Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  07:28:06 AM  Show Profile
SMALL WORLD FOR SURE!!If you should come here you better come see me. I don't post pictures either, but sure love seeing what everyone else posts. Maybe someday. I could take up pages on here with all my garage sale stuff and of course my four cutie pie grand daughters.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  09:34:44 AM  Show Profile
NANCY JO, Judy, Rhonda, John Boy and all the other gals out there, a big bonjour to everyone! LOVED technotard, there must be a Technotard anonymous group with me as their poster child. Cute name. I am a souvenir sap I think. I collect rocks and shells from places I want to remember, but horticultural heists are my specialty! One lovely autumn afternoon we had driven through the mountain passes, looking at all the gorgeous old stone houses and walled gardens, the vineyards on fire with yellow leaves blazing in the sun. We finally made it to our destination, a quaint restaurant in a town waayyy up the mountain. Outside across the street from the restaurant was a clump of lavender. I just had to pick a stem for a keepsake and André looked at me and began his "now, now" speech "What would happen if everybody did..... when I interrupted with "shut up, André", in a sweet tone of voice, naturally (ha)! So Judy anytime you want to head over to Nancy Jo's yard, I'll be waiting with my shovel and clippers. She will never know; after all, she'll be at a YARD SALE certainly (ha)! LOL, Nance
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  10:15:59 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
you know a few people where talking about a seed collecting swap on another forum the other day. You could just start that up and then you could have flowers from lots of peoples yards with out flying across the world with a shovel.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  10:27:32 AM  Show Profile
Sunshine, with the world the way it is headed, right now I couldn't clear the metal detector in the airport with nail clippers, much less my trusty shovel! But we are coming back to spend the autumn at my home in Virginia, and I got shovels aplenty there, so Nancy Jo is not out of the woods yet..... Nance
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  10:28:56 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
hehehehehehehehehehe I love it

my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  10:38:36 AM  Show Profile
Lucky for me that by the time you come up in the fall my flowers will not be worth taking, I will hide my potted mums in the house if I go out to garage sales. Speaking of which I checked the paper for this weekend and not to many, probably because of labor day, I may have to go to a thrift store to prevent withdrawal. Hey nance, how long are you going to be in the states?
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  2:34:14 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Nance, you are after my own heart...I, too, bring rocks and bits of nature home from vacation. Almost 5 years ago when I went to England & Scotland, I brought home a small chunk of the wall around Scarborough Castle (my last name is Scarborough), a few shells from the Scarborough beach, a bit or rock from the garden wall at Tintagel Castle (where King Arthur was born), a chestnut from somewhere in Scotland, a bit of yew tree, a few leaves from The Holy Thorn tree in Glastonbury, moss from the stone circles at Clava Cairns, near Inverness, yarrow from the stone circle at Avebury, heather (of course) from the battlefield at Culloden near Inverness and who knows what else. I got a little nervous on the return flight, wondering if they would let me through customs with all that plant matter, but I declared it and everything, and they just looked at me like I was a nut-case. Hmmm...maybe I am! Oh well. Most of that has made its way into my scrapbook/photo album. Whenever I pick up a rock somewhere, I always think of the movie "The Long Trailer" with Lucille Ball & Desi Arnaz - it is too funny! And I will be happy to join you in a midnight raid on Nancy Jo's garden, whenever we can arrange it! Have fun!
Oh, and Nancy Jo, I scoped out my cabinets last night, and your idea just might work. If it does, I will try to make a picture and post it. Again, don't hold your breath :-) Judy

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb

Edited by - JudyBlueEyes on Aug 29 2006 2:36:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  2:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
by the sounds of it nancy jo you better run for the hills and take your whole house with you.

