Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 who wants to start a charm swap
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic who wants to start a charm swap Next Topic
Page: of 5

lsdehart
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Leslie
Oklahoma City OK
USA
11 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  07:36:42 AM  Show Profile  Send lsdehart an AOL message
Hello everyone! I'm a new kid here. I'm also a new quilter. I'd love to participate in the quilt swap. I just have a couple of questions since it would be my first. . .

Okay, I get that we're going to send in fabric that matches whatever guidelines we come up with and then a self addressed stamped envelope so that once the fabric is swapped, it can be mailed back. . . and I know that the size will be a 12x12 block.

So I guess my question is. . . when we get the fabric, do we just do whatever pattern we want to do with that fabric? And then we mail them back to the central person?

Sorry I've got so many questions. I just want to be a proper swapper. :) I'm pretty excited about it!

Things do not change; we change. -Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  07:44:12 AM  Show Profile
Leslie,
This is just a fabric swap. Once we swap fabrics, we're done. We've done a quilt block swap before, and I'd love to host another one after this charm square swap is finished.

Annie

Bramblestitches Store: www.bramblestitches.etsy.com
NEW blog: http://bramblestitches.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

lsdehart
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Leslie
Oklahoma City OK
USA
11 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  07:50:31 AM  Show Profile  Send lsdehart an AOL message
Okayyyyy. . . I think I just answered my own question. . . lol. . .

Do we just swap fabric?

Go to Top of Page

lsdehart
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Leslie
Oklahoma City OK
USA
11 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  08:05:31 AM  Show Profile  Send lsdehart an AOL message
Thanks Anne! :) I'm definitely in. I'd love to get some new fabrics.

Are there going to be other specifics such as washed/unwashed and I'm assuming they all need to be fabric shop quality, right?

If anyone decides to do a block swap, I'm definitely up for that too!

Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  08:14:31 AM  Show Profile
Ah, washed or unwashed... Well, I have to say as soon as I buy fabric it all goes straight into the washer, so everything I have is preshrunk. I REALLY hope we can all do washed fabric, because I can't afford to buy new (and I have no excuse to, either, with my fabric exploding off the shelves.)

Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  11:03:54 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
yes just a fabric trade as for washed or unwashed I really do not care either is fine with me but we can ask and see what responce we get so I guess i am adding you to the list Isdehart. we are up to eight people now I also sent you my address isdehart please send email when you get it to verify thank you

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on May 26 2006 11:04:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  11:12:48 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
new cout 9-1= 8 total ( one dropped out do to unforeseen circumstances hope to have you next time thanks
sunshine (me)
AnnieT
Lovejanet
earthcore
aunt jenny
blazesch1
sugarsfarm ( dropped out)
robinB
Isdehart

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  11:16:25 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
4 days left to join

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on May 26 2006 11:49:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

lsdehart
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Leslie
Oklahoma City OK
USA
11 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  12:37:33 PM  Show Profile  Send lsdehart an AOL message
I will join the "washed" category. :)

Any particular style or color?

Go to Top of Page

lovejanet
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Janet
La Canada California
USA
97 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  1:09:31 PM  Show Profile
hello, all of my fabric is unwashed. is that okay?

love, janet
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  1:35:47 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
it should be fine if yours is unwashed so is mine and a few others it is just a matter of preferance among quilters to wash or not each has their own reason for both ways I don't think either is right or wrong

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on May 26 2006 1:51:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  1:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
what might be good ladies if you let me know when you mail your package to put a little note in it if it is washed or not and I will relay that message to the receipient so if they do have a preferance it will be clearly state which is which. thanks for all your responces thus far

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

lovejanet
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Janet
La Canada California
USA
97 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  2:58:42 PM  Show Profile
Sounds good, I will put in a little note with fabric.

love, janet
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  07:45:56 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
2 days left to join

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on May 28 2006 09:02:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

lsdehart
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Leslie
Oklahoma City OK
USA
11 Posts

Posted - May 28 2006 :  09:48:11 AM  Show Profile  Send lsdehart an AOL message
Howdy girls!!

