Page: of 18

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  4:25:06 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Kristin, I LOVE!! how you write, how you express yourself! I write and when I read it back to myself it doesn't sound anything like how I was thinking it, like it comes out criss-crossed or something, so I appreciate people that have the gift of expression with words.
I'm through menopause, recently turned 51 and, just writing that, seeing it, I am just shaking my head. Seems surreal, but, here I am and though I'm not @ my heaviest, I am miserable about how I feel and look. I make the commitment to exercise and do a couple of days and then...well we all know how that goes. So, then I walk around with the knowledge I'm supposed to exercise today, and it feels like I walk around all day with a spiritual sack on my back and I'm wanting to get it off of me...and I've found that the only way to get that burden off of my mind is to well, take a few minutes out of my day to do something loving for me and exercise. It's amazing to realize it's so hard to do this activity that is a loving activity. Love is a verb, it's an action word and we find it so hard to do loving activities for our own well-being. So, now I walk on a treadmill, & I do pilates with the lady on the tapes. I try to remind myself I am worthy this small amount of time every day to do something that is good, for me.
I think it's fantastic you decided to do this, I hope you're still walking.
I do hope you hydrate, drink before and after.
You probably already know that cravings for chocolate are often an indication that there is a magnisium deficiency...and with magnesium is it's partner calcium, which both affect potassium, so really hydrate to stave off charlie horses.
I started taking fiber tabs, fiber helps with a sense of fullness and helps me to battle cravings. I use Brenda Watson's products, the fiber drink mix is a life saver for me. I have one for breakfast and it's the one product that I've found that won't cause blood-sugar spikes and cravings after an hour; with other products, I'm eating everything in sight after an hour,so I've stayed with this one because it works and tastes great with almond milk and some fruit. It stays with me, I don't crave sweets afterwards, so that's just an idea...

Anyway, sure hope you're still doing something good for you, love in action.

Say to them, may the Lord bless you and protect you, May the Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. (Numbers 6:23-26)

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

Edited by - MasterGardener on Sep 19 2010 4:33:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  07:09:55 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jewel. I am so sorry you are sick now on top of everything else you are going through. Poor baby. I hope you are well soon. My mother told me years ago that a mother can only be sick for one day a year. When that doy is over, that's it. Ha! She said her doctor told her that when us kids were little. He was joking. But it's really true. So you've had your day. How's your hubby feeling? I hope he's getting stronger day. Is he going to be on sick leave?

Hi there, Chandra! I am so glad you came to visit. And thank you for your kind words. My family says I need to write a book. We used to have a family letter that went all over the country and we would all contribute. They always said they felt like they were here with me. I can get carried away sometimes! I do love sweets. But I don't always have to have them. I love chocolate too. I made some mints for my DD's wedding and had some left over so I put them in the freezer. If I need something sweet I grad just one because that's all I can handle. They are sweet. I had to get to that place where I was not happy with me too. So I decided to do something and I love walking. So that's what I do. Plus all the farm stuff. Which is like a workout. But has to be done. So come join us on our walks. We have fun. And we can talk all about it. It makes time go by so much faster.

I went last night at 7 to walk down the road at the camp. I went to where the paved road stops and turned around. Then back to the camp. That took 11 minutes. So all the way to the end of the road then started back. And there's a snake laying right across the road! It was straight and about a foot long but looked like it went ALL the way across the road. Scared me to death. It didn't look very old but then I really don't know snakes. ANd it wasn't moving. So I ran past it and kept going very fast. A few minutes later a truck went past me. (When I drove back that way they had run over it! It was a dead snake then!) So back to the camp and that was about 20 minutes. So back to the top of the hill and back and finally it was 30 minutes. That was a very long 30 minutes. I was ready to go then.

So went back this morning to walk with the ladies. Me and Charlotte took off ahead of the pack. It took about 45 minutes to walk the 3 miles. And it was hot this morning. The trail was shaded. And we saw some deer. There was a truck at the end. It stops and there is a thing there where you can register your name and if you shoot anything. There were 2 pages full of names so far since 9-11. We have our bright orange bandanas on so hopefully we won't get an arrow shot through us. Plus we talk alot! It's fun. And I saw some deer on the way to the walk this morning. Poor deer. They are being hunted. And bow season is both sexes too.

