Page: of 18

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  4:46:55 PM  Show Profile
Walked 2 hrs today with my gal from church. We meet once a week.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  5:34:14 PM  Show Profile
Ya'll, I am so depressed right now. Can you feel it? I am about to cry. I went by to see my friend who is a very fit person and she teaches all kinds of aerobics classes at the Y. I asked her about my left leg and she said that's shin splints. She showed me what I should do before walking. So I did. And I had my "new" shoes on. They were snug but felt good. So drove down to the farm with Bubba. Got out and did the warmups and started walking. We got about 10 minutes in and I could feel blisters and my left shin was hurting bad. So we turned around. I had to take the shoes off. I also have a splinter in my right foot that I cannot get out so that hurts too. So I am very upset. I will have to get a size 15 shoe now and wear 5 pairs of socks. And walk on grass. Darn! Plus there was a weird animal noise up in the woods that scared me. And it was a little darker than normal because of clouds. Anyway, just a little bummed right now. What am I going to do?

Starletta, I just might have to go barefooted. Abby and I went and found her a cute little off white dress for just $25.00! It is SO cute. Yes, this is very short notice. I told her she needs to make a list of things she needs to do. Jason doesn't understand all the fuss. He says this should be stress free. Why all the bother? Men! He won't have to do anything and both of us are all crazy already. I don't know why they want to do it Sept. 3rd. Well, she did say it's beacuse they'll always have a long weekend. Well, that's silly. So if anyone has any suggestions, I'll listen to them all.

Jewel, you're so sweet. Thank you. SO what did ya'll do afterwards? They want to have a reception. But we have to find a place to have it. Then what to do about food? It will be dinnertime by then. Don't you just love walking when the weather's so nice? It just makes it so much funner and easier to do. You better be careful with that dizziness. What brings that on?

And Lisa! 2 hours! It does make a difference to have someone to walk with. Good for you! I bet ya'll solved all the world's problems, didn't you?

So now I am going to feel sorry for myself and google shin splints. I'll probaly get more depressed.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  6:23:18 PM  Show Profile
Kris, You are a beautiful lady! I mean that from the bottom of my heart. You don't look like you say you look!!!
Shin splints are not a good thing, but the proper shoes can help alot. But you might need to slow down on the amount of time you walk. Then build up as your legs get stronger.
Kohl's normally has some pretty good walking shoes at a decent price. I take a much larger size in a walking shoe than a regular shoe - don't know why, just do.
Big hugs to you!
Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  6:51:25 PM  Show Profile
I dusted off the reeboks today too felt good to have a real shoe on and not Flip flops but I do buy the flops with the arch support to help my Plantar faciatics(sp) Shin splints are awful good luck.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  7:34:26 PM  Show Profile
Ruth, you are so nice to say that. I do sometimes not like the way I look. But I guess everyone goes through this. I am very self conscious. I know I should not be but am. That's why I don't like to have my picture taken at all. Anyway, that's just me. It's bad, I know. One day I'll get over it. I got your nice "farmgirl" mail today. I love it. You are so sweet. I will try the drink tomorrow. But I will have to use goat milk! And I am already using the stickers. Thank you. I never even thought about doing that. You are just so thoughtful. And I love the card too. Perfect. I hope you had a good water workout with your friend. Thank you so much for thinking of me. I hope your dogs are a lot better tonight. Hugs back!

I will try to get some better shoes. I know that will help so much. I wish now I had not worn these other shoes. Or that I had not ran that first time. That was not very smart at all. I should have known better. I need to start small. I will not give up now. I have to keep going. Even if I have to go slow for awhile.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  8:12:27 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I battled with shin splints while I was in the Coast Guard.. it nearly failed me in the P.E. trials.... I am always susceptible to them.. bleh. So sorry that you are having to deal with them.. praying for quick healing!

(((HUGS)))

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  9:09:26 PM  Show Profile
Shin splits? that's a bummer :-( I wonder if you could go swimming or biking until your shins heal. I wonder if insole supports would help. Eek, a noise in the woods... I wonder what it was? We had a bat right next to our front door the other day. He was there in the daytime, which is strange. He was *kind of* cute (lol). My husband called him Pitt (as in Bat Pitt, Brad Pitt) hee hee. Wouldn't like to be walking with the strange noises either. I didn't walk tonight :-( Hopefully, will get my bum in gear tomorrow morning. (((hugs)))

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  05:43:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kris,
You have to remember your password and then you go back and enter in your milestones...it keeps a record for you....it's designed so you can add it to your blog or fb or whatever, although, I wasn't ready to post mine on such public places...so I'm just going to keep track and maybe keep it in my journal...cut and paste it in...
It's just something fun to track your progress...simple joys!
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  05:58:53 AM  Show Profile
remember to save your ticker to your favorites or something...then just click there and it will take you right back to your personal one...
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  06:47:46 AM  Show Profile
I think I will go up the road to Cedar lane. It is a very flat straight one lane road. I have some friends that live on that road. I can go slowly. I won't take Bubba thia time so I can see about the dog population there. He is now good around other dogs. And I would hate for him to get in a fight. I am going to see if my other daughter Heather will trade these shoes for some I had given her a few months ago. I can wear socks with those.

