Page: of 7

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  04:32:49 AM  Show Profile
Bramble -- what are you making with the old iceskates? Love the aluminum tray -- so retro. Foodsaver -- bargain. Love vintage black and white toile!!! Great fun.

Tasha -- I love stars, too -- and PURPLE -- and other finds, too. In spite of rain, you did real well.

Can't wait to go again!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  05:23:30 AM  Show Profile
Bramble,
Yea whats with the ice skakes? or are they going to be used for skating? I love old trays myself, found two real pretty ones this summer. The material sounds like a really good find,I like that toile print, I just got some wraping paper the other day with a toile print on.I do a lot of embroidery, but how do you do it on a heavy material like a jean jacket? My fingers hurt thinking about it.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  08:35:17 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo, my sister gave me a leather thimble that works really well with heavy material - and where were you in the 60s & 70s when everyone who was anyone was embroidering their jeans? C'mon, girl, fess up! ;-) Great finds, everyone, and YES, Bramble, what's up with the ice skates? And Katie, good job on the Jones NY blazer - woo-hoo! Shop on, Farm Girls!!! Judy

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  09:32:22 AM  Show Profile
LETS SEE 60'S AND 70'S, I don't think I even knew how to embroider then , had 3 small babies running amok, a lot of crazy friends hanging about thinking why not live here. I did make 16 afghans in one year once, to calm my nerves from all the crazy people around me. Then we bought a different house, and my life calmed down and I didn't have to make anymore afghans. So I think it was the house they all liked more then me. I got married when I was 18 and had the three kids before I was 25, so I guess all these so called friends thought since I was their age we had a lot in common.NOT. Anyway, a leather thimble you say, well might even at this late date have to try the jean jacket thing, I have two or three of them, and some jean skirts.IN FACT TO TO STAY ON THE SUBJECT, I GOT ONE OF MY JEAN SKIRTS AT A GARAGE SALE.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  09:37:25 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I have a jean jacket that I have embroidering and drawing on for over 20 years even now and again I wok on it I don't think I will ever get it done. Funny I actually like it half done and wear it that way. You can see the drawing and the embroidery this way. Sounds weird but I like it.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  03:21:05 AM  Show Profile
Bonjour, gal pals!!! Man I have missed ya'll like Stanley missed Livingston! We got back from our northern France gallavanting a few days ago and were zonked....slept like DEAD rocks (even more deep sleep than regular rocks) after a whole day in the car heading south. Beautiful sights though, to keep pointing out to my mom. Our three cats loved her at first sight, although the one that looks like Groucho Marx is a bit standoffish, with everybody but me. AND the weather was depressing Saturday with clouds and drizzle. The town's BIG GARAGE SALE was to be held Sunday (yesterday) and I had been saving my pennies for a month in anticipation. Well, the weather started to clear up a little, blue patches peeking through the clouds, so hubby drove us over to where it was being held. Only a handful of folks with stuff, unfortunately; certainly the damp weather dampened their enthusiasm. ANYWAY, I snagged a (damp) old beaded handbag for only ONE euro, a 10 inch tall rectangular glass jar (1 euro) that I will probably make a moss (Nancy Jo, are you listening?) terrarium with, and a great old vase with a piecrust top edge in my favorite appley green color....got the guy down from 18 to 15 euros for that, which was still a bargain cause it is definitely O.L.D.!! He even threw in the big yellow artificial sunflower stems it was holding for free.... While at hubby's sis in law's country house I gathered some acorns, pinecones and twiggy branches with cool lichens and moss on them.....came into the kitchen with a handful and asked her "Can I have these?" She is used to me now and said of course and then asked what I was going to make with them. Planning on making rustic twig frames and putting old vintage postcards inside. Anyway, a big farm gal e-hug to all you guys; glad to be back on the farm! Nance (temporarily) in France
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  04:12:19 AM  Show Profile
Bonjour, Nance! What fun! Love your garage sale finds -- especially the green vase. And love the lichens, moss, branches, acorns idea. Very cool. Good to hear from you.

How soon do you leave for the U.S.?
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  05:38:12 AM  Show Profile
Glad to have you back, now don't go away again. I Guess you got good deals if I only new what a euro is worth. But good job, I don't care what anyone says you can never have enough foliage, and it sounds like the sister in law won't have as much stuff to rake up this fall. We try to help where ever we go.
Well its Monday I have to do the drawing for the surprise package I'am giving away, have lots of entries, hope whoever gets it likes the stuff. I didn't even know what I was putting in until after I announced the contest, so it was a surprise for me too.
Glad your back. wash your hands.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  06:43:09 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
great fun to hear every ones garage sale finds....and also glad to have nance from france back..the twig frames with vintage postcards sound great! would love to trade some of my little acorns, the regular size ones for a frame.?
i love that idea, nance.
also love the garage saleing in nevada, i will be making a trip to nevada in december also for a wedding, think i will try to talk dh into making a grand tour of thrift shops on the way and back.
keep salein'

