Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  08:26:21 AM  Show Profile
Angela, there is some great advice here. Don't get discouraged, you are doing great. Once you get over the first big hurdle things will get easier. Just keep it up. Don't forget to live though, the stuff will be there when you get to it. Children grow so fast...enjoy them. Make time for a little silly every day.

Age only matters if you are wine or cheese.
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  05:41:59 AM  Show Profile
Hang in there and take a moment this weekend to enjoy your kids company. As others have said the house will always be there and cleaning is never ending, and soon your kids will be grown and out of the house.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  10:02:38 AM  Show Profile
I am ignoring the house for the most part this whole weekend. We have 2 gardens and a few berry boxes that need a lot of attention and a cookout at my DF for the fourth. I am gonna try to make this my relaxing time. I love my gardens, so it's not work. More like therapy or meditation, as I don't notice a thing that's happenin around me when I'm there. I have to make a batch of homemade baked beans tonight. My nephew says mine are better than any he's ever had and he's leaving for ministarial college on the 28th. So I'm making beans for him this weekend and the weekend of his goodbye party. I guess I better head out to the garden.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  2:02:57 PM  Show Profile
Good for you, Angela! I am sitting here on my laptop, ignoring my house. Lol. I took tomato cuttings this afternoon and then got rained out. Oh well! I use my garden as therapy, too. I love to weed!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  7:00:30 PM  Show Profile
the entire community plot is weeded and nearly ready for our late plantings. I will start on the home garden in the morning. I am so tired I dont even care about the house. I'm gonna shower and go to bed. Everyone enjoy your fourth tomorrow!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

36paws20hooves
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Danielle
Weirsdale Florida
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  03:45:21 AM  Show Profile
Angela, I know what you mean. There are just not enough hours in the day! Although I do not have children I do have 4 horses, 5 dogs, 4 cats, and a potbellied pig. I work F/T and am working on my Bachelors. I take at least one class a semester 3 days/week sometimes 2 if I can find another online for the same semester. Those days are up at 0500 and down between 2400-0100. I have a 10 acre farm with a small (16X32) garden. Unfortunately I didn't have much time to dedicate and lost my garden this spring :( I am the only one here to handle things. Everyone, friends and family, always questions "How do you do it?" I DO NOT even know how I do it sometimes. It is what needs to be done in "life" so I do it and you don't think twice about it. Beeeeeelieve me girlfriend I know what you are talking about. Good luck.... just remember you have to make time for yourself and the one close to you.... you never get that time back and when you are long gone.... REALLY who is going to care how well your house was organized. Good Luck

I'm so busy I don't know if I just found a rope or lost my horse!
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  05:17:30 AM  Show Profile
My cousin says that housework is like stringing beads without a knot in your string. Never gets done. I try to keep mine reasonably clean, mainly the kitchen, living room and dining room. The den is our real living area and it tends to get messy but usually 15 or 20 minutes takes care of that. I have a friend that starts every day cleaning her house and it always looks amazing and she is constantly exhausted and sick. I'd rather have a little dust and be able to enjoy life.
Happy 4th of July everybody.

Judy

"Speak your mind and ride a fast horse"
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  2:17:46 PM  Show Profile
Angela...reading your post helped me to realize just how lucky I am to be a very organized person. It only takes me an hour a day (maybe) to do my necessary chores, like laundry, making beds, dishes, vacuuming, bookkeeping etc. I garden, bake or do canning in the morning and evenings when it is cooler and give myself two hours a day to quilt,sew,scrapbook or write. I am the most confortable with my life as I have ever been and it feels good! I have a husband, three kids, three grandkids, a horse, 2 goats, 30 chickens and three dogs and an 8 room 150+ year old farmhouse, and a 60 x 70 foot garden to take care of and a part time job at a local university. All of these things look to me to be the "keeper", so I'm blessed to be the person I am. I wasn't always like this either. It is do-able. Just take it one step at a time....and breathe...lol All the previous posts have excellent advice. Takes bits and pieces from all of them. Don't dwell too much on starting the process of cleaning and organizing...just start. You have to be ruthless about getting rid of "stuff". Keep only the essentials that you use and what helps to run your home and nurture your family. Take one drawer, one closet at a time. You'll get there....
Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  9:13:03 PM  Show Profile
I haven't touched the house all weekend. We just came in and put away the leftovers from the cookout. My girls ran through the house while I was makin room in the fridge for all the food. It took about 20 minutes and the house is presentable! I still have a few piles of books in the corner, but that has to wait for a bookshelf. Which, by the way, I have room for now! I know it's only two rooms, but it is such a blessing to me. The dishes need done, but it's less than a sink full so it can wait till tomorrow. I wish I had the whole house this set up. I'm gonna try to get at it this week, but I have the market to get ready for as well. I'll see what I can get done a little at a time.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  08:27:34 AM  Show Profile
YOU GO GIRL!!!!! See, once you got started, everything is gonna fall into place before you know it. Just make sure that as you're forging ahead that all the work you've done so far doesn't get left behind. I'm very proud of you!

