Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Need help identifying old quilt.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Need help identifying old quilt. Next Topic  

angelsmith13
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Angel
westmoreland TN
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  5:47:23 PM  Show Profile
I bought this quilt at a yard sale today for $20. It is in great condition and I love it but I would like to know it's pattern, age and why it was made the way it was. If you could help I would be greatful. Here's the picture http://13thstreetoddities.googlepages.com/quilt

Thanks,
Angel

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  6:07:58 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
It is a type of "quilt as you go project"this way as you finished a block and sewed it on, it would be ready to use (similar to a yoyo concept). It is a type of flying geese pattern even though they are not chassing each other in this. (how well is the quilting done I looked at your close ups and it was hard to count them with out a ruler for a gauge. What you do is lay a ruler next to 10 differnt spots on the quilt and count the number of stitches you see each time then divide by 10 and take the aveage. you want the number to be as close to twelve as possible to have a real good quilter the higher a great quilter if it is like 5 or worse you have a novice quilter. The seams holding the blocks together are not as good as I would like to see but it is a very interesting technique. Those stitches holding then together should be almost invisible and they are very visible tends to make me believe it was a novice quilter. Not sure of the age of the quilt as I can't find my book of dating fabric at the moment. It looks like the person left their knots top side insead of inbedding them in the quilt between layers this is also the sign of a novice. It looks like 1960's to early 1970's to me.

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Jun 24 2006 06:53:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  10:34:32 PM  Show Profile
Pretty quilt!! Whatever the pattern ( I am not any help there with this one) it is sure worth the $20. I love it!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  07:43:03 AM  Show Profile
Sunshine gave a good evaluation. Whatever the level of quilter who did your quilt, one thing is sure. She created a very comfy looking quilt that took a lot of time and determination. The pieces are not large and there are a lot of them. I really like the color distribution, too. I have seen this pattern called "Birds in the Air" and "Mosaic" in my book "American Patchwork & Quilting" from Better Homes and Gardens. Birds in the Air is a little more diamond shape and Mosaic forms squares with the triangles. I would agree that your quilt is probably thirty years old or a little more.

You got a find there! It is very pretty.

Peace

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jun 24 2006 07:53:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  07:49:15 AM  Show Profile
Angel - What a pretty quilt. And what a steal for $20. I bought a handmade quilt last week for $25 from the woman who made it. It rather made me sad to see all that hard work go for so little. No matter what the level of ability, it's the thought of someone putting so much of themselves into something that draws me. Enjoy your new-found treasure.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  10:04:23 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I think it is a good find for 20.00. ( for being from the age it looks to be I am impressed with the quilters ability to ignore the ugly colors of the 60's and 70's and make something pretty

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  10:39:51 AM  Show Profile
I think $20 was a good buy for you, also! My first thought as to "why" it was done this way is that until maybe 10 years ago, there wasn't much batting available other than polyester, which just can't create an old looking quilt with all the little wrinkles the oldtimey ones have. The way yours is sewn together allowed the quilter to make a lot of great bunches of fabric, as though the batting shrunk after washing it.
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  10:47:38 AM  Show Profile
angel .. a very lovely quilt!!! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  11:30:31 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
The reason people make quilt as you go type of quilts is so that they are transportable as you are making them the little pieces that is and once you add those pieces to the quilt you can use the quilt as you go , such as you first get a little doll quilt,then you get a lap robe, then a couch blanket then twin size bed and so on till the desired size is hit, and you are using it the whole time and it has finished edges this is the reason why it is practical

fyi I have been making quilts for over 20 years and have taugh on and off for 10 years and have been past historian in the Utah Valley Quilt Guild this is just so you know I am not just guessing on what I have told you it is educated guessing. The fabric alone would cost more than 20.00

sometimes this pattern is also called stormy sea. Typically then it is in blue and white that is why I didn't mention that name earlier as that is not your colors

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Jun 24 2006 9:15:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

angelsmith13
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Angel
westmoreland TN
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  11:56:32 AM  Show Profile
You all have been so helpful! The lady I bought it from said she thought that it was made in the 60's. Most of the quilts I have seen made around then were made of , what sunshine said "ugly", clashing fabrics. And that awful polyester. Those quilts are not comfy at all. This one is soft and pretty so that lady must have had a good eye. My grandmother used to make polyester quilt tops for people. The colors she used in those things made me question whether or not she was colored blind. LOUD!.
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  1:29:55 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
p.s. I love the items you make angelsmith13. You do hand make all your halloween stuff on your sight don't you. Halloween is my favortie holiday how much do you sell your stuff for. I don't have money right now but maybe we could do some sort of trade I love old looking halloween items. Thank you

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

angelsmith13
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Angel
westmoreland TN
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  10:10:52 PM  Show Profile
Yes I do hand make all of my halloween things. I have sold all of the items that I have pictured except the witch plaque and lamp in my ebay store. I haven't had a lot of time to make things lately because my kids are out of school for summer vacation. 2 teenagers ~ 1 boy and 1 girl with alot of loud hungry friends. I think I may have just figured out why I love fall so much. But I will be making some new things soon and I will have them listed. I appreciate that you liked them. And I actually do sew on a treadle sewing machine. Not because I'm against electricity but because I'm against that electric piece of junk that ALWAYS breaks down during the very last part of a long sewing project. Well that and I'm too cheap right now to buy another. My best friend thinks I'm nuts to spend $120 on the attachments to my antique singer when I could get another electric one for around that. But the truth is I love that thing. Modern household objects are just not made as well or as beautiful as they used to be. Thanks again Sunshine.
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  08:31:28 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
If you ever make another doll or lamp shade I would be interested or any of the items you have list on your home page. I just don't have any money right now as my husband hasn't received a paycheck in over a month I could very willingly trade you. I make lace Since you make halloween stuff I could make black and orange lace separt and together then you could use that in future projects. If this sounds intersting let me know. Nancy jo and aunt george have seen my lace and there is a picture somewhere on aunt george's site of some I have made.

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Jun 25 2006 12:24:50 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Need help identifying old quilt. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page