Page: of 7

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2006 :  6:39:36 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I don't think that is the type of sale people mean when they say hurricane sale. But good finds all the same.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2006 :  8:47:47 PM  Show Profile
Well, I have been waiting for a farm sale all week that is on one of our main roads. They have had a sign out all week and I have been greatly aniticipating going. It was well worth the wait. Holy Cow!! There was so much cool stuff I didn't know what to grab first. My pile kept getting bigger and bigger and I think I was making my 7yr old nervous because he kept talking about how much everything would cost and said, "what if it's a hundred dollars?". Which is like a million to a child. haha There were boxes and boxes of craft supplies, old furniture, vintage finds, tools, garden stuff, old pails and apple baskets. Here's what I left with for 35.00.

Two vintage talc tins
2 milk glass sherbet dishes
vintage milinary odds and ends
tons and tons of beads
4 vintage hankies in the original boxes(never used)
an antique apholstered chair(will be so cute slip covered!)
a lot box of glass glitters, and little odds and ends
wire basket with handles
a little hanging rack with metal clips
4 old galvanized buckets
garden spade
pitch fork
hatchet
pliers
hoe
4 games for the kids
vintage embroidered towel
little fuzzy chicks for kids craft
a big box of vintage christmas ornaments and misc.

They said they have tons more and will have more out tomorrow. I love those kinds of sales and my son was very relieved with the final total and thrilled with his goodies including an extra box of craft stuff that the lady threw in for him for free. too fun!!

Blessings and happy junking!!

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
http://LamargueriteFarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  02:27:11 AM  Show Profile
Missy, I am SPEECHLESS (well, almost). You really hit the farm sale treasure trove, and how great your little boy lucked out also. I am inspired!! Playing with your new "toys" will keep you happily busy for DAYS! Great job, Nance
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  03:30:56 AM  Show Profile
Sleepless -- It's my goal to find clothes that FIT at a garage sale! I recently shed lbs. and have no clothes that fit properly anymore, so I've been buying a stray pair of jeans or two at the Salvation army. But to find DRESSES -- oh, that's just wonderful. Love the gal-daughter finding stuff, too. Teach em young!

Bramble - the weather is never (well hardly ever) too bad for a trip to Goodwill. Love all your finds -- especially lamps -- as we lose daylight, I just love turning on a lamp here and there to cast lovely light in the evening. How fun to have those new ones . . . and love your idea for bittersweet and fall foliage --- real bittersweet is a real treasure in my book.

Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  03:32:38 AM  Show Profile
Missy gets this week's prize for Top Finder of Cool Stuff. Vintage millinery?? O my.o my o my o my.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  05:07:56 AM  Show Profile
OK girls, this week I have to just read about all the good stuff out there that you are all finding and I'am not. No sales for me this week, at least so far, I might have to make a quick trip to the thrift store just to make up for a no sale week. We just didn't have any to speak of around here, lots of rain and the holiday weekend.
But sure love reading about what you all got. Missy does seem to be in the lead this week!! and another day to go on that same sale, lucky you.
Bramble, nice to have you back, with the number of posts you have, you have a lot invested in this site. What great stuff you got at your thrift shop, liked that find of the oil lamp bases, green even.
Well if I should happen to find some item or items worth reporting as the day goes along, you will all be the first to know.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  05:48:19 AM  Show Profile
BRAMBLE,
I have to get out more, what is bittersweet? Yes I could look on google but would rather have your take on it.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  05:52:36 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
wow lots of stuff and I can't look oh well that is life have fun ladies

my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  07:03:17 AM  Show Profile
WOW Missy! You did hit the motherlode! Good yardsale karma :)

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  12:28:35 PM  Show Profile
I've had lots of fun going through all of my treasures. My son and I did some beads last night and today we are going to try out his new games. Right now my garden is calling me. It's been too darn hot lately to spend any time there. Yesterday was a blast!! Wish you girls could have been there. It's always fun to share the experience with a fellow "junker"!!