Jewel, I have no idea what that noise was. But where I was walking is also a wild animal refuge area. It could have been a cougar for all I know. There have been a few black bear sightings out there through the years. I love wild animals but not chasing me! I will walk the other way next time and earlier in the day too. I love it out there. And I like bats. That's neat that ya'll have bats. They are freaky looking but such good animals to have around.

Monica, I will go back and try the ticker thing again. Thanks.

It is very cloudy today. It's already been sprinkling. I won't let the turkeys out til later. I don't want them to get wet. And they are not very bright creatures! But on the weather it looks like it's raining all over the US today. We have rain in the forecast til next week here. And in the low 90's. Just 88 today and Friday. Nice! But the heat index is a bit higher. So still muggy out there.

What's the weather like where ya'll are?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Aug 19 2010 06:50:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  07:12:30 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kris! RICE is in order for your shin splints - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation for a couple of days and then make sure you stretch before you walk. You should be back at it in no time at all but must have shoes that fit. When I was a runner (a lifetime ago) I had all kinds of trouble with shin splints and finally went to a "running shoe" store where the watched how my foot hit the ground and then recommended the right shoes--it made all the difference in the world and allowed me to run many, many miles on those shoes.

We can do no great things; only small things with great love - Mother Teresa

farmgirl sister #1927
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  4:46:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kris, So glad you enjoyed your little package of sunshine! Hope you enjoy the smoothies. They are my breakfast or lunch most days. Today it was lunch. Dave took me out for breakfast after we walked our mile. We have walked all but one day this week!
Gracie and Barney (doggies)seem to be fine now - thanks for your prayers! Gracie really had me worried!
Got to go make cookies, going to take them to my granddaughter tomorrow - she is at North Georgia College and State University!
Her first week away from home. Also made her a pillow today for her chair!
Hope everyone had a fun time getting out and exercising today!
hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  7:44:24 PM  Show Profile
Starletta, that is a great idea about going to a show store that will do that. I'll have to see if there is one around here that does that.

Rose, I keep forgetting to ask about your granddaughter. Does she like it so far? That's so neat that your husband goes walking with you. I have been working on my rag rug today. My middle left finger is sore! I think I'd like to try a different kind of hook. Was it Kelly or Karrieann that said something about a bamboo hook? I iwll have to look while I am out tomorrow. I wonder if it would be easier than the plastic one.

I worked outside some today. Sherry had sent me some plants a few months ago. I just planted them all out in the garden. So the other day I dug up the day lillies and put them in a bucket and almost forgot them. I planted them today. I have been trying to keep moving alot. The weather was pretty nice today. Then this evening I walked up and down the driveway 5 times. That's it.

I hope ya'll had a great day today. Can't wait to hear about it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  4:18:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. I hope you all have had a greta day. Karrieann, how did the Curves go this week?

And I meant Ruth. I just saw I said Rose. So sorry, Ruth. Will your granddaughter come home on weekends?

I went to my DD Heather's today about 2:30 and we went for a mile walk oround here big huge block. She couldn't keep up with me! It was hot at 3:00 but she said she felt pretty good after. She had quit her job last week and hasn't found anything yet. She si the type that has to work. When she doesn't she gets really depressed and sleeps all day and gains wait and it's just not good. She has to keep busy. And she has no hobbies or anything so she gets bored. So amybe I can go walk with her after Kansas goes to school sometimes.

So I won't go walking tonight. It looks like rain anyway. And I have been doing chicken work since I got home. So lots of moving around for me.

Where is everyone? I miss ya'll.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  4:43:43 PM  Show Profile
Kris
You are doing great. You are such a motivator. You could be a team leader of a major company.
Don't laugh, but I watched "Turning Point" (an old ballet movie) & went into our workout room & did some ballet on the ballet barre. I know, I have NO excuse!!
We have a nice workout room. But believe me, I had to clear a bunch of crap away from the barre area. & I know my big fat tub of goo looked pretty scary at a ballet barre. But the stretching is good.
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  5:04:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kris, It was Kelly that mentioned the bamboo hook. I went to see Ashley this afternoon, made her a pillow for her chair and also some chocolate chip cookies. The girls were thrilled! They said "homemake cookies!". Ashley will stay on campus until Labor Day then go home for the weekend. The College wants the kids to stay a few weeks before going home to get used to "campus" life. She is doing great. She got a job (work/study) on campus and starts that next Monday, so she will be a very busy girl. She is a smart girl, but does have to study. She is very structured and disciplined.
I'm proud of her and her Mom for raising such a great gal! My daughter (her Mom is a widow). Ashley has a brother in 10th grade this year - he's also a real good kid!
Didn't walk today as we ran roads. Another doctor's appointment in Atlanta today! UGH!!!!!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  7:36:12 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, you are so funny! I can just see a big fat tub of goo at the ballet barre now! Too funny. But I am so glad you found your way back to it. When I was a little girl I took ballet for awhile.

