Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 who wants to start a charm swap
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic who wants to start a charm swap Next Topic
Page: of 5

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 18 2006 :  09:50:57 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I am interested in who wants to do a charm square swap. I am willing to be in charge of it. If interested please let me know. Also what type of swap meaning the size of the block and such ( maybe a color them or random colors lets see what happens) then we can all vote on that and .

have a lovely day

earthcore
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Kate
Ohio
USA
19 Posts

Posted - May 18 2006 :  11:00:13 AM  Show Profile
I'm interested!
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - May 18 2006 :  12:17:23 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
Im interested, but what exactly is a charm square? Im excited to hear more!

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 18 2006 :  1:17:29 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
a charm square is a square of fabric a given size usually 2x2 or 3x3 or 4x4 or 6x6 8x8 10x10 or 12x12 or any combination of those some people trade only one size some trade lots of sizes. It is best to just do one it makes it simple. If enough people want to do this we can have a vote on the prefeared size of square

a 12 x12 is the most common and the most usefull so it is probably best to do that there could be a button swap with this. 1 button per each fabric that could be cute in decorating the finished item

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on May 18 2006 2:53:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  06:48:10 AM  Show Profile
I do not mean to put a damper on this swap, and by all means I think swapping in general, and sewing swaps in particular are wonderful, but I still haven't gotten all of the charm squares from the LAST swap we did. Of the 29 charm packages I sent before Christmas, I have only recieved 9 in return to date.

I think the way to solve this problem is to have an absolute deadline, and everyone sends their squares to ONE person (the hostess), the hostess would then split up the squares and send them back to everyone who has participated.

Sunshine, you mentioned that you could be in charge, but if this method is too demanding, I will volunteer to do it.

Annie

Bramblestitches Store: www.bramblestitches.etsy.com
NEW blog: http://bramblestitches.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  07:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I was not in this group in december so I know nothing about previous swaps and yes sending them all to one person then mailing them out from there is what I had in mind it makes it easy to figure out who has and who has not sent theirs in yet

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  08:00:33 AM  Show Profile
Awesome. I'm in, then.

Annie

Go to Top of Page

earthcore
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Kate
Ohio
USA
19 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  10:55:32 AM  Show Profile
I like the idea of everyone sending in fabric from the same color family. And i like the idea or the centralized swap sorter too.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  10:55:15 PM  Show Profile
I'm in too...fabricaholic here..can't resist!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  09:51:32 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I know a few people said they are interested are there any others and next question how long should I wait to see how many people want to do this.

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  10:45:41 AM  Show Profile
Well, why don't you set a deadline to be signed up, to give people that don't read the forums as often a chance to see this thread. Anyone not on the wagon by then could be put on a list for the next go 'round. Then once the sign up list is final, have a deadline to recieve all charm squares. So for example, let's say the signup deadline is June 1, everyone gets their squares to you by June 15, and you have them back in the mail to us by June 30. That gives everyone plenty of time to cut and mail squares, and gives you plenty of time to divy them up and get them back on the road. I think if you keep at a month or shorter turnaround it will make it easier to keep this going for several more rounds.

Annie

Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  11:18:50 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
sure that is great june 1st ( to join) and 15 ( to get in mail to me) and 30 ( for me to get in mail to you all)

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  11:36:19 AM  Show Profile
How many squares are we sending in this swap and what size?

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  11:49:08 AM  Show Profile
Hmm.. I don't know how many we should send for each person. I'd prefer 6" squares or 12" squares. Maybe we should wait to see how many people sign up to decide. Also we need to decide how we'll pay for postage. Perhaps we should wiegh our squares that we're sending to Sunshine, then send $ to Sunshine for our return postage, or maybe a SASE, instead.

Annie

Edited by - AnnieT on May 24 2006 11:49:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  1:03:11 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
we are doing 12 inch squares ( so if you like 6 inch squares you can always cut it to that size) as for how many we will decided that once we know how many people are in the group. As for postage either way is good you can put money in the squares when you send them or you can enclose a self addressed stamped envelope I am good with either plan especially since my husband may lose his job today they closed 1/2 of his company yesterday.

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on May 24 2006 4:38:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  3:15:22 PM  Show Profile
I like the idea of self addressed stamped envelopes...easier for everyone!!
12" Squares will be fun. We did 6 inch ones last time. I just like the idea of new fabrics..in any size!! I do think that smaller than 6" wouldn't be as useful!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

lovejanet
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Janet
La Canada California
USA
97 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  4:28:22 PM  Show Profile
Hello, please count me in for the charm square swap. I love fabric and have a lot of great pieces, I think. I am always on the lookout for new prints. I can send in by the 15th, and send a sase. Just let me know how many and where to send to.

love, janet
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  4:36:32 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I don't want to post my mailing address on the site so if you just click on my name you can send me an email saying you are in and I will send an email back to you with my address this will also give me an exact count as I will have an email from every one who wants to do this.

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

blazesch1
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Janice
AMARILLO TX
USA
14 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  06:32:37 AM  Show Profile
OK , I'm in too. Sign me up .

Janice
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  07:36:57 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
ok since we are getting near the signing up deadline lets start to talk more about the details of the swap
size 12 in square
mailed to sunshine sorted then mailed back

are we wanting to do 1 piece of fabric from each person to each person so if we have 12 people the 12 square this is a randome numer not the actual count or are we wanting to trade 2 or 3 types of fabric from each person ( meaning if we had 12 people you would get back 24 or 36 squares)or more if that is what people want, open to suggestions on this.

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on May 25 2006 07:38:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  08:57:17 AM  Show Profile
I'll get my thinker on about the number of pieces. I think it would be nice to get at least two from each person, but I know that turns in to some substantial yardage if we have a lot of people signed up. I have a healthy stash, so whatever anyone decides is fine with me.

I also have a suggestion for the mailing process. It will probably be best if we use Priority Mail Flat-Rate envelopes, that way no matter how much the packages weigh, they'll cost $4.05 to mail (within the states, anyway). You can get them for free at the P.O., I think.

Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  09:15:30 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
how ever anyone wants to mail them is up to them that is fine with me and probably cheeper for all. we discussed that every one would send their own sase so they could do that and put it in their package when they send it to me that would be great then I can easily send it back.

so far we are up to six people
sunshine (me)
AnnieT
Lovejanet
earthcore
aunt jenny
blazesch1

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on May 25 2006 09:20:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

lovejanet
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Janet
La Canada California
USA
97 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  12:20:29 PM  Show Profile
yes, i was driving today and thought a pre-paid priority envelope would be a good idea.
Good thinking Annie!

love, janet
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  1:57:23 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
add one more we now are 7

#7 sugarsfarm

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

blazesch1
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Janice
AMARILLO TX
USA
14 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  2:06:01 PM  Show Profile
Count me in also !

Janice
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  2:12:44 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
[quote]Originally posted by blazesch1

Count me in also !

Janice

I already did you are in the first 6 counted thank you for making sure always great to double check

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on May 25 2006 2:13:26 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic who wants to start a charm swap Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page