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  8:35:29 PM  Show Profile
Just the fact that we could all relate to your situation in one way or another shows how common it is among women. I used to have a friend who said the womens lib movement just made it where we had to work outside the home AND inside the home lol. There is one storage tip I have I didn't see in the threads. I buy plastic totes at yard sales and auctions. I store one with paper cups,plates, picnic supplies, one with blankets, one with 4h supplies etc. They don't let mice in for one thing but help me organize also.
They stack well on the bottom of the closet. I bought a shoe organizer that hangs on the inside of the closet door and that made room for the totes. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  10:13:31 PM  Show Profile
I have to rearrange my living room tomorrow. We were given a piano! It's a player and a manual piano, which is amazing! We all want to learn to play it. I hate to have to start moving things around, but it shouldn't be so bad since it's one of my clean rooms. I don't have to haul stuff to another room just to be able to move the furniture anymore! I have turned down wonderful things for my home because of the clutter and chaos, now I don't have to. We have wanted to make the living room music themed with my Hubby's guitars on the wall and his dulcimer and banjo on top of the tv. Now we can add a piano along the back wall with photos on top of it! I am so excited!

I love the totes idea, but maybe with a little tweak. My Hubby just built me floor shelves to put under the clothes in our closet for shoes and shorts. I think the totes could really help out in the storage barn. We need to set them up for the grilling stuff, the boating stuff, the party supplies, the picnic stuff, the camping stuff, and the pool stuff. Maybe the girls could split their outside toys up by type, soccer, volleyball, water toys, and sand things. We could probably clear off the attic storage area and set the totes there. It would open the floor up for my Hubby to organize his tools and be able to work on stuff.

I agree with the comment about womens lib, I am trying to do all the stuff in the house and have a market stand at the farmers market. It's a little much for me most of the time. I am gonna skip the market this week and work on stockin up my jellies and cookies. I can make several batches of cookies and freeze them in waxed paper in ziplock bags. Then I only have to thaw them as needed. I only sell about ten bags each week, but a batch makes 15-20 bags. I will also be spendin a lot of time in my garden weedin and dreamin. I need the garden time to ease my mind. It's my form of meditation. I think I'm over stressin on everything right now. I kinda snapped at the girls when the baked beans took too long to cook on fourth of july. I'm gonna recharge in my garden and get the rest of my summer plantings in. That will make me feel refreshed and like I've really done something for my family. My girls are over halfway through the spring planted carrots, so I need more out anyhow.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  10:26:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Angela- You are doing so great! I am inspired by all that you are getting done! Keep up the great work!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  1:41:40 PM  Show Profile
I am speachless! I have found myself wandering through my house lookin around feelin lost twice today. I have the baby down for a nap and that is my heavy cleanin time, but I have nothing to do! Her bed is in my bedroom, so I can't clean it. The bathroom has been straightened and cleaned. The kitchen and living room only took 15 minutes to clean. I am doin laundry and the sheets and diapers get hung in there, which makes it very interesting to try and load the washer when they are hangin, so I can't clean in there for about an hour. I already moved everything I could before my Hubby gets home to help with the big stuff, so the piano spot is as done as I can get it. I'm gonna grab the book I've been tryin to read and sit down for a little while! Yea!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  3:38:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi Angela,
As I read your original post I thought that you sound like me a few years ago. I homeschooled all 5 of our kids and worked part time. I was a Sunday school teacher, nursing home volunteer and 4-H leader. I tried to have a garden, tried to keep our small 860 square foot house clean and organized, tried to make wholesome and natural meals, tried to remember my nieces and nephews birthdays, tried to... (you get the picture). I did not succeed at much of it.