Ruth, I bet your cookies were a hit. And it sounds like she will be very busy at school. It is always so good to hear of people's kids turning out so good. More doctor visits today? I hope you had good news again.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  05:23:26 AM  Show Profile
Hi all! Kris even walking in place can help. I used to do that before work for up to 20 minutes, lots of time would put on music and just dance around the house But you take care now, small steps are often as good as big ones!!

Off to county fair this morning so will get my working in without even trying, best kind!!! Froze 3 doz corn on cob last night. Garden is coming in so really need to focus on that as will be going back to work too soon. Want to get as much done as I can so don't have to come home from work and do it besides.

Later
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  08:17:57 AM  Show Profile
Hello Rae. I have done that before. Good idea. Thanks. I have Dish so I have a lot of really good music stations I can turn on. But if it's raining or a little windy, no satellite. And I don't have a radio in the house. I need to get one. I hope you have fun at the fair. Do ya'll have rides at your fair? Out county fair is in Sept. No rides. Just a craft show mostly. With lots of food and the animals and the place where you bring your canned goods and baked goods to be judged. What do you call that anyway? I love to go there. Plus it's in an AC building!

I need corn. Roxie my heifer and the goats ate all mine. But I am leary of buying just anyone's corn. I need to know it's not GM or pesticide sprayed and that's hard to find at a market anymore. SO we may have to do without this year.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  6:03:46 PM  Show Profile
Wow! What a difference a good pair of shoes makes! I traded back my old shoes for the new shoes with my daughter. I put a bandaide on the blister and a pair of socks and went walking awhile ago. I was bouncing all over the place! Oh so much better. And my shin did not even hurt at all! I bet it was just those other shoes and no cushion at all. And pounding my foot down on the hard pavement. So now I am good to go. I am feeling so much better.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  9:00:55 PM  Show Profile
hey kris good for you. new shoes can make a difference for sure. glad you can get out there now with no pain. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  9:50:31 PM  Show Profile
Kris
You go!!
I just finished some more kimchi in a cute crock I got at a yard sale for a buck!
I think of you every time I make it!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  07:47:22 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, it is so good. How are you making yours? I think I need to go to more yard sales. I would love to find a crock for a buck. I need to get some good cabbage and make some more and some kraut too. Love that stuff. Pretty soon that's all I am going to be eating is all fermented foods. With kefir and kambucha and sour dough and kimchi and kraut. It's all so good.

Sherry, it sure does make a difference with the pain with was having. I really should have known better.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13627 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13627 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  08:12:09 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Kris,
Shoes are SOOOOO important!! I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I power walk every day, have for decades. I go through a LOT of shoes and have done several endurance breast cancer walking events (walking a marathon distance in a day . . for 2-3 days in a row) which also required days and days . . and many miles of training.

Everyone is different but I know, for me, that I have to have a roomy toebox. I discovered Asics shoes with the gel cushioning inside. I've tried EVERY other brand of shoe and always go back to the Asics. And, shoes used like this will break down internally before they look like they're worn out on the outside. For me, when I start getting any kind of pain in my legs, feet or hip joints, then I know it's time to get a new pair.

I suggest writing the date you start using your shoes on the tongue or on the outside somewhere with a felt tip . . .in about 4-5 months or so, you'll probably want to start thinking about the need to replace. And, if you have consistent issues with blisters . . ."GLIDE" anti-friction stick works wonders. It's like stick deodorant only it's anti-friction . . .you just apply it that way all over your feet & between your toes, etc., any ANYWHERE else you may have friction. I have used it on my underarms where they might rub against my clothes, especially in summer with a tank top and the seam/binding right under my arm. I ALWAYS have "Glide" available.

Anyway . . just wanted to share that with you . . . and I encourage you in your endeavors!!! WOW!!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  09:19:00 AM  Show Profile
Thank you CJ. That's a great thing you are doing. I hope to be able to do that some day. To be able to walk for such a wonderful cause. I have a few friends who have had breat cancer. They are both doing really good right now.

I think I got the blister because I had no socks on and the heal was rubbing. So I will wear socks now as much as I hate it. I don't want anymore of those nasty blisters again. But that sounds like a good thing to have around for sure.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic I Started Walking Today Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page