Farmhousegirl
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Lisa
Oak Hills CA
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  12:21:02 AM  Show Profile
I just bought a presure canner and though I have been water bath canning for years I'm sooooo intimidated by the presure canner... I'm woried I will spoil the food because I won't know what to look for while it's processing (the right jiggleing interval or the sound it should make). And frankly, I'm afraid the whole thing wil explode. Should I be this worried or is it easier than I'm imagining?

Lisa
Farmgirl Sister #1747
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  06:27:21 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, as long as you follow the directions and process the food for the correct time you will be fine. Just jump in and have fun.

Yesterday I canned 7 quarts of cherries and 5 pints of cherry juice. Wish I could find someone with an abundance of cherries, I would love to have more juice!

For Jackie Clays book, I'm pretty sure it can be ordered from www.backwoodshome.com. I have been debating buying it, but I am rather cautious about canning recipes that havent been tested.

Lillian

Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  08:33:04 AM  Show Profile
taught a freezer jam class on Saturday, we had 9 people and made three baches of jam each, it was jamapalooza! They did minted white peach and black raspberry, blueberry (with their choice of plain, or adding sage or lemon balm), and concord grape (most people added ginger to it, DIVINE!).
Go to Top of Page

Jackie Ferri
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Jacqueline
Trumbull CT
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  7:14:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Shirley! After my kids' graduation party this weekend, I'll pick more blueberries and try that pie filling recipe. Sounds yummy!

Jackie Farmgirl sister #1664

Resourceful Creative Organized Mom
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  04:47:14 AM  Show Profile
I tried my hand at canned beans yesterday. I first did pintos and they worked out great. Then I made some pork and beans, my husband loves them. The only problem is one of the jars didn't seal and alot of the juice came out in the canner. I am just going to add some water to it and just water bath can it when I finish up the last of my blackberry jelly today.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  7:47:03 PM  Show Profile
I canned apricot jam last week (been remiss in posting) and have a small sugar burn that left a scar as a souvenir. Small price to pay! Apricot is my absolute favorite and I was lucky to get some from the farm up the road. Also I used the Chillover powder instead of pectin and it set beautifully.
This morning I went and picked just over a gallon of blueberries at one of the u-picks here in town. Will use some to make blueberry syrup and butter this weekend, freeze a bunch, then that is it for the sweet spreads. Am waiting for tomatoes now!
Also signed up for a refresher canner course run by the county extension next month - thought it would be a fun evening. I found about it when I had my pressure canner tested there last week (free!).

Farmgirl Sister #204

Edited by - JenniferJuniper on Jul 23 2010 7:50:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

vintage saver
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

oleta
wheelersburg ohio
USA
323 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2010 :  12:51:18 AM  Show Profile
I made corn relish, bread and butter pickles, kraut, and hot tomato kraut this week and today I will do peaches and one bunch of peach jam. Tomorrow I will start on dill pickles or on Monday.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  8:41:31 PM  Show Profile
As I may have mentioned prior to this posting, my garden is a disaster this year. No rain and when I watered, the plants just burned up anyway from the heat and sun. I am getting a few tomatoes so I have made salsa, bruschetta, Italian zucchini, and zucchini with cherry tomatoes and different seasonings. I had to buy my zucchini - never have before. The only other thing surviving is my swiss chard. I will be hitting the farmers' market for other items.
Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  9:51:46 PM  Show Profile
Shirley, that is so sad. I hope next year will be better.
Last year we only got one apple, this year the tree is covered
with them.
DEbbie
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  2:51:39 PM  Show Profile
Since I'm a really new at canning, I have a question. I want to make dill pickles & bought some regular sized pickles (not the cute small ones that I probably should have) from the Farmer's Market last week. I was reading that I should have *fresh* (within 24 hrs of being picked) to can them. Is this true? Also was reading that If I use full sized cucumbers, that they'll turn mushy once they're canned. Is this true? Any advice you can give me re: making pickles? My son loves pickles & wanted to make him some, but my only experience with "canning" was when my mom just showed me how to make freezer jam. Thanks for any help!

