JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2006 :  8:23:04 PM  Show Profile
Ooh, ooh, Katie, I know this one - your picture if of St. Anthony. He was a Franciscan monk and is associated with lilies, for purity I think, and he is frequently shown holding the Christ Child. Too cool!And the Dutch Girls too - it would be hard to part with them, eh? But if it was for your sis, you could still see them from time to time.
Nancy, my tenant was _supposed_ to move in today, but he was out of town and just got back at 8 PM so he'll move in tomorrow. Yeah, I couldn't believe the bedding - the comfortor/shams/ruffle seem like they weren't hardly used at all. And "all that furniture" is actually all one piece - which is nice cause the extra room isn't all that big - and that's why it's especially cool to have found that. I took a picture of the room and if it turns out and if I can get it on a disk when I get it developed, I can post it. That's a lot of ifs, you know :-) I'm glad you found your Northern Girl prints - I've never really seen them, only on the toilet paper wrappers, but they sure are cute! Well, off to beddy-bye! Have fun! Judy

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  05:36:40 AM  Show Profile
Judy -- Thanks so much for the info on Saint Anthony! I'm now reading a bit about him . . . . I love the picture more now that I know who it is. May keep it as well.

My husband is amazed at the info I get from this site from all you FarmGirls. Isn't it fun??
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  07:14:38 AM  Show Profile
a little late joining this thread, but just had to jump in. I think that 90% of my home decor are garage sale finds, no kidding.
At the beginning of the summer I set out on my garage saleing, thinking, I sure would like a nice bakers rack for all of my Witchy concoctions, and some of my tea cups and trays (have a serious obsession with serving trays). That day I drove up to a sale, got out and lo and behold, for FIVE DOLLARS!!!!! I got a HUGE bakers rack. I'll take a picture in a bit. I have also gotten a plethora of linens and feedsacks and cheese cloths and and and and and through the whole summer. GS season is over here for the year, but I cannot wait until Spring!!!

"I would not interfere with any creed of yours or want to appear that I have all the cures. There is so much to know...so many things are true. The way my feet must go may not be best for you. And so I give this spark of what is light to me, to guide you through the dark, but not tell you
what you must see."
-Author Unknown

"Contradiction is not a sign of falsity, nor the lack of contradiction a sign of truth."
— Blaise Pascal

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  07:24:58 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
to GalasRose
Garage sale season may be ending but thrift shop season is just begining.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  08:56:56 AM  Show Profile
and we have a great one two towns over that is my favorite year round.....ugh I love it!!!!

"I would not interfere with any creed of yours or want to appear that I have all the cures. There is so much to know...so many things are true. The way my feet must go may not be best for you. And so I give this spark of what is light to me, to guide you through the dark, but not tell you
what you must see."
-Author Unknown

"Contradiction is not a sign of falsity, nor the lack of contradiction a sign of truth."
— Blaise Pascal

Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  3:02:13 PM  Show Profile
As promised, here is the picture of the baker's rack I got for five dollars

and I didn't get this at a garage sale but....

it has a great story. It belonged to the mother of my MIL's best friend down in Iowa, on a big old Iowa farm. SHe used it for 40 something years and it is in immaculate condition. There are 6 chairs but the 6th is downstairs as we employ a high chair for Zoe. I am going to make pretty shabby chic slip covers for the chairs so as to keep the vinyl in tact. The table is formica and has 2 leaves which are in it in the picture. I cannot wait to see how it looks once our carpet is ripped up and we restore the wood floors underneath....Just wanted to share!

what you must see."
-Author Unknown

— Blaise Pascal

Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  3:23:58 PM  Show Profile
Tasha,
very nice and aren't you the lucky one getting a table from I would guess the 1940s, and your bakers rack is holding all kinds of good stuff. love seeing pictures of what everyone has.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  09:01:52 AM  Show Profile
Tasha, the bakers rack is great - and I love that you have herbs drying from it! I'm not the only one who hangs them from everyplace! And the table & chairs are wonderful - but I really like seeing the corner hutch with all the rest of the Magnolia dishes in it - I can see my teacup's siblings...Thanks for sharing!
And Nancy - I _did_ take the doors off one of my kitchen cabinets last weekend and now I have a colorful display - it really looks good (to my eyes & heart, anyhow) so thanks for the idea! Judy