At the time I could not see that I was succeeding at the most important job I needed to be doing- loving my family. All that I could see were lesson plans that needed to be taught, the dirty laundry, sticky floors, weeds and piles of magazines with great articles about household orginazation!

Fast forward a few years and my house is clean and organized. The gardens are florishing, I bake bread often, the floors are not sticky. What happened to get me from where I was to where I am? The kids grew up. They grew up and in retorspect I see that their childhood years were not chaos and disorgainzation; but cuddles, snacks in blanket tents in the livingroom, flashlight walks and stargazing.

The best advice I ever received was a poem with this line: "... So quiet down cobwebs/ Dust go to sleep/ I'm rocking my baby/ and babies don't keep."

Oh, yes, Flylady is great!

Peace,
Lida
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  4:37:16 PM  Show Profile
Angela,

First a big hug! Just reading everything you have to do makes me tired. If you take a step back and look at all you feel you have to get done, its more than one person could do in one day. It sounds like you need to delegate some of the jobs (kids maybe?) and then give yourself permission to not have everything perfect everyday. Homeschooling in itself is a huge job, I homeschooled 1 child and that was a lot of work. How you would do that, keep a house spotless, cook all the meals, do laundry, garden, etc and then learn new things is beyond me. Perhaps, sitting down with your DH and prioritizing your jobs. Once that's done, letting everyone know what the scoop is and if they don't like that something isn't done they are always free to pitch in to make sure it gets done. My prayers are with you.

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  5:22:17 PM  Show Profile
congrads girl, I knew you could do it....

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  10:18:03 PM  Show Profile
Lida! That line made me cry! That's amazing! I got to sit and rock my little one this evening. Usually her big sister does that while I work on the house. Tonight I was the one who rocked her when she had a hard time fallin to sleep. She didn't fit in my arms anymore. She set on my lap and laid her head on my shoulder. Lately my 2 older girls are tellin me her new words and the new things she's doin. I hate it. I didn't even realize how bad things had gotten till I had to relearn how to hold my own baby! :( I am not gonna let this go on. I am not gonna wait till she's too big for my lap to rock my baby again! I am still very overwhelmed and very nervous, but that's just gonna have to be. I am not gonna have a perfect house at the expense of a happy family. I am gonna find a way for all my girls to help with the needed daily chores, we will work together on them. I am gonna do the heavy cleanin and organizin during nap time or grandma time. I am gonna drag the sand box and outside toys out by the garden so they can be with me then too. Maybe we'll get some little wheelbarrows or use one of the wagons so the can help with weed haulin and harvestin.

Do you have the whole poem or the author and title so I could look it up. I'd love to read it.

Theresa, thank you. I am quite proud of what I've accomplished. I've learned a lot too. I am gonna be makin stews and soups friday while I bake muffins and breakfast burritos. I will also pull out the waffle maker and see how many waffles I can fit in four gallon bags. I will have a whole shelf to stock up on after I pull out the stew meat and two corned beefs, which will be in the crockpot for slicin up for sandwich meat and reuben casserole. My mom is lending me her extra crockpot so I can throw somethin in it for dinner that night. My dad bought me a crockpot cookbook when he heard I was tryin to organize the house and our schedules for the family. I have been really workin the recipes in it pretty hard. Even puttin leftover baked beans and the hot dogs from the 4th in it for dinner tonight. Did you know crockpot boiled whole potatoes taste just like baked potatoes only moister and make an awesome way to use up leftovers as tater topping?