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  3:17:27 PM  Show Profile
Jewel- sadly most of your concerns are true. The large slicing cukes make mushy pickles and the fresher the better. Also if you have hard water and use it in your pickling that too will cause mushy pickles. Last year was the first time my pickles turned out, I have hard water and could not figure out the problem for the life of me! You may be able to soak the large cukes in lime and have it work out, but I honestly don't know the answer to that one. Maybe somebody with more pickle experience will come along to help. I would like to reccomend you go out and buy the ball canning book, there is so much information in there it will help you on your way.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  5:26:24 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Lillian. That's what I did buy that told me all that, but I was hoping somehow it would still be okay (blush). We have hard water, too. Is there something else to do when you have hard water? Eek, this is more complicated than I thought.

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  1:11:14 PM  Show Profile
Jewel- We put a Pur water puruifier on our water tap and only use it for canning. It helped with my water problems.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  1:16:02 PM  Show Profile
I just got done with my first batch of corn relish and salsa. This is my first attempt at canning, so I am kind of scared and excited at the same time!

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

katrina
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Katrina
The Dalles Oregon
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  06:59:35 AM  Show Profile
Last night I packed some blueberries in pomegranate nectar. I cannot wait for winter so I can eat those babies! Also did out first batch of pressure canning, which was way less exciting that I thought it would be. : ) We did one quart of green beans, figured we'd start small. We've actually done pretty good for ourselves this year. And we're using what we've canned to pay my in-laws for the labor of raising our pig.

www.WorkOfArtCreations.com
Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  6:29:02 PM  Show Profile
Katrina, your blueberries sound good and healthy!
Today I made apple cinnamon anise jelly, with some
apple juice I made year before last and had in the freezer.
I know I'm a little behind using that up! It smelled
really good while it was cooking. This recipe is in my new
Blue Book guide to preserving.
Debbie

Edited by - debbies journey on Aug 05 2010 10:40:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  7:41:13 PM  Show Profile
The canner tomatoes came in at the local farm & I got about 40 pounds this morning. Am planning on canning a big batch of seasoned diced tomatoes using Italian & Mexican seasoning mixes.

I have hard water (we are on a well) too & use a Brita filter for drinking and cooking/canning. I do not filter the boiling water itself but add a splash of white vinegar, it keeps a film from forming on the jars.

Farmgirl Sister #204
Go to Top of Page

anna13mary
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Anna
Salem IN
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  08:58:08 AM  Show Profile
I'm really knew to this (both posting and canning). I've wanted to learn for years how to can and finally desided to dive in. Luckily I have my Mom and Grandma both helping to keep me on the right track. So far I've done bread and butter pickles, dill pickles, beet pickles, plain beets, and plan to do lime pickles this weekend. The other night my aunt gave me about 40 quart jars that have been stored for years and are really filthy. My question is, does anyone have any tips for getting years of cellar grime off and out of canning jars, or does just plain old dish soap and scrubbing work the best? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  4:18:57 PM  Show Profile
I did some research on canning on a ceramic burner stove top and found that it is not recommended for non-flat bottomed canners or for canners that project more than an inch from the burner. Even though I have been canning this summer it looked like I was out on both counts. No wonder it took a very long time for the canner to reach boiling point! Someone suggested using the base from an outdoors turkey fryer. That is what I did today and it made the whole process much speedier! Plus the house did not heat up from heating water all afternoon. I canned 14 pints of strawberry jam and 3 quarts of blueberries. I need to get a new gasket for my pressure canner before I start tomatoes, salsa, pasta sauce and green beans.

Anna- I have always had success cleaning old and grimy cans in the dishwasher. If I didn't have a dishwasher I would soak them in hot, sudsy water and then scrub them with a soft baby bottle brush. If the cans need scrubbing be careful to not scratch the interior while cleaning. Wow- great job on the pickles. I have never canned them because my family is not big pickle eaters, although yesterday my husband asked if I was planning on making pickles this summer. Maybe I will give them a try.

Shirley- I am so sorry about your garden. I would be so sad if my investment of time and labor and dreams blew away in a drought.
Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  10:08:24 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jennifer on the tip of putting a splash of vinegar in the water bath,
I"ve been concidering wiping the jars with vinegar to remove that residue, but your idea is easier!
Thanks Debbie
Go to Top of Page

kathyinozarks
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Kathy
Lebanon Missouri
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  09:39:13 AM  Show Profile
I do not filter the boiling water itself but add a splash of white vinegar, it keeps a film from forming on the jars.

