True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2005 :  5:16:24 PM  Show Profile
Marlyn,
My stepmother is the same way. To this day they have a fireproof safe at home with extra cash, checks, and even stock certificates! 5 yrs ago before they moved to Florida she was going through important papers and someof the money in the safe was from their "lean" years. She put checks and money in books and various places, just in case.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2005 :  07:19:55 AM  Show Profile
I should be called Duchess of Glad Trash Sacks

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2005 :  12:37:06 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark, that is hilarious!

So now we have Queen Rubbermaid, Duchess of Glad Trash Sacks, and Princess Tidy Tilly (I had to have a title too!)

Does that make us members of The Divine Heave-Ho Sisterhood? No puns now about the Ho part! :)
jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2005 :  1:03:19 PM  Show Profile
Garbage is a real thought process here. I am a real save it because it will be useful later person, that has been to the school where they teach us to learn to get rid of stuff. So I have stuff that I have a hard time parting with in labeled boxes all neet and tidy until a couple of times a year usually I go through it and decide I can live without it. These items then have to be put into a catagory of 1. Garage sale or 2. thrift donation. Since we have no trash pick up here in the boon docks we have to be careful what we do with the things that are really trash. So I think my nickname would be "Queen of the recycling station." I have paper bags that i use to sort the paper trash into 1 burnable or 2 to be used as worm bedding in my worm boxes. I have large boxes where I sort out the glass into color groups for the recycling station and other boxes for the tin cans and aluminum containers that we can recycle. I also have boxes for the recyclable plastics that come through our doors. I have compost bins for either the worm box or the chickens or the compost pile depending on what it is. So we only have to go to the dump about once every 2 months and get rid of the recycling and disposable trash.We usually only have one trash can of refuse. Everything else gets recycled or reused.
Little by little I am finding I am able to let go of those things I never use but am keeping because it was either my mothers or has some sentimental value. I think I am going to try to sell some of my things on e-bay but still have not set it up. Example: I inherited about 250 collectible decorator art plates, still in their shipping cartons and stored under the stairs of my home. I looked at the auction floors of the bradford exchange and other places and found that they bring only a fraction of their cost unless they are in high demand or are very old. Dilema, do I keep them for 30 years or just sell them at a loss? I have no use for most of them ,they can not be used to serve food because the paints and glazes used on them are toxic so what use are they? They take up a lot of space. HMMM Any ideas?
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2005 :  4:26:39 PM  Show Profile
Eileen - The most valuable way to sell your plates would probably be as an entire collection rather than individually....unless you have a lot of plates that are in individual high demand. Ebay is probably your best bet, and if the collection does not sell as a whole, you can put them on one at a time and see how many bids you get. It sounds like a terrific way to break into the Ebay market.

Entire collections sell best through newspapers ads, antique malls, or through specific websites that draw plate collectors. But you do have something of value there, with 250 plates, and I would strive to make a profit from them. The fact that they still have their original packing boxes is also a plus.

Good luck!
jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2005 :  5:28:02 PM  Show Profile
The problem with the Plates is that I have no complete collections. Dad died before he had collected any complete collections and when the plates were divided up between my husband and his sister the few that were part of sets were divided up too. Who knew? None of us was into collections of this sort. as a matter of fact we were all surprised at the collection Dad had accumulated after Mom passed away!!! I think he was sort of compensating for some slight he had done his wife while she was alive. None of us knew he was collecting plates. It is really wierd what people do! Anyway I think the one at a time idea may work out to my benefit. I have tried the local antique malls and they are not interrested in these plates as the bradford and others have made so many of the plates available that they are too hard to sell. So much for limited editions huh?
Thanks for the encouragement!
Eileen

Edited by - Eileen on Jan 26 2005 5:30:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

marlyn
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

marlyn
Norwood Ontario
Canada
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2005 :  06:51:35 AM  Show Profile
Eileen- good for you with your organization. We must come up with a title for you too!

Where I live we get garbage pick-up ( finally !) but only once every two weeks. Recycling is very big up here in Canada and everything HAS to be sorted or they don't collect. Cardboard in once a month. It seems like we are collecting all the time here as it isn't picked up everyweek. But on the whole the system works well.