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  02:26:14 AM  Show Profile
Bonjour, my soul sistahs! Nancy Jo, my hands are clean as I type this....really. I just came in from hanging the laundry and potting up a few pansies!! And right now, a Euro (the european version of a dollar) is equal to $1.30, so it is stronger than the US dollar. Kati-Ell, mom and I take the train for Paris on Monday realllyyyy early in the morning and fly into Chicago and then home to Norfolk on Tuesday, Oct 3rd. So I gotta get my girlfriend fix here at the farm this week since I will be computerless for several days. Frannie, you're on gal pal. I can make a twiggy frame with vintage card for you.....will wait til I get back to Norfolk though, unless I wore it home on the planes like a funky square tiara I doubt it would ship from France to Texas intact .....hope it ships well from Norfolk. Oh what the heck, it is supposed to be rustic, for crying out loud, so if a twig snaps en route, we do have superglue to the rescue... Anyway, so glad to be back with you guys again, and look forward to the continuing saga of our Sale-ing adventures! Nance
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  03:59:31 AM  Show Profile
Nance -- When you are at O'Hare airport in Chicago, give a wave in the northeast direction -- I'm only about 16 minutes away!! Katie
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  2:07:05 PM  Show Profile
Sooooooooooooooo many wonderful finds ladies!
But what caught my eye was YOU Nance, coming into O'hare (practically in my backyard)! And then off to Norfolk...where my bff moved only 5 months ago. One question...is there room in your carrry on bag?
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  02:59:17 AM  Show Profile
Katie-Ell, maybe I ought let out a yell when I am waving like a madwoman in your direction. We have a SEVEN HOUR layover so I will have plenty of time to wave. And Rhonda, come on gal, I can close my eyes and tell Security you are my seeing eye friend. I am not really savvy to all these internet shorthand doo dads, though, so am thinking that bff is something like boyfriend or best friend?? Somebody once told me "they're dragging you kicking and screaming into the 21st century!"!! Enlighten me, somebody!! Nance
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  07:33:28 AM  Show Profile
I went to my first auction on MOnday with my Amish neighbors! Annie, Linda and I piled into my car and off we went. We had the best time. Annie got an enormous trunk, four chairs for their kitchen table, a dresser, and two small tables. I got a table for my kitchen with two leaves for it! How did we get all this home? We had to call my son to come pick everything up with his truck....and we still had to make another trip! The three of us sat in the front seat of my car because the backseat and trunk were filled! I was so impressed with the auction and how smoothly it ran! And the furniture! I love antiques and older furniture. The three of us plan on going to another auction in October. This time, we're just going to take Jamies truck to it and forget about taking the car! Susan
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  07:40:04 AM  Show Profile
Oooo! Susan, you had an amazing day!! Lovely old furniture . . . and going with your neighbors . . . all good!!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  08:02:16 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like you had a fun day Susan, do you have to do anything to your new table or is it ready to use? What is your friend Annie going to do with her trunk? I have been to a few auctions, but I'am always afraid I will shoo a fly away during the bidding and then have to come home and sell my house.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  9:01:33 PM  Show Profile
Ran into another estate sale while I was out running errands today... I just love looking at all the stuff, and being that it was Sunday, probably all the "good" stuff was gone. I'm kinda kicking myself for not taking the Zenith sewing machine in a cabinet, with instruction book and such for $20 (it was marked $40 but everything was half off on Sunday...yeah, I'm kicking myself!). Oh well. I did get some linens and a chrome kitchen chair with red seat and back (40s-50s vintage) for $2.50 and a funky straw bag that is just right to carry knitting around in and a black leather jacket for $5...in really good condition. I had been thinking that it seems everyone has a black leather jacket of some sort, and I really should see what all the fuss is about, but I just didn't want to pay the price. Well, for $5 I felt like I could take the plunge. I also found a 40s vintage apron pattern and how-to book for knitting, crochet, tatting and embroidery. Anyhow, lots of entertainment for less than $20! I was kinda surprised that there wasn't a fabric stash, but it maybe went on Saturday, if it was there. Hmm. Just as well.
And Nancy, I know there's a separate post, but I'm glad you're okay too! I actually called my friend in Tonawanda the morning of the storm, thinking she couldn't possibly have gone to work, but no answer. I think she was at her mom's or sister's. I gotta try to call her tomorrow.
Shop on, FarmGirls! Judy

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  10:05:51 PM  Show Profile
Sorry...I hadn't looked at this post for awhile (obviously...) or I would have answered your questions about the skates and embroidering on denim. The white ladies ice skates are to be cleaned up, polished and then I will paint a little sprig of holly, evergreen and mistletoe on the part that would rest above your ankle. Then you lace them up with some gorgeous flowing red or gingham ribbon and tuck fresh greens in the top. I use holly, cedar, rhododendron, ivy and if having a party maybe some fresh red roses or carnations with the greens (a canning jar fits quite nicely inside if you do fresh flowers. Hang them from your antique sled, front door or banister
for fun. Everytime I think everyone I could possibly make these for must have them, someone new comes along and wants a pair!
As for the jean jacket...I embroider with a crewel needle ( thicker,
curvier and with a point) and use my leather quilters thimble (reinforced with metal inside) for the tough spots. Denim is actually pretty easy to embroider on I think, it's silky fabrics that give me the fits! Bed is calling...sorry for the time gap in reply! Tomorrow
the report on weekend yard saling...it was VERY good!