To everyone, I have to say thank you. I truly believe knowin there were others who were goin through the same things was wonderful. I felt better knowin there were people who cared enough to read what I was feelin and write something to try to help me. I think in a lot of ways my problem was more emotional and mental than physical. I feel like all you girls are standin right beside me whisperin in my ear tellin me that it's all okay. I am still fightin the fact that this was my in-laws house and I don't feel like it's my home. I decided to get rid of all of their furniture and it has left us with no couch, but everyone loves the extra dining table with chairs around it in the living room. The girls can do schoolwork and watch tv or put on one of the music channels on the satellite. My Hubby loves that we can work on the garden plans or make up lists or even clean his huntin rifle while watchin tv. It's definitely creative and it is so useful. I am also gonna use the trash can storage idea for our blankets and my sewin stuff. My oldest and middle daughters are gettin smaller cans for their rooms for some of their stuff. My Hubby wants four of them in the barn for tarps, extension cords, oil rags, and the charcoal.

I really couldn't have done this without you girls. I would still be spinnin my wheels and not seein how bad I was lettin it get. I still have miles to go, but you all have gotten me on the right path. You all will hold a special place in my heart for settin my life back on track like this. Thank you so much and keep the suggestions and advice comin. I am gonna keep on pluggin away at this mess I've made.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  03:09:34 AM  Show Profile
From Ladies Home Journal, 1958:

Song for a Fifth Child

By Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth
empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
hang out the washing and butter the bread,
sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
and out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
but I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
for children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  06:09:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You could always inspire the kids to help with weeding by giving them small buckets and rewarding them with a treat or a dollar per bucket filled with weeds etc.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  1:55:24 PM  Show Profile
I decided to clean out my freezers today durin Martha's naptime. The cleanup challenge thread said today was fridge cleaning, which I had already done this mornin with martha's help. She loved usin the step stool and handin mommy the bowls of stuff. Then while I was emptyin them and stackin them by the sink she would stuff her mouth with strawberries from the bowl by the milk! LOL! I will bribe the kids with anything for a little help, so much for shortcakes tonight. I found a ton of food buried behind all the half empty cases of stuff. I emptied and stacked the food from the boxes and began inventoryin everything. I don't need to go to the store now! I have enough meat for probably 4-6 weeks worth of meals and enough lunch meat for a whole months worth of picnic sandwiches! I think we're gonna pack a picnic in the morning and spend most of the afternoon at the park. I have the time now that I don't need to drive to the city for groceries. I can pick up milk, cheese, and bread at our little town cheaper than the gas to drive into the city! I have veges comin from the garden so that's covered too!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  2:12:44 PM  Show Profile
I thought I would post an update. I now have a completely organized kitchen and living room. I am almost done with the bedroom. I have finally learned to make bread! I am learning to make all kinds of breads and noodles. I am makin a few of my own sauces and my house can be cleaned in about an hour! I still haven't got it all together cause cannin anything sets me back a whole day, but I'll get it all figured out once I get better at the bakin and cannin thing. I am spendin a lot of time readin to my baby, even though I doubt she really understands 'Root Cellaring' or 'Puttin Food By'. She thinks it's fun cause I use lots of funny voices. I get time with her on my lap and I get to read a book for a while! My gardens are sadly neglected, but my DH and I will be catchin up on that this weekend. I think it's gonna take more than that, but he says he can whip out most of the weeds with the mantis tiller in about 3 hours. We'll see this weekend. I am alot happier right now and alot more relaxed. Thank you all for the help and support. It has really made a difference. I still have a ways to go, but I am headin the right direction and I feel stronger on this journey!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  2:30:01 PM  Show Profile
God bless you Angela, soooo very happy for you...

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  07:14:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh Angela!

I just read through this whole thread! I am so proud of you!!!! It is wonderful to see you getting things in order, and able to relax. It brought tears to my eyes when you spoke of your baby not fitting in your lap. I am so thankful that you are able to spend time with your children now and enjoying them. It made me smile when you said that you read Root Cellaring or Putting Foods By to your baby. Just too precious! Thanks for being an inspiration and I am thrilled for you! Keep up the good work and the ladies here are just wonderful with their love and support :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  1:06:07 PM  Show Profile
You're a heck of alot of inspiration Angela! Just think of all the new things that you can try. I try to learn something new every day! Making bread and homemade noodles make ya feel like you can do anything! I'm very proud of you...you've come a long way in a short amount of time! Keep going!
Debbie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic How Do You Do It? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page