Well, I hope everyone gets some good walks in this week. I'd love to hear about where ya'll are walking. What do you see? Where do you go? It should start being really pretty soon. Maybe those that can post pics will show us where you are walking.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  07:11:49 AM  Show Profile
Ruth, how's the hubby's elbow today?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  4:17:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kris, Thanks for asking - we went to Kennesaw today to see the doctor as his knees are hurting also! His elbow was very red and swollen last night. She did blood work, thinks he has gout. I didn't know it could affect other places besides the big toe! He got some of his blood results back and his uric acid was elevated, so will wait for a call from her.
We didn't get to walk today, he really didn't feel like it, but I would have liked to have gone. The trip to the doctor pretty much shoots the whole day.
Be careful walking out there with those hunters, they can be dangerous, hope those bandana's are real Bright!!!!
Can't wait for some Fall weather!

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  4:58:23 PM  Show Profile
Ruth, my hubby has had gout in his elbow before. man is that ugly and nasty. Tell him not to eat any turkey or processed foods. Lots of fresh organic veggies. I hope he gets well soon. I think it takes a few weeks to get back down to normal.

Kirs

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  5:45:11 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I agree w/Chandra & love your writing style. That's why when I'm walking alone, I'm walking w/Kris (thinking about you and your cows & turkey chats ;-) Girrll, you are right about being a sick mama (no day off, lol). That's okay. I'm a Farm Girl at Heart & got a git 'er done attitude, so it's take the meds and school the kids, run errands, etc. Will try to do a light walk our neighborhood "track." Went on a short one this morning & saw the most unique mushroom. May have to bring my camera to take a picture of it. Also see that a neighbor has wild rose hips growing & with the new issue of MJF gets me thinking of seeing if she's going to do anything with them or not. The recipe looked really good!

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  7:45:21 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jewel. Are ya better yet? I know what ya mean. Women don't have time to be sick. Too much to do! But I do hope you are better. I had a stomach virus today. Yuck. I hate being sick and am usually pretty healthy. I called my mom to see how she was and she's had the same thing this morning. I was wondering if it was something we had eaten. Everyone came here for dinner yesterday. But called Abby and she was fine. So maybe just a bug. I feel better tonight. I even had to take a nap which I don't do. I hope you get some good pictures. One of these days I have got to learn how to post pics. I hope you get some of those rose hips. What will you do with them?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  07:45:11 AM  Show Profile
My goodness, it sure is quiet here these days ladies.I hope everyone is well and up and going. I know with sick husbands and busy lives it's hard to get on here everyday.

And yesterday was the 1st day of fall! But boy was it hot. It was 97. But we had a big storm to the north of us. Really strong wind and lightening and rain. We got just a little here and there. But on the way home I thought I was going to have to find a ditch! It was scary. Then it was over. Really strange storm. When I got home there were puddles on the road so we got a little. I still had to water this morning.

I got home from my long morning walk and had to start working right away. I waited to let the turkeys out til I got back. They are driving me crazy. They are getting out all day. I go out and throw them back in. I do this about 18 times. Then I watered the 2 raised beds and noticed several onions on top of the ground and some chicken poop. So I had to put more netting on the top. Then put a bunch of leaves for mulch. Now I won't be able to get in. And I swear I heard those darn chickens just a laughing at me. I know they were. Because ya just can't keep a chicken out of a garden. No matter how I think I have something chicken proof, it ain't.

This mornings walk was SO long. I thought we'd never get to the half way point. And it's humid. I am still sweating. It really seemed longer than usual. There was a truck at the end> They were back there hunting. When I went yesterday to the slaughterhouse to get dog bones I ordered a deer. I should get one in a week or two. They are getting them all the time.I can't wait. Deer stew. Deer roast. Yum!

