Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2005 :  8:40:44 PM  Show Profile
Me too ! Freshens up the drains also!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2005 :  08:59:50 AM  Show Profile
Taylor,
I think Carols advise to you about your mail dilema is good. After you get through the first bunch it will be easier going. I would simply throw out anything that is a flyer, advertisement or catalogue in the first go through. You do not need to read everything that comes through your mail box. This is a hard one but very time saving in the long run and often money saving. Out of sight out of mind!!
Set aside any magazines you truely wish to read and make a special pile of the ones you know you will never have time to read and donate them to your doctors office or a thrift store.
Then set aside in a special place for easy access all those bills. I know they are frightening at times but must be dealt with. Then separate all the medical from the credit card or other regular bills. Match all the medical bills with their corresponding insurance statements. You now should have manageable piles. Do this daily and the big green fear monster will be shrunk down to size and eventually eradicated.If you feel you must read a flyer, do it now while you are sorting, clip any coupons you will use and throw it away immediately after.
This method has really worked to help me.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2005 :  3:56:54 PM  Show Profile
Here's a good (safe) way to clean your sinks: boil some water (or near to boiling) - use rubber gloves in case it splashes. Put about a cup of baking soda in your sink (close to or in the drain). Measure out about a cup of vinegar (cheapest one available). Pour the vinegar and water into the sink, over the baking soda, at the same time. It will foam up (won't splash), and smells of strong vinegar. Really cleans out the traps & drains, safely. You may end up with a coating of baking soda in the sink, just rinse it out with cool water.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

celticlady
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Dar
Davenport WA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2005 :  11:20:33 AM  Show Profile
That's a great idea Cecelia! I remember my Mom doing that when I was a kid.

If you have a septic tank though, you want to eliminate the vinegar. Vinegar is such a great anti-bacterial, it will kill all that good bacteria that eats up all the "stuff" in the septic tank. It is even worse than bleach! So you don't want to do that!
I've heard that you can buy a bunch of yeast and flush it down the toilet to increase the bacteria that does it's job in the septic system. I just use a box of Ridex every month or two.
Dar

"live each day as if it were your last".
Go to Top of Page

taylor
honeybee

40 Posts

40 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2005 :  2:01:31 PM  Show Profile
Eileen thanks for the advise about the mail... I will begin turning my new leaf. Never thought of stapling the med bill to the insurance statement, how very virgo of you!

Taylor
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  08:45:00 AM  Show Profile
Taylor, Believe me it has not been an easy thing for me to learn. I am a capricorn, aquarious cusp. Nuff said!!
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  09:22:25 AM  Show Profile
I am an Aries and I want to toss it all in the fire!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

taylor
honeybee

40 Posts

40 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  10:56:52 AM  Show Profile
Believe it or not I am the virgo. But there is something in the virgo that though they want cleanliness and perfectness sooo badly they can't deal with repetative tasks... Like the bed that must be made EVERYDAY! At least that's what I've heard but maybe it's the Leo in me since I'm right on the cusp — Aug 24th.

-T
Go to Top of Page

taylor
honeybee

40 Posts

40 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  10:58:18 AM  Show Profile
Oh, by the way I dove right in to my mail this morning and paid some bills that had been lurking around for awhile now. God, that feels great — huge weight lifted from my shoulders.

-T
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  11:25:11 AM  Show Profile
I am a Cancer married to a Virgo. That makes for an organized pair. I can actually see my husband's delight as he goes through drawers organizing and throwing out. And I see his frustration when he cannot find something that should be at his fingertips. And I love the detail work and repetitive activities that provide me a sense of security. :)

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  12:06:33 PM  Show Profile
I have a very virgo first born son. Disorder is a disaster too him!
I will never forget watching him as a child with a baseball card collection,the hours he spent catagorizing and logging these treasures of his. He was in heaven. I would go nuts in this kind of structure for very long.We all have our strengths. We need eachother for balance.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2005 :  6:20:37 PM  Show Profile
I am a Libra, so everything has to be "in balance" or I go nuts! Structure and organization are second nature to me, but every once in a while I let things go. Right now I have about a day's work of organizing and clearing clutter, leftover from the holidays and the 3 birthdays before and 3 birthdays after the holidays. I let certain things go, daily stuff is never left for more than 2 days. It's just natural to me. Hubby and son are Capricorns and the messier the better for them! Makes life interesting to say the least.

