True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  8:12:49 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
nancy jo
sounds good i will mail it out monday cause we dont have anyplace to mail things out here on the weekend.(well, we do but its a 50 mile place) the place i use is only 20 miles and its not open except mon-friday. i am working on the last hat for sunshines girls right now and i will be finished with her items. i think i just have 3 more orders to finish.
anywhay, i love this thread , i took a break from my crafting and thought i would catch up on the garage sale news. if i finish the hat tonite i might be able to catch some sales tomorrow.hehehehe
fran
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  8:13:59 PM  Show Profile
Rhonda,

I am from Louisiana and the Coushatta tribe is about 25 miles from me. The baskets are valuable. The art of weaving the baskets are disappearing, so the value will increase. For years (When I was much younger) we could buy those baskets for nothing....today I looked at a medium size one with the Tribe 's animal on it ---It sold for 362.00----I don't know the exact size of yours, but you had a great GS day ! !!!

Would you please write me the name of the weaver. I know many of the women that make the baskets....Small world isn't it ?

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  05:43:34 AM  Show Profile
Rhonda,
What do you want old bias tape for? send me your address and I will send you some. I have seam tape too, but that is different right?
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  10:54:16 AM  Show Profile
Didn't get a whole lot today. got some cookbooks, like them alot but my cookbook pile is getting out of control so I put three of them on the BARTER site. Thought of our nance from france because I got the cutest little red tin of guest soaps and they are from France, don't know how they got over here but they sure are cute. Also got about 50 old wooden clothes pins, don't know what I need them for, but is that important? Then I got a pestital milk glass fruit bowl, and a wooden apple pepper grinder, and two bags of yarn.Well now that I write it all down maybe it was a good garage sale day. That will have to do me for a few weeks, I don't think there will be many sales over the labor day weekend. I'LL BE OK.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  10:52:00 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh Nancy, you'll share!? Is there something you have been looking for, but can't find? You mentioned old milk glass? I'd be happy to send you a trade! Let me know. Anyway, I use the tape in my dollmaking and other crafty stuff, mostly as ties or hair ribbons-just like you wear! :)I'm not sure if the seam binding is the same or not. I like the shiny look and funny muted colors of the old bias tape. Too bad we aren't neighbors we could hit the sales together! On second thought, I do enough damage on my own! Our hubbies would probably forbid us from hanging together! I will PM you my address. Thanks so much Nancy!
Linda, first... I knew this basket was probably, kinda, maybe, sorta, valuable...but 362.00 FO REAL? I picked it up at a local church thrift store I frequent. I love shopping there because I find a lot of sewing supplies and the profits go entirely to missions. Anyway, I saw the basket & thought "interesting"...almost didn't pick it up (wasn't wearing my glasses! LOL), but for A QUARTER (yes, I said a QUARTER!), I thought "what's a quarter?". The lady who checked me out looked at the basket & said "hmmm interesting", LOL. I really had no idea what I had, just that it looked unusual. Anyhoooooo... My basket is from the Alabama Coushatta tribe, which is located in Livingston Texas. I have been emailing a woman who is, from what I can gather, a basket "expert". She sent me the birth/death record from the woman who wove my basket. She has a basket woven by this woman's mother in law. My weaver's name is Eloise Pancho/Poncho (she went by both spellings)Born 1924, Died 1980. At least this was the information I was given. My basket is small to medium in size (not sure what is considered large) and has a lid. There is a tribal design woven in red & black on the lid.
Nancy was wondering how french soaps got to her, and I was wondering the same. I suppose someone brough this basket home from a vacation trip out west at some point.
I think maybe I'll head out again on thursday-with my glasses!! LOL
Happy hunting everyone!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  05:31:39 AM  Show Profile
Rhonda,
Lets see, a trade, what would I want? hummm, oh I know, do you happen to have any small signed baskets made by an Indian women? Well if not then some little ole thing that fits in an envelope, we are talking bias tape and satin binding, all though I may put in a lttle something else since I have to mail it anyway. Love getting mail don't you? So just put a paper clip or some small thing in the mail and I will be happy. Got your address , will mail out this week.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  06:21:58 AM  Show Profile
Hey, gals, happy Sunday! Nancy Jo, saw where you thought of me when you snagged that cute tin of french soaps! In my village's weekly market, in one of the clothing stalls, I saw sweatshirts from UVA (University of Virginia) a few weeks back, and thought the same thing you did, Nancy Jo, ("how in the world did they get over HERE", and who would want them???!!) Ya'll don't know how lucky you ARE!! They don't "do" individual yard sales/garage sales in France! There are big flea markets here and there, and lots of the small towns have weekly open air markets (our village has one Thursdays and Sundays) but it is never old cool household junk, but real old time markets with housewares, veggies, cheeses, handmade soaps, jewelry, tablecloths, you name it, like in the days before supermarkets, Super WalMarts......but nothing old or vintage. You have to go to a flea market for that. Paris has unbelievable flea markets, but that is an eight hour drive...so a rare treat. Other than those, there are "Brocantes" which is French for shops of antique/secondhand/vintage stuff. My hubby surprised me and took me to a flea market this morning in the nearest "big town". Ended up getting some vintage postcards but nothing else lured me to open my wallet. Going to take my mom there when she visits next month! So I will have to live vicariously through you guys and drool over your great yard sale bargains!! Keep shopping!! Nance
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  07:08:32 AM  Show Profile
NANCE,
Whats up with all the flea markets and no vintage stuff, France has been there for a while right? They must have drawers and closets full of good stuff!! Maybe they are too tired by the end of the day from eating all those high fat foods and drinking wine that they just can't get at the sorting. Well nance, post cards are nice, I know I like them, and you said you can get some really nice ones. So that is something at least. Boy if you get to paris make sure you take lots of cash, that may be where all the good stuff goes.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  08:31:49 AM  Show Profile
Hey,FarmGirls! Well, I actually stumbled onto an estate sale Saturday morning when I was out getting curtain rods, as I switched a couple of rooms around and needed to change the curtain configurations...Anyhow, I noticed it on the way out, but made myself do my actual shopping before I went to search for vintage linens, or? And I found some linens!!! A large tablecloth and about 16 napkins (haven't done an actual count yet) that are a light, minty green, well used (but no obvious stains) and I thought - Dollie clothes! They rather sheepishly asked $4 for the lot! I also got an older cloth doll that might have come from Russia - they said that mom had traveled there and she made Russian costumes and sometimes for the dolls too. The fabric doesn't look like anything real "American" so it could be. Also got a couple books, a big suitcase with wheels, a hand-thrown pottery mug and a carafe with an etching of Philadelphia Society Hill on it. Oh! and a big, white porcelain mixing bowl. So I was happy and glad I stopped!
A note about the French flea markets - in my reading, I have seen for many years now, that the "designers" have long since discovered the French flea markets and they are bringing things back to America and charging an arm & a leg for them. But I would still love to go over there and see what I can find. I'm pretty sure though, that you would have to go deep into the country to find any wonderful old linens or such, I always seem to be reading about those. *Sigh*
Well, happy hunting, my friends!

