Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  07:06:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I got prescribed Cipro yesterday for a UTI that was not going away with holistic help. :( I am very sick, but no longer from the UTI (which is a blessing) but rather from the side effects! Dizziness, nausea and nightmares! I also had a sore throat yesterday which is also listed on the symptoms. I am trying to keep hydrated to help my body flush any excess.

I guess I am just feeling sorry for myself. I can't wait until this week is over!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  07:53:27 AM  Show Profile
I had to take Cipro for the same thing several years ago and I still remember how dizzy it made me.
Drugs like this are hard on your system. Take care and keep on drinking fluids.

*HUGS*

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  08:02:02 AM  Show Profile
Annika is right--I'm almost surprised they gave it to you. I recall taking it for a severe abscess in my tooth and it made me VERY sick, so they gave me something else. It can also have side effects later, if taken too often, too long. Let's hope you can get over this thing soon!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  2:23:17 PM  Show Profile
I have taken that medication a lot of times. It does make me very nauseas. I found that eating crackers helped a little bit. As mentioned before drink LOTS of water, otherwise if you don't the medication won't have a chance to dissolve and help flush your system like it should. Make sure not to take the meds with milk or any other dairy product or vitamin supplements. Also stay out of the sun for extended periods and do not take any caffeine while on the medication.

http://www.drugs.com/cipro.html

Farmgirl Sister #2619
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  4:21:32 PM  Show Profile
My mom was in the hospital for 4 days due to a UTI. She was prescribed Cipro when she was released and had to take it for 2 weeks. When she had her follow up tests, she still had a UTI and they gave her another 5 days of Cipro. Hopeful that this is the end of it. It gives her headaches and makes her feel nauseous.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  4:49:03 PM  Show Profile
Those UTI's are really hard on people lately. I wonder why? I know several people, my mom included, that had really bad cases. And it took a long time to get over it. I hope you will be ok, Alee.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  5:45:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks ladies! The UTI seems to be going away but the Cipro is still messing with me. I have a feeling I will be living the next couple days in the bathtub when not at work. That's about the only think that makes me feel better when I am sick.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  04:00:59 AM  Show Profile
Dear Alee, Hope you feel better soon. I get UTI's sometimes too, and my doctor recommended taking a Cranberry capsule a day to ward off the infections that might pop up. At first I was taking them daily, but have now backed off to basically whenever I remember, but it does help. Has more potency than drinking Cranberry juice and also helps reduce ongoing inflammation throughout the body too. If I do have the slightest feeling of pain down there, or am peeing alot with not alot of fluid being expelled I have taken an over the counter product called, Cystex. It relieves the initial symptons and has an antibacterial to fight infection. It recommends taking 2 tablets/3x a day, but I have never had to that....one dose and it seems to zap it away, but again, I am also taking it the minute I feel the initial symptoms. Just to clarify, I don't have this happen alot. I have had to do this 2x in the last 3yrs.....so in my book that is better than getting a full blown UTI and having to go to the dr. Hope this helps...and praying you feel better soon. Hugs, Erica
Go to Top of Page

Marcia30
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Marcia
Mt. Carmel IL
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  10:05:58 AM  Show Profile
I get UTIs all the time and they always give me cipro and i have never had any problems with it. I take it and by the tiem i am done my UTI is gone. I guess it just affects people diffrent huh?

Here comes the warmer weather!!! May God Bless all of our gardens!!!!
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  07:21:19 AM  Show Profile
Poor Alee! I also took Cipro for the same thing and it made me feel dizzy, nauseated and I couldn't stay awake. When I went back to the doctor for another UTI, she tried to prescribe it, I told her I wanted something else because the Cipro had made me feel "drunk". She gets out her little pocketbook thing and says "Gosh, I have never heard of those side effects before..." I wanted to say "Gosh, you're right. I have *so much to gain* by making up side effects...." I hope you feel better soon!!! UTIs are the worst!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  07:26:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Amy! My body finally adjusted to the medicine and I am not having as bad of a reaction to it. However I do also have a horrible cold and it is trying very hard to become pneumonia. I am hoping that the Cipro will keep the infection from becoming worse. I am feeling a little better today and hope that I will be much improved by Monday.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  10:06:36 AM  Show Profile
wow girl-hope you are feeling better. take care of yourself,big hug from a fellow farmgirl

farmgirl#1362 whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  10:40:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Mary Jo! I am staying home and resting today. I am feeling a lot better than I did yesterday so I must be on the upswing of this junk. I am looking forward to spring weather and lots of sunshine and exercise! I need to get healthy and strong again!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic I do not like Cipro! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page