Cecelia

ce's farm

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2005 :  07:06:34 AM  Show Profile
I'm a Scorpio living with an Aries. I only WISH he had the desire to toss it all out. I had to go through all of his mail piled up on the kitchen counter and weed out the junk so I could see the counter. I open, rip, discard/file my mail as soon as I walk in the door.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2005 :  08:12:23 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kim! Glad you're piping in! I can relate to what you said about your Aries guy... My Dh is a Leo and puts mail and bills in his own little piles in his office on the floor, shelves, desk and it drives me nuts! And he can never seem to find anything when we pay the bills. I am always the one that gets the mail and I have already sorted what gets trashed and kept before I hit the door. And boy does he get volital when he feels something has been "missplaced in his little piles". I am always the one to file what needs to be filed and can find everything. Take Care! Jenny

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2005 :  06:57:30 AM  Show Profile
OMG! Norm is the same way. Heaven forbid if I "move" a pile, then he can nevr find "important piece of paper". I try to keep everyhitng filed but I just can't keep up with him!!

Most frustrating though is he'll decide to go to the bank for something (most recently a re-fi) and need all this paperwork the next day. So we then scramble around, because it never got put back from the last time he needed it! UGH!

He has made a more conscious effort this past week. We had company and it just needed to get cleaned up.

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2005 :  6:28:14 PM  Show Profile
It's all relative: what's messy to me is piles and piles of "organized clutter" all over the place, floors, tables, chairs. DH and son think because the stuff is in piles, it's neat and organized!

Cecelia

ce's farm

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2005 :  06:40:05 AM  Show Profile
Lorij & all
It funny, because Norm is an engineer. He's very detail oriented and he was also in the Navy. Maybe that's why he lets things go at home! I'm a packrat, but I try and keep things in their place.

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2005 :  06:43:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi all - More clutter comments!

I grew up in a tiny little house. My mom kept everything put away because we had to use all the space we could get free for just moving around and living! She always said drawers and closets were not for stuffing with things you do not need to see, but for keeping the things you do need in their right place. I still do this to this day. It became habit that closet floors were for my shoes, not the living room floor. Desk drawers were for papers, not cabinet tops. Sounds so prim, but it really helps if space is at a premium.

Old habits stick with us! Now I see my daughter doing the same in her little house. And she was always, shall we say, a little messy in her room at home!

jpbluesky :)

Go to Top of Page

marlyn
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

marlyn
Norwood Ontario
Canada
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2005 :  07:49:03 AM  Show Profile
Good morning

Rubbermaid Queen of the Kawartha's here. I must have 50 large Rubbermaid containers in the grainery of the barn all computer labled. I have clothes, skates, ski boots, kids schoolwork, crafts etc. I am not a rat pack but the other six living here are!

Married to a hubby with no less then 9 boxes of comic books. So valuable we have to keep til.......... when? I say sell them now and lets take a holiday!

I must drop a bag full of clothes and just stuff a week in the charity boxes in town. Where does this stuff all come from??

But you ladies have just figured out something about me I never thought of before. I am an engineer... and German to boot. I am a organize freak!!!

Happy cleaning ladies.

Marlyn

There is no greatness where there is no simplicity, goodness and truth.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2005 :  11:54:39 AM  Show Profile
Marlyn, Rubber Maid Queen - here is to all the OF's out there. Organizing Freaks unite!

My nickname has been Tidy Tilly in the past, and now there is a business here in town that makes money out of what I have been doing for my whole life!

