MissLiss
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  10:50:34 AM  Show Profile
I, Melissa Bailey, pledge to declutter my house by 50% by the time this baby of mine is born in October! I've been slowly headed in this direction for a while now, but am realizing that I will need someplace to put all the baby stuff again! Room in the cabinets for bottles, diapers, etc. All that stuff we haven't had around for a few years! It's time to make some room!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Mother Hen to The Knitty Gritty Farmgirls of the Inland Empire
http://fabulousfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  9:11:21 PM  Show Profile
I have learned lately to "shop at home!"
There are so many fake flowers and fabric and beautiful paper here. I am determined to use what I have instead of being OCD and adding more to the situation. If it's kept at manageable levels I'll bet I will be better at keeping it organized [and put away!].
Smiles!
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!

http://familyhistoryfindings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MerryHeartSister
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Christy
Tuscaloosa Alabama
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  06:28:07 AM  Show Profile
I have really done a lot to reduce paper clutter. Paper clutter is my nemesis. And most of the time, it wins. I homeschool five children so all their papers are getting unmanagable too. So I got some office boxes. I gave a box to each of the children. That is where their school and art papers go. I have one box for manuals, torn magazine pages of recipes and crafts and catalogs. I have another for craft books. I'm going to have an index file card system so that when I'm done, I'll know exactly where that recipe or craft pattern or manual is.

In our household filing cabinet, I've thrown out every bank statement, insurance claim report, and utility bill. If I can look it up online or request the record in shorter time than it would take me to find the original in all the mess, then it got tossed. I've shredded so much paper.

Farmgirl #1951
Home is a gift that should be opened every day.
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  09:16:21 AM  Show Profile
Christy that sounds great!
I'll have to put that one in place.
'Corse I'll have to buy fewer bankers boxes so I don't find it necessary to fill them up. Snicker.Snicker.

Dad and I moved about the same time over here to the Front Range. When I went to see Dad's new house I noted that even the rentals here seem to have huge amounts of kitchen cabinetry. Dad showed me how he'd arranged his cookware and foodstuffs. "Is this right?"
I told him to arrange it the way that is most convienent to him. I noted that Marth Stewart and those types recommend putting the supplies nearest to where you use them most.
Well, Dad had empty cupboards. That's because neither of us has unused appliances that we have to store above the fridge or in the back of larger cupboards.
I said, "Did you ever notice that Americans can't have empty cupboards or drawers? They have to fill them with something. We're trained that way." {I'll bet that came from a time when we didn't have storage in kitchens and bathrooms unless it was brought in].
We learned from our parents and they learned from their parents to use all available space in a house. We have acquired more things then our grandparents and great-grandparents though [burger press anyone?].

I decided that there was nothing wrong with having unused cupboards in a house. I don't know how long they will stay that way. But at least I don't have stuff hanging around that I don't use but feel obliged to store. Woo Hoo!

Smiles!
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  09:23:02 AM  Show Profile
six bags went to the thrift store. Just hope I don't buy them back.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  09:26:40 AM  Show Profile
Oh Nancy, When I do that I have to stay out of that thrift store for a few days...
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!

Go to Top of Page

katrina
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Katrina
The Dalles Oregon
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  1:25:27 PM  Show Profile
I, Katrina Burbank, do hereby pledge to de-clutter my home. I started by getting rid of clothes I never wear, and am now going to try the hanger idea! Hubby is going to work with me, and we're going to do one room at a time. This home belongs to US, not our STUFF.

Thanks for the thread!

www.WorkOfArtCreations.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  1:17:44 PM  Show Profile
Today I went through the junk drawers in my kitchen and came away with a seven pound bag of JUNK. Parts of things, things I haven't used in years, things I didn't know what they were for..I called a scrap metal hauler and he took away a parrot cage, metal cabinet and dehumidifier sitting down in the basement. I have a bag of of old clothes not even fit for Goodwill so they're going bye-bye too. My new mantra is "I have more than enough". You don't realize how much stuff you have till you start getting rid of it.
Cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  4:18:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ladies- I have to say I am still a disorganzied mess- but I am decluttering away. Found out none of my books that I have on my shelf for college are worth anything for resell so I am going to see if I need to keep any and the rest I am going to donate to a shelter or something. Who knows- maybe they will help someone. But overall the house is in a LOT better shape. Just 1 hour of cleaning actually makes a dent where as before I just wanted to cry because I could never see any change. I am very pleased that at least I am making some progress!

I also have come to the conclusion that I need more shelves/organization!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Motholelis Mom
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Deborah
Louisville CO
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  11:19:14 AM  Show Profile
I found my dining room table!

Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret B. Runbeck
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  7:20:05 PM  Show Profile

way to go gals.I de-cluttered last year and I realize I need to do it again, Now. Our oldest son just moved a ton of stuff back to our house while he is moving. What goes out seems to come back in (lol). Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  2:31:53 PM  Show Profile
I, Michele Kirkman, pledge to de clutter my home so I can actually see the carpeting
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2010 :  10:26:54 PM  Show Profile
just remember when you have a garage sale that anything left over does not come back in the house!!!! hehehehe that was so hard for me to do.. But I stuck to it and I have not needed any of the things I either threw out or donated. I still have a ways to go in my craft room but I am going to keep working on that one to get it down to where I can see the tops of the tables!!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  05:16:17 AM  Show Profile
I, Star Schipp, to hereby pledge to declutter my home by 50% by starting with taking all of those bags (note: plural!!!) of clothing that are sitting in my laundry room to the Goodwill - there are actually size three clothes in there and my youngest son wears a size ten. I also pledge to keep you posted on my progress weekly. If you do not hear from me, LET ME KNOW! (thanks).

We can do no great things; only small things with great love - Mother Teresa

farmgirl sister #1927
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  4:30:24 PM  Show Profile
I, Tammy Bradshaw, do hereby pledge to declutter my home in 2010/2011. My goal will be to clean my home and remove unnecessary items. Giving will be a top priority, our local resale shop will be the recipient of my unused / not needed or wanted treasures.

I actually started this last week after moving my youngest to college. Completely cleaned up our bedroom and took 4 bags of good but not wanted clothes to the resale shop. My next room to clean up will be the bathroom. I have charted out each room on a calendar so I can keep track of my progress and have the joy of crossing off what is done.

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  06:06:24 AM  Show Profile
I took 5 bags of clothing to the Goodwill, cleaned out the pantry and took inventory of what I still had in the deep freezer this weekend. Next project - all of those plastic containers that seem to multiple in my cabinet but I can never find a lid that fits!

farmgirl sister #1927
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  06:37:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Awesome job Starletta! If you get your kitchen organized there is a merit badge in it for you!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  06:51:59 AM  Show Profile
I didn't know that! Thanks for the info.

farmgirl sister #1927
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  07:23:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yes one of them deals with getting rid of all your unmatched containers that aren't doing you any good. Also you can use ones that don't have a lid to help organize junk drawers and such (holders for nuts and bolts etc). But in the spirit of decluttering I have decided that if I am going to repurpose something- the project has to be done right then or the item has to be disposed of.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

LauraJane
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Laura
Denver CO
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  1:54:03 PM  Show Profile
What great motivation!!!

I, Laura Jane W., pledge to declutter my house (even if it may be a little at a time!) I will get rid of and donate all items that I do not need, and put away and store all other items the way they should be! Instead of piles of books stacked on every surface in sight, and doggie toys spread all over the house and yard! It's actually kind of amazing how my dog doesn't even touch all the clutter that is lying all over the house right now!

Ok, I'm getting started right now!

Laura

Farmgirl #2005

May you be happy, may you be well!
Go to Top of Page

Motholelis Mom
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Deborah
Louisville CO
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  2:11:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls of my heart! I never know when the mood will strike me now! Did the laundry yesterday and tried to shove socks into a drawer that wouldn't even close! So right then and there, the sock drawers AND the underwear drawer got organized and thinned out. During my lunch hour today, I returned two things that had been loaned to us eons ago. This is addictive!

-- Margaret B. Runbeck
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  4:52:46 PM  Show Profile
That's the thing, doing it right when we see it!
I know that if I put down something for "later" then it gets forgotten.
I've done pretty good keeping up the little house the last four weeks [but then, I haven't been working the last four weeks either].
Lets see how I do keeping up with this after I go back to work...
Smiles!
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!

Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  5:57:02 PM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
You call it declutter, I call it passing on things to others, because I do not have the want or need in me to have them. that, I did when I started collecting them. They are still good and nice. Over the years I just have gotten to much. Just much more now then when I was a kid in the 50's Now I have come full circle and it is time to be simple once again. Giving these things to others who can use them. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

Motholelis Mom
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Deborah
Louisville CO
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  12:25:12 PM  Show Profile
Lilly, the hillarious thing is that much of the clutter I am trying to get rid of was once somebody else's clutter that they were clearing out and gave to my husband, the Collector! He now has to ask me before accepting something offered!
Deborah

-- Margaret B. Runbeck
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  7:10:04 PM  Show Profile
I think that's what happens with garage sales Deborah! The stuff people are selling at their garage sale is things they bought from someone else's garage sale!
Smiles!
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic DeClutter Pledge- Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page