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  4:14:35 PM  Show Profile
I don't think I have to be too afraid, a nice dessert, a small gift, will calm everyone down. Judy, rip those doors off and show off your stuff, half the stuff in your cupboards you only use once a year anyway, put it someplace else, and that vegie magic you bought years ago? well there it sits.
I do understand the love of natural things, I have a large piece of drift wood that I find myself somewhat attached to. Didn't have to take it through customs though. How brave you are, or something.
Since this is the garage sale site, lets see, oh yea, all that yarn I got this past weekend I started knitting up a few things for a fund raiser, I'am sure they will pick my work first.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  4:39:26 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
thats not nearly as much fun as the other ideas.

Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  6:53:17 PM  Show Profile
Scored at the Junior League thrift today: 8 pkgs rick rack, 4 spools heavy twill ribbon (for upholstery?), 1 large spool white tulle (I love this!), three kitchen-y vintage-looking fabrics, 1 floral fabric for pillows or something, one hippie skirt. Scored at Salvation Army: two skirts, two vintage fabrics, Ralph Lauren heavy cotton white spread, Saks scarf -- autumn colors -- black silk blazer that makes me look slim. Had the best time!

Edited by - katie-ell on Aug 30 2006 07:16:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  7:20:44 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
sounds like you did great

Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  03:45:29 AM  Show Profile
NANCY JO, JUDY and SUNSHINE, ya'll are too much! Yep, after the "midnight raid of Judy and Nancy (Paul Revere ain't got nuthin on us), Nancy Jo's garden is gonna be in a world of hurtin! And Judy I cannot BELIEVE you got through customs with all that cool stuff. Got another "Nancyland" story you reminded me of. My oldest son says I live in "Nancyland", my own little world (ha)! In October 2004 on my first trip here, André took me to the hunting castle (pitiful little 65 BILLION square foot hovel) of the first king of France. While walking out on the top balcony admiring the splendid views as far as the eye could see, I spied tons of beautiful, soft moss on the roof. It was a drizzly day too which added to the general seduction of moss mood for me. I asked him to rip a little piece off as a momento, so gallantly with the tip of his umbrella he scraped off a nice little hunk of moss for me. Well, he was sure I would not be able to bring it back to the US, so I put it in a ziplock baggy and stuffed it in my bra! Hey, a gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do, right Judy? Yee haa, yarn TOO, Nancy Jo? Judy, maybe we'd better rent a van for the getaway!!

I'm flying back to Norfolk on October 3rd, after my mom's visit here in September; hubby will follow in November, and we are staying through January 9th!! YIPPEE Christmas at home, heavenly! Nance in a trance in France

PS. Kati-Ell gets a high five for her scores!
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  07:06:10 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
nothing like a good horseing around. I had fun with it too.

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  08:53:41 AM  Show Profile
Nance, that will be a nice long visit, are you staying with your Mom? Are you bringing presents from France or buying here? If it was warm weather time, oh lets see that would mean garage sales, you could fly up here and we could go for the day. What with airline fares that should be about a 600 dollar shopping day. Yes that sounds like a run down shabby castle you went to, moss growing all over the place, what a mess.
Katie-wow you did have a good thrift store day, what is white tulle? Do I need some?
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  09:27:03 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo - Nope, not sponging off mom and dad. I will be living it up in MY home sweet home in Norfolk! It was my paternal grandmother's home since 1960, and I have lived there for about 25 years....Paid enough rent that my wonderful parents put me on the deed with them two years ago so now it really IS my dream home! I have made a few Christmas gifts this summer, but will be buying more when I get home. Yeah, I can do that; just dig in the sofa cushions for the spare $600 or so that is certain to be there along with a couple of M&Ms and a broken pencil, and jet on up. I would love to visit you and tag along and see just how you unearth all these treasures with apparently little effort! And if you happen to notice a few tops lopped off your prize plants, well you know how those country squirrels can get testy....!
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  09:56:53 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo -- We should go thrifting/garage saling and bring France-Nance, too! Tulle is that gorgeous fine-net stuff that bridal veils are made of. On the spool I found it measures about 6" wide -- so it's like a fine-net ribbon. Oh joy, oh rapture!
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  10:59:31 AM  Show Profile
Okay, Nance, your moss story reminded me of another story from a friend of mine - she was visiting in Kentucky with her parents, and they were at a state park and her mom spied some plant that she had been lusting over for years and couldn't find in California. So she pulled up a baby with roots and all and stuck it in her bra...well, they happened upon a Park Ranger (and of course taking anything from a state park is a big no-no) and he asked if they had anything to declare. Mom stoutly declared "no!" Well, the tip of this plant was showing out of her blouse and the Ranger kindly asked "are you sure" and she again declared "no!" So I guess at that point he figured this little lady wasn't giving in, so he let them go on their way...oh the things we do to get our specimens!
Katie-ell, good job on the thrift stores! I have found bags with tulle at one of my haunts too. I also found a bag with bunches of odds and ends of lace and trims and then a big skein of vintage lace, it's about an inch or a little less wide. I was sure happy when I got that baggy home!
This is a dangerous place for me to hang out cause y'all are making me want to hit my shoppes - and even though the price is right, it is still money I don't _need_ to spend...but oh, the thrill of the hunt! I really just need to sit my behind at home and do some crafting with all the good stuff I already have!
Carry on, Farm Girls! Judy

