Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2010 :  07:30:49 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Lillian! The site looks promising. There are two of the breeds that I'm interested in. I liked reading their "About Us," too. Will check back with them when they have their prices & more info listed after the fair. Thanks again!

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  8:36:11 PM  Show Profile
Chicks are here!!!! I wrote about this exciting day on my blog site - I am doing the Snoopy Dance all around today - such fun.

Will keep you all posted and will find the book titles for you that I have in my library.. Promise.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2010 :  07:18:19 AM  Show Profile
hi grace, wondering how your new babies are doing? i just love it when babies of any kind come to the farm. good for you. keep us posted on how they are. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2010 :  08:34:14 AM  Show Profile
As promised here are just a few of the books I have on my shelf -Chicks and Ducks as pets by Jack C Harris, Raising Poultry Successfully by Will Graves, Day Range Poultry by Andy Lee and Patricia Foreman, Your Chickens by Gail Damerow. I also have a subscription to Backyard Poultry and I also picked up Chickens from Hobby Farms Magazine. I also checked out all the books at the library to refresh other thoughts. I also taught poultry in 4H for 12 years. I found you can never stop learning and asking others for advise.

The chicks had a wonderful time - got a bit cold here so I moved the heat lamp closer and placed their tub on top of several heavy wool blankets to keep the cold at bay. I got up every two hours and gave them warm water, new feed and checked them to make sure no one was in distress. Even without a good night sleep there is nothing better then checking on little ones. I have posted pictures on my blog - the little buggers are so quick it is hard to get a clear close up. I will keep trying..

Have a wonderful chicken day

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2010 :  1:22:07 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the book titles. They sound adorable. What a good mama to be checking on your baby peeps Have fun!

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2010 :  1:35:30 PM  Show Profile
Congrats on the new babies--don't you just love there happy little sounds??

We can do no great things; only small things with great love - Mother Teresa

farmgirl sister #1927
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  11:51:25 AM  Show Profile
We just got 12 chickens this past spring, 6 Rhode Island Red and 6 Plymouth Rocks and we have had a great time with them! For the frame of the coop we used wooden pallets, then put outdoor plywood around it, cedar shingles as the roof, and insulation between the wood of the plallets inside and then used all scrap wood for the inside. I painted it pink and have word sayings all over it like Our Nest Egg (over the nests outside door), Chicks Rule, Girl Power, Hatch an Idea and since we don't want a rooster we put No Boys Allowed This Means You on the door and I'm about to paint a rooster below that but this week we've spent it getting ready for Hurricane Earl. Anyway, the book we have used faithfullly and love is Barnyard in your Backyard. We have lawn chairs in their pen area so they get use to us and when we don't sit in the pen area, we have rockers outside and that has become our outdoor hangout now. We built the coop stationary with 12 x 12 gardens on each side. The gardens are all fenced in and even the roof because of where we live. This year the door to one side has been open while a garden grows on the other and next year we will put the chickens in this years garden and use the side they are in now for our garden. Free fertilizer and we don't have to move the coop around! I can't remember how to put pics up on here but when I do, I'll show you it. You will LOVE having them, and not just for the eggs!

Life is Beautiful with Bunnies
www.thedewhopinn.ning.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/thedewhopinn
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  07:05:43 AM  Show Profile
hi ginny, you have a great set up fot you chickens.i like the idea of gardens on the sides so you can rotate the birds. sounds so cute and you are having a blast with them. i surely enjoy watching mine. we are going to move ours before winter. the place they are now we are making a clean room for pouring milk. so chickens are moving out back. started it already and wish it was done. making cheese today also. have a great weekend. happy days sherrrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  6:00:28 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I just read on your blog about your new chicks. I bet they will have a great home with you.

Ginny, that does sound like a good setup with the gardens. Good idea. And I hope ya'll didn't get too much from the hurricane.

I just had 2 hens hatch 3 eggs each a few weeks ago. I have them and the mommas in a stall to keep them all safe. If they are with their mommas they will be warm enough. I also have another Buff going broody. I have been dunking her rear in a bucket of water for a few days now trying to get her to stop. She is being persistant though. Hopefully this will help.