Jennifer, thank you too sooo much for this tip. we have very hard water from the well, and even though I always washed my canned jars real well the next day, now I don't have to scrub all that white lime stuff off-I put a splash in my canner this morning-worked great! thanks much

Farmgirl Sister 1849
A retired country girl,living in our woods in the ozarks
http://kathyinozarks.multiply.com/
http://kathyinozarks.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  12:19:14 PM  Show Profile
Today's canning- 6 quarts of turkey and gravy! I put the frozen turkey in the pressure canner last night, cooked if for about 2 1/2 hours or so. Then, this morning, while the washing machine repair guys were here... made up a batch a turkey gravy, deboned the turkey, filled up the jars..... they will be done in about 15 minutes!!!

Before I went to camp last week, I put up about 50# of venison. Made sloppy joe mix, taco meat, spaghetti/meatball sauces and plain seasoned meat. We opened back up one jar of meatballs in sauce and had meatball sub sandwiches for dinner.... yummmmm.

I am about 3 batches away from having my goal of 30 jars of ready made dinners on the shelf! Next will BBQ beef sandwich filling, swedish meatballs and some Tortilla soup.

I think I am addicted to my canning this year!! =)

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

anna13mary
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Anna
Salem IN
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  09:50:17 AM  Show Profile
Lida: Thanks for the tip, it worked great! My family have always been big on pickles. In fact my mom and I are making lime pickles this weekend. In fact my Aunt has requested a jar for part of her Christmas this year. We are going to be using my Great-Aunt Helen's recipe, which is really cool to me, because she passed away long before I was born so I only have pictures and a couple of recipes of her, so buy learning to make her recipes, it gives me a chance to touch base with that family history. So, I'm excited.
Never knew canning could be addictive, but now that I've started I really don't want to stop. Also, since I posted last, I've made blueberry jam, white grape jam, and mint jelly. The mint jelly has been a big hit and my aunt is trying to convince me to make more for us to use as Christmas gifts also, which is fine with me and she'd be supplying the mint since my plant that I planted in the spring isn't really big enough.

**Anna~Mary**

Daddy never liked me playing in mud, but Mommy always just laughed and said "It won't hurt anything. She'll wash." Thanks Mom... Still playing in the dirt @ 27 and still loving it!
Go to Top of Page

anna13mary
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Anna
Salem IN
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  09:53:34 AM  Show Profile
Angie: Where did you get your ready made dinner recipes? I'd love to try some of them...

**Anna~Mary**

Daddy never liked me playing in mud, but Mommy always just laughed and said "It won't hurt anything. She'll wash." Thanks Mom... Still playing in the dirt @ 27 and still loving it!
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  10:12:19 AM  Show Profile
I decided on ready made dinners that I know we eat alot of anyway. I just used my regular *throw-it-in* recipes in my head. I looked around on the internet for ideas. One great place is the "ask jackie" on the Backwoods home website. She's a canning guru and has tons of great suggestions. I did buy some clear-jel to use in the gravies and sauces. From all I have read, flour and regular cornstarch apparently don't hold up well when pressure canned.

One of the turkey-gravy jars didn't seal. I had some for dinner over toast. It was pretty good. The gravy was ok taste wise(admittedly not always my forte as I usually don't salt it enough). The consistency of the gravy was great and it was my first time using the clear jel. I did find out there are two types of clear jel- one for pies and such and the other for pressure canning gravies and sauces. It was kind of spendy,I ordered it online from Barry Farms, which was the best deal I could find at the time.

Anyway.... choose dinners that you like. Almost anything can be pressure canned. If you aren't sure, do like I did and make a smaller test batch. THen if you like it, make bigger batches! THey do say not to can pasta as it just falls apart. So my chicken noodle soup is the chicken soup in the jar and I add noodles at the stove when warming it back up.

For the things I have made, I just double or triple the batch and can that. Sorry that I don't have actual recipes. I rarely use them. =)

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning for the season Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page