Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2004 :  12:35:53 PM  Show Profile
Hello all,
Just thought I would pass along a new discovery! It is Kalahari Red Tea, made from the South African Rooibos plant. It has very high antioxidant qualities, and I prefer it to green tea because it is not bitter. You can check out all of its properties, the different flavors and where you can purchase it in your area at their web site: http://www.kalahariusa.com

I've tried the lemon and honey flavors and really like both. I have the camomile but haven't tried it yet. A friend who recently had a cancer scare had it recommended to her. Check it out! I'll look forward to hearing from others, too, about any herbal remedies of any type that you have tried and like. I think word of mouth education is great, and especially in lieu of not having elder mentors available.

Clare

Gardener, Stitcher, Appreciator of all things Natural, & Spiritual Explorer

Paula J.
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Paula
OK
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2004 :  6:31:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Paula J. an AOL message  Click to see Paula J.'s MSN Messenger address
Ooh, herbal remedies, one of my favorite subjects!

I would love to hear the one herbal you can't do without AND everyone's favorite source for herbal products/supplies.

I always try to keep slippery elm powder on hand, since it works well with diarrhea and g.i. upset. Best source of almost everything: blessedherbs.com

pj

Paula J.
Collinsville, OK
dragonflybodywork@earthlink.net
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2004 :  1:12:00 PM  Show Profile
Tea, tea and more tea. I love tea and so does my husband, but sometimes it
gets out-of-hand (trying different types). I finally took a BIG box of mixed
tea to our church for coffee hour, and they were gone in 1 hour!

As far as herbal remedies - I swear by elderberry. I usually use the capsules
beginning in Fall (1 a day) and drink elderberry tea from concentrates if I
can find them at a health food store (must be without additives or sugar). Just
put a tablespoon of concentrate in hot water and drink. When I take it religiously
through the winter, I never have gotten a cold, sore throat or flu.

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2004 :  11:24:40 PM  Show Profile
I grow alot of my own culinary herbs, and some medicinal too.
I love the Lavender tea from The Lavender fleece (www.lavenderfleece.com) it is so relaxing!! I couldn't live without lavender!! I have insomnia, and have a hard time relaxing, so I rely on it alot in many forms!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Kathy A.
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Kathy
Utah
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2004 :  08:30:13 AM  Show Profile
Hello Clare Thank you! for the Rooibos tea suggestion, I picked some up yesterday and I'm enjoying a cup right now. After *delicious* it's hard to describe. What comes to mind is a combination of something fruity and the way new mown hay smells. It's really nice! and lots of health benifits.

Paula mentioned favorite herbals. I would list mine as-- I can't live without- Organic Lavendar essential oil and organic peppermint essential oil. I use them for practically everything.
Thanks again, this forum has been so fun and useful and we just started!
Kathy

Farmgirl/gardener-Potter/Poet
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2004 :  09:24:37 AM  Show Profile
Kathy, we are kindred spirits! I too have lavender and peppermint essentials oils at my ready disposal constantly. Right now I have a diffuser going with peppermint...so refreshing, and it helps the sinuses too! And is anything more relaxing than lavender anything???? I think not! I do grow a few lavender plants in my garden and appreciate their aromatic scents just walking by. I also clip the blooms and bring them in to freshen my rooms.

Glad you are enjoying the tea! Clare

Go to Top of Page

Paula J.
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Paula
OK
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2004 :  4:14:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Paula J. an AOL message  Click to see Paula J.'s MSN Messenger address
Lavender, peppermint and eucalyptus make a great breathing aid for clogged sinuses. I also mix it in my massage oil to use on clients' upper chests and backs. I absolutely love the smell!

Does anyone have any experience with herbs and/or essential oils for treating headaches? I used to have migraines 3-4 times a WEEK. Since changing careers (business writing/public relations to massage therapy/bodywork) and trying to take better care of myself, they've gotten much, much better (maybe 1-2 times a month and not too severe).