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  09:56:58 AM  Show Profile
NANCY JO -- I must not have explained myself clearly last post; maybe it was that glass of red wine at lunch (ha)! The flea markets ARE where the cool stuff is, but they are also where people try to sell billion year old eight-track tapes, hairdryers, combs, clothes, "same as" perfumes.... that is what I wade through/hurry past in order to get down to business! The flea market my hubby took me to this morning has all that junk but has some dealers with good quality old vintage stuff too. Usually flea markets are only held in the larger towns in large parking lots... Now the PARIS flea markets are the original ones in the world. There are actually five spread out, pretty easily gotten to by metro (subway system). When I first visited my future husband two years ago I said the two things I HAD to do were "do" the Paris flea market and see Monet's home and garden. We took the metro to the flea market and man I was about to CRY when I first saw that pitiful stuff I describe in the next paragraph; 8 track tapes, old icky looking slightly used shoes, combs, paperbacks, etc. André inquired quickly and we were directed one block over and that is where Paradise began!!! Oh for a truck and a billion bucks! And Judy is right; dealers are shopping Europe (heck you read about it in Country Living and ME Home Companion!). My (Norfolk VA) pharmacist's wife has a country French shop and he said she comes to France twice a year to buy, and yessirree, breathing the air in her shop is expensive!

The village open air MARKETS are where vendors sell new clothes, hats, shoes, veggie fruit and cheese stands, olive stands, etc. Those are held weekly and are really more like outdoor WalMarts, department store and grocery store stuff combined. I have bought a skirt and a straw hat at the market and some yarn, nothing else yet. I have a pocketbook addiction for some strange reason lately, and there is a vendor with gorgeous leather bags in every size and shape imaginable but some of the prices are hefty, too.