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Oct 23 2006 08:54:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  08:52:41 AM  Show Profile
On the way to the Cranberry Festival, the road to town was lined with yard/antique sales! oooo la la! Here's my haul: One 36 X 36" square filigree iron table (that matches the chairs I already have on the side porch)$20.00, one Longaberger basket purse in box never used (a gift for my Longaberger crazy best friend ($40.00). Next stop one pottery bird feeder for small birds ($2.00),
salt glaze pitcher ($3.00), a large bag of linens (w/5 crochet yokes to old style nighties/ and two petticoats w/sweet handmade lace hems!- $2.00!), one small green stamped calico cat stuffed with balsam (1.00), a New England style hanging lantern (electric)(3.00),
and a Radio flyer wheeled horse (scoot toy)$5.00.,a box of old woodworking clamps for DH 5.00, an antique picture frame carved w/pinecone corners(1.00),a piece of an old velvet crazy quilt w/ nice embroidery(2.00). This was so much fun! My friends and I came away with a day filled with friendship, good food and lots of treasures! One of the girls got a brand new bread maker for $5.00!
We look forward to this every year and save our pennies because we know that each year we uncover some wonderful stuff and don't want to be broke when we do! Several husbands were called to "relocate" furniture acquisitions ( a hutch, and some ladderback chairs)!Those good sports were rewarded with fudge,cranberry bread and pumpkin bisque soup, so they didn't grumble too loudly! Wish you all could have joined us, the more the merrier!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  11:56:08 AM  Show Profile
Bonjour, Bramble! My oh my you DID score big time didn't you? And I love your idea for the white skates and can just see them propped near the door or a beautiful fireplace. And Judy, stop kicking yourself! You need to be in top physical condition to run to the NEXT sale!! I passed up a good buy at a flea market in France last month, and although I didn't resort to self-inflicted pain, it was DAYS before I could get myself to stop thinking about passing up something I should have snatched up! Nance
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  3:20:45 PM  Show Profile
YES those buyer regret things hang with you awhile, been there many times. But on we go and we will find more good stuff. Bramble you had yourself a good ole time. Wish I could have been there. I really need a good estate sale or garage sale. Now that the weather here is SOMEWHAT under control I will try and get to the thrift store this week, thats usually good for calming me down somewhat
Nance, nice to see you about, still going across the street to hook up? Whats the details on being in the states? I think what I understand is that you have your own house but go to your moms sometimes? Well who takes care of your house when you are in France? See where I'AM going with this, I could ask a hundred questions, like where do you keep your cereal?
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  10:06:28 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Bramble, I think you get the prize this week - such cool stuff, and the bags of goodies - linens & lace - the horsey toy - the table - ooh! There was a big garage sale at our fair grounds on Saturday that I made myself stay away from (I really _did_ have yard work and house work that just had to get done!) and I think that's why I was led to the estate sale on Sunday...And I'm thinking there probably wouldn't have been too much vintage stuff at the big community garage sale - or worse - there would have been TOO much stuff...I keep telling myself I need to get my basement organized so I can get my Christmas crafts and cards done - time's a-wastin' and it'll never get done if I keep goin out junkin'! Good job again, Bramble, and Nancy Jo - get out to the thrift store! FarmGirl Hugs! Judy

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  10:46:36 PM  Show Profile
2 weeks ago I was driving into town and a fellow had a flat bed i n his drive-way with various items with remarkable prices. One was a victorian type bed frame and he wanted 10dollars. He had a jug for money and was nowhere . So I went on into town to get some money and when I got back he had pulled the flatbed iinto his yard and had the gate closed. To me closed gates mean don't come in. I came back a few days later and the flatbed was still in his yard but the gate was open so I got real brave and went on in. I asked about the bed and it is a trundle bed and he wanted 10 but would take 5. It was in excellent shape not a scratch on it. I said great but I didn't have any money on me and he said take it and when you have the money bring it back. I said I did have a scratch ticket with 2 dollars on it. He said fine and we loaded up the bed in my truck and now I have a beautiful trundle bed. I think I done good!!

Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  11:54:18 PM  Show Profile
Mary Beth,
That is one of the most unusual Garage sales I have heard of. But a great buy.What are you going to do with the bed? Maybe you could post us a picture. I will have to be on the lookout for flatbed trucks, maybe its a new sales trend that I'am not aware of.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  07:01:44 AM  Show Profile
I put up pictures of my thrifting finds on my blog yesterday.....got some pretty amazing stuff, IMHO.....I love it!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Across the Fence: Previous Topic MY GARAGE SALE FINDS Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page