Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  12:00:49 PM  Show Profile
ANOTHER WEEK, ANOTHER SEVERAL GARAGE SALES. THE WEATHER WAS WINDY AND COOL, GOT REAL USED TO THOSE 70'S.
This week I found a round hand crocheted tablecloth, no damage at all, washed it twice, it was a little musty, came out perfect. Believe it to be from the 1940's.
A good size tole painted serving tray, I was looking on some antique sites, and these are getting up there in value. who would have guessed, since I got rid of several of these a few years back.
A black cast iron bell, which extends from a cast iron horse, hung it by the back door, that way the four granddaughters can drive us crazy ringing it.
A cast iron chicken with a heavy duty brush that you can attach to it, this is an old boot scraper, you know, run the bottom of your boots over it before you come in the house. This looks to be pretty old.
A neat old tin, that says Jersey milk butter cookies.
A white iron stone pitcher, I put a plant in it.
A very large pitcher and bowl, had to carry that around the house awhile before I found a place for it.
Several old cookbooks, and several other books , now I 'am behind on my reading.
Several other small things, but guess I have gone on here long enough.
Did any of you go sailing this week?

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  3:02:44 PM  Show Profile
oh chile! GREAT FINDS! i have tons of 'treasures' up for adoption .. sooo .. i don't go junkin' as much as i used to. but TOMORROW MORNING .. a couple friends and i are heading to northern Kentucky to visit another gurlfren .. and there is a mos' wunnerful shoppe called: TRADERBAKERS in our path .. that we will stop and shop! There are several dealers in there that sell primitives. Only problem is .. we all three LOVE primitives .. (there may be some hair-pulling and scratchin' going on tomorrow!)

xo

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  11:02:31 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, Nancy, Nancy...
I did SO well this week it took me all weekend to recover! LOL

For my sons I found 2 nifty cowboy shirts, 4 pair of jean shorts, 2 henleys and a brand new pair of "Diesel" brand shoes-$21 for everything.
A corduory purse with a tassle :)-$1 and a "Brambly Hedge" tin lunchbox-.50 for myself.
9 primitive style wreaths-$29 (these are for resale).
A beautiful antique pine dresser with carved leaf style drawer pulls-$100
3 heavy industrial lamps for my son's bedroom-$10
2 Shel Silverstein poetry books-$2
4 handthrown pottery coffee mugs-all different-$4
...and the very best of all!
A primitive sideboard with a tall cupboard/hutch top, my favorite color RED-for $50!!! (amazing what you can fit into a mini van with all the seats out!)

I laughed at you carrying the pitcher & bowl around looking for a place to put it...I was home alone so I moved the sideboard twice, by myself, before I found "the spot"! DH scolded me when he got home! I guess he realizes I ain't as young as I used ta be, even if I don't!

We better slow up or we'll soon be adoptin' our treasures out like Frannie does!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  06:38:39 AM  Show Profile
Rhonda
I'am a firm believer that when ever possible move furniture when the DH'S are not around, seems to get them all worked up, they just don't see the joy in it.HA
What ever are you doing with all these big pieces you are buying, when I'am having trouble with a pitcher and bowl? As far as I know there are no southern mansions in your area, I could be wrong.
Sounds like you had another REALLY good weekend! Where are you going to sell your wreaths? Yes you are right, its early in the season, we will have lots of stuff by fall, seems I can almost always find a place for something I love, and my house remains very neat and uncluttered, its just one of those strange but true phenomenons. Boy I wonder if that is spelled right? Maybe you should post some pictures so I can see your finds, I haven't figured out how yet, maybe in my next life.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1796 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1796 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  09:10:45 AM  Show Profile
I found scooters for $5! My grandkids will love these. I found some hardback books for 25 cents, behind on my reading too. I am always looking for book tapes, videos, brand name clothes all sizes, childrens books. I have in the past found a great porch swing,
a huge metal greenplant stand I have used for years in my kitchen,
many books and decorative things. Baby furniture for all the kids.
Love garage sales.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  09:46:51 AM  Show Profile
Marlene,
Sound like you have found some great things! Garage sales ARE great for finding things for the kids. And it is one of the best places for books, between garage sales and used books on Amazon, always have something to read. I don't think I will be able to go this coming weekend because it will be memorial day weekend, lots of family things and a parade etc. But will be right back out there the next week!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  10:40:13 AM  Show Profile
I made some cool scores this last weekend in the book department. Got 2 new herb gardening books, 1 rose book, and 2 new cookbooks. One is from Family Circle (1970's) and the other is the Busy Woman's Cookbook from Farm Journal (1961). I was totally excited about that one.