I hope ya'll have a great day.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  09:00:05 AM  Show Profile
My sister and I have been walking for about a month. We walk 30 minutes every day. We've skipped our walking since the 17th because we started the 30 Day Shred workout. I'm hoping to be able to do both soon. But this Shred is kicking my butt! Awesome workout and burns LOTS of calories in a short time, better than working out for 2 to 3 hours. Get it done in 20 minutes with the Shred, not counting warm up and cool down! Hardest thing I've everrrr done, but I'm loving it!

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

"Courage is being scared to death... but saddling up anyway" ***John Wayne

http://main.acsevents.org/goto/iloveyoumom

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  09:08:12 AM  Show Profile
Ruth & Starletta, I hope your hubbies are feeling better.

Kris, so sorry to hear that you got the flu -bleh. Hoping you'll get a chance to get out into the air (& that it cools down for ya!) As for this pneumonia, every day I *think* it's getting better with these heavy-duty antibiotics. Will go for a very small walk outside in the crisp air. Yesterday I mowed the lawn and it wiped me out cuz it's like breathing through a little straw, but our grass got so high since been busy tending so much illness around here, and it really needed it.

Sounds like your turkeys are ninja fighters or something. So sorry you're getting attacked. That's got to be scary.

Re: the rose hips, MaryJane has in her newest mag a recipe using rose hips that looks yummy & will try once everyone gets well around here. Off to go for a small walk before I start schooling the kids. Hope to hear how everyone's walking is coming along

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  09:17:00 AM  Show Profile
Well I just did something stupid to my sciatic nerve while out watering animals....bummer
But I got a good walk in yesterday =) Looking forward to losing some of this pudge!
I hope everyone is feeling better today? Jewel, I hope you are going to be getting stronger and better from the Pneumonia real soon...I had it two years ago and it too me forever to get over it...it really is a nasty devil to beat. Feel better *hug*

Kris I LOVE deer meat too Yum!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  2:17:43 PM  Show Profile
Annika, I am so sorry you hurt yourself. What is that anyway? And how long does it take to heal? Are you able to walk at all?

Mikki, good for you and your sister. And you will have to explain the 30 day shred. Sounds interesting. I could do 20 minutes of excercising. Have you seen the Zumba dancing? That looks fun but I can never get together with the rest of the group. Bad rythm I guess.

I don't know what I am going through right now. But I am just TIRED. I had to take a nap again this afternoon. And have the bathroom problem again. I am just tired. Can't hardly hold my eyes open. It's been so hot this week. I don't know if that's why I am tired. But I am not liking this. It could still be that bug. I hate bugs. Has anyone else had anything like this lately?

Jewel, you better take it easy. I know how it is though. It has to be done so you have to do it or it won't get done. But really, be careful. You are still not over your sickness yet. And at this rate it might take longer. So take a break.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  2:52:11 PM  Show Profile
The sciatic is a nerve in the lower back.

Mine hurts from time to time. I quess I zigged when I shoulda zagged this morning, cuz its hurtin like the devil! if it doesn't stop hurting bad in a couple of days I'll give in and see the doctor.

My sweetie, Drew, had the stomach bug all last weekend and still doesn't feel right. I hope you get to feeling better. Poor girl! I hate being sick! Get better soon =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  6:30:54 PM  Show Profile
Annika, Have you tried stretching to see if that will help - I have that problem from time to time and stretching really helps me, but be careful. Hope you get better real soon.
Kris, I'm sorry your not feeling better - yucky tummy bug - try some mint tea (if you can), maybe that will help - but you really do need to rest and drink lots of liquids.
Jewel, It takes a long time to get over pneumonia - be careful that you don't overdo because you can have a relapse. I'm sounding negative, I don't mean to be but I want everyone to take care of themselves and get better so you can enjoy the Fall and life!
Dave's elbow is better, but his knee is still not good. But overall I think he is feeling better - thanks for checking in on him!
Haven't walked though - I started out today, but never made it.
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  9:24:24 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Girls! We are doing great so far! I am really enjoying it.
To answer your questions I am taking Jazz and tap this year. :)
Hope you are all doing well!! :)
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Lifes not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Just a small town country girl, farmgirl,loggergirl, trying to live her dreams. :)

P.s. I've been playing around with the spelling of my name ( weird I know) and I've decided that I will stick with Hannah for good. Sorry I got you all confused. Hugs!!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  07:09:01 AM  Show Profile
Annika, I hope you are feeling ok today and don't have to go to the doctor. Those backs are tricky sometimes.

