kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  3:16:47 PM  Show Profile
Yay! More walkers! I am so happy there are so many of us doing this. Monica, I am about 5'8". We should get a badge for walking in 100 degree heat for sure. I'll ask MJ when I see her. So glad you have joined us. You keep it up too and the more we sweat the more we lose, right?

Good for you, Starletta!!!! For walking and for cutting down on those sodas. And yes, they are frying anything at the fairs anymore. The more bazarre the better people like them. I love butter but that kind of makes me a little sick thinking about that. But you are doing great! I am so proud of you for walking in that heat. We got a little rain so I hope it's a bit cooler when I go out to walk. I might have to go a little earlier. It looks like it's getting dark.

I just can't say it enough about how glad I am for so much support here. I have already had some of ya'll email me to see if I've walked. Thanks so much. I have also been eating earlier and then just drinking kefir when I get finished. So that should help. Thanks again, ya'll!

Big sweaty hugs back, Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  04:49:52 AM  Show Profile
If you start to get leg cramps at night or whenever, drink a gatorade everyday..they have calorie free ones if you want...but the pediatrist told me that...he said, once you get dehydrated enough to get leg cramps it doesn't matter how much water you drink, you need the enzymes to get you back on track...but keep drinking the water along with the gatorade...just a little tidbit to help...since you're walking in that hot heat...I'm walking in the pool...treading water burns many calories...
I'm excited for you! For all of us!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  06:01:46 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Monica. I guess it's my shins that are hurting worse right now. I need better shoes. And it hurts worse walking down hill. There is a slight elevation on the first half then I have to walk back up. It does not hurt then.

I was thinking that I am already a little bored of the same ole thing. Already! So next week I will drive down the road to Mt. Cove farms and park at the beginning and walk there. Then the week after I can go down the road to New Dawn farm and walk on that road. It's a dead end and beautiful views. That's where Mazie was for awhile. I love it at both places. And there won't be any traffic. Then I can go to different places and not get bored and want to quick.

Did anyone else walk or do anything else? I am so excited to see how I look in a month.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  06:13:29 AM  Show Profile
You go girls! You're doing great!

I would love to walk but where we are , there are no sidewalks and the ground slopes into irrigation ditches. Traffic has increased on our road due to new homes and people speed :( When you ladies walk (say on a road) are you facing oncoming traffic or have your back to it?

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  06:58:38 AM  Show Profile
Sharon, that's what I was wondering too. I have been walking on the right side of the road both ways. But yesterday I walked on the left side. I think I would rather face traffic. I get a little scared thinking about cars and trucks coming up behind me so fast. So what is the proper way to do this? I hope someone knows.

You could do the Leslie Sansone videos. I will probably do them if it's too cold out or raining. She is very good and it's a good workout.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  07:26:03 AM  Show Profile
Kris,
If you are walking you should face traffic; if you are riding a bike you should go the same direction as the traffic.
I walked our trials yesterday & this AM walked uphill 1/2 mile to my neighbors to take care of her critters & then back.
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  07:43:55 AM  Show Profile
walked my 30 minutes today --yeah!!! The boys went back to school today and I'm feeling a little bit lost....it is still way too hot with the heat index in the 100's.

farmgirl sister #1927
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  09:58:31 AM  Show Profile
Yay, Lisa and Starletta!! Good for ya'll!

Thanks Lisa. I do feel better facing traffic. That way I can get out of the way if they are too close!

Starletta, I know how that is to have the kids back in school. I always felt lost too. But with grands it's great! I have had Kansas ALL summer. We went to see who her teacher will be and she has a really good one this year. I had thought about homeschooling her but I am happy with who she has now. I think they will be good together. I hope. We will see. Be careful in this heat. I just went out to do water for all the critters and let the turkey babes out and I am drenched already.