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
http://LamargueriteFarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  2:00:58 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
this is my favorite thread,
i have not been able to garge sale lately, it has been way too hot and ihave been very busy with the grandkids.
but....saturday nite my dh and i had a few hours off and he took me out to eat for our anniversary,14 years, and as we were headed home he pulled into the goodwill parking lot and said, lets hunt for some treasures. we had 30 minutes and the store to ourselves.
nothing exciting to report but for me it was a sweet surprise. i like when the dh does something that you know he's doing just cause he still like to surprise you and make you happy. it almost makes up for the goofy man things he does that makes me think he doesnt have a clue!
in the meantime, i have enjoyed all the sales you girls have been to and the great finds.
even if im a little jealous. but the weather is cooling down a little here and i know the sales will be there again, and i will feel better about going when its not so hot.
in the meantime i guess i just have to be patient and read about all the treasures that the farmgirls are bringin home.
love
fran
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  2:32:41 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, nice to see a post from you again, your turn is coming, I just know it, the weather down there will cool down and garage sales will be popping up. I didn't get to go this weekend either, but sure was fun reading what some of the girls were able to get.
Will be looking for my pony this coming week, and will mail you a check. I don't understand why the mail seems to be taking so long lately, seems to be getting slower then faster, and for this day in age that seems a little odd.
Still looking forward to more pictures of the things you make, so when you get time put them up. What a sweet DH to stop at the thrift store for you, and HAPPY 14TH ANIVERSERY!!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  3:02:15 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
wow frannie you only have one year on me and hubby we will celebrate 13 in dec

Edited by - sunshine on Sep 03 2006 9:04:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  8:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
thanks for the congrats, nancy jo. we have been married 14 years, i tell my dh it is 7 of the happiest years of my life. he is very competitive and i think he takes this remark as a personal challenge. he loves garge sales, thrift stores, auctions, etc. so i am lucky with that.
this is husband number 2 for me, sunshine so that accounts for us being "newlyweds" and seniors citizens at the same time. my first marriage lasted 17 years, but it was probably only 3 happy years, so country, my dh is doing a pretty good job!
i guess you could say i've been married 31 years, just not to the same man.
love to all, i will be posting new pics this week, i hope.
love,
fran
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  11:53:54 AM  Show Profile
The Labor Day yardsales, flea markets, crafts fairs, and antiques were just fabulous! What a beautiful day it was. My husband, son, grandson, and I started out at 7:30am. We all had some money in our pockets, and we were looking for bargains. I got two area rugs, six burgundy mugs, a John Deere tricycle for Brody ($3!), two Little Tykes trucks for him, a beautiful burgundy homespun tablecloth, and several novels. My husband got a Bob Dylan CD, and Jamie got a Playstation for $15 (yes, it works!) and a baseball hat! We were home in time to put Brody down for his afternoon nap. He was exhausted! All in all we had a fun filled day and a couple of hotdogs to boot! Susan
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  12:15:09 PM  Show Profile
Susan, sounds like you had a successful day! Congrats on the goodies! I didn't get to any garage sales, but stopped in two of my thrift stores and got some goodies-an enamel cook pot (no lid, but that's ok), 6 embroidered napkins (new) with Scottish theme, 2 linen dish towels - one from Ireland and one from Scotland (I love it when people go on vacation and get these things and don't know what to do with them!), a bag of buttons-nothing special, really, but I needed some small ones for doll eyes, 2 _nice_ pieces of fabric that I will use for curtains in my breakfast nook-they are 2 yards each and are just the color I wanted and only $3 each! Oh, I got a little wooden box with a rooster on two sides and my 'tag line' saying (see below) on the other two sides - I just had to have it!!! I found a woolen scarf made in Scotland, matches a royal blue coat I have and will be nice come winter. Also a Debbie Mumm Christmas print apron-doesn't look like it was ever used. So that was fun! And it also occurred to me that I'm going to be in Nevada City, CA for my nephew's wedding next week and then visit my friend in Sacramento, so guess what I'm gonna be doing? Checking out "foreign" thrift stores! Woo-hoo!!! Shop on, Farm Girls! Judy