Then there are actual antique shops (again, in the larger towns and cities)where the finer paintings, glassware, furniture, etc. fetch really good prices. I saw an adorable ceramic flower frog in the window of one of these shops but the price wasn't visible from outside (smart move). When we went inside and asked and discovered it was a mere $150 I made sure not to bump into anything while backing out of the shop! It is really just like shopping in the US; you go into the high price shops and hope for a treasure, or the brocante shops (good quality vintage but not always too pricey), or the flea markets where the prices are often cheap but it is work to wade through the stuff (like a big box filled with linens and crochet items,you start digging). The lady with the awesome linens/textiles shop was not there today, so hopefully she will be next time!! Nance

P.S. And yep, France has been around awhile....the oldest house in our village is about 1,000 years old, and we have visited abbeys and churches that were built in the 11th and 12th century; it is awe inspiring to see these monuments to human strength and ingenuity.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  10:57:06 AM  Show Profile
Lucky you Nance, I want to see all that stuff and the old buildings,etc.etc.What was Monet's house like? Could you go inside?
NANCT JO
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  6:43:57 PM  Show Profile
Hahaha Nancy! Somehow I knew that's what you'd ask for! LOL You are a naughty thing! You'd be suprised to find it stuffed into an envelope, now wouldn't you?
I'll see if I can dig up a few treats and send them your way. I'm sure there is some old thing laying around here someplace!
Thanks again Nancy!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  6:47:37 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I like that thought breathing air in her shop is expensive. Very good desription of a high price store.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  12:25:53 AM  Show Profile
JUDY,
Boy you had a good sale day, I like estate sales, they usually cost more then garage sales but you can find some extra good stuff. Would like t see what your doll looks like. What are you going to do with the big bowl?
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  03:59:08 AM  Show Profile
Bonjour, NANCY JO and all the rest of the gals! Yes, Monet's home was well worth the trip. I used to think his home was called Giverny, but that is the name of the TOWN. The style of "impressionism" painting was actually started by Monet. He had painted a picture of a small boat on the water with this beautiful orange colored sun, and sunbeams reflecting on the water. He sent it off to a gallery for a show, but had not given the painting a name. The gallery owner got in touch with him and said he needed to know what to call it and Monet said just call it "impression of a sunrise"! Anyway, you have to buy a ticket to take the tour, and you have a guide that takes you through his home. Downstairs in a big living room ("salon") are beautiful examples of his paintings and some furniture which is roped off. Great looking antiques and big pottery urns I would have LOVED to stolen! And the kitchen was exquisite; beautiful copper pots and pottery for cooking and brilliant blue and white tiles. The gardens themselves are worth going, even if the house had been closed to the public. That famous Japanese bridge that is in many of his paintings was beautiful and we stood still a long time until there was NOBODY on it, so hubby could snap some photos. My favorite flower is the pansy, and my favorite color pansy is the periwinkle blue shade. Well, when I SAW some I pretended to drop my purse, bent down and snipped one and stuck it in a folded piece of paper in my purse! Hubby just shook his head and rolled his eyes... as you exit the grounds there is a big gift shop with everything Monet or Monet-inspired you could think of! Did a little damage in there... and there are nice little shops and cafes in walking distance, too. Definitely worth it, Nancy Jo. I'd love to go again someday. Nance
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  11:26:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Nancy Jo! Well, I will try to get a picture of the doll - but being that I'm pretty much of a technotard, it will take some doing. I have a couple snaps left in my disposable camera and then I will get that developed, along with another disposable camera that's been sitting there and now I can't remember exactly what's ON it. So I will get a CD made when the photos are developed and then I will try to upload them onto a post here. This will take a couple weeks. We technotards are slow! I do not even mess with digital cameras; it is just too much hassle for me to fumble with my bifocals to try to see the little picture in the screen and then hold the camera steady and actually snap the dang thing! I know it's the wave of the future, but I am just not there yet! As for the white bowl, it is sitting on top of my fridge right now. I will probably use it as a mixing bowl or serving bowl. Who knows? It was just pretty, in my mind's eye. I *wish* that when my predecessors remodeled my kitchen that they wouldn't have closed up the space between the top of the cupboards and the ceiling...it would have been a great place to display pretty things. When I ever get around to redoing the kitchen (it was last remodeled about 30 years ago, so it's about due, maybe) which won't be for at least 5 years, I will maybe try to put in a bit of display shelves. In the meantime, it's the top of the fridge for now. All my goddies cost $32, so I didn't think they were too over the top, price-wise. One of the books I got "Freedom at Midnight" is out of print, and is an excellent book that tells the story of India's gaining freedom from Britain. The other was a Julia Child cookbook and the last a Victorian Ladies book with cool stuff in it. All those hardbacks were $1 each. I was just thrilled with the linen for $4!!! I figure if I use 8 of the napkins for doll clothes, I still have the tablecloth and 8 more matching napkins for use!
And Nance, I, too, have "stolen" samples from gardens - there is a Colonial Apothecary shop in Fredericksburg, VA and they have an apothecary herb garden in the back and I snipped a couple samples - one is a seed pod I intend to plant, I just have to "find" it again - it's in my junks somewhere! Your description of Monet's home is great - I have a cookbook with some of Monet's recipes and also his painting, and it is just gorgeous! One of my favorites is the Boating Party - where they are on a boat on the river with all the bottles of wine...looks like such a sympatico group of people and I'd love to jump right in! The Impressionists are my favorites.
Our church is having a rummage sale in early September, so I will be stopping by there to see if there are any nice linens, etc... Always on the hunt! Happy Monday! Judy