Tomorrow it's only supposed to be 92! Wow! I forgot what that was like. It's been 100 and over for over 2 weeks now. What will we do?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  10:41:34 AM  Show Profile
Did my walk this morning, the skies cleared for a while and was nice so quickly took advantage of it. Felt good too cause for a while I thought well no, will rain, etc... but got up and went!!! I am lucky I don't have to deal with any traffic where I walk other than people coming to my house

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  10:51:20 AM  Show Profile
Kris:
You're getting good support here. Great! How is the walking going? You mentioned that you can't walk and talk. You will later. Keep up the good work.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  11:39:15 AM  Show Profile
All right, Rae!! That's what ya have to do, just get up and do it. I know there are going to lots of times I am not going to want to walk but I have to. I was telling Kansas I am doing this more for my health, I think. I want to have a stronger heart and brain. And my grands want me to live forever. Especially Chloe, the oldest. She's always saying she doesn;t ever want me to die. So I will do this for them also.

Traffic really isn't too awful bad out here. I am 5 miles to the end of this road then it goes up the mountain. There aren't that many houses past me. And Wed. night there was the church goers. Last night not so bad.

I measured the distance I have been walking when I left earlier today. It.s exactly 1 mile one way. So I've been walking 2 miles since I've started Monday. Not too bad. It looks like we might get some of those scattered showers here.

Keep it up, Rae. We can do this together.

Thanks for checking in on me, Marly! 4 days now. And I did pretty good talking to my DD the other day while I was walking. We talked on the phone for one mile.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  05:41:04 AM  Show Profile
I didn't get to walk yesterday and I can already tell. I feel puffy. I don't like that. But I had a really good reason for not walking. I was in Alpharetta Ga. with Kerrieann, Ruth and Kelly Wall to meet Mary Jane! We had the best time. Kerrieann taught me and Kelly how to get started on making rag rugs. So I think I have that down now. Then we met mary Jane at Vinny's and had appetizers and deserts. It was so good and the company was even better. Mary Jane is the sweetest cutest lady. Just like I thought she'd be. I am so glad I got to go and meet all these wonderful ladies. I already had met Kelly several times. We rode down together. Made some really good friends and had a great time.

But now I will have to walk 4 miles today! I feel like going right now but it's very hot and muggy out. I just came in from milking and feeding animals and I am drenched! So I'll wait til this evening.

I hope you all had a good Sat. of healthy eating and walking and excercising. I will be back in it later.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  05:58:24 AM  Show Profile
Kristin, It sounds like u had a fun day, don't overdue the walking in one day to make up for it. Have a good day.
Jill Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  2:10:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kris! You're a big inspiration to me! Sure have appreciated reading your words and seeing all the encouragement that you're giving as well as getting. Wish we lived closer, so I could huff and puff alongside you! Chocolate is my big downfall (I call it my "vitamins"). My health's not the greatest & doc has been saying I need to exercise with, but with little ones, I've been making *lots* of excuses... but after reading how you're doing it and you keep plugging along at it... I'm going to put on my sneakers later today (when it's cooler) & start walking! I hope you continue with your exercise plan... it'll be so good for your health. I hope this thread stays active so others will hop on board and be inspired to get healthy, too! Thanks for starting this, Kris! xoxo

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  2:56:28 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I'm soooo proud of you - sending you big cheers of encouragement. Just take it slow and easy, especially in this heat.
I started walking again on Friday
Big hugs sister!
Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  3:04:31 PM  Show Profile
Jewel, that's so neat that you are going to do this too! It just makes me want to walk all that much farther! It's so hot here and doesn't seem to be ever going to cool off anytime soon. So now is as good a time as any, right? There's always a nice cold shower at the end, so think of that while you're out there sweating all those buckets. That helps me alot. Just start slow and have fun. See how many little critters you can see along the way. And be sure to check back in when you're done, ok?

I think bread is my downfall. I could eat bread all the time. All kinds. I am baking my sourdough right now. It's been rising since 9 this morning. I can't wait to have a piece. I won't have a big one. I promise. And I think we should eat chocolate at least once a day. It should be on the ood pyrimid.

