craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  04:45:35 AM  Show Profile
I, craftystranger, hereby pledge to declutter my home!! I will be able to get to the nitty-gritty when our youngest moves back to college. This is his last year. My plan is to reorganize my household. Last summer we had a houseful - six adults, two dogs and one cat. No decluttering that year. Wedding gifts everywhere. Our oldest has left- taken his bride, dog, and about 90% of their belongings. My weakness is dishes....what do you do with the things and dishes that have been handed down? I try to use some things everyday. But I have other things that I don't use but cann't seem to give away. Example a milkglass flower vase that is quite strange but it was my grandmother's. Any ideas? Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  07:35:43 AM  Show Profile
I started seriously decluttering a couple months ago, well, what I thought was serious. A couple weeks ago decided I was going to paint the entire inside of the house room by room. I started in the master bedroom and decluttered with a vengeance. On to my son's room and the same again. I still have his clothes to go through but got rid of quite a bit of stuff. I can't believe how much paper kids collect!! Anyway, my plan is to attack each room as I paint because I have to empty them anyway, so two rooms done and eight more to go.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  08:08:32 AM  Show Profile
I have been reading a book called-(I think) Throw Out 50 Things-I have started & have boxes for a garage sale going! It goes room by room-helps me to keep focused if I don't leave the area I am working in-my mind tends to wander.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  08:14:26 AM  Show Profile
Here is a link: http://api.ning.com/files/zUjBWfGo-KaJCL47wC75s-rVJxXO746GD2pCrvb6rziMwulVlssdvIx3*-R0fJWtbqDVlQZuNfkGdIqRR3UgOUGKIhQjO9um/ThrowOutFiftyThingsWorkbook.doc
This is a workbook from her site that walks you through the Throw out process!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  09:13:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for sharing that Karla! That looks interesting!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  09:22:33 AM  Show Profile
I live in a small old school house now & most of my stuff is in tubs! I miss having a sewing room & place to work. I am going through things & getting rid of everything but the absolute necessary items! I have a tub for both of my kids & anything that I find that I think they would want goes into their tub. When it gets full I am going to give it to them. I still have papers & such from when they were little. It is so hard to go through all of it! I am hoping to get one bedroom empty of the tubs so I can use it as my work room!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  1:02:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My biggest thing is getting our clothes paired down. Their are shirts and such that I just don't wear that I need to donate so someone else can use them. Then there are the broken and abused board games that either need to be made into a craft project for Nora or thrown out. Our coats are worn out and my new coat I bought this winter was stolen out of my car 2 weeks after I bought it. So I want to get rid of the worn out ones and buy new ones when it starts getting cold again.

My craft area is getting better but it's still not resolved yet. I have furniture that I need to move around in my house to make better use of our space.

However by rearranging our living room yesterday we already are using the space more wisely and my plant and fish are going to much happier with getting some real sunlight now!

Slowly but surly our house is feeling better and more hospitable.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

ZenGoddess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Cindy
MO
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  8:13:07 PM  Show Profile
We have started the clean up process, We loaded up the critter trailer with unneeded items and took them to town, mostly bigger things we knew we could let go of without any attachments. A lawn sweeper, cupboards, some sno fence, a freezer, one of my DH excercise machines, some hay feeders etc..didn't take long for the 4-horse trailer to be full ! This weekend we start taking items to the farmers market. My goal is to sell at least 50% of what I take! And YES it does feel good when someone buys your stuff and carries it away!!!

Hugs,
ZenGoddess/Southernplum
My life goal is to Simply - Simplify my life.
http://herbalcottage.blogspot.com
http://herbalcottage.etsy.com
http://southernplum.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  5:40:25 PM  Show Profile
Good for you farmgirls! I started last winter to d-clutter, downsize. If you get stuck and overwhelmed, just e-mail me and I'll give you encouragement. It feels so fantastic when you finally get it finished, even in one closet. We got through the whole house. Besides, when you have less, there is less to take care of. Don't throw out anything you love, use or is beautiful. I found the best part of de-cluttering is giving. My stuff made all kinds of people happy, but mostly me. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  9:34:24 PM  Show Profile
I have be hard at the declutterin! I even found lids in the kitchen that go to pans we got rid of years ago! They are now magnet holders for my DH's barn wall. They had removable handles in the middle of them and he took those out and screwed a block of wood to the wall through them and has fishin hooks hangin off the wood and magnets stuck to the metal!