This past week was garbage week and I met the truck as I brought my sleigh down the laneway hulling the garbage and re-cycling ( we are a long way off the road)and here it was University students doing the pick-up. They were part of a study as to how much garbage come out of each household and re-cycling. They weighed my garbage and took a good look through my re-cycling. I asked why this was in process. The answer was that last summer the near by city was hit hard by a flood. Because so much stuff was brought to the dump after the food the dump is now two year ahead of predicted usage and in two more years a new dump is going to have to be built. They want to know how much garbage comes out of the county as well as the city to deside what they should do.

It is amazing at how much garbage we throw out every week and not think about where it goes. Out of sight out of mind.

My message for everyone today is to reuse things, buy reusable things, buy bulk and watch the type of container things come in.

Simply Marlyn
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2005 :  09:02:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi all-- We've had an interesting situation that ties into this one.
We just had a trash strike that lasted over two weeks, and there were
some creative if not downright odd solutions to the problem. Since we recycle all that we can, our actual refuse is relatively small for our household. I just tried to be conscious of what we were throwing away and what could be recycled and the amounts reduced even further.
Unfortunately we compost in a minor way due to residential zoning laws.One of my neighbors said she was putting her food refuse in the food processor and freezing it in zip lock bags until she could throw it away! Yuck! I just choose to use what perishable things I had on a daily basis and we ended up with very little. We no longer have the ability to burn anything due to clean air codes so our disposal methods have to be resourceful all the time. I will never take the rumble of the trash truck for granted again! (And on a positive side... the union kept their healthcare benefits!)

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

celticlady
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Dar
Davenport WA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2005 :  11:35:45 AM  Show Profile
I think my title would have to be the "Cardboard Contessa". As of right now I have so much cardboard in the large shed out back, there's barely any room for the wood pile! I've been saving cardboard, milk cartons, cans, newspaper and various other things to take to the recycling center "later". I too live out in the boonies and have to haul my own trash and recycling. I've decided that when the weather gets better and the roads aren't "slick as snot on a doorknob" anymore, I'll rent a u-haul for a day and take it all in at once. This is what procrastination leads to ladies! LOL!
Dar

"live each day as if it were your last".
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2005 :  3:25:53 PM  Show Profile
A few years ago a recycling program was started in this area (town). After a couple of years it was discontinued for some political/financial reasons for about a year. Last year it was restarted; I found that just by changing a number of purchases, it is possible to significantly cut down of the amount of trash & garbage we put out (yes - there is a difference between "trash" and "garbage"). For instance - if metal is not recycled in your area it goes out with the garbage and eventually will find its' way to a landfill. If you make your own soups, use dry beans instead of cans, use frozen instead of cannned vegetables you will not have much in the way of "bulk" garbage. This of course takes a lot of planning (i.e. meals - you may need more prep time); you will find that though you are putting plastic in the garbage (bags) there is a lot less of it than if you used canned goods. Same goes for beverages (we buy few if any soda in this house); we are recycling now but I have tried to keep up with using "less" prepared purchased foods and am doing/making/preparing more.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2005 :  05:38:53 AM  Show Profile
Bayoubunch - What city or beach is your destination?
I have a Volvo and am absolutely amazed that I can pack as much in it as my husband can in his SUV. Creative packing - that is another complete subject we could all discuss! Have fun, Bayoubunch and if you have time before you go, tell us about your plans, and the projects you are taking along.
jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

celticlady
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Dar
Davenport WA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2005 :  11:51:42 AM  Show Profile
Yippee, yippee, hooray!!

I'm finally done "decluttering" my house. It is so great to be able to find things again! Even my paper tiger has been tamed.
it's amazing how much peace a neat home can create.

Now the trick is to keep it this way, I don't think that will be a problem though, we all like the way it is now so much, that everyone is trying to put things back where they belong and keep up with the regular chores.

Now I can start on my other, more important projects. Woopee! -Dar

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2005 :  7:21:16 PM  Show Profile
Wow- a project finished and ready to enjoy! Congratulations! Not many can say those words "I am finally done decluttering my house."!
jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2005 :  08:02:53 AM  Show Profile
Can I adopt you for a few weeks Dar? I will back up the old farm truck to the front door of my house and we will get busy and purge... There is hope yet... Jenny

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

celticlady
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Dar
Davenport WA
38 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2005 :  10:09:08 AM  Show Profile
That's almost what I had to do Jenny! I believe I threw away or donated close to 300 pounds of stuff I just plain didn't need!

If it's too overwhelming to look at the big picture, just tackle one small space at a time. Set a timer for 15 minutes and sort as fast as you can. Do that 2 or 3 times a day and your house will slowly become a haven again. Good luck! Dar

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2005 :  1:35:51 PM  Show Profile
Wow-the timer idea is one I have never had! Good thinking!

I have made it a policy to try to throw several things away, recycle, take to Goodwill or consignment on a weekly basis. If I get rid of three or four things a week, it means a steady decluttering is taking place. As I have "matured", I have stopped gathering knick knacks and "things" that do not have a purpose. Now, however, knick knacks seem to be flowing in from parents who are cleaning out, and how can I say no to "family" stuff? There is no winning! :)

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2005 :  4:30:54 PM  Show Profile
Good ideas all. Here's what I have been doing. Tuesday is our trash day, so I spend at least part of Monday cleaning up for that chore. Lately I have begun making it a day for "decluttering" also. I simply pick one room, closet, shelf, etc. and see what is there that I truly don't need (want is something else entirely). I have hankies from when I was a little girl, that I don't need, but I have plans to put them in a shadow box with photos/items from that time. They stay. I don't need (or want) little baskets!!! Or knicknacks or souvenirs from anywhere to tell anyone where I've been?? Lately when we go on vacation, we try to buy some food item, wine, etc. specific to that city, state, etc. That way we have a "souvenir" which doesn't clutter, and we support the local industry/farm, etc. where we visited. I have thrown some things out, used some for starting the woodstove, given away some to friends or Goodwill, and re-gifted some things! I no longer take anything from anyone, even family, unless I can use it myself or know someone who can.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

simpledreamer
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Marybeth
Louisiana
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2005 :  07:37:03 AM  Show Profile
This week, I've been doing my spring cleaning in a box method. It's what I do when I get so totally overwhelmed by all the stuff I have and all the stuff I have to do. I just clear any space that has too much clutter on it....by completely removing everything from the surface. Put everything in a box with a lid and put it away. Once the surface is clear, I clean it really good. I know where the box is and sometimes, I know what's in it and as I need something out of it, I can pull it out...use it and find a proper place for it. I do this for drawers, cabinets, closets...right now, I've got a lot of boxes! I've got to get that junk out of my house!

Marybeth

Edited by - simpledreamer on Mar 03 2005 07:37:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2005 :  09:40:36 AM  Show Profile
I started spring cleaning yesterday too. I will be having a garage sale sometime in the next month. I think by the look of it I might get rich just selling stuff for pennies on the dollar. After the sale anything left will either go on e-bay or to the thrift store., oh happy happy spring. Where does all this stuff come from any way?
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2005 :  10:22:48 AM  Show Profile
Eileen - what is the name of your ebay store? Or the name you use to sell items? I want to see it!
jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2005 :  2:29:15 PM  Show Profile
We are just in the process of setting it up but it will likely be under the name of my husbands which is VW Extrordinare.
eileen

Go to Top of Page

free bird
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Laura
Victoria Texas
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2005 :  2:49:34 PM  Show Profile
Simpledreamer--I think your box method is great. I'm going to tackle that when my garden is under control (wonder when that will be). It is a very simple efficient method.

I did something similar a couple months ago, using garbage bags after I ran out of boxes, and got a couple of areas in my little building looking really spiffy. Only thing is, I left the bags of clutter sitting outside...I did mean to get to them the next day and go through them, but got started doing something else...anyway, they got a little rain on them, ooops. But the idea does really work! Next time I'll use just big boxes, they look a lot better, also if you can't get to them soon, you can use them right now for tables for seed-starting trays!

I love my chickens
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2005 :  5:57:55 PM  Show Profile
Eileen - thank you for responding!
jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2005 :  07:32:50 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have any creative ideas for storing books and magazines? My bookshelves are full and overflowing. I collect certain issues of magazines for reference and I am overwhelmed! I have used baskets but there are only so many baskets one can have sitting around and they tend to get cluttered and messy looking. I want to be able to have easy access for reading. My desk and book shelves are located in our living room where the rest of my family have to co-exist with my "stuff". I find comfort in having my books and mags near me.

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2005 :  09:18:06 AM  Show Profile
Jenny-- What about periodical files? You can put a whole years worth in one and they stand on your bookshelf like a large book?I lucked out at the Thrift and got some wicker ones to store my Victoria magazine collection and used metal plant tags to mark them.They come in all shapes and covers but you could buy plain and cover them to suit.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Clearing Clutter...... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page