mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  7:26:26 PM  Show Profile
I recently purchased a box of green tea with a mandarin orange flavor in it and I must say, it tastes so much better. Years ago, a herbologist friend of mine told me about some capsules called BF&G. My kids were always scraping their knees and elbows and she told me to clean the wound, dampen it, and put some of this capsule on it. We called it the brown pill. When Jamie was in kindergarten he got a bloody nose and asked the nurse to call me to bring him the brown pill. My oldest son got a big cut while surfing and refused to go to the hospital because he wanted his mom to put the brown pill on it. Within an hour he had a scab. This capsule (I don't have a bottle right now) has tree bark in it and I believe some green tea oil and other oils. Ginger is good to take to prevent car sickness. Vitamin E has made my fibrous cysts in my breasts go away. I take Flaxseed oil for those pesky hot flashes and I use Lysine when I feel a sore coming in my mouth. There's also a tea out there for sore throats which tastes awful (to me) but really works. I really have to get to the health food store and stock up on stuff for winter.Anybody else try anything new lately? Susan
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  7:35:27 PM  Show Profile
THose using EPO for menopause....it can also be used in late pregnancy(after 37 weeks) to help to soften the cervix and naturally induce labor...I don't personally recommend it until after 40 weeks (provided you are 100% sure about your dates) You break open the oil capsule and put the oil in manually....as well all know, well, those who have had babies....you can generally manage to reach your cervix by 37-38 weeks....if not your husband can do it for you.

When not pregnant, I take EPO and drink RRL tea to help maintain uterine strength. I imagine it has the same effect for menopause and helps so you don't have cramping and keeps your uterine muscles toned and healthy through your change.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

SimsMorey
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Mary
Toronto Ontario
Canada
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  09:17:41 AM  Show Profile
In reply to Paula's request for our favorite herbal remedies or teas: I always keep peppermint or fennel tea on hand for *gas/bloating* (especially if you are vegetarian or like spicy food!). Peppermint stimulates the digestive tract (so don't take it if you are suffering from diarrhea, it will make that worse).
I also keep chamomile tea for relaxing, and find it helpful during menstrual cramps.
For colds and flus, I make a tea of lemons, fresh ginger, and a bit of licorice root (to sweeten), or honey. The vitamin C, as everyone knows, is good to help fight the cold virus, and the ginger raises the body temperature which also helps, as I've read that cold viruses can't tolerate even a slight raise in body temperature (which is why our bodies will go into fever to combat a particularly bad virus).
My favorite tea blend is peppermint, lavendar and licorice root. It tastes wonderful! I grow the lavendar and peppermint in my garden.
I also like red clover tea. It has a sweet honey taste. I usually collect the flowers when in bloom and simply air dry them on a cookie sheet in the pantry.

Regarding Paula's migraines, I have an aunt that gets them, and what works for her is to drink a can of Pepsi - she is not a caffeine drinker so the effect of the caffeine in the Pepsi (maybe it is the sugar too?) seems to alleviate them for her. Would be nice if there was a more healthful solution though!

Interesting discussion ladies!
Mary

"Gardening is painting the canvas of the earth."

-Jean-Luc Danneyrolles
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  09:16:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know of any teas to improve joints (knee) that would help with recovering? Also, what about those weight loss teas - do they work? Just wondering because my knee joint is really hurting with the cold weather. Thanks. Oh yes, this might be a dumb question but what is EPO?

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com

Edited by - doglady on Jan 29 2007 09:18:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  09:42:29 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
EPO is Evening Primrose Oil.

I am fast becoming a quick convert to herbal only medicine. I had a nasty cold (i'm guessing that's what it was) that began last Thursday evening. I got out the only natural medicine book I have and he said to take 2 cloves of garlic. I'm thinking, you've got to be kidding..eww! But the next morning I went to the store picked up some garlic and did it. Actually, you can't even taste it. I did follow it with a cup of mint tea as after a few minutes the aroma starts coming back. But the mint tea worked great. I also drank black raspberry tea with honey, took echinacea and used a eucalyptus rub for coughing. Today being Monday I am practically over this. Usually I would be about 2 weeks getting over the cold part and another 2-4 weeks getting over swollen tonsils and bronchitis from it. To which I have neither of those! yea! I am definitely in love with herbs.

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  2:13:51 PM  Show Profile
Black and Green teas have the same antioxidents, they are from the same plant. Red tea has different ones... so it is best to drink plenty of both. My favorite place to buy tea is www.adagio.com ...every thing is fresh and fabulous. They also sell sampler sizes in little tins so you can try a bunch.

E-
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Try This: Previous Topic Herbal Teas Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page