I have filled both out rollin trash cans twice with all the papers, magazines, used up colorin books, torn or stained clothes (after the buttons and zippers and bows and such were removed), broken toys, broken appliances, containers without lids that wouldn't work for any other job, lids without containes (except a few small ones with deep rims to use for popsickle drip catchers), shoes that don't fit or have a mate or hurt the persons feet, expired meds and foods, broken knick knacks, and a reallllllyyyyyyy ugly picture that the whole family took great joy in seein go in the trash.

We have four 32 gallon trash bags of clothes and coats and other still really good toys for the church drop bin. It will be sent to several womens shelters.

I also have four plastic shoppin bags by the front door of other peoples stuff that somehow wound up here. I am makin the rounds friday to drop off everything that doesn't belong here anymore.

I am strippin all the things hangin on the walls that I don't totally love and redecoratin the whole house next week, so there will be probably 5 boxes that will need to go and 3 that need to come out of the barn so I can put up the stuff I've been storin instead of showin. I am declutterin the house and the barn loft in one motion. I figure I'll be done by the end of next month and I'm fairly sure after the loft and attic is sorted and gotten rid of I will be beyond my pledged amount!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  08:14:37 AM  Show Profile
I have 3 boxes of garage sale stuff. My daughter & I are having a garage sale a couple of weeks after her wedding........ I know I must be nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I am not alone cause she suggested it!!!!!!!!!!HAHA! I have one dresser in my bedroom empty. I am not sure I want to refill it!!!

Go to Top of Page

Motholelis Mom
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Deborah
Louisville CO
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  11:53:59 AM  Show Profile
I, Motholeli's Mom- Deborah, do solemnly pledge that this will be the year that my house becomes my home. Anything that is no longer useful, important or loved will find another home, and I will recycle/sell/donate as much of it as I can. And for keeping things from piling up again, I have adopted a new motto: Don't put it down, put it AWAY! If it doesn't have a home I will either make one or consider whether I really need it or not, in the moment it is in my hands, not "tomorrow" or "someday". .

I am encouraged to know I am not the only woman who struggles with this. And part of my clutter is all the books on organizing your home! I am married to the biggest hoarder who ever lived. Last weekend, I decided to reclaim the "linen closet" that has never held anything remotely resembling linen since I moved in. What joy pitching half-burned candles and almost empty shampoo bottles. And joy in discovering a stash of plant fertilizers I didn't even know we had! Do those things ever expire? But the sound of all this junk going into the trash almost put the hubby into heart failure, so next time I will send him to the coffee shop before I dig in to the task.

It is funny, because I set out creating a place for my vintage linens, and also found a place for extra bathtowels, so now the towel shelf in the bathroom is organized, AND I made a place for holiday towels so I can now actually close the towel drawer in the kitchen because it has been organized too, AND I made room for the extra sheets so now there is actually an empty shelf in the bedroom closet. One project became four. Honestly, I now stop in the hallway, open the linen closet door and just gaze with happiness at the neat stacks and rows of LINENS in there. Joy!

So my next project is throwing out all the old, half-used, expired supplements. Yippee! One little corner at a time makes my happy home! Thanks for sharing your journeys with me!
Blessings,
Deborah

Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret B. Runbeck
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  06:21:45 AM  Show Profile
I, Annie, hereby pledge to declutter my house.

Recently I got rid of all the 60 plastic containers (recycling bin).

My main focus is the paper file. I have boxes and boxes of papers it is getting quite overwhelming for me.

I will donate, sell or give away things I no longer need.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  10:14:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Deborah- Excellent idea sending him away while you clean! Good luck with tossing the expired stuff!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  11:22:12 AM  Show Profile
I Heather Burke, pledge to declutter and simplify my home, yard and out building. Objects that do not have a current or forseen use will be donated, recycled or disposed of accordingly. My goal is to have a workable space and to make it easier to pack up and go when our dream of moving to acreage comes to fruition.

I have already begun by donating 4 bags of clothing to the Humane Society Thrift Store, as well as some larger items, roll top desk and other furniture. I am organizing my food storage so I know what I have, not spread all over and to much duplication and waste.

The question I ask is "do I really need it or is it a want or is it part of a past life I want to hold onto a piece of"?