Visit my online shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  7:27:55 PM  Show Profile
LOVE reading what everyone found this week! Aren't sales just the best for books!? I was at one sale on Friay where there were boxes & boxes of brand new looking books. My friend wasn't interested so I told her to tear me away before I started looking! I think could have stayed there all morning!
Clothing is a great buy too! I try really hard not to buy clothes retail anymore-except for undies & shoes! Amazing what nice things people are selling.
Tis true Nancy, that furniture moving brings out the worst in an otherwise lovely man! LOL Exactly why I did it myself! You should have seen a few of the ways I got things where I wanted them. I figured out that anything will slide across the floor with a rug underneath. And you can even hoist one corner of a large piece of furniture onto another and slide it into place using the rug trick (do not try this at home!)! Necessity really IS the mother of invention! A bit of stubbornness helps too.
I'm not sure how all this furniture is fitting into an already full house...but so far it has. I moved a tall pie safe from the kitchen and replaced it with a short dry sink/step back hanging cupboard. Moved a table in the living room and replaced it with the pie safe. Moved a table from the living room out on the front porch and THERE rests the hutch/sideboard. A little maneuvering was all it took! So you SEE why I did all this while my guys were camping!?
Oh you asked about the wreaths. I have a craft show in MO in a few weeks. I'll be selling there. I have a lot to do between now & then!
I won't be rummaging this week either. My best girlfriend is getting married Friday evening and I am doing her flowers. After that I'll probably collapse!
Pictures pictures...oh if I only could get THAT one figgered out! Something I just need to tackle head on I suppose.
OK, Nancy & I are going to live vicariously through you other ladies this week! Keep the bargins comin'!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  11:03:59 AM  Show Profile
I love garage sales -- and Salvation Army! My big finds this morning at SA: restaurantware china, red floral on white: found 6 each of dinner plates, salad plates, sauce dishes. Also one Santa Fe Railroad diner car plate (oh, my -- so cool!), 5 heavy white platter-type diner dishes. Also clear-glass teardrop-decorated snack sets -- so cute and vintage and in the original box! To top it off, Calvin Klein jeans for $4 -- like new, and they fit like a dream. For less than I'd pay for new jeans, I got all this great stuff. . . . I collect red/white restaurantware and have not found any for almost a year. I'm just so geeked!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  11:10:29 AM  Show Profile
GOOD FINDS KATIE, What is the name of the dinnerware, you know the marking on the bottom? I may be going to the thrift store later today if my daughter comes by, but for sure I will be going to garage sales on saturday.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  10:40:24 PM  Show Profile
Hey Nancy, I've missed your weekly GS recaps! I'm heading out tomorrow morning. I'll let ya know what I find!
Rhonda

Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  10:12:52 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
i love this thread!
i havent been able to gs for a while, its just been too dang hot. so i go to our local goodwill instead. i did find a small pottery piece lately at gw that i've never seen before and was hoping i could get some info on it. i will try to post a pic to see if anyone knows anything about it. it is the loveliest shade of blue. i will probably use it to put q-tips or hold cotton balls in the bathroom. i love finding linens and books and containers for organizing all my finds!
thanks for posting this thread, nancy jo it was fun.
love,
fran
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  9:40:11 PM  Show Profile
My BEST find in a long while! A pine needle basket woven by a woman from the Native American, Coushatta tribe. The weaver's signature was included on a small tag inside the basket. I have already researched & authenticated it. In lesser news, but still nice...I found 6 yards of very lovely wool for crafting & rug hooking. It was raining today so I did ditch garage sales to have lunch with a friend. LOL
Rhonda

Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  12:03:32 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
your basket sounds like a real treasure, rhonda, but in my world so is the wool.
gosh im so ready for autumn and cooler temperatures.
love,
fran
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  02:24:28 AM  Show Profile
Oh you gals are making me drool with envy, combined with delight for you all; what a thrill when you find something you cherish for only a song! Oh that crocheted table cloth and the Native American basket complete with maker's name......sob (I mean congratulations)! Fran, definitely post your pottery picture so we can see if we can help you identify the maker. I bought a small bowl in a beautiful soft periwinkle blue color, but it had no mark on the bottom. A friend who deals in pottery, especially N.Carolina pottery, said she was certain it was by a pottery whose name escapes me at the moment, but it is valuable. Man, I hate getting older; flab stays but the memory flees. Gee, tomorrow is Saturday; can't wait to hear what you gals find this weekend!! And those of you who are saleing with friends, try to play nice! Nance
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  03:45:07 AM  Show Profile
Nancy G -- You asked about the name of my new/old restaurantware plates? It's by Jackson China, and (interestingly) made in England. There's one piece like it on ebay; the number is 330013516256. I also have some plates, custand cups, serving bowl, and pedestal plate of the red hummingbird pattern -- that's also by Jackson China; and I have a few plates and platters of red rose by Shenango. The important things to me are color -- red on white (not on ivory) -- and condition -- minimal or no utensil marks on the plates. It's a fun collection and I use the pieces often.

Have fun garage saleing! I'll go to a sale or two if I stumble across one during my errands. Last weekend went to just one and found two old vintage hatboxes (vinyl, with zippers -- think 1960s) for $1 each.

Nance in France -- yes, it's important to play nice when you go saleing with friends! I find myself jealous like a child when my friend finds something I would just love to have. So maybe garage sales are good for helping us be frugal, have fun, and learn maturity!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  06:20:43 AM  Show Profile
KATIE AND ALL,
Katie, I was wondering about the brand of dinnerware, up here I find a lot of Buffalo china, I have two red and white pickle dihes I found at a thrift store not to long ago.Funny you should mention Hat Boxes, hoping to find one of thoses before the season is over.
Not looking great for sales this week, rain and more rain, but we will wait and see.
Love reading what you all find, send me that basket Rhonda!!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  06:31:35 AM  Show Profile
I haven't had much luck at garage sales this year but am always on the look out for children's clothes, aprons, and old knick knacks. My mom is the one who introduced me to Mary Janes book...she found one at a garage sale, brand new, for $1! She fell in love with it and found a book catalog that sells them and bought one for me and one for my Grandma last year for Christmas. So see, you can find GREAT things at garage sales!
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  07:22:40 AM  Show Profile
Holy mackarel! $1 for MaryJane's book? That's a real winner find. Children's clothes are abundant here at garage sales -- I'm in a mass-consumption suburb -- but my 'baby' is 21 years old. I'm with you, Elizabeth, on the aprons and old knick knacks. Nancy -- I have a few pieces of Buffalo china, too. I love the heavy heavy cereal bowls -- I have one that was my Grandma's and use it for my oatmeal. I'll keep a look out for more hat boxes. I foolishly left a train case behind at that sale last weekend, and now I see them reworked and heavily embellished on ebay going for $100+!
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  07:47:28 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Hey nancy let me know when Effie arrives I think it will be around the first they said 8 days not sure why so long .

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  08:19:02 AM  Show Profile
On Labor Day, a small and old town next to ours holds a community yard sale, flea market, craft, and antique day and boy do my husband and I love to go to that! We've been saving our money! Lots of Pfaltzgraf(?) items that I so love. I will keep you posted on all the treasures we accumulate. And, I so agree with moving furniture. My husband is always amazed at the many ways I can change a room! I've been married for 28 years and I've never owned a new couch and for some reason I want one. My youngest son has new furniture in his apartment and we both fell in love with the rich brown corduroy. And when you sit on it, you want to take a nap! Keeping my fingers crossed that I can accomplish this. Have a wonderful weekend everyone!
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  08:23:31 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
you gals are making me want to go saling,and i need to be crafting!
by the way nancy effies litte pony is ready to mail out if you still want him/her?
love,
fran
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  08:31:55 AM  Show Profile
Will do sunshine, can't wait to see her.
SO--- I just got back from going to a garage sale,glad I went, really didn't feel like it since I had a tooth pulled yesterday, but it is a garage sale after all that we are talking about. So I got this shopping bag about half full of sewing stuff, bias tape, seam tape, rick rak, lace etc etc, wooden spools of old thread, some little tins,. the seam tape is all so pretty, like satin ribbon, I will never have to buy ribbon for my hair again. Then I got a real pretty christmas table cloth, .75 cents. A white cut work lunch cloth, another cut work lunch cloth which is white with red embroidery, .50 cents each. A christmas basket that looks like a drum, .25 cents. three small picture frames, .50 cents, and a wooden carrier with a handle, looks like a small tool box but its not. That was the only sale I went to, didn't want to be driving to much today, but if the weather holds will go tomorrow with my daughter. OH YEA got a cookbook called "preserving preserves" which will come in handy since I don't preserve preserves.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  11:21:44 AM  Show Profile
Nancy -- Scoooooooooooooore!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  11:47:01 AM  Show Profile
frannie,
Yes send the pony along with the bill, looking forward to getting her. Do you have my address?
Will you be posting more pictures soon? Did you finish the hats for the sunshine girls?
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  6:01:25 PM  Show Profile
Oh my! Mary Janes book for $1-what a find! And Nancy, I am just GREEN with envy! Been looking for old bias tape around here all summer with no luck! Sounds like you had a really great day! :)
Rhonda

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Across the Fence: Previous Topic MY GARAGE SALE FINDS Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page