Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  09:23:55 AM  Show Profile
Good grief! We need to rub MaryBeth's head for good luck!! What a score, and bravo, girlfriend! Doesn't it just make the rest of your day zippy when you pick up something you love at a bargain? And Nancy Jo, yep, I still step across the street to get online. Sunny chilly and breezy so I may have to force myself to get cracking out in the garden again. My girlfriend across the street looks out for my home while we are living in France. I am thrilled to report that my youngest son is moving back from Sarasota in February and will live at home, at least for awhile. I am hosting a foreign college student also, and his rent helps with my household bills, too, gives the house that lived-in look, so it's all good!! My parents live in Virginia Beach which is only about a 15 minute car ride so she and I go gallavanting occasionally. It is wonderful getting reacquainted with all my treasures and books and music!! And I am getting ready to have my OWN yard sale in two weekends, so ya'll come on down!!!!!!!!

P.S. I don't have any cereal, but it would be on top of the fridge, most likely.
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  09:39:55 AM  Show Profile
Marybeth, that is hillarious!! Pay a guy with a scratch ticket!! Oh that I would happen on a sale like that.

We are going up to Hackensack this afternoon to a thrift store after we go visit Rob and go to the park....

I love cold weather thrifting just like I love warm weather garage sale-ing....

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  09:20:19 AM  Show Profile
I found a great green ceremic plant pot for free in my apartment building's laundry room last night. We have a table down there where people put stuff they don't want; sort of a community exchange. Last week I got a practically-brand new winter coat also!

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  09:29:03 AM  Show Profile
My daugter is a great garage saler. She finds neat stuff and clothes her growing boys (ages 6@8). To get them out of the 'I want' stage they save their pennies to buy their own stuff and now you should see how selective they can be when they have to spend their own money. They also have to work at home doing extra stuff for their pennies so I think it is a good lesson all the way around.

Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we may as well dance!

Edited by - Marybeth on Oct 29 2006 10:41:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  09:30:22 AM  Show Profile
WOW, I think I would be making a lot of trips to the laundry room.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  8:04:04 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, I finally got a digital camera and a blog spot and am going to put a picture of the bed there. It didn't have any knobs on the posts and I found some porcelain ones with flowers painted on them. My grandson is here now and he is going to put the pictures on my blog thingie. I did have to buy a matress for the bed and my little grandson calls it his guest bed.

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  10:37:52 PM  Show Profile
had a great day garage saling today..my hubby and I found some lovely antique burl wood furniture..a buffet with mirror in absolutely gorgeous shape..I'd say about 1930's -1940's and then a large burl wood wardrobe...yay!

both pieces have those old skeleton type keys to open them..what fun!

then.. all for just $10...I found an old milk pail, a blue ball jar with aluminum lid, a comb set from Paris..(dunno how old but in a leather case),a hand painted old bird figurine of cardinals with a baby cardinal in nest..a book on coastal gardening,a tiny Japanese style tea cup and saucer,and a bottle that looks like it was an old glass ketchup bottle..but it sort of looks like a fancy milk bottle...and a lidded basket that resembles a fishing basket with leather handles...all of those things for just $10..wow

Then at another garage sale I found 6 beautiful little girl's jumpers and dresses all for just $3.00

So..I think I did pretty good! I had fun, my husband had fun..and it was a succesful day..we now have 2 pieces of gorgeous furniture too.

Oh..and the lady that had the milk pail and other primitive style items..will be calling me when she goes to clean out her storage unit full of more items like today's finds..only..when she calls me..I get first dibs on a huge bunch of linens and aprons and so forth before she has another garage sale.....ooh how cool! can't wait!!!

oh..and I won some aprons on ebay this morning!! two from 1920's, one from 1914, and another from the 40's or 50's..so fun!

Funny thing..my husband was like" here we buy gorgeous furniture today..and I know you really like the furniture honey..but boy did your face really light up when you saw the milk pail!" I just laughed and said.."must be my farmgirl coming out" :0)

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Nov 04 2006 10:41:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  01:51:55 AM  Show Profile
Tina,
My goodness Tina, you do win the garage sale award this week.I bet you can hardly wait until that lady calls you to come back. You are lucky that you can go to garage sales all year where you live. Wish I could see pictures of all your good stuff.Going to garage sales up here is a loooooong way off.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  01:57:07 AM  Show Profile
MARY BETH,
I looked at your new web site and love that bed, what are people thinking when they give up such a pretty thing? Good luck with your web site, I think they can be a lot of fun. I just wish I could figure out how to post pictures and add design. My Grandaughter posted the ones I have so far.I need a farmgirl to come show me.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  05:03:53 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
all these wonderful finds are making me want to go salein'. i love looking at yalls blogspots. tasha your site is so interesting and you family is adorable, your children are too cute. but i love the jackolantern photo looks like a picture for a postcard or greeting card, good job.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  1:07:10 PM  Show Profile
I'll try to get some pictures soon.

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  5:24:00 PM  Show Profile
o.k. got some pictures snapped real fast of this weeks garage sale finds.

http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k170/TinaMichelle_2006/

the picture with the milk pail and basket..all those things in the picture were $10

then there is a large wardrobe, burl wood..we got that at a steal for just $265.00
and the buffet..(minus all my decor..:0) we got for $375.00 so I think both of those fine items were good deals.

good sturdy stuff that has been around about 70 yrs or so already and still looks gorgeous.

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  6:11:38 PM  Show Profile
TINA,
loved the pictures, what great stuff, don't you just love your new funiture? What did you have there before? Guess you picked the right day to go saleing.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  05:47:24 AM  Show Profile
Tina,
What a bunch of awesome finds!!! I love the buffet! And the tea towel...did you make that? I would love to trade you for one. Do you buy the fabric and cut the towel size out. I bought some transfers this weekend to embroider some sets of towels, but couldn't find the towels.
Have a great day!
Bonnie

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  06:22:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi Bonnie,
yes I buy the tea dyed type of muslin and just embroider the words on the towel then paint the chicken on there and add a little red floss bow. . I sew the edges..cut it out the size of some of my terry cloth kitchen towels..and then add a little bit of lace.
It's not really fancy...just found the little chicken online..and decided to change it a wee bit.I loved the way it was kicking it's leg up..ha..like a proud/cool chick...and then I thought..how cute it would look as a tea towel..so I came up with the little saying to go with it. ..ha.

well..in my dining room there was nothing up against the wall other than my dining room table and a jelly cabinet..so now I'm having to do some rearranging..but I certainly like the look better now.
And in the master bedroom there was a small table and a rocking chair..but in there I have to totally rearrange everything to get the room to work now..so yes..I have a bit of work to do now to get everything to fit and look like I feel it needs to.

~Tina

Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  11:29:50 AM  Show Profile
Tina, high five, gal pal! And I am pretty sure I dropped that comb set in Paris, so maybe you oughta just send it along.....ha! Congrats on the BIG score! Nance
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  12:19:44 PM  Show Profile
Nance, that is exactly what I thought when I saw that Tina had a French comb. You must be more careful with your things!!
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  08:08:18 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo, I probably dropped 'my' comb set while bending over to pluck an errant patch of moss out of the crack in the sidewalk, so you're right; I must be more careful......Nance
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  09:51:59 AM  Show Profile
LOL you gals are funny,the comb set has a tortoise colored comb and a mirror in it. :0) a picture of the eiffel tower on the front.

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  10:19:37 AM  Show Profile
YEP. Thats the one, right Nance?
NANCY JO