But, the stress of our move, my parents' illnesses, driving the kids to their old school, finances from moving and trying to build my business, etc., finally took its toll yesterday. It was a typical day for right now -- drove the kids 25 miles to school, ran to the bank, back to school where I helped with the fifth grade field trip yesterday, raced home to let the dog play for a bit, back to school to pick up the kids and take my 11 yo son to tennis. Home from there, then back down in an hour for his Boy Scout troop meeting. We finally got home about 9:15 p.m. We grabbed a quick dinner and collapsed into bed (with my 8 yo daughter and the dog). Woke up about 5 a.m. feeling like the back of my head would explode. It only got worse, bad enough I couldn't even take the kids to school (bad Mom!). Thank God my husband gets home from a business trip tonight!

Other than hibernating until my life gets calm (gee, that should take 20 years or so), any thoughts on natural headache remedies? This one was bad enough to cause severe nausea, seeing stars, chills, cold sweat, you name it. Glad it now feels like it's almost over!

pj

[quote]Originally posted by Clare

Kathy, we are kindred spirits! I too have lavender and peppermint essentials oils at my ready disposal constantly. Right now I have a diffuser going with peppermint...so refreshing, and it helps the sinuses too! And is anything more relaxing than lavender anything????

Paula J.
Collinsville, OK
dragonflybodywork@earthlink.net
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2004 :  6:03:53 PM  Show Profile
Hello Paula,
I can empathize with you! I'm certainly no expert on headaches or migranes, but my daughter gets something similar. I think there is a connection between stress, obviously, but also with what and when you are eating. I think blood sugar levels make a big difference, and if you aren't eating regularly, then it tends to trigger it. Do you keep a journal or log to kind of track when it occurs? That might be helpful. I have noticed when I start to get a headache, (and my daughter uses this as her "medicine"), if I drink a Starbucks bottled frappacino (Yes, I know, loaded with calories and sugar)... it will stave it off at the pass... I think there is a sugar/coffee correlation there. And as healthful as we try to be, sometimes using a method such as this in an emergency will keep us functional to continue on. And then there are also other complimentary treatments that may help-accupunture or chiropractic-and I bet you're overdue for a trade-out massage with one of your collegues. Treat yourself!

I envy you your choice of career changes, Paula. I've been contemplating massage school for several years now, but to swing it as a single person and continue to work is quite the brain tickler for me. There is a massage school that opened up in my town last year, so that makes it a more logistical option for me. Now I just have to recover physically and financially from a ruptured appendix in February, and I can tackle big changes like that!

Sending you lots of good energy to recuperate, Paula.
Take care, Clare

Edited by - Clare on Apr 21 2004 06:51:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kathy A.
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Kathy
Utah
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2004 :  08:12:27 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Clare, I was pleased to read your post about the essential oils, I agree nothing is more relaxing than Lavendar. I smiled to read your post about the starbucks frappacino headache fix, Mine is Pepsi (gasp) it- is - the sugar caffeine connection. sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Paula, my husband gets migraines, He uses feverfew tea with some relief and sometimes rubbing Peppermint oil and or lavendar oil on the temples helps also frankincense oil lightly massaged on the back of the neck. His are stress related. I hope your busy life gets back in balance soon. I too will send some good thoughts to you -out there on the Oklahoma Prairie.

Farmgirl/gardener-Potter/Poet
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - May 24 2004 :  7:35:24 PM  Show Profile
Another fine forum for discussion! Ooh, this is fun since I have no one around here to talk with these interests. I also grow my own lavender, and haven't used it much in cooking - I usually just dry it and have it around the house. I'll have to try the lavender tea, but I don't like any teas which have peppermint in them. I also am big on roses, although I have few rose bushes after some work was done around the house. I do use wild roses when I can find them - the rose hips are good for tea, potpourri and just for eating - they have lots of vit.C in them. I also make shortbread cookies (any recipe will do) but I add 1 tsp. of rosewater, and 1/4 tsp. of almond extract for flavor. Eat them with rose milk - just add about 1/2 tsp of rosewater and 1/8 tsp. almond extract to milk.

