elah
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Emily
SW Michigan
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  08:24:46 AM  Show Profile
What do you use to freshen your carpet? We moved into our new house three weeks ago and I have been cleaning and vacuuming but the musty/old lady smell is not coming out of the carpet. The house sat vacant for over a year.
Thanks!

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  09:31:05 AM  Show Profile
I sprinkle baking soda and leave it for a couple hours while I go run errands or whatever and then vacum it up when I get home. It helps alot with smells. I bet overnight would help even more. Our house had alot of old people smell when we moved in too...very closed up for alot of years and needed airing out and stuff more than anything. Taking out the old heavy drapes helped alot too.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  11:03:43 AM  Show Profile
Elah, when was the house last painted? After a bout 3 months I found out that a lot of our musty smell was coming from the walls. After we painted, musty smell was gone...just a thought.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

Visit me anytime at my blog:
www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  4:24:19 PM  Show Profile
Have you shampooed your carpets? I would definitely shampoo them if you havent. That would probably get rid of the smell best. If you dont or cant do that right now then I would try to do what Aunt Jenny said.

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

elah
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Emily
SW Michigan
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  05:05:51 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the ideas! I spread out the baking soda last night so we will see if the over night trick works. I was wondering about the drapes also. However I cannot afford to get rid of them until we can get some new window coverings. We have one window that is 18 ft long and another that is 15 ft! I might see if I can at least get them down and air them outside in the coming weeks. And the inside of the house has not been painted since it was built so the plan is to paint all the rooms and ceilings this summer. I'm sure once we do all that it will take care of the smell. I would love to have the carpets shampooed but I don't think that I can justify it right now since we have several large expenses this month and next. Mainly, getting the well working right or hooking up to the city water which I really don't want to do.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  1:52:52 PM  Show Profile
baking soda usually or Borax.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  09:52:30 AM  Show Profile
It may not even be the carpets - it may be a disintegrating pad underneath the carpets. Sorry... ~ K

~ Kaylyn
(Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Current Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  2:07:43 PM  Show Profile
Linen spray works great to cover it until you can replace it.

E-
Go to Top of Page
  Try This: Previous Topic carpet freshing Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page