Jill, I had so much fun. And Mary Jane is so cute and just like one of us. I am so glad I got to meet her. I knew I would probably never get to Idaho anytime soon. So I was just blessed to be able to go. And to meet the others was the best. I will try to not overdue it but feel like I need to go a little farther tonight to make up for not going yesterday and eating that wonderful chocolate mousse. Yum!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  5:53:16 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I find just one piece of Dove Dark Chocolate does the trick for me - I let the little gem disolve in my mouth enjoying every speck of it - I tell myself - you are not allowed to "chew" you must let it melt in your mouth and savor it -
try it, it just might help you through so you don't feel deprived.
How was your walk tonight? I'm going in the morning to an inside track we now have at our Recreation Center - boring, but cool.
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  05:21:01 AM  Show Profile
The weekend soooo got away from me with all the errands and chores and I didn't walk. But I only had one soda on Saturday and one on Sunday. I plan to walk today on my lunchtime break.

farmgirl sister #1927
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  07:28:10 AM  Show Profile
Kristin! Go girl. I just read through most all of the posts here, and I know just how you feel, with the weight all going in the tummy. And in the midst of this new venture of yours, you got to meet MaryJane! Now that is a real treat, and I am so happy for you! Keep going!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  08:26:47 AM  Show Profile
I know, Shirley Jean! That was just the neatest thing ever. Ruth was there too. It was so fun. I wish everyone could have been there too. Thanks for your encouragement also. I need all I could get right now.

Hey Ruth. That's a good idea. I tend to scarf things down too fast. I love the Dove chocolates too. I walked early last night because it looked like it was going to rain any minute. It was raining in Ft. O where my hubby was. He had riden his Harley to my parents and had to wait for the monsoon to stop before he could come home. But nothing here at all. There was a nice breeze so I hardly sweated at all. But it really hurt. The fronts of my legs and my feet. I only went to the first sign it was hurting so bad. That's still almost 2 miles. I really need walking shoes bad. I think I am stepping too hard. I think there is a certain way to walk. I need to take walking lessons!

Starletta, there is always today so don't be hard on yourself. I was feeling guilty for not walking Sat. but ya know, there is always another day. I am going to post the really good poem my mail art person sent me and it is so perfect for this right now.

Don't Quit

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
when the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
when the funds are low and the debts are high,
and you want to smile, but you have to cry,
when care is pressing you down a bit,
rest if you must, BUT DON'T YOU QUIT;

Life is queer with it's twists and turns,
as every one of us sometimes learns,
and many a failure turns about,
when he might have won had he stuck it out,
don't give up though the pace seems slow,
you may succeed with another blow.

Success is failure turned inside out,
the silver tints of the clouds of doubt,
and you can never tell how close you are,
it may seem near when it seems so far,
so stick to the fight when you're hardest hit,
it's when things seem worst,
that you must not quit!

I thought that was perfect for me. I need to frame it and hang it in front of my face. I'll need to read it when I don't feel like going for a walk. I though you all might like to read it too so we'll all be motivated by it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  08:47:28 AM  Show Profile
That's an awesome poem, Kris. I need to print that out. Early evening I started making excuses & *almost* didn't go for a walk as I was worn out by the kids... but I had given my word to you & having that accountability sure helped! So I went walking & thought of you talking with the cows and that gave me a sweet joy thinking about that & when I got home, I was really glad I walked. So tonight, I'm going to try doing it again. Hugs to you!

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  08:54:46 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the poem, Kris. It is perfect for me and I already posted it right in my work station!

farmgirl sister #1927
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  09:17:06 AM  Show Profile
Jewel, that's so sweet. Yesterday when I was walking all the cows and calves were up closer to the road and they were all looking at me. I asked them if they had missed me. They are mostly red Hereford I think. Then a few years ago they put in a black bull so most of the calves have been black and white. But this year there are 3 of the prettiest brown calves. I love brown and these are so cute. So I hope to be able to pet them soon. The horses don't even look at me anymore. So it does help to have something to look forward to. And they are at my halfway point. I'll be thinking of you out there when I walk too now. Hugs to you, too, Jewel.

That's what I need to do. Make a list of all of you who are walking with me and be praying for ya'll and thinking of ya'll as I am walking. That will also make time go by faster and I won't feel so alone out there.

Starletta, I hope you get to walk today. That poem will be a big help for us when we get discouraged now.

My hubby and I just fixed the chicken house door and we are both just soaked! It's very humid today.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  09:18:31 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, Tammy and Rae, how are ya'll doing? Just checking on ya'll.

Hugs, Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  09:20:24 AM  Show Profile
Laila, Diana and Diane, I am checking on ya'll, too. How's it going?

Hugs, Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic I Started Walking Today Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page