fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  08:09:20 AM  Show Profile
I'm so sad. The book is checked out until July 22nd. I should not have picked my rhubarb today.

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  08:22:41 AM  Show Profile

Thank you to all for that information, I guess I will have to get both.
Essex aggie school is rightup street from me I am going to call and see if they have a program at night for starting canning. My sister in law sent me a ball canning book I am going to dig it out. She does a lot of canning in canada on her blueberry farm.
Go to Top of Page

kathyinozarks
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Kathy
Lebanon Missouri
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  08:30:50 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, farmgirls, early the morning of the 4th I canned up a batch of pickled bing cherries. I found the recipe last year and had been anxious to make this. Here is the recipe with a photo of my cherries out of the canner http://kathyinozarks.multiply.com/recipes/item/129/canning-Pickled_Cherries I didn't have any coriander seed so I used the zest of organic lemons instead. Recipe says to wait at least 2 weeks before trying. anxious to see what they taste like. Really smelled good with balsamic vinegar and lemon zest.

A retired country girl,living in our woods in the ozarks http://kathyinozarks.multiply.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  10:56:20 AM  Show Profile
Pamela - rhubarb keeps really well in the fridge, or you could chop and freeze it for a bit. If you e-mail me your address I will mail you the recipe for bbq sauce. I would post it here but there are lots of steps and would take up too much room.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  12:44:25 PM  Show Profile
I am so disappointed - the heat is killing my garden and I will be fortunate to get enough to can much more this year. We have had no rain and to water the garden, I have to stay up all night to move the hose around - too hot and scorching sun during the day. The tomatoes are just starting to come in - so I may be okay with those, but the zucchini and peppers are pretty much done for. My Asian beans are doing okey, but I have yet to see hide nor hair of the snap beans. The broccoli and cabbage bolted before it formed heads, so nothing there. Even some of my herbs are bolting. I am so thankful for what I did get done last month.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  06:03:57 AM  Show Profile
All you canning farmgirls should sign up for my jam/jelly swap in the farmgirl swap forum!!!!!

Age only matters if you are wine or cheese.
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  08:33:31 AM  Show Profile
I finished up 100 pints of canned corn this week. My finger is still numb from slicing the corn off the cob. Our garden doesn't look hopeful for much to can so I will have to rely on other ways to get things to put up. My goal is to have enough put away that I don't have to buy canned anything from the store. Besides, I know what goes into my jars!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  1:58:41 PM  Show Profile
disaster has struck HELP! Yesterday we had to call in a backhoe to fix a septic line for one of our tenants. Well my Rhubarb plant was in the way. I asked them to save the plant. What I found was a small hunk of rhubarb laying by my raspberry bushes. Can I save this? there are no roots nothing. Just this poor piece of rhubarb. I can't tell you how upset I am. I'm just glad I picked the day before

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  2:02:09 PM  Show Profile
Kathy I went out and picked some of my cherries. Does the recipe really say to leave the stems on the cherries?

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  2:13:22 PM  Show Profile
Angie,
Have you ever canned mincemeat? My grandmother used to make it lo these many years ago and she kept all her "vittles" in a root cellar, so you know how long ago that was. Her mincemeat had real pork in it, hence the name. Mincemeat is so different now and her's was so delicious. If anyone has a recipe, I would certainly like to try it.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Jackie Ferri
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Jacqueline
Trumbull CT
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  7:38:34 PM  Show Profile
This past week I canned the cherry pie filling, the little that was left in the pot and it tasted sooo good! Thanks to that sister who provided the recipe. Do you have a blueberry pie filling recipe to can too? I also made cherry jam, and dehydrated the leftover cherries. Went blueberry picking. and canned 2 batches of blueberry jam, made blueberry pancakes and muffins. So good. Can't wait to pick peaches and can those. I'd like to pick raspberries and can those as well.
Next week I'll be taking a canning class thru the extension cooperation so I'll learn about pressure canning. Haven't tackled that baby yet!

Jackie

Farmgirl #1664

Resourceful Creative Organized Mom
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  6:43:52 PM  Show Profile
Got a half day off unexpectedly yesterday (very slow at work) so canned 9 half pints of tomatillo salsa. Also got out the pasta machine and made fresh linguine to dry Apricots just came in so will pick tomorrow morning and make chutney, since apricot season seems to last about 5 days.

Farmgirl Sister #204

Edited by - JenniferJuniper on Jul 12 2010 6:44:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  7:12:23 PM  Show Profile
My mom just visited & taught me how to can strawberry jam (I'm 47 & this is my first time ever canning!!). Now I have something my mom passed down to me :-) Yay! BTW, it's delish

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  2:00:15 PM  Show Profile
I have just started canning and the way I had to learn was from watching youtube. I do not have anyone close by to teach me so I did the next best thing and watched the videos and did research in the cooking books and even purchased Small Batch Preserving by Firefly publishing. Today I made 14 half pts and 7 pints of muscadine grape jelly and boy am I proud. Woo hoo this city girl is doing it.
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  2:16:39 PM  Show Profile
I've never made mincemeat. =)

It is really satisfying to see the jars lined up on the shelf. Even better to go to our own "store" and grab something for dinner. =)

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  2:38:45 PM  Show Profile
I have made mincemeat a few years ago..but it was the green tomato type...very good. I have the recipe if you are interested..not hard at all..but not the meat type you wanted. My aunt made that type too...

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  06:54:42 AM  Show Profile
Yea Mamma Jewel,

Isn't that fun. I have things my mother taught me that I have taught my children. How special for you and the bonus is you get to enjoy eating the lesson!

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  07:10:20 AM  Show Profile
Pamela - just e-mailed you, sorry I'm a slow-poke.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  09:07:47 AM  Show Profile
I finally got to can 5 quarts of tomato sauce! It took all day but it is good. I didn't get to can any last year because my darn chickens were too fast for me. Every ripe tomato had benn half eaten. So this year I am watching them. They get rocks thrown at them at yelled at. I'm good so far! Plus the weeds are hiding most of them. Good thing about weeds.

And I have been putting the early apples in the freezer. ANd lots of blueberries. 6 gallons so far. I would have liked to have gotten at least 12 gallons but I'm afraid the season is winding down here. Hope to get some grapes next. And figs.

Ya'll have been really busy. That's a good thing.

kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  09:31:47 AM  Show Profile
Amy Grace, would you be willing to share your Rhubarb BBQ Sauce recipe with me? I love Rhubarb anything :)

This weekend I will be making Pineapple Rhubarb Jam. Next week will be Blueberry Jam, Raspberry Syrup, and Red Onion Jam :)

Aunt Jenny, I would love your Mincemeat recipe, it sounds delicious!

I get e-mails from Ball Fresh Preserving and this recipe for Cherry Chutney was in the latest one. Sounds really good!

Here's the link:

http://editor.ne16.com/alltrista/cherrychutney.html

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  3:05:42 PM  Show Profile
I've made strawberry preserves, apricot preserves, spiced peach preserves and two batches of peach preserves. My kitchen floor was so sticky that it pulled my flipflop off - LOL
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  3:09:27 PM  Show Profile
I think it would be interesting to hear how everyone learned to can. Although my mom canned everything, she never taught me. Six years ago I took classes at Kansas State Extension to learn. I thought there would be very few in the classes (one for water bath canning, one for pressure cooker canning.) Boy was I surprised to find the classes full and with waiting lists. So many people wanting to learn.
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  3:22:30 PM  Show Profile
I have just started canning and freezing for this year. We didn't get any strawberries to can or freeze this year. I also got a late start on my garden and then it went to no rain for so long that I really only planted about 1/2 of what I wanted to. I will have to buy part of my produce to fill in the gap. I know it is not as cost effective but at least I know what I have put in it. Anyway so far we have frozen about 5 quarts of blackberries and today I canned both blackberry and plum jelly. I am headed out on vacation this week but hope to get at it hot and heavy when I return.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  6:02:48 PM  Show Profile
I made 14 pints of salsa today. I learned how to can from looking up on youtube. Like alot of us Mother canned everything, but did not teach me. Yea youtube you are good for something good besides the ugly stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  10:56:15 PM  Show Profile
Jackie - this is the recipe I used for my Blueberry Pie Filling. The recipe says 4 pints, but I got 5 pints.
7 C blueberries, 1-2/3 granulated sugar, 2/3 c ClearJel or Therm-Flo or cornstarch, 1 tsp grated lemon zest (optional), 2 Tbsp lemon juice. Another option is 12 drops blue and 4 drops red food coloring. Fill a lg stainless steel saucepan halfway with water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Add blueberries and blanch for 1 min. Drain well and return to pot. Cover to keep warm. In a lg stainless steel saucepan combine sugar and thickener. Whisk in 2 C water. Add food coloring if using it. Bring to a boil over med-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and boild gently, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Stir in lemon zest, if using, and lemon juice and cook for 1 min., stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Fold in blueberries. Ladle int hot jars, leaveing slightly more than 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace by adding hot filling. Wipe rim. Seal. Place in waterbath, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process 30 min. Remover canner lid and let set 5 min. Remove jars, cool, and store.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning for the season Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page