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  09:44:53 AM  Show Profile
YEA!! JUDY.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  12:14:41 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
taish-rose,
thanks so much for sharing, i think the bakers rack was a giant score, i am so jealous and i dont even have anyplace to put it!
the table and chairs are wonderful as well, i do not understand how folks kept everything in such pristine condition, one of the reasons i shop 2nd hand is cause it takes some of the pressure off when you get that first"stain". i dont know, maybe its just me, i'm kinda like the original linus.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  12:24:35 PM  Show Profile
ha ha....it was funny because just yesterday Grace was painting her fingernails and she spilled a little bit of red polish on the table top. I discovered only after the fact and it was dry and I had to scrape it off. I mockingly said "We just can't have nice things!!!" Rob laughed.

what you must see."
-Author Unknown

— Blaise Pascal

Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  12:40:55 PM  Show Profile
Just had to go to the thrift shop today, and I'am glad I did. Got about 8 skeins of yarn, two really nice baskets, a very well made bird house, not used, it has a winter scene painted on the sides,also got a real cute little wooden sled, I'AM GOING TO DECOPAGE it with snow men, then will put the bird house and the sled on the front porch for winter. A nice wooden bowl, I love wooden bowls, I have a small antique chest of drawers in the kitchen, going to put it on that and put my hand embroidered linen napkins in it. Which I just started today, and I must say I love working on the linen, its so soft that the needle just slides right through, and boy do I have a lot of these napkins. Lets see what else, two zip lock bags full of older but never used christmas post cards, note cards and other seasonal cards. Love paper stuff. And a big framed print of a buffalo in the snow, thought it would be nice for my son in laws hunting cabin. The thing is, it says on the back custom framed by Joann's fabric store, well that alone was probably at least 40 dollars, I paid 3.98 for it. One last thing, aren't you glad this is almost over? A tin tray, yellow with fruit on, love those old tole trays.OK YOU CAN GO NOW.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  9:15:26 PM  Show Profile
I think I'm gonna have a sale towards the end of the month. Wanna come Nancy? ;)

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  11:31:37 PM  Show Profile
Rhonda, would love to come!! I might be a little late.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2006 :  07:27:27 AM  Show Profile
OK: Garage sale finds on Friday: Two boxes of vintage Santa bobblehead placecard holders -- wooden, painted, little 'fur' beards -- oh, so cute. Will resell at our consignment shop at Christmastime. Also a linen lamp shade; a vintage photocard of a young child; six woven placemats still in wrapper in 'my' green; a pumpkin candle, still in wrapping; handfuls of embroidery floss and that lovely pearl floss stuff; BUTTONS!; three ink stamps (one is Post Card -- that one's for me -- the others are a cute, overstuffed sofa, and a lace-edged design for the flap of an envelope -- those are for my stampin' sis). Also -- Salvation Army -- a green Syracuse cereal bowl for my bite-size Shredded Wheats; a beautiful Telluride Clothing Co long-sleeved silk blouse in fall sage green with little leaves; AND -- my fav: a satin-glass boudoir lamp with little pink rosebuds painted on it. A fun day!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2006 :  08:42:35 AM  Show Profile
Good for you sale day Katie, I think I would like that little lamp you got, with the weather changing I think us die hard garage sale girls will be spending more time at these thrift shops.
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2006 :  10:11:13 AM  Show Profile
I went to a new antique shop in town and found some beautiful doilies and a COWBELL for my son!! Does anyone know of the Saturday Night Live skit with Christopher Walkin "Needs More Cowbell"?? Well Jason just loves his cowbell and he and his girlfriend keep it in the car. Whoever is not driving plays the cowbell to the music on the radio as they drive around. Sure wish I could see these shenanigans!!!

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2006 :  10:37:06 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE the Christopher Walkin 'Cowbell' skit -- that's with Will Ferrell on cowbell, right? Hilarious! Your son and his gf are too much -- love the humor of our kids. So fun!
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2006 :  10:45:48 AM  Show Profile
Yup, that's the one. Isn't it halarious?!? I just love it.