Heather

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/
http://littlehouseonthebumper.blogspot.com/ (My "glamper" page)

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  3:10:09 PM  Show Profile
This is great - thanks for starting this Alee.

I pledge to declutter my house by 20% (I don't want to go too crazy right away)and dispose of, recycle, and donate anything that does not add beauty or functionality to my house or person. I love the hanger idea. I've got a jacket hanging in my closet that has lots of dust on the shoulders. I think its time for it to go... I believe clutter in your life creates clutter in your mind. And since the mind is a terrible thing to lose, I'm getting rid of the excess.

Lorraine (aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
Go to Top of Page

barefootmama
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Jennifer
BLOOMSBURG Pennsylvania
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  3:19:46 PM  Show Profile  Send barefootmama a Yahoo! Message
I Jennifer M also pledge to de-clutter my house of all that is not being used...I will reduce reuse and recycle everything possible and will try our best to not accumulate this much again!!!!!!!

Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves,for they shall never cease to be amused:)
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2010 :  12:23:44 PM  Show Profile
Well, it's official, I'll be having a yard sale next Saturday! It actually works out pretty well because the Farmers' Market is right down the street from me, so on Saturdays our street gets a lot of traffic. So much to do to prepare! Any tips you have for me are welcome!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2010 :  2:19:41 PM  Show Profile
Label as you sort stuff out and don't foget a 'free' box for all the little bitty things that you think should be a nickle or less. People like that and it gives the kids somethin to dig through while the parents shop.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2010 :  3:51:34 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Angela! I really hope to get rid of some stuff that has been taking up space in my room for a while.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

MerryHeartSister
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Christy
Tuscaloosa Alabama
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  03:57:29 AM  Show Profile
I have already started on this. I have been asking God to guide my steps each day in managing my home. I want Him to help my concentrate my attention on what will bless my family the most. He has helped me with a system to get the children more consistent and helpful with chores. But He is unimpressed with the clutter that keeps me overwhelmed.

I, Christy Harrill, hereby pledge to continue decluttering at least 2 hours a week. If it hasn't been used recently and will not be used in the foreseeable future, it will be tossed in the appropriate manner. I also commit to spending at least 1 hour a week purging my craft stash by turning them into Christmas gifts.
Go to Top of Page

Motholelis Mom
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Deborah
Louisville CO
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  5:57:22 PM  Show Profile
Happy me! I went through all the old expired supplements, tossed them and recycled the bottles. I think my next project will be a bigger one. I need to organize my herb pharmacy/craft room. I will give away a lot of the acrylic yarns someone "thoughtfully" gave me from their garage sale expeditions when they knew I am a knitter. The clutter didn't happen overnight, so getting rid of it requires so much patience!
Blessings,
Deborah

-- Margaret B. Runbeck
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  6:13:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I cleaned my husband's desk area yesterday and took out a whole garbage sack of garbage. It's amazing how when someone isn't careful with their things how fast stuff like that will pile up! I also have at least 3 boxes that are no longer needed to hold Nora's toys since we down sized her collection while she was gone at her aunt's house. So I need to take care of getting those out of the house as well.

I agree- once you start seeing clean/clear space it gets addictive! I am determined to sew some cute dresses for Nora this winter and use up much of my fabric stash. I also have a project that I need to finish and mail off that would get rid of at least one HUGE box.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Motholelis Mom
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Deborah
Louisville CO
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  4:42:13 PM  Show Profile
How is everybody doing with their pledge? I sorted through all my yarn, haven't seen some of it in a long time. I really do have some nice ones. It was like going shopping without spending any money! I have definitely become a yarn snob over the years and could barely touch the acrylic yarns without cringing! I have bagged them up for donation to ARC, and I just know this stash of yarn will thrill somebody's heart! The craft room still has a ways to go to get it looking pretty. But now I am planning my next knitting project...and the one after that...and the one after that...
Blessings to all,
Deborah

-- Margaret B. Runbeck

Edited by - Motholelis Mom on Aug 08 2010 4:44:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  07:06:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Deborah- Isn't it fun to get re-inspired by your own craft stash? I am hoping to work on projects this winter and use up my fabric stash.

I am going to work on some more decluttering today. I am tired of some of the hoards I have around the house and I am sure they can go to the thrift shop to benefit someone else.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic DeClutter Pledge- Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: