RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2004 :  8:05:53 PM  Show Profile
Can anyone recommend any good organic shampoos, conditioners, and styling products? I want to stop putting the store-bought junk in my hair but cannot find an alternative. Any help would be appreciated!

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2004 :  6:02:15 PM  Show Profile
Check out the shampoos/hair products in the Lehman Hardware catalog (www.Lehman.com); they carry a solid bar shampoo. You can also try products found in most health food store. You could try using a castile soap liquid, but you will probably find you have a soap buildup, unless you rinse with a vinegar rinse (1 tbsp. white vinegar in a quart of water). Most shampoos are a bit alkaline, and are really a detergent not a soap. Good luck.

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2004 :  2:49:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls!

Since my organic conversion at MaryJanesFarm (http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/About/farmlife/healthy-eater/), I've been trying all the organic shampoos at our local food co-op. I used to be a bargain shampoo buyer - mostly on-sale shampoos or cheaper brands. I did have a list of animal-friendly companies, and stuck with those. But considering that I rarely spend money on any kind of hair treatment (including cuts or color), I decided that for less than $15 a month (shampoo and conditioner), I was going to splurge on the wonderful organic shampoos I found there. There are some really fabulous organic brands, and I've enjoyed almost every one I've tried. My current favorite is Nature's Gate Organics (http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/naturesgate/home.d2w/report). Their line includes these yummy-smelling blends:
Lavender & Aloe (nourishes and moisturizes)
Lemongrass & Clary Sage (Volumizing)
Tea Tree & Blue Cypress (dandruff and dry scalp treatment)

They give me the daily satisfaction and sense of pampering myself that the co-op handmade soaps do. We're lucky here in Moscow that our co-op carries a really nice selection of those too, as well as the shampoos and conditioners.

Life is sweet at the farm!
Carol

she laughed and laughed ...
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2004 :  05:24:30 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
When my website is back up first of February 2005, there will be bar shampoo on it. I have used bar shampoo for many moons now. Of course you could make your own if you know how to make soap, you can make shampoo. The key to good rinsing and shiny clean hair is in the oils you choose to make your shampoo.

There is great satisfaction in making things ourselves. And always remember it is no small thing to buy products from a work at home mom.

Blessings & Bliss!.· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:-~Susan~
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Wife, Mother, Natural Woman, Savonnière, Writer, Baker, Gardener.
Soulmate to Jerry for 30 years
Mom to Zach, Gesikah, Nathan, Hannah, Rachel and Benjamin
Yetta to Sam

If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you need to seriously re-examine your life.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Organic hair care products Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page