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  12:20:33 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like you had a great day, and mugs and a tablecloth that match! Nothing like garage sales for kids toys, they almost give them away. Not to mention books, I have gotten so many over the years and didn't have to pay much at all.looking forward to going this weekend, not much going on here last week because of labor day.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  12:31:07 PM  Show Profile
JUDITH,
I'am very jealous!!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2006 :  9:25:28 PM  Show Profile
Tee-Hee, Nancy! I'll be thinking of you and channeling your hunting spirit! I also got to go out today and get a few things, but I mainly needed a dresser for a room I am renting to a college student. My friend spied a really cool piece - it is all-in-one: about 30" wide, 6' tall and has two shelves, then a drop-leaf desk/writing area (with even a light that works) and then 3 drawers. So I figure 3 drawers are enough for a guy and the desk is good for a student and a couple shelves! It was $99 but it is Thomasville, and in really good shape - wood, not press-board. And we even squeezed it in my van then Gail helped me get it in the house with the aid of my dolly. We stopped at my church rummage sale and I got a nice painting of two dogs in a nice frame, a complete fondue pot set (I've seen lots of articles about the return of the fondue and it made me want to do it again...) and a few other things, and the rummage sale was half-price today (so, $2.50 for the fondue pot!). Also, on the way home last night, I stopped in one of my haunts and got a set of full sheets & pillow cases that were peach for the renter's room (for $3 -my other sheets for that bed are *pink* and I didn't think a guy would appreciate that) and then I was looking for a duvet for a comforter that I have and found a whole set - comforter, dust ruffle and 2 pillow shams for $15 that are in great condition and even roughly match the curtains in that room, so I just got the whole kit & kaboodle! So I am feeling very lucky and ready to be a landlady now...I figured I had the extra bedroom (and still have a guest room) so why not have the house earn a little extra for my nest egg...Anyhow, I just LOVE thrifting!!!

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2006 :  10:57:46 PM  Show Profile
Judith, when is your tenent moving in? You sure were luckey to get all that furniture for the price you did.Plus all that bedding!
I got out for a short time this morning, Do any of you remember the NORTHERN GIRL PRINTS OF LITTLE GIRLS? I had them when I lived at home and always liked them. I think you ordered them from the northern paper products. Anyway I was thinking about them the other day and how I wished I still had them, looked on ebay, they had some but went for more then I bid. So today when I was out, there are two framed northern girls, yea!! So I bought them. seven dollars total.Also got four half aprons, Still looking for one with cheeries on like MJ is wearing on the cover of the new magazine.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2006 :  12:47:07 AM  Show Profile
Garage sale fun: sweet bavarian pot de creme dish and underplate -- a lovely celadon green with white waterlilies; a blue glass bird, a white ceramic bird and a blue/white porcelain bird -- all of which I will resell at the collectibles shop -- each for a quarter. Also a giant old old dictionary for collage $1; an old print in a gilt frame with roses $3; and a wonderful handcolored print of Dutch girls walking along a canal -- named 'Sunday Morning' -- paid $10 which I had to do because of my dutch heritage . . . those could be great aunts of mine! Stumbled across all three sales when driving on the way to less exciting destinations.

Fun to hear of all the finds this weekend. Nancy, why is it that we find things right when we have a yen for them? Like your Northern Girl prints -- how sweet!

Edited by - katie-ell on Sep 11 2006 05:47:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2006 :  07:00:52 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
that sounds like fun katie-ell, way too fun Nancy nothing wishing and getting.

my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2006 :  07:09:23 AM  Show Profile
kATIE,
Yes I have wondered that myself, must be a garage sale fairy out there someplace putting stuff where we can find it. The two pictures you got sound really pretty, are you keeping the rose print too?
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2006 :  07:19:03 AM  Show Profile
Nancy -- The Dutch girls picture I am keeping -- although it may become my sister's Christmas present. The other picture is in a tallish frame with a curved top, old gilt with carved roses on the top. The picture itself seems to be of a saint? -- or a monk in brown robes and with that strange bowl-shaped haircut -- holding a child who is draped in white cloth (shoulders bare). The monk is looking upward; the child is looking straight at the viewer. There are white lilies off to the bottom right. I surmise it is a picture of the Christ Child . . . although I can't figure out the monk part. Anyway, a very evocative print and one that captures my attention. Will clean it up a bit (glass is very dirty) and live with it for a while. The house I got it from is one of the newest McMansions in the neighborhood -- strange place to find an old, dirty picture. But that only proves my motto -- stop and take a quick look at any garage sale!

Re: finding the wished-for item -- I think this only works with thrifted/garage sale items, not the proverbial pot of gold!
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2006 :  12:06:22 PM  Show Profile
All of your treasure finding has made me want to get back out to yard sales! My yard sale buddies have been laid up all summer, so I have been to very few. Maybe that's a good thing since I have a cellar full of stuff to sell in my own!! But, I still get that urge to get out there just for the thrill of the hunt! I'm glad you all have been able to snag up the bargains. :)

Karin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Across the Fence: Previous Topic MY GARAGE SALE FINDS Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page