Ruth, I am better today. I think I will get out of the house for awhile. I need to take milk to my daughter and do some more errands. It looks like a beautiful day here. I am waiting for all the rain we are going to be getting this weekend. Oh, I need to go to Lowe's and get a kitchen faucet and toilet. My faucet hose has been broken for a few years now. The past week I have just had a little trickle in the faucet. ANd the toilet seat is broken and I hate that toilet. About every other flush I have to plunge it. It takes 5 minutes to fill the tank back up. My friend just remodeled their bathroom and got the perfect toilet. It's higher than normal and has this little quart sized tray in the tank for the water. And ya flush and it takes 5 seconds to fill back up. Seriously. It's great. I want one bad. And she said it was just $100.

Hey there Hannah! I like that name. It looks better without the C. Kind of threw poeple off about how to say it. I always Knew it was Hannah though. SO glad ya'll are still walking. And with the dancing you should be in really good shape. How's school so far?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  11:18:03 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Kristin, Thanks! I like it alot better too. Yes, Dance and walking are keeping me in good shape. Schools going good too. I'm take a couple online school classes though a local school, and then I'm doing a couple with my friends, and then I have school at home. And thats only school. lol
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl, farmgirl,loggergirl, trying to live her dreams. :)

P.s. I've been playing around with the spelling of my name ( weird I know) and I've decided that I will stick with Hannah for good. Sorry I got you all confused. Hugs!!
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  06:56:50 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Well I am off to take a brisk walk this morning. It is super cold this morning but hey, its better than walking in the rain. :)
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  07:08:58 AM  Show Profile
Kristin, Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is an intense workout. Combining Cardio, Strength Training and Abs all in one. It's an awesome workout, very hard but worth it!

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

"Courage is being scared to death... but saddling up anyway" ***John Wayne

http://main.acsevents.org/goto/iloveyoumom

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2010 :  3:53:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi Gals, It's been two days since anyone posted, including me (we had a House full of family over the weekend - it was great, but very busy). Now back to normal.
Are ya'll walking, exercising?, just checking in to see what you have been doing?
Hoping you had a great weekend!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2010 :  4:23:41 PM  Show Profile
Well, I've looked at this a few times, and I think it's great that ya'll have this going. Today my friend and I took a run, and I have rugby everyday, so I guess that counts for exercise everyday! I also walk the dog everyday and every school day have gym. But I always exercise on my off days!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  8:11:41 PM  Show Profile
Hey ya'll. I have had a busy day today. I did walk this morning. It was sprinkly but cool. There were 4 of us. I felt better walking. I have missed it.

It's good to see Megan here. You have a busy schedule. You should be a very fit teenager with all you do. It's hard for me to walk with my dog. I guess I need that leash that has the handle and gets longer.

Mikki, I think I have heard of that now. It sounds tough. Do you like it? And how long have you been doing it?

Ruth, I am so glad you had a fun weekend with your family. I love when we all get together. It is tiring but so fun. I hope your hubby is better and you get some rest.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  3:42:27 PM  Show Profile
Walked quite a bit this weekend, but didn't do anything yesterday. Gosh darn allergies make me so tired! Going to try to fit in a walk this evening, and maybe one with mom tomorrow morning before work.
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  5:46:05 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kris! I'm definitely not the fittest person or the skinniest, but I am fit and most of my body is muscle. I don't walk the dog for a long time because she's getting older. But I do it everyday with her!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2010 :  1:42:26 PM  Show Profile
Went for a slow a.m. watching the aspen trees turn autumn yellow. We're still on the mend, but it sure is nice seeing the colors of autumn.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic I Started Walking Today Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page