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 24 2004 :  9:14:56 PM  Show Profile
Cecelia...add some ground up lavender buds to those shortbread cookies..it is wonderful..my sons call them girl cookies..but I guesss thats okay. I love to grow and use lavender too.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

karmeh
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Karen
Vancouver WA
5 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2004 :  08:35:27 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Clare

Hello all,
Just thought I would pass along a new discovery! It is Kalahari Red Tea, made from the South African Rooibos plant. It has very high antioxidant qualities, and I prefer it to green tea because it is not bitter. You can check out all of its properties, the different flavors and where you can purchase it in your area at their web site: http://www.kalahariusa.com

I've tried the lemon and honey flavors and really like both. I have the camomile but haven't tried it yet. A friend who recently had a cancer scare had it recommended to her. Check it out! I'll look forward to hearing from others, too, about any herbal remedies of any type that you have tried and like. I think word of mouth education is great, and especially in lieu of not having elder mentors available.

Clare

You have to choose life, choose joy.
Go to Top of Page

karmeh
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Karen
Vancouver WA
5 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2004 :  08:37:42 AM  Show Profile
While I realize this is late in coming (just discovered this way to communicate with other farmgirls) I too have tried the tea from Africa. I got mine from the Republic of Tea website. They have wonderful teas and the site is worth a look for anyone who likes to experiment with all kinds of teas. Happy drinking!

You have to choose life, choose joy.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2004 :  12:02:15 PM  Show Profile

Good morning to all of you,
I have been reading all your posts this past three weeks but have been unable to sit at the computer long enough to respond to much of anything. I just had to chime in here and tell you all that I discovered the value of Roibos tea about three years ago. For some reason I thought everybody had heard of it way before me so have not mentioned it. I love it and use it daily. The brand I use most often is available at our local co-op and is made by "Wisdom of the Ancients" It is called Red Wisdom.It is 100% organic roibos. No flavorings or coloring added. I like it with a little honey. It is a lovely shade of red all by itself and has a delicate delicious flavor.. I can make it in large quantities in the summer and it keeps up to two weeks in the fridge. I love it over ice and sometimes mix it with lavender tea I make by steeping some of the dried lavender from my garden in hot water for 5 minutes. It is especially nice after a big meal to help with digestion.
Hope you all had a wonderful holiday. I am recovering remarkably well and far ahead of schedule!! WooHoo!!!
I will soon be dancing!
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2004 :  3:34:05 PM  Show Profile
I have also tried the red teas (many brands/varieties) and I do like it. I found another herbal tea called Dragon green tea. It is a very mild tea, not bitter like some green teas. The difference is that with this tea, you make it by putting a teaspoon in hot water, no bag, no filter. You are supposed to drink the leaves with the tea, thereby getting the full benefit of all the antioxidants and other substances in the tea. It is good - not cheap by any means - but I thought I'd try it and see if it helps digestion, stress, etc.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Juli Thorson
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Juli
Troy ID
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2004 :  10:22:50 AM  Show Profile
My can't-do-without herbal is evening primrose oil. I'm at that menopausal age, and EPO provides amazing relief from hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, etc. If I miss taking it for a day or two, I really notice the (negative) difference!

Juli Thorson
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2004 :  08:01:25 AM  Show Profile
Juli, I too am at "the age" and need to find some natural relief from some of the symptoms...How do you take the EPO? Do you ingest in teas?I am trying to avoid HRT and go all herbal and vitamin. My health care provider is very open to herbal and has recommended vitamin E. I really enjoy Green Teas and Chammomile for digestion. Thanks! Jenny

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2005 :  4:37:58 PM  Show Profile
Paula I didn't continue reading through everyones post but I had to tell you about how we treat my husbands migraines. First we started keeping a food journal to rule out any kind of food allergies. We decided it was definitely stress. Migraines always show themselves before they strike so now we look for the signs. Everyone has different symptoms. My husband has a specific kind headache before it starts and it usually comes on with a stomach ache and a neck ache. And thats where we start. We calm him down as much as possible using lavender oil and a really deep neck message especially using the pressure points right at the base of the head. Then sometimes a long shower. Almost always a big mug of caffinated coffee. Caffine will dilate the blood vessles in the head that are causing the head to ache. Now we do not regularly drink anything with caffine so I'm not sure how well this works for an avid coffee drinker. But I'm definitely not the only person to use this method. Now there is an herb that is for migraines it's called Feverfew, we tryed the tea(which tastes really bad) but it wasn't strong enough, but they make tinctures of it and I bet thats the way to take, coffee works for us so we're sticking with it.Hope this helps ya.

