Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Caregivers Chat and Encouragement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Caregivers Chat and Encouragement Next Topic
Page: of 8

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  07:30:35 AM  Show Profile
Carole, you got it! Let us know please! Weekend pretty ok. My prayer request? As most of us here know situations like this, all too well, I could use prayer as I approach family regarding my 'caregiving' role with my mom. I get a lot of critisism and judgement that my attitudes are wrong. Yet, it is REAL easy to do that when they don't even give her a phone call to say hello. We all know that no matter what the situation, it almost always falls on one person and yet there are always huge 'family cheering sections' to let you know how wrong you are. But when the chips are down those people can be zero action and all suggestions! I do not want to hurt people or step on toes, but they need to understand where I may be coming from and that frankly they make it much harder and less bearable for me, if that makes any sense??!! Well, that where I am at for today. I think of you ladies and am so thankful that us farmgirls always listen and support one another and look for ways to help and encourage one another. Thanks and blessings to each of you! Linda

Country at Heart

Edited by - prayin granny on Aug 24 2010 07:32:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  7:54:30 PM  Show Profile
Well ladies I do pray that you all have had a good day. It seems like I'm here all the time asking for prayers. Mom has not been doing well for the past month. Now she's 86 and we can't expect her to be up to par all the time. But we had her at the hospital overnight 3 weeks ago, from having trouble breathing and jaw pain. I felt it was her heart. Two times that she had reacted this way they ended up putting in heart stints. But this time they just felt that it was her meds. Made changes in meds and still no good results. I went ahead and schuduled a apportment with heart dr and it was for first week in Sept. Still having jaw pain and breathing problems. Yesterday she said that she just went outside to water a few of her plants and couldn't make it because the jaw pain started again. Called and got her in to dr this morning and he feels almost certain that she will probably need stints again. She already has 6. So running tomorrow getting some test done and schuduled procedure is Friday at 11:00. I have a lot of trust in this dr and know that the Lord will be guiding his hands as this is done. Just wanted to ask for prayers that all goes as planned. I know that its alot more risky at her age but have to just hand it over to the Lord. I do appreciate all of you farmgirls for you prayers and support. Will keep you informed how things are going.
Hugs, Brenda

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  04:04:19 AM  Show Profile
Linda --
Thanks for praying. The trip went well. We had some "curve balls" thrown at us but we overcame those and all-in-all had a productive trip. I totally understand what you are saying about caregiving falling on one person and the others are either absent or just seem to make it more difficult. I didn't know if that was a universal thing or just my situation but it seems to be quite common. :-(

Brenda, will pray for your mom. Please do keep us informed.

Blessings,
Carole
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  09:23:32 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, we do have our hands full in various ways, don't we? It is great to be able to vent, share and pray together here. Keeping all of you and each situation in prayer. Take care ladies. Bonnie, have not hear from you for awhile. Hope you are doing ok. Blessings, Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  12:32:23 PM  Show Profile
I am posting this link because I thought the article was good. It encouraged me. It's an upbeat but straightforward piece written by a caregiver.

http://harvardmagazine.com/2010/07/on-caregiving
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  3:53:54 PM  Show Profile
It was a good article!!

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  4:26:13 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad you enjoyed it as I did. I'd like to see postings of links to articles and sites that are helpful to caregivers. Anyone who has a link is welcome to post it.
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  8:05:28 PM  Show Profile
I am reading a book on caregiving for the difficult aging parent. It is great and although geared for caring for your parents, it is a book for caregivers and addresses our needs, hurts, fears, frustration and often the guilt that we face. It has helped to know to not be so hard on myself all the time and my feelings are ok. Take care, ladies! Prayers for Brenda and her mom in the am as her mom has some surgery in the am! Blessings, linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2010 :  04:17:43 AM  Show Profile
What is the name of the book?

Everyone have a good day.

Carole
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  08:53:03 AM  Show Profile
The name of the book is....Coping with Your Difficult Parent...by Grace Lebow and Barbara Kane. It is geared for the child cargiver/parent role. However, I think the basics can be applied easily to any caregiving situation. Lots of points to help us cope and to understand our feelings are normal and they are ok! It even addresses the feelings of guilt that come in the extremes when we want a break and/or feel we need for the situation as it is to be over somehow. I think both amazon and ebay have it. Some used copies are $.99 and maybe $3.00 shipping. I hope all are doing ok. Thinking of each of you and praying for our situations. Although different, we all share a common bond. Blessings, Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  08:54:25 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by prayin granny