And I have been getting about 9 eggs a day now. For awhile I was only getting 3 a day. I will have my 4 dozen to sell on Tuesday!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

lilangelacres
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Leslie
Newton Iowa
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  7:00:51 PM  Show Profile
Ladies - I don't post much on here, but read lots and have a question. I have two Cayuga ducks (male and female) that hatched out 7 ducklings. We have lost 3 to predators, but I think we have a safe place for them now. I also have 2 banty hens and 1 banty rooster. The hens both had nests, but when the one hen hatched 3 chicks the other hen quit sitting on her nest and they are both "mothering" the 3 chicks together (it is really cute to watch). My question is this - I have a full size hen that is sitting on a nest of about 12 eggs, the only rooster I have is the banty rooster. Do you think the eggs will hatch? She has been sitting on them for quite awhile now and I just don't know if the banty rooster and a full size hen can have chicks. Thanks for any insight as I don't want to leave the eggs if nothing is going to happen!

Leslie

Ah Farm Life - Wouldn't want to be anywhere else!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  04:20:00 AM  Show Profile
Leslie, chicken eggs go 21 days til they hatch. How long has yours been sitting on them?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

lilangelacres
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Leslie
Newton Iowa
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  6:58:52 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I think it has been at least 21 days, but I wasn't counting at first. I read somewhere that you should start counting the days after the last egg is layed by the hen - have you heard that? I think I will leave them a little longer. I would hate to throw them out if there are babies in them. I might just be impatient since the banties and the ducks have hatched their eggs already:)

Leslie

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  07:14:20 AM  Show Profile
Leslie- Yes, you start counting from the last egg. The chick forming process will not start in the egg until the hen is constantly sitting. As far as them being fertile? You had a hen and a rooster that is all that is required to make a baby chick. You may have some chicks here real soon! Enjoy!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  07:18:27 AM  Show Profile
i am with lillian on this. i sure hope you get some babies out of the clutch. i have one sitting right now also.i enjpoy the mommy sounds they make. my cow has a mommy moo for sophie too. let us know if you get babies. mine are noy due to hatch till the 21st. i think i shall have kids here soon. betty boop the goatlooks like she is going to pop. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  8:48:03 PM  Show Profile
I have a question that I hope someone will understand. When I purchased my day old hens, McMurray gave one exotic chick (Yes, I know it will most likely a rooster) but up till now everyone has been sleeping together and loving it, now my odd chick out is sleeping away from everyone. It does seem healthy, eats and drinks very well, watched it even poop and nothing strange there. My question is at this young age does the group know this one is different?? Should I do anything about this because I worry that it sleeps alone?? I know miss worry wart..but I can not change the fact that I do worry...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  07:02:17 AM  Show Profile
Since it was McMurray you ordered form your exotic is more than likely an Aracauna and yes it probably is male. No your chicks do not know the difference at this age. He may just get warmer quicker and need to be a little futher out or just likes his space. Each chick has their own personality and it doesn't take long to grow into it. Do not seperate him as chickens are social creatures and need each other to interact with. I did get one aracauna from Mcmurray's that from day one was an eye picker and he finally was disposed of. As long as they play nice let them be and enjoy them because they grow fast!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  07:39:40 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Lillian for your assistance. I had not planned on removing the little one but just checking in to hear other thoughts. Last night as the temp dipped it went back with the group and snuggled. They seem to like it and this morning he was sitting with others near the water. I will as always keep a very close eye on everyone.

Again many thanks for your assistance.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

lilangelacres
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Leslie
Newton Iowa
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  1:30:44 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice and knowledge, ladies. I am going to give the hen another week or so before I remove the eggs she is sitting on. I know she was setting a week before we went on vacation and we have been back a week. That would be at the 21 day mark, but it appears that there are more eggs than there were before. Don't know if other hens are laying in the next also or if she is still laying. How many eggs do they lay before they start setting on them consistently? She probably has 12-15 that she is trying to set. The duck hatched out 7 babies, but unfortunately something got four of them. The other three are so cute swimming in the pond with mom & dad! I have two banty hens that were both setting on nests. When the first hen hatched 3 chicks the other hen stopped setting on her nest and the two hens have been co-parenting the three chicks for 3 weeks now. They are such a cute family - one hen is sweet and motherly and the other is the "protector". Hopefully the big hen will hatch a few babies as I do love having the little ones!

