggs. I have another crate right next to this one but they still go to the same one. They are such creatures of habit. It's hard to break them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2010 :  7:35:05 PM  Show Profile
Well after tearing the whole coop apart and cleaning every square inch I have divided the coop in half and put up a wire mess divider and placed a nice layer of shavings along with more water towers and feeder - all is ready. Now I had to cover the tub and walk them too the coop. I never realized how heavy they have become until I had to walk all that way without having them freak... Once I got them into their new digs I sat and watched to make sure all was O.K. A few minor hiccups with design layouts and feeders but worked it out. Now I am watching the only grown hen - I put her in at dusk so she would want to roost and not bother the little ones.

Yes, I will be checking thru the night - just in my nature but so far so good. My shop is cleaned up, aired out and I even got to burn some inscense to put my scent back into the shop. So all in all a busy day but well worth it... Tonight I will be sleeping without holding my breath.

Night Night sweet chicks....

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2010 :  08:04:11 AM  Show Profile
Hey Grace. How'd the babies do last night? I'm sure they were all fine and cozy in their new home.

I had to put feed and water in the crate with the broody hen and her 8 eggs. I had to shut the door to keep the other hens out and laying eggs in there with here. 8 is enough!Just 17 more days to go!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  07:18:40 AM  Show Profile
grace i bet your babies are growing already. do they love their new digs? i had one little hen sitting. she stopped so i threw her back in the coop. we have one mom with 5 and one mom with 3. enough for now. i am moving the chickens today. they are going to the back of the property. this way where i milk will be much cleaner. no chicken smell or dust. we are going to turn their room into a clean room for fresh milk. it will help keep the mess out of my house kitchen. i turned my lights on in the coop. they had already started to cut back on laying. sure hope i turned it on in time. need those winter eggs for sure. i have help coming today. they are going to help with fencing for belle across the road. we are also going to move the strawberries. so big day ahead. hope you are all well and having happy farm days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  11:21:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies - sorry for the delay, computer went down this weekend and so I am typing at the library while they get it fixed - fingers crossed....

The sweet one's are doing great!!! I still am checking on them every three hours but I am glad I did because they really needed it. It was very hot this weekend during the day and today it is to be 96... Yuck! At night it is getting cold so keeping them at the right temp has been tricky. Your right they are growing by the minute - I have pictures but no computer so I will have to take new ones because I swear that they get new feathers about every four hours.

Sherry it sounds like you have a great plan going and I will keep my fingers crossed that the lights will help. I know what yo mean the moment you need holiday eggs they decide not to give them up. Last year I was lucky and they kept going all thru the winter....

Kristin I will be counting the days down with you - how exciting. Keep us up to date....

Well, got to run - more emails to send and orders to pull. Have a clucky day.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

lindadouglas
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Linda
Murfreesboro Tennessee
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  06:36:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jewel, I love your name by the way...my grandmothers name was Jewel. I have always ordered from McMurray Hatcheries as well...only had one batch where most of them died...and they refunded my money. They do have a high bird number for shipping but I always go in with a friend or two to get my birds..so we usually buy quite a few doing it that way. I do not care much for the sexlinks...I have had red ones and black ones. My big White Plymouth Rock chicken has been the most reliable layer I have ever seen and I got her from TSC one Easter as an impulse buy for my then 4 year old. The sexlinks have always seemed less "solid" to me when I pick them up...and with my children I need really hearty birds.

It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not

Linda Douglas
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  8:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
I am sooo excited ! I have a total of 11 chickens and today my hen Ethel laid her first egg !It was funny because just this morning when I was cleaning the chicken coop I thought to myself, The girls should start laying any day..then as I was putting fresh bedding in Ethel began rooting around then she sort of squatted then made sore of a surprised sound and layed an egg !
On The down side of this, I believe I may have 4 roosters. I promised my Hubby when I got chickens that if any of them turned out to be roosters they would go to the dinner table.I have been VERY careful not to get attached or name any of the chickens till I was sure they were Hens (so far just Ethel and Lucy have names). I'm not so sure I can eat any of these guys ! I hatched them from eggs ! Heck I did everything but lay the eggs ! One friend says that she puts her processed chickens in the freezer for a while so when she cooks them she doesnt see them as "stewart" anymore.Any advise ??
Is there such a thing as a "Chicken rescue" smiles
Susan
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2010 :  06:18:36 AM  Show Profile
Susan, congrats on the very first egg!! There will be lots more after that. And with me, by the time those roos are big enough to be butchered I am so ready to do it. And I don't even think of anything else but a nice chicken dinner. They can become little pests after awhile. I have at least 2 maybe 3 that will need to be butchered in a few months. So don't think about how cute they used to be. Just think about how annoying they will be. Then it's easier. Good luck!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

JenStewart
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Jenny
Armada Michigan
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  11:37:52 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I ordered my 25 ameracauna/ araucana pullets from Mcmurrays on 8-22-10. Mine look just like yours. Mine arrived Sept 2nd. I ended up with 27 from them. My free exotic is black and white. Also tailless. I am hoping it is a roo. I just love them. I also have 59 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Jersey Giants and 24 Rhode Island reds. I am planning on letting my orpingtons go broody and my araucanas will supply the eggs at that time. I could just go on and on about the birds :)
Go to Top of Page

JenStewart
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Jenny
Armada Michigan
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  11:51:02 AM  Show Profile
Here are some pics of my birds, I need to take some more recent ones. I am curious as to what colors you got.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  11:22:42 AM  Show Profile
What pretty chickies, Jenny. I love those blue legs. I have one Auracana that lays the prettiest blue eggs. She has slowed down to about 4 or 5 a week now. Soemtimes she lays 2 a day. And I love my Buffs. I have a hen right now on 8 eggs. % more days to go! I can't wait to see the little buggars. Have fun with yours. You have alot of them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  2:36:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Linda! Thanks for the info on the sex links not being hearty. I've got kids, too, & need them to be hearty & able to withstand cold temps. Jenny, your girls are sooo cute!

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  5:02:22 PM  Show Profile
those little chickies are sooo cute. makes me think spring. i never heard sexlinks are not hardy. mine are doing great and i never have given them cold support beyond their coop. learn as i go sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  5:33:05 PM  Show Profile
We have just 3 more days to go now. I can't wait to see the little chicks. I'll have to kick the older chicks and mommas out of the coop next week. They are big enough now I guess.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  7:59:50 PM  Show Profile
oh kris i wish you could post a pic of your chicks too when they hatch. so fun. mine are about ready to go out too. o took mom away. she is bacl laying. she was a wellsummwer. let us know when you are grandma again.happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  10:04:03 AM  Show Profile
Well, there are 2 so far. There might be more but it's still early. I hope they all hatch. But today is the day. The 2 I saw were all nice and dry. And Buffs!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Chickens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page