The name of the book is....Coping with Your Difficult Older Parent...by Grace Lebow and Barbara Kane. It is geared for the child cargiver/parent role. However, I think the basics can be applied easily to any caregiving situation. Lots of points to help us cope and to understand our feelings are normal and they are ok! It even addresses the feelings of guilt that come in the extremes when we want a break and/or feel we need for the situation as it is to be over somehow. I think both amazon and ebay have it. Some used copies are $.99 and maybe $3.00 shipping. I hope all are doing ok. Thinking of each of you and praying for our situations. Although different, we all share a common bond. Blessings, Linda

Country at Heart

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  08:55:26 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by prayin granny

The name of the book is....Coping with Your Difficult Older Parent...by Grace Lebow and Barbara Kane. It is geared for the child cargiver/parent role. However, I think the basics can be applied easily to any caregiving situation. Lots of points to help us cope and to understand our feelings are normal and they are ok! It even addresses the feelings of guilt that come in the extremes when we want a break and/or feel we need for the situation as it is to be over somehow. I think both amazon and ebay have it. Some used copies are $.99 and maybe $3.00 shipping. I hope all are doing ok. Thinking of each of you and praying for our situations. Although different, we all share a common bond. Blessings, Linda

Country at Heart

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2010 :  11:05:46 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning! I hope everyone is doing ok. Take care, ladies. Blessings, linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2010 :  12:03:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi Linda. I think when a thread gets to be several pages it becomes difficult for new people to work through it. Don't know what to do about that.

Hope you are okay too, Linda

Carole
Go to Top of Page

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  2:10:27 PM  Show Profile
Just checking in and saying hello to everyone. Last week was a good one ... this week, not so good. Hope you all are doing okay.

Blessings,
Carole
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  07:43:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi ;adies, Carole, thinking and praying for you. I hope it gets a bit easier. Anything you want to share? Blessings, Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  3:27:22 PM  Show Profile
Nothing out of the ordinary, Linda. Everyone gets tired and weary from time to time. But today has been much better and the weather much cooler. I'm lovin' it. Hope you are doing okay. I miss hearing from some of the others but I know everyone is busy ... especially if they are a caregiver.

Carole
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  7:33:43 PM  Show Profile
I am doing ok. Fall is in the air here as well and it is great to feel!! I pray that your days are going well. Blessings, Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  1:08:23 PM  Show Profile
Glad you are doing well, Linda. Me too. Fall is in the air more here now and we got an inch of rain day before yesterday ... but we could use more. Everything did perk up a lot from that shower. It's a lot like life, sometimes there are dry periods and then it rains. :-)

It seems to be you and me right now but that's okay. We're here to listen if anyone needs it. Or if we need it. I'm hoping the others are okay and I'm going to believe that they are.

Cheers,
Carole
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  06:27:48 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning ladies, FALL is here!!!!!!!!!!!!! I always start feeling better when that darn hot weather is over. And this last summer was a dosey! Had company yesterday and over did myself. Got in cleaning alot of things that I've just put off. Then standing up in the kitchen cooking was the top of the ice berg. By night I was hardly moving and hurting like all get out. But I did have a good sleep, 7hrs. which is way more than usual. So today I'm making this just rest day. Hubby gets to do the cooking today!!! Girls I think we all need prayers that the good Lord gives us the strenght to bounce back when we overdo ourselves. It's just so hard, knowing that I shouldn't be doing the things I always use to do. And I get stubborn and angry with myself and do it anyway. Then I end up like I was last night. I feel the Lord wants to just knock me in the head, so I'll wake up and realize there are just somethings I should never do anymore. Well pray you have a better day today and will check back later.

Hugs and prayers, Brenda

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  4:02:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi! I have been out of touch latel. Dealing with my own emotions of things and kind of shut down. Not always the best thing to do. Carole, how are you? Brenda, you keep resting and feeling better!! Even if it is just a few of us, we can be here for one another. Storming and hailing bad here right now!!! Blessings to you all, Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  2:12:26 PM  Show Profile
How is everyone doing?

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  06:18:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi Linda -- Thanks for posting. I've been out of the loop too dealing with a lot of things. I tend to shut down when that happens too so I know what you are saying. It all gets overwhelming sometimes. Trying to get estimates to have some work done on the house and that can be stressful when all the decision making and so forth falls on you. I love it when it's done but the doing is difficult. When you wonder if you'll even be in the house in a few years and so forth -- dealing with all the uncertainties -- sometimes I don't know what to do and what not to. Especially in these uncertain economic times.

Hope everyone else is okay.
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  10:30:16 AM  Show Profile
Carole, I completely understand!! I will be thinking of you. The business and legal aspects of caregiving sometimes are even harder than the physical as they are so emotionally draining and cause so much uncertainity and fear of what is the right things to do?? I hope you are doing ok. Stay in touch when you can. Blessings, Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2010 :  07:18:21 AM  Show Profile
Good AM ladies, just checking in to see how all are doing. May we all have the strength to get the things done we need to. God bless, linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Caregivers Chat and Encouragement Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page