Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 dried apple doll heads
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic dried apple doll heads Next Topic  

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  12:00:05 PM  Show Profile
I was looking around online at different primitive dolls and I just fell in love with a little gnarly old lady doll I saw... I started out actually looking for kitchen witch ideas because I decided I wanted to make some for a few of my favorite friends, and thats when I ran across my crusty little inspiration..

I want to make one of these but I keep finding suggestions of using a food dehydrator to make it.. is this something that I can do by just letting my apple sit out and wither on a stick? I saw some very vague suggestions on that but no one has said for how long it takes and if I need certain conditions for that or what.

If I can get results that way I don't mind making my kitchen look like a tribe of cannibles live here, but if I am gong to end up with a bunch of moldy slime on a stick I'm not interested in that.

Tips and quips would be appriciated!

B.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  1:00:55 PM  Show Profile
I've made a few apple heads and they are a hoot...you never really know what they'll look like until they're dried. I just carved the apples into faces (really exaggerate the features including wrinkles). Leave the stems on if you can as you can hang them by the stems to dry. I just dipped the apples in straight vinegar and hung them in my very warm and airy plant room. It did take a long time to dry them thoroughly though...a couple months if I remember right. I still have a couple here that I haven't given away and they are almost six years old now and still are okay. I made an old woman and used grey lamb's wool to make her hair into a bun. She's hilarious.
Have fun...each face is different and a surprise.
Di
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  1:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
My grandmother made some she dried them hanging in the garage in the middle of summer ( 105 degrees in summer where I grew up it was hotter than than in the garage) and left them. When they were fully dried she shillacked (sp?) them I remember these from before I was 5 years old and they are still around 30 some odd years later. If you leave the stem and alot of the top of the apple peel it can make a really cool little hat on the person. I wish I had one of my grandmothers as there are only 2 left that haven't been given away they are just so cool. Have fun making them don't be afraid to experiment if it doesn't work put it in a tree with peanut butter on it and roll it in bird seed and watch the birds enjoy it as you carve another we did that.

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Jun 28 2006 3:26:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  2:59:21 PM  Show Profile
Ok good tips thanks.. I'll dip them in vinegar... I just looked, neither of my apples have stems so I'll try the wooden skewers.

Would polyurethane do the same job as the shillack (I don't know how to spell it either)?

I'm trying to think of a really hot place to put them where mice wouldn't get to them since I can't hang them up.

How much should I expect them to reduce in size? I hope to work on the bodies and clothes while I am waiting on the heads to dry.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  3:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
If they dry fairly quickly they won't shrink to much ( if 1/3 to 1/2 is not to much) I don't know if polyurethae would do the same as shillack (sp?) You could try and see what happens. If it does not have a steam you can still hang itget a real long doll needle thread one piece of cotton crochet yarn ( thread size 10) on it with both tales through the eye forming a loop pass needle through core of apple on oppsite side of apple pass the two ends of thread through two different holes on one button tie knot and hang from loop You do not want this item resting flat while drying as it can rot on that spot or dry crocked all kinds of weird stuff. My grand mothe framed one of hears with no body in a shadow boxs sounds weird but it looks neat it was one that had an apple peal hat.

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  6:25:37 PM  Show Profile
We had a neighbor that taught me how to make apple head dolls when I was a girl. She used shellac to preserve them. I would use a water based poly if you are going that route. Shellac gives a deeper color.
Have fun!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2006 :  11:22:21 AM  Show Profile
Wow Bobbi,

I started trying to make these dolls many years ago, but didn't really know what I was doing. My first daughter was just a baby and I had seen some at an art fair and decided to try and make them. It didn't work well - cuz I really had no clue how to dry the apples properly. Let me know how it goes. Sounds like fun.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2006 :  12:41:57 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
http://www.tpt.org/donnasday/creative/activ24.html

http://www.dryit.com/applehead.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_3900_make-apple-head.html

http://www.seedsofknowledge.com/appledolls.html

http://www.mtnlaurel.com/Crafts/apple.htm

http://www.make-stuff.com/projects/apple_dolls.html

http://library.thinkquest.org/J0112442/appledoll.html

here are lots of sites for help with this if any one wants to do this

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  08:51:48 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
please post a picture when you have carved one then again after it has dried so we can all see the change

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  09:18:02 AM  Show Profile
Just carved them last night and the digital camera is already packed in with a bunch of camping gear, but I will be certain to take a picture when we get back!

B.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  10:25:08 PM  Show Profile
I'd love to see them too. I saw one apple headed doll once and it was wonderful! I would like to try it too, but it is so humid here in VA. Sunshine, I'll go through some of those sites soon too! Thanks farmgirl friends!
Georgann
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic dried apple doll heads Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page