Last night, I watched for the first time the Ya-Ya Sisterhood movie. It was pretty funny. And I can see us having a sisterhood of tidiness. It could be called "The Order (how perfect) of the No Clutter Club". I crown you Rubber Maid Queen. :)
jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2005 :  12:40:19 PM  Show Profile
My oh My ohMy,
I had the BEST time ever yesterday!!! Remember back on the 8th I told you all about the naked lady party! Well I did get to go. I am still not driving and the party was over on the island a ferry ride away and a 40 minute drive to the ferry and a 25 minute drive from ferry to Bonnies home. She told me it was ok if my hubby brought me because the party would be in her studio and he could go into her house and watch the game or a movie or read or whatever just so I could come.
I have never felt so loved or nurtured. There were 20 ladies, most of whom I was not aquainted but all very definately sisters!!! I took three outfits to share that I can no longer wear or were never the right color or shape for my figure but were either too expensive to just throw at the thrift store or had some sentimental value.
The other ladies brought lots more stuff and the room was as fun as going into a really posh boutique. Things were organised by type and hung up on the poles of bonnies easy up canopies that she uses for the farmers market shows. Scarves and belts were displayed on a tree type display piece she uses for the market and jewelry was on a little table. Sweaters and jeans were on another table and shoes and handbags on shelves. All this was inside her barn turned work studio. We had a lovely fire in the wood stove. Lots of lights and several full length mirrors provided by some of the other ladies. We had a lovely potluck salad luncheon and then we went shopping in our underwear. Trying on things as fast as we could and asking for advise from eachother and for fashion tips. We all came home with a big pile of wonderful new clothes that fit well and were fun. I tried on things I would never even have considered in a real store and we all had a lot of laughs at how something can look so funny on one person and so absolutely fabulous on another. My friend said she is going to do this every January from now on. I learned I can wear colors I would never even pick out and that these colors make my eyes sparkle or show up the really green in them. Some styles I thought would make me look like a blimp really were flattering and not yukky at all and I learned I can use a scarf. This was the best fun EVER!!!
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

marlyn
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

marlyn
Norwood Ontario
Canada
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2005 :  1:37:24 PM  Show Profile
pjbluesky I am honoured. As Rubbermaid Queen I thank-you.
And I too loved the YaYa Sisterhood movie. I watched it about a year ago when my hubby and sons went on a camping trip. Just us girls and cows here. I thought it was a blast. that's when I started scrapbooking. I loved the book in that movie.

Okay you now see I do collect things. But in an organized manner!

My mother was a child in the war living in Holland. They had nothing but the 11 of the 17 family members when the war ended. My mother keeps everything. I find bills in her dresser dating 1970's. Everything is precious and I don't harp at her because I know the past has damaged her in her way of thinking.

As for me. If I don't use it or wear it in 6 months out it goes. Regrets. Sometimes, but not worth worring about. After all when we die we can't take it with us.

Eileen I am so glad you had a good time at your swap. A lesson to us all. I think I would love to do that with my friends too.

Marlyn

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2005 :  2:37:25 PM  Show Profile
Eileen - your party sounds like a wonderful memory for you! What fun! Reading your account of it made me feel like I had been there! Oh, to have been a fly on the wall!

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2005 :  3:49:11 PM  Show Profile
Marlyn, Your mother must have many memories and stories to tell...She must have endured so much...how touched I was reading what you wrote about her; that even old bills held a value to her. She must be a very strong and resiliant person. I have read many books on those that survived that war( I am assuming WW2) and they all seemed to have that certain "strong spirit" as a result. Thank you for sharing that with us.

Eileen, You got me hooked when you wrote riding a ferry to an island for your FUN ladies gathering! I could even envision sunlight streaming into that barn lighting up all the lovely ladies faces! Love your writing! What a great way to spend a Sunday in the middle of winter and finding some chic new outfits!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Clearing Clutter...... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page