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  07:17:29 AM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
OK I am hooked, my lavender is not yet budding, can I use they laeves for tea, do I just steep them in the hot water and drink? How do I make tea from EOs?
My very good friend suffers from Migranes, so I sent her a link to this page, maybe not the best Idea, if she gets hooked here, we may never see each other again!

-Tami
livin' right and loven' life!
Go to Top of Page

GardenWitch
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Michelle
Gaston OR
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  5:19:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi all, I'm new here but had to jump in because I was just reading about Feverfew and migraines earlier this summer when my Feverfew was five feet high and covered in blossoms. What I read was that it's very important to take Feverfew tincture BEFORE the migraine is full blown. I'm not extremely knowledgeable about migraines but what I understood is that this is because Feverfew blasts your blood vessels open; if you wait unil your migraine is already completely set in this will just lead to horrible pounding pain. Take it when you first experience the warning signs and it's supposed to be a great preventative. Also I've read several herbalists suggest using it as a sort of tonic herb to prevent migraines; regular use of tea, or eating a few leaves a day, etc. I've also known people who take feverfew/lavender tincture to treat migraines with pretty good success, but once again you have to catch it before it's full blown.

Bright blessings,
Michelle
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  5:54:21 PM  Show Profile
I recently discovered -more or less out of desperation- that a tea made from equal parts of catnip, lemon balm and feverfew (all leaves, steeped for 15minutes) helped me with MYmigraines. It didn't make them go away, but it relieved the pounding/tension and -most of all- it made me go to sleep almost immediately! Probably an effect of the relaxing qualities of the catnip. I don't know if that result will persist when or if I use it more often. It's worth a try, I think.

From this hour on I ordain myself loss'd of limits and immaginary lines. Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

Rainbow
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

brenda
Schomberg Ontario
Canada
15 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  5:03:16 PM  Show Profile
wow you ladies are really into this I love tea and and drink many herbal varieties but I have never heard or red tea. i'll have to get some and try it. thanks for the heads up
Brenda
Go to Top of Page

LisaBee
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Lisa
Sparta TN
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  6:45:58 PM  Show Profile  Send LisaBee a Yahoo! Message
I mentioned this tea in another post, but for those of you who need something to help with headaches, Celestial Seasonings makes a blend called "Tension Tamer". In it is eleuthro, ginger, chamomile, lemon grass, catnip, Vitamins B6 and B12, peppermint, and cinnamon. It is wonderful, and so are the Holiday Blends they have come out with (Candy Cane Lane, Gingerbread Spice, Nutcracker Sweet and Sugar Plum Spice).

"There is no teacup too large, nor book too long."
http://lisa222.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  7:37:29 PM  Show Profile
Lisa,
My husband and I are happy converts to your tension tamer tea! We really love it. Didn't know it was good for headaches - will have to specifically use it for that next month...
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  08:03:13 AM  Show Profile
I am recovering remarkably well
and far ahead of schedule!! WooHoo!!!
I will soon be dancing! Eileen

good morning eileen ... frannie here .. fairly new to the forum .. and haven't run across any posts about your 'owies' .. so .. i'm not sure what you are recovering from .. but whatever it is .. i'm surely happy for you .. and when you get those dancing shoes out .. give me a call .. and i'll join you in some rompin' and stompin'. xo, frannie
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2005 :  06:14:26 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Clare
Just thought I would pass along a new discovery! It is Kalahari Red Tea, made from the South African Rooibos plant.

Thanks for the recommendation! I got some yesterday and tried it. It's very good! I got the plain kind as I'm not generally big on flavored or blends. I like it better than green tea.

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Try This: Previous Topic Herbal Teas Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page