Okay, so we're sending 12.5" pieces of fabric. . . with a note that says washed or unwashed. . . and did you guys decide on how many pieces we're sending and whether or not they need to be a certain color/theme? Just my two cents but I'd love for the fabric to be pretty random. . . :) But then I'm working on some scrappy patterns so that might just be me.

Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 28 2006 :  09:57:43 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
no that is not correct the squares are 12 inches even yes a note that reads washed or not washed. We have not decided on how many pieces of fabric yet I prefer to do two from each person that are differnet fabrics of course and I also would rather have random colors. As I do minuture quilts and the more colors the better in those type of quilts.

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

lovejanet
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Janet
La Canada California
USA
97 Posts

Posted - May 28 2006 :  10:38:53 AM  Show Profile
hello, happy Sunday. i got the part about 12" squares, random colors but I thought we were sending in as many squares as people that are participating. so, so far we have 8 of us participating.
this is fun :)

love, janet
http://www.lovejanet.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 28 2006 :  10:55:27 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
"hello, happy Sunday. i got the part about 12" squares, random colors but I thought we were sending in as many squares as people that are participating. so, so far we have 8 of us participating this is fun :)"

from sunshine there are eight people so if we do two colors of fabric from each person for each percon that is 16 squares of fabric that each person will give and get if we do 3 ( different fabrics) then it is 24 we give and 24 we get

we need a vote do we want 2 or 3 fabrics from each person that means 16 squares or 24 squares

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - May 28 2006 :  11:48:05 AM  Show Profile
I will go with whatever the majority want. I have enough to do either. :)

Go to Top of Page

lovejanet
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Janet
La Canada California
USA
97 Posts

Posted - May 28 2006 :  2:13:48 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I get it...so I send in 16 charm squares, or 24, whichever we decide. I too a lot of fabric. Two per person sounds good to begin with...

love, janet
http://www.lovejanet.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 28 2006 :  6:01:14 PM  Show Profile
I am good with either 2 or 3 either..I have plenty to choose from!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsdehart
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Leslie
Oklahoma City OK
USA
11 Posts

Posted - May 28 2006 :  7:24:53 PM  Show Profile  Send lsdehart an AOL message
I'm really not trying to be dense (i promise!!) but if there are 8 of us, we all send 3 pieces, then there will only be 24 pieces overall right? So we'd all get three pieces back again. . . am I missing something?

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 28 2006 :  11:35:46 PM  Show Profile
each person sends 24 peices...3 for each person in the swap..and then gets back 24 ..three from each swapper. right???

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

earthcore
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Kate
Ohio
USA
19 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  05:30:34 AM  Show Profile
Would it be too much trouble for everyone to just pre wash the fabric? Then we wouldn't have to worry about shrinkage, etc.
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  07:02:34 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
We each send three colors of fabric ( but that is 8 pieces that are 12 x12 each = 8pieces x 3colors = 24 pieces of fabric in three colors) From the emails and the postes I have seen we are sending we are sending 3 colors so 24 pieces of fabric as it currently stands with a sase and notes to say washed or unwashed. Which I will relay on to the rest of the ladies which is which. I prefer to leave it this way as some people never wash their fabric before it goes into a quilt and some do. Every one knows which is which as it will be marked and those who like theirs washed can wash it. And those who do not wash theirs usually do not mind if they get washed fabric ( although they prefear unwashed as it cuts easier with a rotary so we will stay with wash and unwashed as it stands and notes. we are still at 8 people.

yes we send 24 pieces of fabric and get 24 back 3 of which will be your own that you sent in. But please send in those three as well it just makes it easier to sort if I can divided evenly and not stress of which is the one that kept their three thanks sunshine any more questions just ask.

1 day left to join

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on May 29 2006 07:44:29 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic who wants to start a charm swap Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page