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2006 :  12:09:15 PM  Show Profile
Nancy -- I love the little lamp, too! And this time of the year I'm always drawn to lamps -- to cast a warm circle of light in the home . . . as days grow shorter . . . . So I'm pleased as punch to find this little one.
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  1:51:55 PM  Show Profile
Okay, FarmGirls, here's my thrift store take while I was in California last weekend. We were in Nevada City for my nephew's wedding which was sooooo much fun ~ they were married at a camp outside of town, and the reception was wild and wooly, with dancing inside the lodge and the campfire outside. It was nice and cool, probably high 40s after sundown and going between the lodge & campfire, truly the "mud and the blood and the beer" - nothing too rowdy, but fun! Anyhow. Friday after browsing through the shops in Nevada City, I went serious thrifting. Had to go to the next town over for thrift shops, or so I was told, and hit a Salvation Army and American Cancer Society. There was a "potluck" supper set for the camp Friday night, and I had gotten some cheeses and olives at the farmer's market in N.City in the morning, and then I decided I should look for some serving plates... as long as I was shopping. So I found this cute rectangle plate with some peach & pink flowers and a cherub's head that was molded in the plate - no markings on the back, but vintage. I also got a souvenier towel set from Germany, with a towel & 3 pot holders, all with recipes on them; an embroidered dresser cloth; a mini-ceramic mousie (I have a thing for mini-critters - I just love the ones you get in Red Rose tea) and a mini-ceramic stove, it's one of a salt & pepper set, but only the one; also a string of mini-baskets & hats & fans & stuff from Mexico - I can use the baskets for dollies - this was only $1 and I usually see mini-baskets at Michael's for about $.50; some old fancy plastic toothpicks in their box that I wanted for the olives. At the ACS store, I found vintage linens - 5 days of the week embroidered flour sack towels - some are quite worn, but I will transfer the embroidery to new towels and then use the vintage fabric for doll clothes; I got a glass divided dish in a leaf shape for the olives and two cheese knives; a framed print of the Matilja poppy (this is the one from the movie Zorro which Zorro used to place in his daughter's crib before she was kidnapped...it grows in Calif where I used to live and I love it-has a really nice scent); two books; 3 packages of vintage mini-rick-rack unopened; all in all a good haul. I did find a thrift store in Nevada City, and they were having a 15th birthday sale, but don't you know, I couldn't find anything I could really get - they didn't have really much in the way of linens or small knick-knacks so I went away empty handed from there. *Sigh* But did okay, I think. Saturday morning as we were walking back to the motel from breakfast, there was a yard sale and I got a woven cape-like wrap, it has armholes and a shawl collar - very nice and warm to wear around the house on cool evenings as well as out. Then Sunday I drove over to Vacaville to visit with a friend there and she gave me fabric out of her stash - so happy, happy!!! Well, sorry this is long - it's just so fun finding cool junks! Happy hunting - what did anyone find this weekend? Judy

Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  6:29:49 PM  Show Profile
Salvation Army find: Jones New York blazer, still with tags on it (with original MSRP $208.00), my price $8.00! ohmy ohmy ohmy. No garage sales here this weekend; just severe weather and lots of rain. Good thing we just finished our new roof -- 1/2 hour before the storms came. Looking forward to next weekend's garage sales.

Judy, I love that you went thrifting when out of town. That's so fun -- and such cute and fun things you found -- especially the mini rick rack.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  7:10:34 PM  Show Profile
Glad you guys got out and got some good stuff. I couldn't go this weekend, but will get to the thrift store during the comming week. You both got some good stuff, I really miss when I CAN'T GO.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  7:10:56 PM  Show Profile
Judy- You have quite a haul there! Plus the wedding, glad you had such fun!

Katie- VERRRY NICE!

Rained off and on today but on the way to the bank I spotted a yard sale moved into the garage and stopped. Bought three pairs of ice
skates (2 white womens(craft project), 1 pr Bauer mens for $5.00 TOTAL!), and a cute round, fluted aluminum tray with a twisty handle and a plate inset in the bottom (cream colored with a pastel spray of flowers) for $2.00! And a food saver machine for 5.00!!!
GW yielded a very interesting single curtain of vintage black and white toile that will make beautiful bolster pillows (I think!)and
a jean jacket I am going to embroider on for 1.99! Not a bad day "junking"!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  7:43:03 PM  Show Profile
We went out and about, found a few things....an apron, of course, a movie, a tree topping star (I love stars), a pretty purple sweater, a vintage table runner, I cant remember what else right now....it was a fun rainy day.

Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Across the Fence: Previous Topic MY GARAGE SALE FINDS Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page