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  11:07:08 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
one day I should take a picture of my craft room a room that has evolved into a storage room to to finding things at trift stores that I can make something out of sooner or later.

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  11:27:33 AM  Show Profile
yes sunshine we would like to see a picture of that. Judy, don't let money stop you from going to thrift stores, even a dollar or two and you can get a little something that can make your day, if your having one of thoses days when a little something new would be great. sometimes I don't find all that much, but a few old needle work magazines or a book, .25 cents etc. I feel its our job to use up all this old stuff. HA.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  12:56:47 PM  Show Profile
Nancy -- They aren't making old stuff anymore. er, does that make any sense??
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  10:59:35 PM  Show Profile
Oh my, you ladies made my day! Katie in RAPTURE over soft white tulle!-plants smuggled through customs in bras! LOL I am loving all your stories!
Our crazy little town has added a garge sale extravaganza to it's Labor Day festivities this year. There's a big tent set up at the American Legion. Hubby is on vacation this week so we are heading out in the morning. I got him hooked too! I'll report back later!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  02:25:56 AM  Show Profile
OOOHH! Rhonda, buy something fun at that garage sale and think of me; can't wait to hear what you scoop up! And good job on getting hubby hooked, too. Judy, that poor park ranger; he was probably afraid to frisk a feisty determined female! I tip my straw hat to her sticktoitiveness. Katie-Ell, if you are gonna yard sale it up in Nancy Jo's territory, swing by and honk the horn, I'll come running!! Nance

And I doubt if this website is capable of HANDLING an entire view of your storage warehouse, sunshine!! Computers would be blowing up all across America and parts beyond!
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2006 :  5:45:54 PM  Show Profile
My dear daughter and I are starting September off right!At today's yard sales I got three nice dresses (that fit perfectly), a cool little bowl and a nice large piece of soft leather; she got one beanie stuffie, a pair of pj's, two surf shirts and some yarn all for less than $5!! I just love that she's into recycling :)
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2006 :  6:16:14 PM  Show Profile
We are in the midst of hurricane rain and wind, but I still went to Goodwill today! Found a few really fun things: a pair of oil lamp base lights electrified (color-Coke bottle green), a ceramic round pot that is cream with bittersweet and rust color stripes sloppily circling it (will look great with real bittersweet and fall foliage), two tall candlestick lamps with antique silver bases and a Weight Watchers recent cookbook that lists the points for everything(yeah!) Total cost under $12. That's my kind of hurricane sale! I love reading about everyone's great finds, isn't it cool that if we are patient, what we need ( and often want) shows up and at a bargain? Happy hunting girls!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Across the Fence: Previous Topic MY GARAGE SALE FINDS Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page