Leslie

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  1:45:01 PM  Show Profile
Leslie, you might want to pick a few up and gently, very gently, shake them. If it feels like there's water in them, throw them as far away as you can. If they are solid then there should be a chick inside. I have done this after a few have hatched and the mother wants to keep sitting on the unhatched eggs. She will sit on rotten eggs forever. So just get rid of them. I hope she hatches some for you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  9:09:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,
I have 2 hens that I keep for fresh eggs in my backyard coop. Its my way of feeling more "farmgirlish" here in the suburbs. Especially in the dead of winter, when everymoring I have to go out and defrost their water from freezing! LOL I started with 3 babies which I got when they were about 10 weeks old- and of course it turns out one was a Rooster, and he got very nasty towards me (probably b/c he was only with 2 hens and was very protective) So... off he went to the "real" farm where I got him from!
I have learned alot not only from books but also a great website www.keepingchickens.com. If you sign up via your email you will get a monthly newsletter from Gina, and I have found it to be enjoyable and informative reading.
Good Luck Y'all!
Smiles,
Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..

Edited by - laurentany on Sep 12 2010 9:10:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  03:57:55 AM  Show Profile
What have you ladies found to be the best egg layers? And what ones have you found that lay well through a cold winter?

I've been looking at getting some new ones for the farm since I'm pretty sure we've got several that are past their egg laying now and it'd be good to switch them out. We sell our eggs at a local market and to a raw milk dairy that sells them to their customers and with the recent egg recall we just can't keep them to have any to sell from home the few people we've had stop by to buy them in the past months. Thank you for all the great information and tips you've posted!

www.theaprondiaries.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  06:50:01 AM  Show Profile
howdy elizabeth there are so many breeds to pick from. i kike sexlinks. easy keepers, light on food, less noisy, reliable egg laying all year as long as they have extra hours of light. just my thought happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  07:23:46 AM  Show Profile
I am very happy with my Buff Orpington hens. They are 1 1/2 now. But last winter they laid eggs all the way through all the cold and freezing temps and snow. Although I am having a hard time with broodiness. I have had so many of them want to be mothers. I let 5 of them this spring hatch some. But the past month I have had about 5 go broody. They are good broody hens too. Anyway, I just love them. They are laid back birds. Not crazy like some I've had. My game hens are really crazy but good egg layers too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  08:25:14 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestions, ladies!

Kris, did you give them extra light so they would produce better in the winter or did they do that naturally? And what kind of issues are you having with them being broody? We have never hatched our own chicks so I don't know much about how chickens behave differently for that.

www.theaprondiaries.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  1:01:38 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, I never added a light. They are free range and roost in the trees and on the fence. So it wouldn't help me to do that. But they did great all winter and it was COLD here. Normally I would not mind some hens going broody. BUT when they do it messes up the other hens that are laying. They will not get off the nest that is usually a favorite nest of the others. So that means they have to find somewhere else to lay. I have nests all over the place. Also I seem to get way more roosters than hens. And with them free ranging, it's hard to catch them. I don't want anymore roos. I want hens. And I sell every egg these girls lay as soon as the lay them. SO I need more eggs. Not chicks.

Hens that are broody will not leave the nest for hardly anything. They will die on the nest. I have had some sitting on clutches of eggs on the other side of the fence in the hay field. I have lost a few because they will not budge off the nest and the hay tractor runs right over them. All that's left is a pile of feathers. They also lose alot of weight because they don't eat for over 3 weeks. I have to feed them and bring them water while they sit. So more work for me. Also they are generally VERY mean when broody. I have alot of scars to show for it. They can really hurt! And for all that time and effort, about half of them don't survive for some reason or other. And with the weather getting cooler, I will wait til next spring for more chicks. I am dunking the 2 broody hens in cold water right now trying to break them. It works!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Chickens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page