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  11:39:56 AM  Show Profile
JUDY,
A few years ago before we remodeled our kitchen I took the cupboard doors off one of my cabinets, wall papered the back of the cupboard and then put all kinds of things in there that I wanted to show off. Also had a plain wall in the kitchen, you know, no windows etc, put
a long shelve the length of the wall, held up with pretty wrought iron brackets and put all kinds of stuff on that.
I know now that if you and Nance are comming to my house I will have to hide the flowers.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  11:59:04 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
where are you going to hide the flowers that sounds like abig undertaking

my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  12:25:41 PM  Show Profile
LARGE TARPS!!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  12:27:23 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Ha ha ha

Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  1:18:27 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo, That's a great idea about the cupboards, but I am a bit short of cupboard space, although I will re-evaluate what I have in one cabinet and see if I could do with putting those things in a cabinet below the counter and then taking the doors off the above the counter cabinet for display. In the last little cottage I rented before moving to Spokane and buying my house, there were no doors on the above counter cabinets and there was track lighting and I loved it - I had my crystal displayed there and with the lights shining on them, it was really pretty, IMHO at least. And it was crystal that I used, too. And there was a metal rack above the stove with hooks that I could hang things on...loved that too! But that was a seriously tiny cottage (less than 500 sq. ft.) and that is the only thing I miss about it! And then, I really don't have any empty wall space in my kitchen, so that idea is out. Believe me, I've looked! *Sigh*
And, hey, if I come to your house, I only take ~small~ snippets of the flowers...tee-hee! I have really good friends in Buffalo, but I think you're a bit east of there, huh? Okay, back to it! Judy

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  4:44:51 PM  Show Profile
We are just outside Buffalo. about 6 miles, along with other towns like, Orchard park, East Aurora, Hamburg, Elma, etc. We go into the city once in awhile for events, like baseball, or something going on down at the water front, but not to often. What part of Buffalo do your friends live in?
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  5:11:41 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
to nancy

You are with in days of getting effie back. I for one will be glad when she is back at your house. My children even though they never played with her where getting attached to her. Theywhere starting to call it moms doll and where sad when I boxed her up to send her back to your house. My littlest one asked when you where going to send her back to us I had to explain that wasn't going to happen not a happy 4 year old. I am glad I am always a little nervous when I have other peoples items because I want to return them the same or better than when I got them the longer they hang around the more I worry.

Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  7:46:42 PM  Show Profile
Haha Judith! You have coined a new phrase "technotard"! I suppose I find it so funny because I am one too. I promise photos to all my online friends, but never get the guts to actually sit down with camera & computer to figure things out. What a chicken!
And Nance, thank you for your description of your trip to Monet's home! It sounds lovely. I love that you pretend to drop your purse to snip-too funny! I was fortunate enough to see the Monet exhibit when it was at the Chicago Art Museum. It was incredible! The final display was roomsize canvases of his "Water Lilies". I stood alone in the middle of the room and gawked a few moments before I realized I had TEARS running down my face! I felt like a real ninny, but I was truly overcome with the beauty of those paintings. I think my favorite was a smallish painting called "Dahlias" though. :)
Rhonda

Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  8:48:33 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo - this is too much!!! Cher lives in Tonawanda and her mom & sister are in Elma!!! Small world! Her sister Kathy lives in town and I can't remember exactly where now. I haven't been there in 20 years but I always liked visiting - it is really a pretty and pastoral part of the country. Cher's son lives in Mesa, Arizona now and I was down there (I can't believe it is) 8 years ago for his wedding, and that's the last time I saw the family. But I'm gonna go visiting, cause I haven't seen her house yet-they lived in town last time I was there. So maybe we'll meet up some day!
And, Rhonda, I can't take credit for technotard, but it sure fits me! I'm glad I'm not the only one out there. When I finally decided to try 35 mm cameras, I kept breaking them. So I just went to the disposable ones. I think a digital would frustrate me more than it is worth. I always look at people with the fancy 35 mm cameras with all the attachments, etc., and thought by the time I got it all together to take the picture, whatever I wanted to shoot would be gone. Now, I know you get a better quality, higher resolution, etc., but I'm just not that motivated. And when I travel, I figure they probably have a wondrous post card of just the thing I'd botch taking a photo of...so now you know my dirty little secret. Anyhow, technotard I am and not afraid to say so! Judy

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Across the Fence: Previous Topic MY GARAGE SALE FINDS Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page